IGNORED

Lori Alexander 38: Still Cooking "Healthy" Meals?

3 hours ago, EowynW said:

I've never understood that mindset. Just like my former fundie church refusing to support the local crisis pregnancy center because they weren't "Christian enough."

I am grateful for my fundie mother in this area. While our family had its fair share of stupid and damaging fundie issues and beliefs, my mom was very generous and giving. She took us volunteering often. We worked at the pregnancy centers, food banks, elderly and shut ins. We once spent thanksgiving helping serve thanksgiving lunch in conjunction with the large SBC church in town, feeding the homeless and those in need. I do really appreciate my mom modeling that attitude. And it's something I want to never let go of. Especially after watching people like my inlaws, who refuse to help and cling to their money, griping about the poor and people down on their luck. 

She also said that there is no point in helping the poor or worrying about poverty because the Bible doesn’t say that we should. We aren’t here to fix the world. 

Jesus was all about helping people. 

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, refugee said:

@feministxtianThat is the only scenario where I can envision complementarianism working. However, comp is ultimately an unworkable system.

When one of my kids explained BDSM to me, I was completely shocked—because of the obvious practice of respect and consent and not-fear I was hearing. Better relationships than many “christian” marriages I know.

If you look at the plain dictionary definition of complementary, you'd get a better idea of how "complementarianism" works for the non-patriarchal looneytunes. 

Definition of complementary

1: serving to fill out or complete

… their economies are more complementary than competitive …

—William Petersen

2: mutually supplying each other's lack

… the complementary relationship that binds the two.

—Colin S. Gray

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complementary

There's other definitions but these 2 are applicable. In the context of what our pastor preached, both definitions apply. One partner's strengths complement the other's weakness. In my case, I SUCK at organization at home (work is different). My husband can, within a week of us moving, have everything unpacked, put together, pictures on the walls and it looks like we've lived there for years. I just sit on the floor and cry. On the other hand, I'm better at budgeting so I pay all the bills. I can remember that shit for some reason. It doesn't "stick" for him. I keep track of things like when the car registrations are due, etc. So, between the two of us, we have one fairly well functioning unit. There are times when he makes the final decision (like, I want to move out of this hellhole neighborhood). I'm all in favor of paying more rent...BUT...he is reluctant to get into something more expensive for quite a few reasons...and yes, they're all valid. So, I have made my point, he doesn't want to move to where I'd LOVE to move to...so it's time for me to just STFU about it. I know I'm not going to get my way. At some point we'll reach a compromise that we both can live with. There's no point fighting over it. 

We're a team...a damn good team. We've been through hell and back and are still here. It works for us. 

It's just like Jesus said: Husbands, scare the shit of out of your wives...

Oh wait.

Another thing about that post that pisses me off is her conflation of feminism with mental illness. Not everyone you disagree with has a mental illness. And some people you do agree with have a mental illness. Because it's an illness. Just like some people you agree with have a broken leg, and some people you disagree with have a broken leg. Feminist beliefs aren't listed in the DSM-5, last I checked.

Also, the richness of this:

They have been blinded by the deceitfulness of sin and their hearts are hardened to the truth so, no, they don’t know where the roots of what they believe comes from, sadly.

Beause your exegesis is always so rock-solid there, Lori. 

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

So Trey thinks women should obey their masters/owners and show them the "highest form of respect, mingled with fear."

Guess Trey has forgotten, if he ever knew, about that verse in the New Testament...let's see, where is it exactly?...oh, that's right!  I John 4:18:  'There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.'  I know my husband would be seriously worried if he thought I was afraid of him!  

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Beause your exegesis is always so rock-solid there, Lori. 

That's because it's not exegesis at all, but eisogesis for Lori - she is reading a perspective into it, if by no other factoid than she limits herself to a KJV translation - which is already an interpretation of the text.  

The person who hates God and His way is Lori.  It's as plain as all the "exception!" cries to Scripture quoted to her.  Or in her deleting the word of God that disagrees with her words from her own page.

2 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

She also said that there is no point in helping the poor or worrying about poverty because the Bible doesn’t say that we should. We aren’t here to fix the world. 

Jesus was all about helping people. 

I seem to recall quite about about helping people so I guess she forgot the part about, oh I don't know - the many, many verses about helping each other, taking care of each other, and then there is always the verses in Matthew. I hope it's ok to post this like this.  I'm just trying to illustrate how hypocritical she is.

Matthew 25:35-40 New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

New International Version (NIV)

Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

From the comments on the blog about grandmothers staying home: 

February 12, 2018 at 12:47 pm

This makes me so sad. I wish more women would read this!! I have 8 children and while my mother and MIL *will* help if I really asked, it is not something I would ask for often, as they both work and run successful businesses. My MIL will help me if I need it, but she is usually quite busy with her church affairs, her business and her other grandchildren (their mom works full time). It takes months to get her to agree on a sewing date, etc. for my daughters.

You had 8 children. That was your choice. The in laws don’t live close enough to help but my parents do. And I do ask for help when needed, but I don’t expect it (and sometimes they have other plans). DH and I chose to have children. My parents have worked hard working and raising us, and are now retired. I absolutely want them to enjoy social outings and trips and church functions, etc. They worked hard and deserve it. 

Another commebt: 

February 12, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Oh, Lori – PREACH IT!! This is so needed! Even in the Christian homeschool community, the practice of women heading back to the workforce as soon as their children graduate is SO prevalent. This is, frankly, a sign that we Christians still do not respect the role of homemaker, because women feel intense pressure to “do something” with their time now that they have “nothing to do” – i.e. just a home and husband to care for. I have had several women in my life whose help I greatly desired (in terms of mentorship), and each of them headed back to the workforce and made it clear that they were unavailable because they were now too busy. It is so incredibly bad, lonely, and isolating for young mothers to be left to flounder on their own. If one wants to know why the younger women of today are (in general) such poor mothers, a great deal of it can be blamed on older women who have not made themselves available to teach, help, and mentor as Titus 2 commands!! Thank you so much for bringing this up!!

(And I love that poem – YES. There is NOTHING attractive to me about an older woman who is fit, hip, and stylish, and living like a 20-year-old. I adore sweet older women who are actually owning their later years and being the sweet and wonderful grandmothers that God has designed us to be in our older years.)

Perhaps it was an agreement between husband and wife that the wife could enter the workforce after the children graduated. Maybe they don’t feel pressured at all. Maybe they have a sense of purpose that they now get to fulfill. Maybe they are over days that consist of scrubbing clothes, dishes, floors, and toilets. Maybe they don’t understand what kind of mentoring you need given the sheer basic level of Titus. I don’t see a plethora of bad mothers. And I aspire to be a fit grandmother- I want to be healthy and able to enjoy life. And I see a hip person as someone aware of and knowledgeable about current events, research, trends, and breakthroughs. 

Regarding wives and “fear”:  Way back in the ‘70s, a group of us were establishing a domestic violence shelter. Somebody was wondering what the Catholic Church’s reaction to it would be (the shelter was quite a controversial thing in those days!). A local Franciscan sister told her, “No man who abuses his wife in any way is fulfilling his vows—so that relationship isn’t a true marriage.”

That second commenter is a selfish bitch. She expects ‘older’ women to stay home so that she won’t be all lonely and floundering?  And she literally blames older women for ‘not making themselves availble’ to her.   And how horrific that an older woman should be fit and stylish. We are supposed to ‘own our later years and be sweet and wonderful grandmothers’. Honestly. Fuck her.  She needs to grow up and understand she is not the special little snowflake she thinks she is. Lori is attracting the worst of humankind. I can’t take this anymore. This stuff is so damaging.  I can’t believe there are so many women who believe this shit. Oh my god. 

@Fascinated, yes—my first reaction was, “Oh, grow the fuck up and grow a pair.” It isn’t these older ladies’ job to be your servant. I do look forward to helping out my daughter and grandson more once I retire, but that’s not everyone’s choice.

1 minute ago, Hane said:

@Fascinated, yes—my first reaction was, “Oh, grow the fuck up and grow a pair.” It isn’t these older ladies’ job to be your servant. I do look forward to helping out my daughter and grandson more once I retire, but that’s not everyone’s choice.

Absolutely!  It brings me great joy to be with our grandchildren and to help out any way we are needed. I don’t believe I’ve said ‘no’ once in the four years we have had grandchildren. But our kids do not expect it. They want us to enjoy our lives.  They love that we spend time traveling and, you know, living. God. I’m so angry. I seriously despair for this world. There are way too many people, no, WOMEN, FFS, who buy into this. Lori and her ilk get my blood boiling. I truly can’t believe people think this way. It gets and worse on this thread  

So let me see if I understand this correctly.  

Husband: Contributing to raising his own children = Babysitting/"Helping"/Not his role

Complete stranger who just happens to be an older woman = Person who should be helping you adult and raise the EIGHT 8 ( <--- yes, 8) children YOU chose to have.

Grandmother= Person who should not pursue a life/career/vacation/fitness/or style, because she needs to be available to drop everything and help you at any moment.  Plus, you like your Grandma Servants to look a certain way, and who wants a fit, stylish grandma, amiright?!

No.  Just no.  Nope, nope, nope.  

I have been a sahw/sahm pretty much my entire adult life.  I was still a teenager when I married my high-school sweetheart many years ago.  I did not expect anyone to hold my hand, and coach me in the finer arts of starting the dishwasher and running a vacuum cleaner.  :roll:  Lordy.

I do not plan to go back to work after my children go to college in a few years.  I also don't plan to help random women care for their babies or clean their houses.  I am going stay home and spoil my German Shepherds/meet my husband for lunch/care for my own home/grow a garden and so on.  

Once my own grandchildren come along, I'll be more than happy to help as much as they'd like.  

But this entitled attitude that Lori's sheeple seem to have?  No thank you.  Not happening.

This came from the second post about home schooling. I don’t understand her advocating for something that she didn’t do. I guess she could say she was wrong and sinned. 

F66380E2-6D5A-4B92-8C84-064A6B4EBCDD.png

Woah, look at how strongly she defends Trey. As if her thank you from earlier wasn't strong enough, she takes it a step further to say all of what Trey states are from the word of God? 

Really, is this what God said? "She is to submit to, serve and obey her husband in everything, as long as he does not ask her to sin. She is to do this even if her husband is mean, unreasonable and cruel and it causes her unjust suffering.

loridefendstrey.PNG

Then there is this. I thought she trashed Nancy Campbell before?

lorinancycampbell.PNG

In other news, all the submissive wives are giggling over this.  Since Lori suggested, maybe that's what Ken should get HER for Valentines.  

@AlwaysDiscerning - wow.  I just can not get over how nasty she is to her readers.  

If that is suppose to imply that he is turning her on by doing the dishes, I don't get it. Men aren't suppose to help with housework!

I've done so well, avoiding Lori's blog for weeks, maybe longer. But I couldn't resist... I snuck a look and OMG it was the stupidest thing I've done in a while. What the hell is Trey on, that he thinks God expects women to obey cruel men? What Bible is he reading? Someone needs to smack that miserable mysognistic pathetic excuse for a man upside the head and tell him to get over himself. And I'm really not sure why Lori defends him. From the little I've read, Ken never treated her cruelly so she would have no idea.

7 minutes ago, Koala said:

No....I think it's supposed to mean he got the water ready for her to do the dishes.  But maybe I am misreading it?  Who knows...

Oh yeah that makes a lot more sense! How awful then.

What the actual fuck is bubble water?  Who says that?  So that’s not a bath, that’s a sink?  Fuck my life. I can’t take it. 

ETA: if this is tongue-in-cheek then, ok. God, I’m going to bed. 

No snark...I think Lori is brain damaged, on top of her totally selfish and hateful personality. She hates women. And that Trey creature? Just an abusive, weak little jerk hiding behind  a book. 

Is that the same Jilly that was kicked out of the chat room and made a brief appearance on the undeleted page? 

I worry for Trey’s wife. And the wives of any men he may try to exert influence over. 

@Fascinated I remember when my oldest was a baby, my mom looked at her and said “I love your mommy but there is just something extra special about you”. My parents are a tremendous help- but I definitely don’t expect it. There have been times that they couldn’t help and I respect that. I don’t get the belief that others should be at beck and call. That comment made my eye twitch. 

DH and I made the conscious decision to have babies (we had to do fertility treatments for each, so especially intentional). Of course, I’m also the sort that would deny needing help even when obvious because I don’t want to impose on anyone. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

No snark...I think Lori is brain damaged, on top of her totally selfish and hateful personality. She hates women. And that Trey creature? Just an abusive, weak little jerk hiding behind  a book. 

I’ve honestly wondered if some of those herbs, supplements, and other concoctions of hers have created some sort of toxicity or mild poisoning. I’ve been reading some of her old stuff- sometimes I could detect a hateful undertone but now it’s blatant. 

1 hour ago, Koala said:

So let me see if I understand this correctly.  

Husband: Contributing to raising his own children = Babysitting/"Helping"/Not his role

Complete stranger who just happens to be an older woman = Person who should be helping you adult and raise the EIGHT 8 ( <--- yes, 8) children YOU chose to have.

Grandmother= Person who should not pursue a life/career/vacation/fitness/or style, because she needs to be available to drop everything and help you at any moment.  Plus, you like your Grandma Servants to look a certain way, and who wants a fit, stylish grandma, amiright?!

No.  Just no.  Nope, nope, nope.  

I have been a sahw/sahm pretty much my entire adult life.  I was still a teenager when I married my high-school sweetheart many years ago.  I did not expect anyone to hold my hand, and coach me in the finer arts of starting the dishwasher and running a vacuum cleaner.  :roll:  Lordy.

I do not plan to go back to work after my children go to college in a few years.  I also don't plan to help random women care for their babies or clean their houses.  I am going stay home and spoil my German Shepherds/meet my husband for lunch/care for my own home/grow a garden and so on.  

Once my own grandchildren come along, I'll be more than happy to help as much as they'd like.  

But this entitled attitude that Lori's sheeple seem to have?  No thank you.  Not happening.

Women just don't get a break, in Lori's world. Even after they've finished birthing and raising as many children God has given them. You'd think they'd get a rest then (aside from putting out whenever hubby demands). But no, now god wants them to hunt down younger women and help them clean their toilets and diaper their babies. 

Men, on the other hand, get to work 9 to 5 and call it a day. Then they get to retire and do nothing at all! Just as long as there's money for food and rent, their work is done. And they get a sex slave/personal servant/slave to obey their every command.

I know what sex I want to be in my next life!

Sounds like Lori watched the grandkids again while Erin and Ryan jaunted off to Tucson for a week to go to the gem show that's held there every February. Nice going helping out a working woman, Lori! I guess your disapproval of working women only extends to women OUTSIDE your family. Women inside your family do as they please.

This is interesting. It's from some ortho convention

For the past 30 years Ken Alexander has been one of the top orthodontic management consultants and has lectured to thousands of orthodontic practices in North America and Europe. He is CEO of Millenium Management Services where he works with hundreds of clients on a consulting basis, and is also CEO of one of the largest orthodontic practices in the US. 

I wondered how he got all his money from "consulting." He probably earns most of his money from the orthodontic practics. I like the way he calls himself a CEO as though there are hundreds of people reporting to him.

1 hour ago, Koala said:

In other news, all the submissive wives are giggling over this.  Since Lori suggested, maybe that's what Ken should get HER for Valentines.  

So the joke is the men doing "women's work" by helping do the dishes? Or is it a joke that guys can't manage to draw a bath for their wife? Or is it supposed to be a cute reminder to the lady to do the dishes? Obviously, I'm not the target audience for this. :roll:

1 hour ago, Fascinated said:

What the actual fuck is bubble water?

What a guy would call a bubble bath, because of course no "real men" would know such specialized lady terms as bubble bath! (I started writing that sarcastically, but maybe that's really supposed to be it? or maybe it's some regional term?)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived