IGNORED

10,000 Calorie Challenge

JMO

I've discovered that there is a genre of vloggers that do 10,000 (or MORE?!) calorie challenges.  They are strangely addicting.  Most are fitness/weightlifting vloggers who do these ridiculous challenges as cheat days.  It's crazy.  Does anyone else watch?  One of the craziest parts is that they will take a several hour long break in the middle of the day to go to the gym. 

This one woman is really good at it:

Ok, I didn't watch the whole thing, but wtf?  Did she eat anything that wasn't mediocre grocery store packages of junk food? What was the point of that? For 10000 calories of cheat foods, you could go to town with high calorie, but tasty real food, but no, she is force feeding herself cheese balls and microwaved nuggets.   I just don't get it.  

28 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Ok, I didn't watch the whole thing, but wtf?  Did she eat anything that wasn't mediocre grocery store packages of junk food? What was the point of that? For 10000 calories of cheat foods, you could go to town with high calorie, but tasty real food, but no, she is force feeding herself cheese balls and microwaved nuggets.   I just don't get it.  

I was wondering this at first too.  Then I watched a bunch.  I'm pretty sure that they all gravitate towards fast foods and junk foods since they have to account for every calorie.   If gourmet bake shops had calorie counts they'd probably go there but instead they go to DD and buy chips.  I also think it has to do with the sheer amount of food they have to eat and making sure that they don't spend a ton of $$.  A dozen donuts from a chain store is cheaper than if they went to a small but delicious bakery and got a dozen pastries. 

All that said, no one ever goes to Starbucks.  I like their food better than DD or taco bell/Mc D/BK. 

Holy crap. This reminds me of the time in college a friend and I were sitting in her apartment, eating from a tub of cookie dough with spoons. Her body builder roommate walked in after several hours at the gym and made herself a protein shake. When she saw what we were doing, she was basically like, “Oh, it’s a cheat day! I can have a chocolate chip!” What? How is that a cheat day??  

3 hours ago, JMO said:

If gourmet bake shops had calorie counts they'd probably go there but instead they go to DD and buy chips.  I also think it has to do with the sheer amount of food they have to eat and making sure that they don't spend a ton of $$.

I guess, but you could do things like make a batch of cookies yourself for cheap (you can find recepies with calorie counts online) and eat the whole batch.  Bake potatoes and load them up with sour cream and cheese. All tastier than the junk she ate. But maybe that's just me. 

I am no stranger to overeating, but to stuff in so much more than is needed seems wasteful. I can't watch eating competitions for the same reason. So many servings of food that isn't even being enjoyed, and there are people going hungry in the world.

The reason they're eating junk food is probably that it's far, far easier to eat 10,000 calories in junk food than it is to eat 10,000 calories in 'real' food. Try to eat 10,000 calories in steak and potatoes, baked chicken breast, sauteed vegetables, even homemade baked goods - you're going to fill up way faster than if you're eating 10,000 calories worth of oreos, chips, bite sized chocolate bars, pizza, etc.

THAT should be the newest youtube craze! 10,000 calorie-or-bust challenge! Raw veggies only, no avocados or olives! 

I have seen a couple of vegan vloggers due the challenge with nothing but real food.  They have to eat an insane amount of produce.  One of the rules is that calories can't come from liquids so they can't even make smoothies or juice to help them out. 

I just watched a guy eat 250 Reeses PB cups.  I can't believe that's a thing.  I also can't believe I just spent 8 mins watching it. 

I'm surprised her MyFitnessPal app didn't cause her phone to self-combust when she was entering all of that stuff. Mine loves to tell me things like "This item has a lot of fat. Your goal for today is to stay under 70g, Fat Ass." (The Fat Ass emphasis is mine.)

This is like that Michael Phelps training diet times ten.

The thought of eating 10,000 of produce makes me want to gag. I love fruits and veggies but that's got to be about a wheelbarrow's worth.

And yet.....now I can't look away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2018 at 2:02 AM, TheOneAndOnly said:

...but to stuff in so much more than is needed seems wasteful. I can't watch eating competitions for the same reason. So many servings of food that isn't even being enjoyed, and there are people going hungry in the world.

I agree,  Eating competitions disgust me.  I don't know how people can feel okay participating in a competition that's about wasting food.  They even have what are called "regurgitation stations" for right after, so they can go throw it all back up!

This reminds me way too much of my eating disorder days when I struggled with bingeing and purging. I think you have to be at a certain level of self-deprivation to find the challenge remotely appealing. 

After a certain point you just... can't eat anymore. There's a horrific photo somewhere of a girl post mortem -- her stomach had torn in the process of making herself vomit. Idk, I'm reminded of that too. 

Also, that has to wreak havoc on your GI system. I can't even imagine trying to digest all that junk at once.

Archived