IGNORED

Maxwell 18: Creating at Least One Mini-Steve

Coconut Flan

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone asked in the comments if Joshua is old enough to compete in the Bible Bee, and said that he would surely do well there. Sarah actually responded the following:

He’s not quite old enough; I believe the youngest age is 7. But I agree, I think he would do very well!

So it sounds like they have actually been (at least very tentatively) considering it, like speaking to Chelsy about it or something. While I, frankly, think the Bible Bee is bullshit, it would at least be an outside activity where they could meet other people, some of which are surely less fundy than the Maxwells. It might actually be f*n.

The fact that I would really love for Joshua to take part in the Bible Bee (for the reasons @JillyO already mentioned) shows just how fucked up life in MaxHell is. 

i've been thinking about Joshua and the Bible Bee, too.  when i read the blog post about him, i wondered if this was an attempt to prepare him for it--Steve may think one of them needs to compete since (i think) one of Chelsy's brothers won it a few years ago and the Bee is yet another way her family upstages Steve's cult.  His ultimate goal may be to have all of his grandsons there together.  (careful, Stevie, that could get prideful.)

Someone commented in the last thread about Prissy and NR-Anna’s living room looking old and gloomy. Isn’t that the house the Maxwells used to live in before they built their current house? They probably don’t have the money for a major makeover, especially with so many little kids.  

Teri is doing some immodest bragging in this month's corners about raising her kids.

She says her children were talking about the way they were raised. They praised she and Steve as parents," especially now that they observe other families from an adult perspective."

So not only do Teri and Steve not see that they've stunted their children's growth, they believe they've done a much better job than other families.

And they're not above bragging about it.

5 hours ago, catlady said:

i've been thinking about Joshua and the Bible Bee, too.  when i read the blog post about him, i wondered if this was an attempt to prepare him for it--Steve may think one of them needs to compete since (i think) one of Chelsy's brothers won it a few years ago and the Bee is yet another way her family upstages Steve's cult.  His ultimate goal may be to have all of his grandsons there together.  (careful, Stevie, that could get prideful.)

I will be surprised if it actually happens. I don’t think Steve would take the risk of a Maxwell publicly entering a godliness competition and not winning. Especially since the Bontragers have done so well in it.

So, Mary & Anna continued their roles as caregivers for their brother's children. Five (?-I'm losing track) year old Joshua's life consists of memorizing books of the bible. They had a caroling party a month later, with the same people they see every.single.damn.day.

I'd say their lives are patheitic but then I'd be the boring one repeating the same shit every.damn.day.

I'm just immensely sad that a five year old little boy's biggest accomplishment is memorizing the bible. 

GiGi is appearing in a lot more pictures. I’m wondering if she’s moved into Maxhell HQ. And if so, has Jesse purchased her house, or is it being reserved for a suitor for Anna or Mary?

49 minutes ago, lilith said:

GiGi is appearing in a lot more pictures. I’m wondering if she’s moved into Maxhell HQ. And if so, has Jesse purchased her house, or is it being reserved for a suitor for Anna or Mary?

At least we know she isn't pushing up daisies.  Poor thing if she had to move into Chez Maxwell.

1 hour ago, lilith said:

And if so, has Jesse purchased her house, or is it being reserved for a suitor for Anna or Mary?

as if that's EVER gonna happen.

how did they observe other families from an adult perspective when they aren’t treated like adults? If they have no real perspective of how other families raise their kids, how do they know the Maxwell way is the best way? It’s not like they have spent time with anyone who doesn’t believe exactly as they do. 

I think Gigi likely moved in awhile ago. I think it’s food for Teri to be around her mom and I would bet that Teri’s parents did a lot of the heavy lifting when she was raising the kids while battling depression. 

2 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

as if that's EVER gonna happen.

I think he’d let Anna or Mary marry if he could find a fanboy suitor who would move in next door, attend nursing home church, work for Communucation Concepts or Swift Otter, and submit himself and his wife totally to Steve. He knows how bad it looks that none of the girls are married, and if Jesse marries, leaving all three at home, it will hurt his brand a lot. And Steve cares a lot about his brand.

What he won’t do is allow any of his kids, daughters especially, out from under his direct control. Sorry Sarah/Molly Moody - you’re not going to get swept away to serve The Lord in Africa with an earnest young missionary.

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I'm just immensely sad that a five year old little boy's biggest accomplishment is memorizing the bible. 

Without changing my opinions one iota on the Maxwells, I do disagree with this. Joshie — he’s a 5-year-old little boy who didn’t choose his parents; I’m going to call him Jidhie to remind myself of that — Joshua may be good at tumbling or bike riding or building blocks as well as memorizing a long story. I also think memorization is a fine skill to practice. And he planned the evening’s events to go around the recitation. That’s pretty much what some of my kids did with skits, “formal” dinners they “cooked” for us, etc. We don’t know anything but what Steve directs PSarah to publish. 

