IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 2: Growing (a Little Bit) Older Together

Jellybean

I forgot, Michael did attend a community college. Does anyone remember what she studied?

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

LOL no it's not a big deal for the girls to finish. They let Alyssa drop out to get married.  that whole Tori and Bobby scene was staged they knew that Kelly and Gil were not going to say no. there hasn't been a long bates engagement ever.  

I think it is a big deal but the girls are allowed to choose in the end.

However this kind of thing is based on the person's perception of what is going on. I do believe the scene was staged but Tori still finished and went on to do student teaching any how which points to importance. Also, Alyssa got married pre Josh scandal. And I am telling you this family has thought twice about how they push these girls into marriages.

It is important for these girls to go to college and finish or the parents wouldn't pressure them past the point they already pushed. 

Same thing with Zach and Whitney kissing before marriage.  Yes a big deal, but still it was their choice in the end. Them doing so does not mean it was not important to the parents.

@VelociRapture

I know Josie is done. Just wondering if they were waiting for her to finish first. As in if she wanted to get engaged earlier would there have been a push for her to complete most of her degree before she became a wife. Guess this can only be speculation until the family speaks on it.

___

I also want to clarify I do not in any way think the Bates are "better" but their approach is different and worth noting to me. 

4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I forgot, Michael did attend a community college. Does anyone remember what she studied?

I think she graduated from Roane State College with a degree in liberal arts with a minor in health science.

I think Kelly and Gil push their children into education because they know they cannot foot the bill for their children and their partners and a bazillion grandchildren. While Derick, Jeremy and Ben hold some sort of college education it seems that only Jeremy successfully supports his family. Ben, Derick and I believe Josh seem to be dependent on JB to a certain degree (even though I have no proof whatsoever). Austin is more like Chad, Zach, Kelton, John and even Evan and Brandon in that regard. They are employed (and obviously employable) and seem fine in supporting their families. Having employable women in the family only ensures further that they won’t stand on Gil and Kelly‘s step straight away. 

So I don’t believe Gil and Kelly are good humanitarians really supporting higher education but more realistic and strategically making sure they won’t have to foot the bill in the end. But that doesn’t mean the wrong intentions cannot have a good result. Those Bates‘ kids seem to be much more fit for their own life right now. Let’s see how it looks in 10 years. 

I do also wonder if the push to send them to college is because of prestige/reputation and public image, if that makes sense.

From their perspective, not only are the Bates children from a godly, wholesome family, they're pretty good  looking and have money and fame. Making them "educated" (by homeschooling fundie standards) makes them that little bit better than your standard cult member.

It probably also makes them a bit more relatable to the everyday viewers who aren't aware of the cult. It seems perfectly normal for a 19 year old girl to go to college and have a boyfriend, it's just they are "more Christian" and therefore are better and good role models.

Kelly and Gil are both college graduates and it seems important to them that their kids at least give it a shot. I think this is miles better than how Jb and ofjb approach it.

I got married before my ba was finished and went on to complete it.

@Kelsey

Rofl @ ofJB! For some reason that made me cackle even though in essence it's all very sad (if forced on others). I don't pitty the ones who choose the lifestyle like Michelle and Kelly for that matter.

I think that's the bulk of it for the Bates.They believe higher education of some sort is important because of their own experience. I am not sure it gets any more complex than that. I do believe prestige is apart of it as it is for many who choose to receive professional accredation. I am strongly suspecting it is now a smart plan (as someone else said) for the kids. They know the TV days are not forever. They don't have a real estate empire like the Duggars. When it all dies down these kids gotta be able to live on their own. 

I can only hope Tori does some real teaching. I don't care if it's a private Christian school. So long as she is not doing all this education to home school ONLY, I am happy she is building a career outside the home.

Right now we have Whitney working outside the home while being a wife and mother. Totally awesome and ground breaking for their belief system.

Josie is working outside their home but only time will tell what she does once she marries and has children.

Tori is student teaching outside the home but again we will see what she does once she gets married.

Erin has her music stuff.

Michaela has an online store.

Alyssa works for John's cleaning company. I am not sure what else she does but I know she leaves out for work becaus she was pissed one day when he returned late to get the kids when she had to be at an assignment.

I have no idea what Carlin does or aspires to do. Maybe singing?

So far so good for this plan.

11 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

@Kelsey

Rofl @ ofJB! For some reason that made me cackle even though in essence it's all very sad (if forced on others). I don't pitty the ones who choose the lifestyle like Michelle and Kelly for that matter.

I think that's the bulk of it for the Bates.They believe higher education of some sort is important because of their own experience. I am not sure it gets any more complex than that. I do believe prestige is apart of it as it is for many who choose to receive professional accredation. I am strongly suspecting it is now a smart plan (as someone else said) for the kids. They know the TV days are not forever. They don't have a real estate empire like the Duggars. When it all dies down these kids gotta be able to live on their own. 

I can only hope Tori does some real teaching. I don't care if it's a private Christian school. So long as she is not doing all this education to home school ONLY, I am happy she is building a career outside the home.

Right now we have Whitney working outside the home while being a wife and mother. Totally awesome and ground breaking for their belief system.

Josie is working outside their home but only time will tell what she does once she marries and has children.

Tori is student teaching outside the home but again we will see what she does once she gets married.

Erin has her music stuff.

Michaela has an online store.

Alyssa works for John's cleaning company. I am not sure what else she does but I know she leaves out for work becaus she was pissed one day when he returned late to get the kids when she had to be at an assignment.

I have no idea what Carlin does or aspires to do. Maybe singing?

So far so good for this plan.

I think Both Carlin and Trace are pursuing music or at least they both went to new york with the the crown choir and no other mention of what they are doing has been brought up that I can remember. 

I can't access the Bates Family website at work, but Zach's bio years ago referred to college classes online. I've always been curious about when it was never mentioned again, or where he was taking classes from.

They never stop eating.  If you were to believe their IG accounts those two just eat junkfood all the time. 

On 4/15/2018 at 10:52 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

I think Both Carlin and Trace are pursuing music or at least they both went to new york with the the crown choir and no other mention of what they are doing has been brought up that I can remember. 

Trave said previously (I think on an Instagram story) that he was doing a one year bible study program. Something like that.

I remember posting about it when he said it.

New pitcures of Carlin and Evan. I have to say Carlin looks really beautiful and radiant. Probably her birthday celebration, and maybe engagment. Alot of speculations about ring on her left finger in IG comments.

Spoiler

Well it's certainly more raised up/bumpy than her usual ring on that finger. Its normally a slightly raised infinity symbol, where that looks more like a centre stone with two smaller side stones.

Why are they so dressed up? Where are they going? To me they look like high school students going to their formal (prom)! 

My only guess as to why it wouldn't be an engagement is because I believe the Big Sandy conference is on currently and I'm guessing Gil and Kelly are speaking. Can anyone confirm that?

51 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Why are they so dressed up? Where are they going? To me they look like high school students going to their formal (prom)! 

My only guess as to why it wouldn't be an engagement is because I believe the Big Sandy conference is on currently and I'm guessing Gil and Kelly are speaking. Can anyone confirm that?

Based on Evan’s sister’s Instagram story, they went to se Wicked on the theatre. And before that, they went to P.F. Chang’s (with those outfits on) based on Evan’s Instagram story.

i’m happy Carlin gets to go to a play (and one of my favorites!). But I remember going to see Wicked on Broadway about 7 years ago and not dressing up as much as Carlin. She definitely looks like going to the prom

To me it looks like the same ring she wore at Disney. I don’t think PF Chang’s and a play are elaborate enough for a Carvan engagement. It will most definitely be a day of ridiculous preplanned games.

B270F170-AEA6-4000-8189-307BABC96CD4.png

When I saw the dress Carlin wore in my Instagram I thought, “oh look, Carlin’s going to prom.”  Because she blends in with all the photos of friends and family’s kids going to prom this weekend,  

At first i was unsure about Evan, but now i think that he is perfect for Carlin. She found a guy who likes to show off as much as she does, and she seems happier when she is with him and his family than when she is with hers.

First thing I thought was I am glad Carlin got her prom moment. I think theyre already engaged. But the family would have announced it already, right? I don't remember them officially announcing their courtship. I tried to go back and find it but I'm too lazy to search that far in the past. lol

@llucie I definitely agree. I initially thought Carlin to be annoying af. But I have seen another side of her. I think having to wait has humbled her and she and Evan blend well. Their courtship footage was extremely romantic. I do see *some* maturity in her lately but she's hasn't lost her over the top flair. Good. Youth should be youthful. 

If I read the instagram post right, I thought he said something like her left hand was heavy so I held it. And then that made everyone speculate as to why her hand was heavy. So I kinda think they are engaged now. Guess it's time for full frontal hugs and wedding planning.

8 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

If I read the instagram post right, I thought he said something like her left hand was heavy so I held it. And then that made everyone speculate as to why her hand was heavy. So I kinda think they are engaged now. Guess it's time for full frontal hugs and wedding planning.

They already do full frontal hugs in courtship. I think most of the younger Bates girls do.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived