• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Swamptribe

Why are the Duggars still on?

HarleyQuinn

The pearl clutching over people having kids out of wedlock always amuses me. I had an older lady I work with commend me on getting pregnant after I got married and kind of glanced over at another pregnant coworker who wasn't. But she had been with her boyfriend for 10 years. That's longer than I was with my husband. How was that worse?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

viii

I started a new job in October 2017, and I actually had to sign a form that I could lose my job if I conceived a child out of wedlock or moved in with a man, lol. 

• Confused 3
  • WTF 14
  • Haha 1

Daisy0322
46 minutes ago, viii said:

I started a new job in October 2017, and I actually had to sign a form that I could lose my job if I conceived a child out of wedlock or moved in with a man, lol. 

I have a good friend who had to sign a contract like that, she works in a catholic high school. Her baby that's due in the summer will be born "prematurely" lol very few people know the real due date.

viii
26 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

I have a good friend who had to sign a contract like that, she works in a catholic high school. Her baby that's due in the summer will be born "prematurely" lol very few people know the real due date.

HA! I work at a Catholic elementary school. I don't know how strict they are about it here, since we have a janitor that has four children and hasn't been married once so... but her dad also used to be the principal, so perhaps that played a part in it. 

kachuu

IMO, if you're an adult regardless of relationship status, you realize the gravity of getting pregnant. I'm more upset with the teens getting pregnant and they just have no clue about how much it costs, what it'll take to raise a child & how it'll change their lives from that point onward. My little 16 year old cousin hid her pregnancy the whole time (she's due any day now) and it's like GIRL you just have no idea! This isn't a glamorized episode of 16 and pregnant that ends in an hour.

Also- my cousin lives in borderline poverty, doesn't come from a good home situation and I worry this is just the cycle of poverty continuing. She doesn't have a lot of good influences in her life- her mom including. (who is STOKED her daughter is pregnant and they can raise her kid & her younger children together-- THE FUCK.)

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 4
  • Love 1

singsingsing
43 minutes ago, viii said:

HA! I work at a Catholic elementary school. I don't know how strict they are about it here, since we have a janitor that has four children and hasn't been married once so... but her dad also used to be the principal, so perhaps that played a part in it. 

This is actually really disturbing to me. Please tell me that the Catholic school you work for is at least a private school. I can't recall what province you're in, but in Ontario (most) Catholic schools are public (which is ridiculous in and of itself, but that's an issue for another day) and I can't imagine that they could legally force their staff to sign such a document.

viii

I'm in Saskatchewan, and no, we are a public school. I was also pretty surprised at the document I had to sign, and whether or not it would ever hold up in court I don't know. 

singsingsing
32 minutes ago, viii said:

I'm in Saskatchewan, and no, we are a public school. I was also pretty surprised at the document I had to sign, and whether or not it would ever hold up in court I don't know. 

Damn. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen!

viii

I know! That's what I thought, but I guess if I'm signing it, does that mean I agree with it? I have very little plans of having a child, so I'm not overly concerned, but I do have to wonder how legal it is. 

Rosalie
14 minutes ago, viii said:

I know! That's what I thought, but I guess if I'm signing it, does that mean I agree with it? I have very little plans of having a child, so I'm not overly concerned, but I do have to wonder how legal it is. 

I would guess that a contract won’t beat the law. But I don’t know how things work in your country.

viii

I would guess that it wouldn't either, if it really came down to it. 

GeoBQn

My family had a minor uproar when I got into genealogy and found that my great-grandparents got married in May 1909.  My great-aunt, their eldest child, was born in December 1909.  She must have had some idea, because in a cassette recording of her talking about the family history someone noted that they got married after not dating for very long.  My great-aunt responded, "They couldn't wait."

I've stopped making jokes about "8 pound preemies" after I found the death certificate for my grandmother's brother, who was actually born prematurely in 1912.  He died when he was 36 hours old from a collapsed lung, and I don't think he even got a name.

CorruptionInc.
On 14/02/2018 at 12:22 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

The pearl clutching over people having kids out of wedlock always amuses me. I had an older lady I work with commend me on getting pregnant after I got married and kind of glanced over at another pregnant coworker who wasn't. But she had been with her boyfriend for 10 years. That's longer than I was with my husband. How was that worse?

The problem is with some people they don't realise that there are many ways to do the same thing.

These same people are the narrow minded ones and problems in the world.

I had to politely lecture my assistant the other day when she asked me "do you think O is gay?" (O is coworker).

When I asked her WHY she thought that and why she thought it was ok to ask that, she gave me the silliest reasons. I then had to explain just one thing does not make someone "gay" and who cares if he was second of all. Lastly, the lecture on all different kinds in the world and we have no right to be speculating on someone's sexuality.

AnnEggBlandHer?

I personally don’t care if people get married or don’t. However, I am shocked at how many people I know who won’t get married because it’s too much of a commitment, but choose to have a child (or children) with that person. “Because if we aren’t married we don’t have to get divorced when we break up.” If you are already planning your future break up, I don’t think children are the best choice. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 6