IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 2: Growing (a Little Bit) Older Together

Jellybean

3 hours ago, elliha said:

Of course young people have walkers too, I don't however found that relevant when explaining my position in this. I simply don't see walkers as a symbol of terrible things, I think it is just a practical tool for those who need it. 

My point was that my young friend may see her walker as a painful reminder of her illness (which it is, certainly) and how different her life is today. So just because you (and Carlin) don't see them as a symbol of terrible things, others do. Autoimmune diseases can be terrible things, and leave children disabled and in chronic pain and . . . using walkers.

Sounds like you have experience with a person needing oxygen, so you feel that the use of the tank is over the top. However, you don't have experience with anyone brought down by a disease and requiring a walker, so you are ok with using a walker as a prop.

I actually think it depends on the person who is using the equipment. Would Carlin use those props in the presence of a sick person, and if so, how would that person feel about it? I suspect some would feel bad, some wouldn't. But as long as there's a chance I might hurt someone (who already has health problems), I wouldn't do it.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Medical equipment really shouldn't be treated like a joke prop that you drag out to make people laugh, which is exactly what they were doing. These are things that many people depend on to get through the day, not gag props. 

10 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I think that it was. They have never done a themed “I Love You Day” before!

Not to mention it was done 10 days early when the entire family could travel to TN. I believe this was definitely production-driven stuff. 

eta: I also found both the walker and the oxygen tank in very poor taste. Heaven forbid they break a hip or wind up with COPD or emphezyma when they're older. Not cute at.all.

19 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I think that it was. They have never done a themed “I Love You Day” before!

They had a “Farm” theme one year. That’s when we got to witness them playing that very nike game with the tissue boxes.

They also had one year where they made the men serve the meals and sing them nursery rhyme songs. 

But it does seem like it’s for TV.

14 hours ago, Hisey said:

My point was that my young friend may see her walker as a painful reminder of her illness (which it is, certainly) and how different her life is today. So just because you (and Carlin) don't see them as a symbol of terrible things, others do. Autoimmune diseases can be terrible things, and leave children disabled and in chronic pain and . . . using walkers.

Sounds like you have experience with a person needing oxygen, so you feel that the use of the tank is over the top. However, you don't have experience with anyone brought down by a disease and requiring a walker, so you are ok with using a walker as a prop.

I actually think it depends on the person who is using the equipment. Would Carlin use those props in the presence of a sick person, and if so, how would that person feel about it? I suspect some would feel bad, some wouldn't. But as long as there's a chance I might hurt someone (who already has health problems), I wouldn't do it.

My point was that medical equipment that is almost solely used by people with serious and life threatening conditions is different from equipment used by a wide variety of people. Oxygen is not commonly used and usually as a last resort when other methods are not available. A walker can be used by people who are able to walk in some situations, instead of a cane if that is your preference and most people who use them are not seriously ill. I have worked in care of the elderly so I have met plenty of terminally ill people with and without walkers but not who required oxygen who was not very seriously ill or even dying. I also wouldn't be too concerned by the use of a wheel chair or a cane for example as they can also be used for such variety of reasons.

I think the theme of the party is stupid to begin with but that is another story.

The Bates have had very little go wrong for them. Even when they were poor and grifting they somehow still managed to get by, which they see as God blessing them for their awful beliefs instead of the fact that they live in this country where services are available and people have expendable income to give away.  But I digress. I think that for all their so-called godliness (I say so-called) they have little to no empathy for other people because they have never actually suffered themselves. The sad truth is that not all people are born with the ability to think outside themselves as to how actions and behaviors will make them feel. 

Sorry, I am on a soapbox. But it is one of the reasons we are so glad our children go to a multi-cultural school with people from all different backgrounds and experiences. You've got to be able to look out into the world and see things the way others see or feel them IMHO.  

The Bates are very selfish people. Fundie Zoolander and Carlin's look at me attitude are perfect for each other and it doesn't surprise me at all that they would see nothing wrong with using as props somethings that are, for a lot of people, a necessity for the struggles they go through every day.

Okay, off soap box. 

On 2/8/2018 at 5:19 AM, elliha said:

My point was that medical equipment that is almost solely used by people with serious and life threatening conditions is different from equipment used by a wide variety of people. Oxygen is not commonly used and usually as a last resort when other methods are not available. A walker can be used by people who are able to walk in some situations, instead of a cane if that is your preference and most people who use them are not seriously ill. I have worked in care of the elderly so I have met plenty of terminally ill people with and without walkers but not who required oxygen who was not very seriously ill or even dying. I also wouldn't be too concerned by the use of a wheel chair or a cane for example as they can also be used for such variety of reasons.

I think the theme of the party is stupid to begin with but that is another story.

Well, I agree that the use of oxygen is a more likely sign of serious lung disease.

However, it's certainly not true that most people who use walkers are "not seriously ill." That's ridiculous.

Why do you think people use walkers? Because they have diseases like multiple sclerosis, late-stage cancer, ALS, cerebral palsy, etc., all of which are very serious conditions. They might not be dying of them tomorrow, but they are long-term, chronic illnesses that seriously impair one's quality of life and ability to function.

It's not like first you get sick, the you use a walker and then you advance to oxygen, so oxygen is the "most serious" medical aide. What about people who never need oxygen and their body still weakens and fails? They use walkers.

You seem to have this idea that only nice, old (perfectly healthy) grannies use walkers when they are feeling a little tired. That is far from true.

Count me as one of those who don't like them using an oxygen machine or walker. I have to use a walker to get around. I'm lucky enough that we have two. One the normal metal one I use for the doctors office or visits to people's houses. Anything that's a short distance and I'll be sitting down with in a couple minutes. We were lucky enough to find a second walker that has a seat. I use that for places where its standing room only or the distance of walking is further. That on good days. Bad days I'm in wheelchair. Semi bad days are when I have to use the walker to get around the house. Part of my medical problems is my legs will randomly not work or they are too weak to walk on. We don't know why or the cause or anything. My mother went on oxygen when I was in my teens. She remained on it until the end. The last few months we had to watch her because she would take it off. And then forget. Or she'd take it off when we sleep which scared the crap out of us because you could never be sure how long it was off. My mom and I shared the walker until of course the day when it became clear we both needed a walker at the same time. My brother was lucky enough to find one at a garage sale. I don't mind when its little kids using it or playing with walkers. My nephew has played with the walkers. But I do mind when its teens or older.

19 hours ago, JessaBlessa said:

Did any of them use a hearing aid for a prop?  I wonder if Addallee would have been offended by that.

I suppose she might feel a bit hurt when they were laughing away, but then "keep sweet" and say nothing. I don't think women and girls are really allowed to get "offended" in this cult. They probably hardly know what that feels like. An uneasy disquiet is what they feel instead.

"It's unpopular to stand 
When all the rest are sitting down;"

According to Evan's Instagram Maegan also wrote a song called "I Choose To Stand" against athletes protesting police brutality.

F**K you and your smug white privilege cloaked in pseudo-Christian sanctimony, Maegan.

Same goes to your family and  you future sister in law (whirling in a field like she's a future Von Trapp)

You guys are shitting me, right?  Ah, but I see right through it and recognize that that is actually Barbie Savior twirling around so fetchingly, complete with a ridiculous and self-righteous homily. Haha. Nice try.

I so agree @HereticHick that little tidbit of bullshit jumped out at me as well. Also the whole thing sucks. Its very shallow and corny, and doesnt evoke any real emotion. Reminds me of a terrible poem I wrote in middle school that didnt come from a real, heartfelt place at all. Its an embarrassment.

In other words, I'm a know-it-all twit who think that the world revolves around my version of right. Fuck you Carlin. You have no idea what people go through! It's super popular to shut the fuck up about things you don't know about! 

I strained my eyes from rolling them at that Carlin post. Also if Carlin wants to be a hip IG star she needs to shorten these captions. Ain’t nobody got time for poetry captions.

Evan posted this for Valentine's day:

I find it kind of funny that he remarked upon the fact that Carlin always seems to be smashing food into his face for pictures. Carlin responded:

Your smirk is ridiculously adorable! Cheers to spending many more together! ohhh yeah.... sorry that’s a bad habit, but I’ll think about breaking it! #youareperfect

Sure, Carlin. It's such a bad habit and not at all staged for pictures. :roll:

And they went fishing..

And these rigns like an engagament.. Specially according to insta storys there is half of families with them..

No matter what, pitcures are beautiful, Carlin is beautiful and really like the dress. :pb_mrgreen:

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived