IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 2: Growing (a Little Bit) Older Together

Jellybean

Continued from here:

Last post on previous thread (by @Jellybean):

I have no problem with people playing in my wheelchair when I’m not sitting in it (as long as they’re not too wide for it and are relatively careful). I think that people can sometimes gain a great deal of insight from experiencing the world from a seated position as I do (or with other tools that might help them experience dementia, visual/hearing problems, peripheral neuropathy, etc). 

I think a lot of the backlash is coming from a place of understanding. Pain, severe breathing problems, mobility difficulties...all those things are real and can be utterly devastating for people who experience them, and for their loved ones. 

Personally, I think it would have been funnier if they’d just dressed up without the medical props, but I accept that I’m looking at it from a very different perspective. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evan works at a doctors office, he has most certainly seen a suffering COPD patient wheeling an oxygen tank that's practically his lifeline. THAT makes him an insensible asshole.

You don't have to go through something or watch a loved one die to understand this to some extend, it's called empathy.

Had an oncology course at medschool recently where we talked about treating dying patients.

Those students have all dealt with cancer patients before, been in the room when the doctor told the whole family that there's nothing more they can do, they've treated dying patient, yet some of them display zero sympathy or understanding.

This isn't about lack of knowledge or experience, it's about being a shitty, egotistical person.

asshole.png

@just_ordinary, I found it insensitive for the reasons others have stated, but also because of the implication that being old equals needing an oxygen tank. Carlin states that she ‘loves old people’ but here I think she and Evan are stereotyping the elderly as being ill.  There are many people in their 80’s, 90’s and upward who are healthy and independent. 

You did make me think about it though.  The usual old person prop is a cane and I don’t think I would have questioned that at all.  The oxygen tank seems a step too far, somehow.  Maybe because my almost 89-year-old Dad is healthy and vibrant and happily planning his birthday trip to London in a few weeks.  Food for thought, for sure.

#Carlinlovesoldpeople as much as #Jesuslovesthemall

i hope some of Evan's med center colleagues see his oxygen tank pictures and rip him a new one.

It's just too over the top for me. I know that it was for TV, however, it's rude. I have watched my grandmother struggle to breathe. I watched as my brother fought for every breath that he could get. Oxygen tanks are not a prop for some part, they're a piece of serious medical equipment. 

Carlin and Evan think that it's soooo funny that this might happen when they are old. What if it happens next week? People have medical conditions all the time that takes them off their feet in a second. Then what? 

For me it is a little bit like the ‘we love children so we hate abortion’ but the fact that they don’t do anything to help children who are born(as far as I can tell) if Carlin loves old people then does she do anything to help them? Dressing up may be ok, even though I do find the props insensitive, but to reply to critics on with ‘I love old people’ is shallow and missing the point. 

You know, even saying ‘I love old people’ is kind of insensitive as it just lumps them all into a group defined simply by the fact that they are old. 

Crap, I submitted that prematurely. Was going to add that I may be overreaching but the whole idea is off-putting somehow. 

10 minutes ago, purplepeony said:

For me it is a little bit like the ‘we love children so we hate abortion’ but the fact that they don’t do anything to help children who are born(as far as I can tell) if Carlin loves old people then does she do anything to help them? Dressing up may be ok, even though I do find the props insensitive, but to reply to critics on with ‘I love old people’ is shallow and missing the point. 

The Dillards: " We love Chinese"

That and the fact that she deleted a comment kindly telling her that they had a family member die of COPD and they pray Carlin never has to experience that

Makes me think this is a "I'm sorry you felt offended" apology

There are plenty of healthy, vibrant people in their 80s and 90s, true. There are also people in their 80s and 90s that are far more educated and compassionate than these two clowns.

I guess Carlin didn't see The Fault in the Stars. The courageous young heroine in that story needed to take her tank wherever she went. I wonder how she would've felt seeing that pic?

I'm glad that I came over here.  I just posted on the main thread that I found the theme of the party this year uncomfortable.  You all are right, it's the props.  The oxygen tank was especially bad but even the walker angered me.  I'm glad to see it's not just me, I though that I was maybe off base.  My grandparents lived into their 90's and had various health problems.  Their outfits smacked of ageism. 

I think one of the things that bothers me about this is that they were doing it all for laughs. They took items that are medically necessary for many people and used them as props to be funny. Something that is essential for living for others, they treated as a joke. And the whole "I love old people" is just ridiculous and shows she views older people as one homogeneous group, not individual people. 

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I think one of the things that bothers me about this is that they were doing it all for laughs. They took items that are medically necessary for many people and used them as props to be funny. Something that is essential for living for others, they treated as a joke. And the whole "I love old people" is just ridiculous and shows she views older people as one homogeneous group, not individual people. 

