IGNORED

Dillards 50: The big 5-0!

samurai_sarah

There are 6 boxed sets (6 books each) of the Warrior Cats. I bought them all for my grand daughter. She got 2 sets for Christmas 2016, 2 sets for Easter 2017 and 2 sets for her birthday 2017.

She loves them. She reads them. I call that a win. 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And some historical fiction but mostly cuz its a good book series, The All Souls Trilogy, 1st book is A Discovery of Witches, about an American witch of great breeding who in 1 of the books 'time walks' back to 16th century England.

I will totally back up on the All Souls Trilogy. It's still one of my go to book series. The author Deborah Harkness is also a history professor does speaks more for the books. This year is probably one of the best time to discover the series since so much new things are going to be released.

May they are releasing an encypedia style book. During late summer early fall tv show is going to be release. Along with a book that will be focusing on the character Marcus's story.

And once again I feel like an uneducated hick...

Currently reading:

Bringing Columbia Home by Mike Leinbach and Jonathan Ward - the story of bringing Columbia STS-107's crew and as much of Columbia as they could find home. VERY emotional. Mike Leinbach was the shuttle launch director at KSC. 

Last Man on the Moon - Eugene Cernan. He was the last man to walk on the moon on Apollo 17. So far, so good.

Forever Young - John Young. Biography. Captain Young flew Gemini 3, Gemini 10, Apollo 10, Apollo 16, STS-1, STS-9. Recently passed away. 

Also scored the latest Jack Ryan novel. 

Elizabeth Chadwick  Lady of the English about Henry II's mother Matilda and her stepmother Adeliza was really good. I'm currently on the Summer Queen, with the Autumn Throne and Winter Crown up next.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Currently reading:

Bringing Columbia Home by Mike Leinbach and Jonathan Ward - the story of bringing Columbia STS-107's crew and as much of Columbia as they could find home. VERY emotional. Mike Leinbach was the shuttle launch director at KSC. 

Last Man on the Moon - Eugene Cernan. He was the last man to walk on the moon on Apollo 17. So far, so good.

Forever Young - John Young. Biography. Captain Young flew Gemini 3, Gemini 10, Apollo 10, Apollo 16, STS-1, STS-9. Recently passed away. 

Those sound very exciting. 

11 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

It’s been deleted...what did it say?

Some lady who had been blocked by him was saying she would keep contacting him, blocking/ deleting wouldn’t stop her - so not the most mature either but Derick doesn’t seem to have the intelligence to understand that ignoring her would be the best method. He just seems to love attention!

A bit late to the party, but on the subject of historical based books, I can highly recommend The St Mary's Chronicles by Jodi Taylor. I've been trying to get everyone I know to read them. They're about time traveling Historians & they're fabulous. 

If you're an Anne Boleyn fan Laura Anderson has a great trilogy about a world in which she didn't miscarry her son & so was never executed & stated married to Henry. 

*stayed*

OK. Yall are just going to have to stop with the book recommendations. I love to read, but my time to read is just so limited that I'm never going to be able to read all the books I want before I die. lol

I'm currently reading Area 51, which was recommended on FJ by someone (can't remember who it was, but THANK YOU); a series of six books related to my work for a certification test; and re-reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I can't just read one at a time... haha

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Currently reading:

Excellent! Kindred spirit... I'm a space geek. Mike Collins' book "Carrying the Fire" is good; Collins was the CM pilot for the Apollo 11 mission, and might just be my favorite astronaut of that era. John Young is up there too, I need to read his.

If you haven't seen the documentary "In the Shadow of the Moon" (2007), it's really good; basically this era told in the astronauts' own words, interspersed with footage.

51 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

OK. Yall are just going to have to stop with the book recommendations. I love to read, but my time to read is just so limited that I'm never going to be able to read all the books I want before I die!

Totally agree! This is killing me! On the other hand if someone would like to write a letter to my boss...Dear WiseGirl's boss, please excuse WiseGirl from work, but continue to pay WiseGirl, so she can stay home and read all the books FJ is recommending. Thank you, FJ. :my_biggrin: 

On the other hand, I have quite a list of suggestions for next book club.

My copy of American Civil War by Omar El Akkad just arrived. Excited, but slightly anxious about, starting it due to the recent political climate.  It's about the Second American Civil War. (I do read a lot of dystopian novels).

@Antipatriarch and @Audrey2 I have and have read both. For great background looks at the history side, get Flight by Chris Kraft and Failure is Not an Option by Gene Kranz. Kraft is a hero of mine. He's from my hometown...sorta. He's from Phoebus which was eaten up by Hampton VA and I'm from Newport News. 

6 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

If you haven't seen the documentary "In the Shadow of the Moon" (2007), it's really good; basically this era told in the astronauts' own words, interspersed with footage.

I've seen it...more than once. Another good documentary is "When We Left Earth" which was a multi-part documentary that the Discovery Channel did. The fictionalized "From the Earth To The Moon" is also pretty good. Has some holes in it, but Tom Hanks did a pretty good job with it. YouTube has a great selection of documentaries on the space program. 

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

This sounds really good, I just searched it on goodreads and it might by my next read! Thank You! 

1 minute ago, LacyMay said:

This sounds really good, I just searched it on goodreads and it might by my next read! Thank You! 

it is a great book. Warning...it's a VERY difficult read, especially when they write about finding the crew. The first time I read it, I could only read a little bit at a time. Mike and Jonathan did a masterful job of telling the story.

On 2/3/2018 at 12:02 PM, onekidanddone said:

I suggest two by Marge Piercy:

Sex Wars: About the Comstock Laws which outlawed condoms.

City of Darkness, City of Light: The French resistance in WWII

Her “Gone to Soldiers” is good too.

14 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Currently reading:

Dammit!  Bringing Columbia Home is not available on (in) the Canadian iTunes Store. I hate that!  I will definitely buy it, though. Thanks, @feministxtian for that recommendation. Will check the others out too. 

5 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Dammit!  Bringing Columbia Home is not available on (in) the Canadian iTunes Store. I hate that!  I will definitely buy it, though. Thanks, @feministxtian for that recommendation. Will check the others out too. 

the audio book hasn't been released as far as I know. You can order it from Amazon or Barnes & Noble 

https://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Columbia-Home-Untold-Shuttle/dp/1628728515/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517777695&sr=8-1&keywords=bringing+columbia+home

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bringing-columbia-home-michael-leinbach/1126987181?ean=9781628728514#/

Another good one for the history of the Shuttle Program is called Into The Black

https://www.amazon.com/Into-Black-Extraordinary-Columbia-Astronauts/dp/1501123629/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517777819&sr=8-1&keywords=into+the+black

6 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Not sure if this helps but the Ebook is available on Kobo and I'm 99% sure the kindle version is available through amazon.ca if you read on an ipad you could download either of those apps? I usually use Kobo but I might use kindle just for this one book since it looks to be significantly cheaper on kindle than kobo.  

Canadian reader here... I know it can be hard to find certain books. 

6 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

I usually use Kobo but I might use kindle just for this one book since it looks to be significantly cheaper on kindle than kobo.  

I also think it's available on Nook. You can download the app. I have a hard copy cuz mine is autographed by Mike & Jonathan :) I got in on the pre-order...

Thanks, guys. I think it’s available at a bookstore near me so I will just go and pick it up there.  It’ll be nice to hold an actual book for a change. Although I LOVE having my book library literally at my fingertips on my iPad.  I like arranging them and stuff, too. :my_shy:

56 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Her “Gone to Soldiers” is good too.

I realized I am mistaken and mixed Gone to Soldiers up with City of Darkness City of Light.  It was Gone to Soldiers which was about the War. 

I’m currently listening to the audiobook of Sebastian Barry’s Days Without End, which is set during the American Civil War. I haven’t finished it, but on what I’ve heard so far (about half) I would recommend it.

Tan Twang Eng’s The Gift of Rain is another great one. Set in Penang, Malaysia before and around the time of the Japanese invasion. I found it extremely moving and thought-provoking. 

1 hour ago, Fascinated said:

Thanks, guys. I think it’s available at a bookstore near me so I will just go and pick it up there.  It’ll be nice to hold an actual book for a change. Although I LOVE having my book library literally at my fingertips on my iPad.  I like arranging them and stuff, too. :my_shy:

I saw it on the shelves at my local B&N. I took a picture of it and sent it to Mike Leinbach (I'm part of a bunch of space groups on FB)

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived