IGNORED

Why are the Duggars still on?

Swamptribe

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I think Kim Jong Boob knows where TLC buried some bodies, personally. 

You win the FJ snark award for this. :my_heart:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

You win the FJ snark award for this. :my_heart:

I wish I could take credit for that nickname, i can't remember who started it.

Before the scandals hit I really wanted to see how long the intro would get with all new weddings and kids. At some point it would be longer then the actual show. 

I watched until the abuse stuff. I’m a homeschooling mother of three, two with special needs. Honestly I watched because sometimes you just want to sit on the couch in the middle of the day and not talk. The show allowed me to do that because it was “wholesome”. 

I used to be a full blown fan...I’d say I 50% loved them and thought they were genuine and amazing, and 50% thought they were a freak show and I couldn’t help but watch. But either way...watched the show, bought the books, went to a freaking book signing to meet them. It’s embarrassing, and I completely feel like i was fooled by their front! I consider myself reformed now and can only hope many of the current viewers are just working their way through the stages of learning the truth about them, but I don’t really think that’s the case. I think a shocking and scary number of people really do think they are good examples of a Christian family and should be admired. 

2 hours ago, AnnEggBlandHer? said:

I used to be a full blown fan...I’d say I 50% loved them and thought they were genuine and amazing, and 50% thought they were a freak show and I couldn’t help but watch. But either way...watched the show, bought the books, went to a freaking book signing to meet them. It’s embarrassing, and I completely feel like i was fooled by their front! I consider myself reformed now and can only hope many of the current viewers are just working their way through the stages of learning the truth about them, but I don’t really think that’s the case. I think a shocking and scary number of people really do think they are good examples of a Christian family and should be admired. 

There's a real 'train wreck' type of voyeurism with the Duggars.  You don't want to look but you can't make yourself look away.

Here's the thing; I can't understand why anyone admired the Duggars even before the scandals became public knowledge. They have always been misogynistic, intolerant, always practiced abusive parenting (I'm talking about JB&M here), they had/have the really wierd courtship thing that is not healthy at all... Even though they got better at hiding the worst stuff, I think anyone could see their way of life was/is pretty fucked up, sparkly wedding dresses or not. 

I'm not attacking you @AnnEggBlandHer? or anyone else, but I genuenly don't understand why people saw them as a good example. You can be a good Christian without being a sexist, homophobic, anti-intellectual, anti-choice, anti-birth control, controlling abusing asshole straight from the bronze age! 

1 minute ago, Queen said:

Here's the thing; I can't understand why anyone admired the Duggars even before the scandals became public knowledge. They have always been misogynistic, intolerant, always practiced abusive parenting (I'm talking about JB&M here), they had/have the really wierd courtship thing that is not healthy at all... Even though they got better at hiding the worst stuff, I think anyone could see their way of life was/is pretty fucked up, sparkly wedding dresses or not. 

I'm not attacking you @AnnEggBlandHer? or anyone else, but I genuenly don't understand why people saw them as a good example. You can be a good Christian without being a sexist, homophobic, anti-intellectual, anti-choice, anti-birth control, controlling abusing asshole straight from the bronze age! 

Didn’t come across as attacking, I question it myself for sure. 

I actually came around well before the scandals, and as for the rest of it—they don’t advertise the bad things. On the surface, you just see a ‘Christian’ family who is unusual in their huge size, and some weird beliefs that made them kind of fascinating. It’s not like they sit around on the show talking about heir horrible beliefs, it’s all spun in a positive, or at least ‘we’re quirky but harmless’ way. For someone watching for sheer entertainment value, it’s so easy to stop there. For me, it was the type of show I watched when I wanted to turn my brain off.  I really credit FJ for opening my eyes and making me actually think about what their practices are, and like I said, I felt embarrassed and naive for seeing their actions and beliefs as just weird instead of harmful. 

1 minute ago, AnnEggBlandHer? said:

Didn’t come across as attacking, I question it myself for sure. 

I actually came around well before the scandals, and as for the rest of it—they don’t advertise the bad things. On the surface, you just see a ‘Christian’ family who is unusual in their huge size, and some weird beliefs that made them kind of fascinating. It’s not like they sit around on the show talking about heir horrible beliefs, it’s all spun in a positive, or at least ‘we’re quirky but harmless’ way. For someone watching for sheer entertainment value, it’s so easy to stop there. For me, it was the type of show I watched when I wanted to turn my brain off.  I really credit FJ for opening my eyes and making me actually think about what their practices are, and like I said, I felt embarrassed and naive for seeing their actions and beliefs as just weird instead of harmful.  

Thank you! It makes more sense to me now. I personally cannot understand seeing for example not allowing your daughters - or even your sons - to get a real education and a job as something quirky or harmless, and I'm sure you don't either! But yeah, maybe people just don't think too much when they watch 19KAC/CO? 

9 minutes ago, Queen said:

They actually hid their worst aspects pretty well. Also, keep in mind, many of their admirers may not be as extreme as they are, but they are also misogynistic, intolerant, probably spank their children, are against gay rights, anti-abortion, etc. The Duggars presented as a shiny happy Christian family who just happened to have a ton of kids and lived by those good old 'traditional' values.

Other people might be too far removed from far right fundamentalist Christian culture in America to realize (at least at first) how truly fucked up it is. This was me. Way back in my early early 20s, I was a wannabe fundie. Why? My own life was a mess, I was struggling with anxiety and depression, and I wanted answers, rules, and someone to tell me what to do! Dressing up in long skirts and going to church and being nice to everyone and following a bunch of rules seemed like a nice life to me. I didn't know any actual fundies, nor had I been exposed to the dark sides of that culture, because I live in an urban area in Canada and was raised in a secular, liberal household.

I never even came close to actually being a fundie, but there was definitely a time that I thought the Duggars were swell people, and maybe they were way more conservative than me, but gosh darnit they weren't hurting anyone! When I first started lurking on FJ, I thought that FJ was TERRIBLE. EVIL. NASTY. CRUEL. But I paid attention to what was said here. I learned about what the Duggars actually stood for, about ATI, IBLP, the Pearls, all the fuckery that goes on in these circles, the very real consequences for real people, and my attitude changed. Finding FJ actually had a lot to do with ending my flirtation with supporting* fundamentalist Christianity, so thanks, ya'll.

*Again, I never could have been a fundie myself. I liked beer and believed in evolution and could not relinquish my scary librul political views, like universal healthcare being the bee's knees. But I really, really wanted all the parts I liked about fundamentalism, minus all the bits I didn't like, and I tried pretty hard for a while to reconcile it. And some of those beliefs really screwed with my head. I can only imagine what it's like to actually be entrenched in real fundamentalism for years. Major props to those of you who have gotten out.

@AnnEggBlandHer? I felt the same way as you and @singsingsing at first:  they’re not hurting anyone and they’re interesting in a train wreck sort of way. Now I have seen the error of their ways. Lol

As an aside, would you be willing to explain your screen name to me, @AnnEggBlandHer? ? I’ve tried saying it out loud and with emphasis of various syllables but...  lol

1 hour ago, Queen said:

Thank you! It makes more sense to me now. I personally cannot understand seeing for example not allowing your daughters - or even your sons - to get a real education and a job as something quirky or harmless, and I'm sure you don't either! But yeah, maybe people just don't think too much when they watch 19KAC/CO? 

I think I got fascinated almost the same way as if I watched a freak show.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

As an aside, would you be willing to explain your screen name to me, @AnnEggBlandHer? ? I’ve tried saying it out loud and with emphasis of various syllables but...  lol

It’s an Arrested Development reference! The son is dating a girl named Ann who is portrayed an unattractive and forgettable, and his father refers to Ann at various times as ‘Bland’ ‘Egg’ and most often, ‘her?’ 

I found the Duggars to be a fascinating train wreck back in the day. I didn't realize that they were in a cult, just thought that they had their own thing and that was fine. I can still hear Michelle saying all the names in my head. 

55 minutes ago, AnnEggBlandHer? said:

It’s an Arrested Development reference! The son is dating a girl named Ann who is portrayed an unattractive and forgettable, and his father refers to Ann at various times as ‘Bland’ ‘Egg’ and most often, ‘her?’ 

Haha! I loved Arrested Development and yet completely missed the reference. I thought it was a Duggar pronunciation of an egg blender. 

When the Duggars first started appearing on our televisions years ago I immediately wrote them off as crazy and forgot about them. Years later I discovered the show was still on via a birthing marathon on TLC, became obsessed and started watching new episodes and going back for the old ones. I started watching around the time Jill and Jessa started courting. I was fascinated with so many things about this show and family and when you watch shows, esp reality shows you tend to develop a soft spot for the people you are watching. I definitely became the devil's  Duggar's advocate in my mind for a while even though I realized the Duggar's would not be an advocate for me as I was nothing like them. I admired aspects of their life that reflected things possibly missing in my own. The show presents everything in such a positive light. By this time the J'slaves had updated their wardrobe and hairdo's and they looked good...and relate-able, the TTH was finished and there were always little kids running around playing and family projects. I think there were times when I was alone in a city, living in a crappy apartment, working a lot but barely making ends meet. not getting to see family and friends, perhaps turning to vices to cope with stress and depression. Sometimes the world of 19KAC looked so cozy and happy and not lonely. Sometimes I would think how can I judge them when I am so miserable.

However the show is not reality and I know (always knew) that. I think sometimes you gotta taste a drop of the kool aid to know what you're dealing with. For a long time I didn't know if I was a Duggar "fan" or not. Were there not more people like me? people who perhaps had some love for the Duggar fam and esp. the kids as people that they followed but disagreed with almost everything they stood for and wanted to get to the actual bottom of their beliefs and pick them apart. People who were horrified by fundamentalism and needed to discuss it. I was so glad to find FJ...for the community, for the information, for the snark...for the ability to work out what and why my preoccupation with this family and this culture is. I'm still working it out.

I'm going to be watching the new season because I'm not done yet, I guess I haven't had enough. I do expect it to be oppressively boring and this season might just bore me out for good but for now I'm still on board. Plus this will be the first time I get to watch the season and see the live snark on FJ. I probably wont always be in a position where I have the time or access to do this in the future, but this one time I can so damn it I am gonna be on it like a bonnet.

On 2/6/2018 at 12:49 PM, singsingsing said:

I've kept watching the show over the years. I find it kind of weirdly relaxing, like I'll put it on and do some colouring. Of course I've been growing more and more uncomfortable continuing to watch it, because I feel like I'm inadvertently supporting their cult. Also, it's gotten really freaking boring.

Yes! This is me too. Especially with Bringing Up Bates but both shows weirdly relax me while I’m doing tasks around my house. I guess because I don’t really have to pay attention. If I look away for one minute or even ten I won’t have to catch up because nothing really happened.

My husband loves Arrested Debelopment so he would’ve gotten the reference.

Meanwhile I thought it was like Mad Gab and was congratulating myself on being witty enough to realize it was “An Egg Blender.” So thanks for bringing me back down to Earth!:my_rolleyes:

Why are the Duggars still on? Because no matter what awful things they stand for or how much abuse is covered up, people will still find reasons to watch the show. As long as people watch, TLC will keep them. 

I am, in the words of Pascal, “so made that I cannot believe.” I’m an atheist through and through, even though many times I’ve wished that I wasn’t. That is the part of me that watches the Duggars and finds in absolutely soothing. To sort of have the choices taken out of life, to not have to think for yourself because you’re following the will of your god...there’s  certain peace to that. But alas I can’t  manage the cognitive dissonance that goes along with religion. So....it’s a no go.

Arrested Development is my favorite show of all time. My favorite joke is one rarely noticed but it’s when Tobias is in jail, renames himself Dorothy, then all the other inmate start calling themselves Friends of Dorothy. Oh, Tobias and his euphemisms.

UP (for "Uplifting") TV, the channel the Bates show is on, seems to be pretty wholesome.  People do have alternatives, depending on their cable lineup.

I used to watch the Duggars for years, but got bored and almost never watch them now.  Don't even know the day and time the new series is starting.  It's soooo repetitive.  I wonder if they've been trying to hypnotize the viewers...sort of like listening to store music when you shop.  Doubt anyone's tuning in for new, stunning content.

Maybe TLC is continuing with "Counting" to protect their ability to show Duggar specials in years to come.  I think they could probably do an hour-long show once or twice a year, catching up on the breeding and whatever else the Duggars are up to, that would be interesting to the people who have followed them over the years.

My sister in law thought that they were great because they never took anything from the government. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

I started watching when Jackson was born. It's weird that I didn't notice all the girls wearing dresses until much later. It just didn't stand out with me. I really didn't take notice of craziness until Josh got engaged. That's when I realized they were not "normal".  Well guess that's rude so I'll call them "different". I still remember the episode with lil Jackson dancing to music from a toy and Jana sounding very annoyed to have to explain why it was wrong and JB looking like the devil was gonna jump out any second. Oh wait, what about Joy covering the TV screen because there were people wearing low neck blouses. And them ugly damn wholesome, swimwear outfits. Oh and according to Pa Keller people in the Bible drinked grape juice...not wine. So I guess Jesus made grape juice instead of wine. Oh well, my list could go on....

Archived