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Someone commented in the last thread about Prissy and NR-Anna’s living room looking old and gloomy. Isn’t that the house the Maxwells used to live in before they built their current house? They probably don’t have the money for a major makeover, especially with so many little kids.  

I don’t find it gloomy in the least!  A little outdated and without much decor, but that actually makes sense to me. OfChris’s primary responsibility is raising her numerous, too closely spaced (JMHO) children, and an uncluttered home has to make things a lot easier.  The flooring looks decent, the walls are well painted and clean.  

I deplore her commitment to scaring her children of doctors in the name of anti-choice brainwashing, but her choice (?) to live in  sparely decorated, basically tidy house makes sense to me. (The Junior Junebugs as littles  weren't really the problem in my chaotic home: it was my idiot ex- who cluttered everything. Tale as old as time...)

I have real problems with talking disparagingly or BEC about a 5 year old because you don’t like like parents or family.  It’s mean spirited, uncomfortable and tacky IMO. He did something he was proud of and set up a special evening for his little presentation and that’s pretty adorable. 

11 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I have real problems with talking disparagingly or BEC about a 5 year old because you don’t like like parents or family.  It’s mean spirited, uncomfortable and tacky IMO. He did something he was proud of and set up a special evening for his little presentation and that’s pretty adorable. 

This.

I don't agree with Maxwell parenting at all. And personally I don't see the point of memorizing Bible verses that one will never be permitted to study and engage in a critical or meaningful way beyond parroting Lord Steve's exceedingly narrow eisegesis.  But for a five year old this is an accomplishment.  Something that he was proud of and wanted to share with family.  That is lovely.

Joshie--meh.  I used to lead an AHG troop years ago. One Mommy had her girls perform an entire book of the Bible, too. It's a "thing" in those circles.  The kids can chant it, but explain it? No way. It's just like your kid learning song lyrics in their car seat because you play the same music all the time. As for Joshie himself? I agree it's like the skits my kids liked to do for me--he naturally loves his family and wants their approval so he performs. He's been told in simple terms that the Bible is the best things to learn and that sharing it saves people from bad things.  He's 5. Tiger Cub Scouts learn simple things to perform, little girls learn ballet steps, etc. He can't help his family or the subject matter.

That said, we will be hearing more about the next generation of Maxwell"men" because they matter. The "girls" will forever just "help" and, as Teri's message said today, "Keep Sweet" and smile.

As to Joshie's folk's house--honestly? Some people truly do not care if their decor is out-of-date. I'm one of them.

Going to the Bible Bee may be the most exciting thing that the Maxwell kids have ever done.  And Steve must be jealous of the tens of thousands of dollars that various Bontrager boys have won over the years.

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

But imagine the pressure Steve would put into that little boy's shoulders:my_confused:

The big reason the little fella is far more to be pitied than scorned.

4 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

That said, we will be hearing more about the next generation of Maxwell"men" because they matter. The "girls" will forever just "help" and, as Teri's message said today, "Keep Sweet" and smile.

The irony of publishing Smiling Melanie as a smiley mom: she’s just started a weekend with   only the least active of her five children, and her husband who probably wouldn’t mind if she reminded him of a pizza obligation. Smile on, Melly!!!

Yes.  The "smiling" post really  bugged me.  Talk about setting girls and women up for dysfunctional relationships.  If you have problems don't talk about them, problem solve your way out of them (I know, critical thinking skills in anyone much less women = bad),  or anything else that might be constructive - just smile.  Smiling will make you and your whole family happier.  Bullshit.  Talking about shoving the "keep sweet" message down women's throats while ensuring they remain powerless and voiceless - and that women enforce this with each other.

56 minutes ago, daisyjane1234 said:

Yes.  The "smiling" post really  bugged me.  Talk about setting girls and women up for dysfunctional relationships.  If you have problems don't talk about them, problem solve your way out of them (I know, critical thinking skills in anyone much less women = bad),  or anything else that might be constructive - just smile.  Smiling will make you and your whole family happier.  Bullshit.  Talking about shoving the "keep sweet" message down women's throats while ensuring they remain powerless and voiceless - and that women enforce this with each other.

Yep, Teri's response to overwhelmed moms contacting her for help, support or guidance is to "give them a project" (because clearly they don't already have enough on their plates) which is basically to "cheer up." smh

Chelsy's sister just published a post with a similiar sentiment, quoting a book encouraging people not to allow "discord or anger" into their homes. Keep sweet, y'all!!

31 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but Nathan has a facebook. 

Awesome!  Just checked it out.  He seems to like knives.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived