IGNORED

Anna's little sister gets engaged

Markie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I believe that is an indication that her wall is not completely open. I don't doubt that she is engaged, though; she updated her relationship status on her google profile.

You guys make a cute--if slightly incoherent and abrasive--couple

quoted and somewhat edited for truth.

lilmiss, I'm lol'ing. Eh, even if they have come in here with guns blazing I'm still rooting for them. She's doing what so many SAHD's can't or won't.

Nick is 28!

Suze, I am impressed by your determination to do what you want with your life, despite all the pressure from your family not to. It is admirable that you stick up for yourself. To me, it doesn't matter what you do with your life, whether I agree or disagree, or think you and your fiancee are a cute couple or not. The fact that you are going against the grain of a lifestyle that crushes so many hopes and dreams, especially when it seems to have caused a rift between you and much of your family, is enough to have me rooting for you and that you and your fiancee have a long, happy, marriage, that allows you both to get what you want out of life.

Suze, I am impressed by your determination to do what you want with your life, despite all the pressure from your family not to. It is admirable that you stick up for yourself. To me, it doesn't matter what you do with your life, whether I agree or disagree, or think you and your fiancee are a cute couple or not. The fact that you are going against the grain of a lifestyle that crushes so many hopes and dreams, especially when it seems to have caused a rift between you and much of your family, is enough to have me rooting for you and that you and your fiancee have a long, happy, marriage, that allows you both to get what you want out of life.

Ditto! Go Suze!

Thanks. It sucks to think I might be spending the "happiest" day of my life without my mom and dad. Idk if Im going to have to walk down that isle alone. Would give anything for a normal family.

Thanks. It sucks to think I might be spending the "happiest" day of my life without my mom and dad. Idk if Im going to have to walk down that isle alone. Would give anything for a normal family.

That really sucks that you have to go through that. :( I hope they come around and can accept you and your choices. I mean, I don't know you, but you don't sound like a bad person at all, so I'm sure it must hurt to have your parents give you a hard time for doing stuff that most people -- even most Christians -- don't consider sinful or bad. They should be proud to have a daughter like you, and I hope that they will be able to see that sooner rather than later.

Congratulations, Suze! I really admire your strength and independent spirit. I am so sorry your family is treating you this way. I hope you and Nick have a wonderful life together, and that your family starts treating you with respect. Best wishes!

I can't tell what brand her jeans are, so I can't tell you if they are indeed "designer," but there are lots of ways to afford "designer" clothes on a - trunk shows, eBay, outlet stores, Marshalls/TJMaxx, gifts, etc.

I often don't understand when people complain about the assumed cost of things people wear or use. Appearances can be deceiving. You really don't know what she spent, how much she makes, what her expenses are, etc.

I absolutely agree with this. I often buy designer clothes at thrift shops (my best find was a new-with-tags cashmire Calvin Klein top for $5), and gorgeous designer vintage pieces at various markets, garage sales and boot sales. Even if she did buy designer jeans brand new, she might do what I do, which is buy almost every item of clothing I can second hand and use the money I saved to buy a really expensive pair of jeans.

Good for Suze! She deserves happiness and they seem very in love. I'm so glad they got the chance to date and get to know each other before getting engaged.

Suze, I'm not really into weddings. However, I hope you have a perfect day and send you best wishes for the rest of your life. Just fly and let freedom ring!

You've already got big a leg up on happiness because you got to follow your instincts and choose the man and you got to know him before the wedding not after.

Also, I know it's not the same thing as having parents there but know that I will be sending motherly thoughts to you and your new husband. I don't know you but I am proud of you.

I really feel sorry for your sister Anna and have said some not so nice things about your brother in law and his train wreak of a family on this board. (Sorry when it comes to the Duggars I am pretty snarky.)

I absolutely agree with this. I often buy designer clothes at thrift shops (my best find was a new-with-tags cashmire Calvin Klein top for $5), and gorgeous designer vintage pieces at various markets, garage sales and boot sales. Even if she did buy designer jeans brand new, she might do what I do, which is buy almost every item of clothing I can second hand and use the money I saved to buy a really expensive pair of jeans.

Good for Suze! She deserves happiness and they seem very in love. I'm so glad they got the chance to date and get to know each other before getting engaged.

I agree Suze could be buying the clothes from thrift shops, outlet stores or TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross stores. If she is still staying with Rebekah, she could have extra money for clothes.

Would give anything for a normal family.

Oh gosh, who wouldn't? I sure would. Mine's nutz. Squirrels probably bury them in the winter. ;) They did manage to get themselves to my wedding and mostly behave, though. I think my mom probably threatened not to come, but she came.

Thanks. It sucks to think I might be spending the "happiest" day of my life without my mom and dad. Idk if Im going to have to walk down that isle alone.

That is sad, but maybe think of it this way: Nobody "owns" you and can give you away, because you belong to you and you only. If you really just don't want to walk down the aisle alone, why don't you walk down with Nick? My dad wanted to do it, but to be honest I was freaking out and all tears until I got to the front where my husband was, and then I felt better (so I kinda wish I'd walked down the aisle with him).

It makes me angry that dogma would get in the way of a mother and father and their child. :evil: You are right--your parents SHOULD be there. It's a big deal. If they don't come, someday they'll regret it.

Anyway, like everyone else said, congratulations! I am so impressed with your independence! That's amazing, coming from a family where to be independent, especially as a woman, was discouraged. Amazing. You must be a very strong person.

ETA: Try not to expect too much from your wedding day. It's the marriage that's important, not the wedding. Weddings are very stressful and you probably won't remember a lot of it.

ETAA: I love Ross. LOVE. IT. God I wish we had some in Canada. I'm done now.

No such thing, toots.

I agree that there is no such thing (god knows my family isn't normal), but I think what Suze means is that she wants parents who trust her and also who love her and support her no matter what. And while not everybody has that and it may not even be the norm (I don't know--I do know that my parents are like that), but it is possible and is what every child should have.

Idk if Im going to have to walk down that isle alone.

I hope your parents do come around and are there for you at your wedding, Suze. If not, they are the ones who will miss out. :cry: Perhaps one of your brothers or brothers-in law or uncles could walk you down the aisle if you are uncomfortable going alone. Although I don't know you, I wish you and Nick all the best in your life together. You make a lovely couple. :clap: :dance: :D

Is "SuzeK" the real Susanna?

If so-

believe me, I feel you. I have no fundy parents, but very strong-willed, controlling, abusive parents that do not approve or suppport anything that slightly varies from their beliefs.

I'll probably have to get married without them, too. I'm going to therapy now because of them, I can only suggest you think about this, too. It helps TONS.THEY are the ones who are missing out, not you!!

You seem like a strong, independent woman who, at a very young age, has already succeeded in living your own life. You're a great role model. You're doing what you've been told all your life is wrong to do, and that shows you have a lot of character and willpower. Hope you can live a very happy life. Good for you you have a decent education and (hopefully) a good job.

Go girl. We're rooting for you.

- edited because it's way too early for correct grammar.

Oh, also:

Susanna, YOU are the one who shows great character by even trying to have a relationship with your parents. It'd be totally understandable if you did not want to talk to THEM anymore. They should be grateful you still want them in your life.

Not sure if you want to do this, not sure on what terms you guys are, but you might try to mention to them you don't want them there. It might make them want to come really bad.

If not... well, I guess all hope is lost.

No such thing, toots.

Sometimes not having your family in your life can be a good thing. My mother had mental issues. Because she was my mom, I let her be involved in my life far longer than I should have.

I know you love your parents but concentrate on the people who do love and accept you. You've got people you have never met rooting for your happines. How many of us are that lucky? :)

SuzeK,

My family is far from normal, too. I made my own family, filled with loving people who accept me for who I am,, and what I believe/don't believe. Blood may be thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood. Good luck to you, dear: May you define and live your own version of happiness, not someone else's.

Archived