IGNORED

Movies based on real events and people

CTRLZero

We've been watching a lot of movies and series on Netflix since it's even rainier than usual in the Pacific Northwest.   I tend to gravitate towards movies based on real events, so here are a few I can recommend.

I recently watched I, Tonya, which was interesting to me because she was/is a local story (as well as international in scope).  My daughter watched the movie with me (sold out theater) and reminded me that my late father used to take her to Portland to watch Tonya skate.  The audience did not know how to take some of the scenes (i.e., who wants to laugh at child abuse), but the characters (especially Tonya's mom) are so laughable (in a sad way - see what I mean?).

On Netflix, I watched Florence Foster Jenkins (Meryl Streep) and the Polka King (Jack Black).  I can recommend both as movies about fascinating characters.  All of these movies mentioned had me doing additional research into their lives.

Oh, and last night we watched Hidden Figures, which was really eye-opening into how segregation operated and how grueling it can be for people to overcome pervasive prejudice. 

Archived