I couldn't quite figure out at first why this theme instantly bothered me but eventually I came to the same conclusion. It's definitely the fact that they used these life saving items to underscore their classless joke. WE AREN'T LAUGHING BATESES 

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

There are plenty of healthy, vibrant people in their 80s and 90s, true. There are also people in their 80s and 90s that are far more educated and compassionate than these two clowns.

I guess Carlin didn't see The Fault in the Stars. The courageous young heroine in that story needed to take her tank wherever she went. I wonder how she would've felt seeing that pic?

Carlin would NEVER be allowed to see The Fault In Our Stars. Premarital kissing and sex? Wild teens romping around town? Big nope in the Bates cult.

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

i hope some of Evan's med center colleagues see his oxygen tank pictures and rip him a new one.

Unfortunately it wouldn't shock me if they suggested he use it for his costume.

I looked at the photos and as mentioned before the medical props took it a bit too far. Medical equipment like this is expensive for folks who actually need it. I don't think it should be wasted on stuff like this.

I've had numerous family members deal with chronic illnesses that are rough. My grandmother died at 65 from cancer and while she had TennCare (medicaid in TN). The things that come with hospice/ home health care.

My grandpa couldn't go out anymore because of being on oxygen because of COPD. My great- grandma was really healthy, she fell once and acquired an infection from the hospital and died.

Long-term care for the elderly sucks. They are abused or neglected in residential facilities. Funds to Medicare and Medicaid are being cut. Families that are directly involved with the care of their elderly relatives are few. Knowing that these families have to take care of their own household is understandable given that burnout is real and resources are limited if you don't have money.

On the flip side, there is this couple named John and Diane who are in their 80s and they are a joy to be around. John always greets me at church and Diane bakes goodies for after church fellowship (you could call it sweet fellowship, but I know what that means here). I love their perspective on faith and life. I have great conversations with Diane about life. I'm going to remember this couple forever.

That right there shows you the lack of empathy the Bateseseses have towards everyone else. Carlin and the Fundie Zoolander are made of each other, just a couple of idiots.

I'm assuming UP filmed some of that? I wonder if anyone from the Network reads here or they also found it distasteful. 

I think the oxygen tank was too much but to me a walker is something that is common even for healthy people who are old, they might just have trouble walking for long distances or in winter without one. I don't see it as much as a sign of a horrible suffering as an oxygen tank. I had an aunt who had COPD and used one for parts of the time and I know how hard the disease was on her so I would not joke about needing an oxygen tank. 

1 hour ago, elliha said:

I think the oxygen tank was too much but to me a walker is something that is common even for healthy people who are old, they might just have trouble walking for long distances or in winter without one. I don't see it as much as a sign of a horrible suffering as an oxygen tank. I had an aunt who had COPD and used one for parts of the time and I know how hard the disease was on her so I would not joke about needing an oxygen tank. 

It's not just old people. I know a young girl who contracted a terrible autoimmune disease at 11. She is now recovering and uses a walker to get around middle school. It's very sad to see a young person have to use a walker, when they were once perfectly healthy, and when should be running and jumping like their peers. However, to her parents, I think the walker is a great miracle, because they thought she'd never walk again.

In any case, a walker is not a funny joke or prop to them. 

I also wonder. . . what if a Bates grandparent attended the party using a walker/oxygen tank? Would Carlin and Evan have shown up with theirs? Would the joke still be "funny" when they are face-to-face with someone who actually needs the stuff?

"Hi, Grandma! Look, we both have walkers!"

"Hi, Grandpa! Wow, your tank is larger than mine, good for you!"

I wonder if it was UP's idea. 

I think that it was. They have never done a themed “I Love You Day” before!

2 hours ago, Hisey said:

It's not just old people. I know a young girl who contracted a terrible autoimmune disease at 11. She is now recovering and uses a walker to get around middle school. It's very sad to see a young person have to use a walker, when they were once perfectly healthy, and when should be running and jumping like their peers. However, to her parents, I think the walker is a great miracle, because they thought she'd never walk again.

In any case, a walker is not a funny joke or prop to them. 

I also wonder. . . what if a Bates grandparent attended the party using a walker/oxygen tank? Would Carlin and Evan have shown up with theirs? Would the joke still be "funny" when they are face-to-face with someone who actually needs the stuff?

"Hi, Grandma! Look, we both have walkers!"

"Hi, Grandpa! Wow, your tank is larger than mine, good for you!"

Of course young people have walkers too, I don't however found that relevant when explaining my position in this. I simply don't see walkers as a symbol of terrible things, I think it is just a practical tool for those who need it. 

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I think that it was. They have never done a themed “I Love You Day” before!

They have. One year was farm themed and another year they all dressed up super fancy. I think they started doing themes after UP came into the picture though, so I think you’re right about the network being behind it to a certain extent. 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived