IGNORED

Joy and Austin: 248 Days Since the Wedding and Still Counting

Coconut Flan

On 2/20/2018 at 9:52 AM, NotQuiteMotY said:

I think there's a chance, too, that they announced when they did because of Joe's wedding. Which would you rather do, announce how you'd rather or have everyone speculating whether you're "pregnant or just fat"?

LOL...We left a Christmas party one year and in the car my husband remarked on how my co-worker had really gotten pudgy...he felt bad when shortly thereafter she announced her third pregnancy...

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Snowless said:

It’s unusual for a girl to be named after her father, but not unheard of.

David and Priscilla Waller named their daughter Davia.  Their boys have names starting with "P". 

7 hours ago, Snowless said:

You know, Austin could be considered a unisex name now?  There was a girl named Austin Wolfe who competed in one of the later seasons of American Idol (she did not reach the finals).)

please don't reference the turd or his wife around me when quoting me :) and I think  you are correct with regards to the name hence the reason I am endlessly promoting it so the real Austin will listen to me. 

and I like your real name. I am thinking Dynasty 

Maybe it's a Southern thing, but I know a TON of girl-children who were named after their fathers. I'm just lucky I'm not Charlene Roberta (after my grandfathers). 

Some of the females I know, named after their fathers:  Jonnie, Paula, Jackie, Roberta, Martie, Markie, Andi, Danielle, Jo, Christina, Andrea, Harriet, Willa, Edwina... I could go on.

I had an aunt and uncle (twins) named Paul Robert and Pauline Roberta. I received my middle name from them and my first from another aunt. 

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Maybe it's a Southern thing, but I know a TON of girl-children who were named after their fathers. I'm just lucky I'm not Charlene Roberta (after my grandfathers). 

Some of the females I know, named after their fathers:  Jonnie, Paula, Jackie, Roberta, Martie, Markie, Andi, Danielle, Jo, Christina, Andrea, Harriet, Willa, Edwina... I could go on.

I know an "Arthurine"

Also, a Beau-- named after her father Beauregard

10 hours ago, Dandruff said:

David and Priscilla Waller named their daughter Davia.  Their boys have names starting with "P". 

An absolutely fabulous thing to do!  

13 hours ago, Snowless said:

(My first name is Crystal, by the way...terribly ‘80s, but I can’t see myself with any other first name.)

Hmmm, Crystal Snowless. It fits you.

My dad's name was Walter. Glad they didn't try to name me after him. I was named after my mother, 3rd generation.

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

My dad's name was Walter. Glad they didn't try to name me after him. I was named after my mother, 3rd generation.

Always nice to meet another person named after their mum. It certainly isn't as common as boys named after Dads. Though hopefully your mum respected your privacy and didn't 'accidentally' open your post half the time because 'I thought it was for me'.

Being Jewish we typically don’t name kids after a living person.  I had a few classmates who were named after their father’s (ie they were junior or the 3rd) usually they went by a nickname. 

26 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Being Jewish we typically don’t name kids after a living person.  I had a few classmates who were named after their father’s (ie they were junior or the 3rd) usually they went by a nickname. 

My oldest brother has a Jr, but my brother goes by the nick name and his son has always gone by the formal name. Think Mike and Michael, although in my brother's case, the nick name actually begins with another letter altogether.  My nephew is 20 and I don't think there's ever been an issue with people confusing names.

My dad was named Peter after his father and grandfather. He refused to name my brothers after himself, because he hated the confusion it caused growing up. My dad's younger brother named his son Peter after their dad, although I kind of think he was pressured to continue the name since the rest of his siblings stopped having kids decades before him. 

If I ever have a son, I want to name him Peter. Not for my dad, though, for spiderman. 

21 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

My dad was named Peter after his father and grandfather. He refused to name my brothers after himself, because he hated the confusion it caused growing up. My dad's younger brother named his son Peter after their dad, although I kind of think he was pressured to continue the name since the rest of his siblings stopped having kids decades before him. 

If I ever have a son, I want to name him Peter. Not for my dad, though, for spiderman. 

I have a friend who's husband was a IV and wanted their son to be the V she HATED his name, and she really hated the pressure she felt it was putting on their unborn child, as baby daddy was/is a high ranking district attorney in a large midwestern city, grandfather was a state supreme court judge great grandfather was a judge, great great grandfather had been governor of the state they resided in. So she didn't give him the name, and baby daddy pouted so bad he didn't talk to her for 2 weeks until she relented and changed his name. They divorced a few years later because he's an epic asshole, and the kid turned 18 and changed his name back to what his mom originally named him and refuses to speak to his father. My sister's husband is a III and they both refused his name is ridiculous, his father (babies grandfather) is still pouting and the boy is 7 years old. 

Mum's an immigration officer and plays the 'guess the nationality' game if it's a slow shift. She rarely has to guess if the person introduces them as a III or IV, they're almost always North American :pb_lol: My boyfriend has a middle name that's a family surname (god knows from where, my bf certainly doesn't). It's dire and I've told him it's not happening. He's already pouted about it and we're nowhere near having kids! (Seriously though, it's bad. If I'm already giving up my uber cool, original, Irish surname for his boring-ass English one when we get married, there's no way I'm inflicting that on my kids) though I've accepted the giving up the surname part, guess I must really love him

I'm loving all this discussion about people's name stories! I'm obsessed with names haha, regardless of the story behind them. I like my own alright, though I think it's hilarious that I am, apparently, named after the most beautiful girl at my dad's high school that everyone had a crush on xD. 

The worst name story I've ever heard was a teenager named Glitter, apparently after her dad's and uncle's favorite stripper....:my_cry:

My name is very unique and I like it alot. I hated it when I was a kid because I could never get any of those personalized pencils. A funny story about my name: a Korean doctor at my job asked me how I pronounced my name and when I told him, he started laughing out loud and said that my name mean giraffe in Korean. He spent the rest of the day saying, "Hello, Giraffe!" And then giggling. 

I went to school with a female Austin!    Wonderful human being.  Truly one of those people that lit up the room when she entered.  Never heard anyone say anything bad about her, and people LOVED to spread dirt and malicious rumors at my high school.

Also:

2018-02-22_17-29-28.jpg.1a61af187eb6adcd4bb8a0c75bcdcddc.jpg

3 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

I was named after my mother, 3rd generation.

in my family, for the last 4 generations, the first born daughter of the first born daughter has the same name, either first or middle.  I didnt plan on it, but my oldest daughter makes it 5 generations :)

I have my mother's middle name. I was roundly criticized for not giving the name to GryffindorDisappointment. 

@tabitha2 - the outlaw with your name is one of my distant cousins. :)

My cousin named his son after himself. They have different middle names but instead of going by them, they are referred to as "Big -insert name here-" and "Little -insert name here-". Not so cute now that said son is almost 30 and everyone has called him that for so long that it is still stuck to him. Lol. 

Edit; I forgot the best story of all. Let's just say my dad didn't have the greatest father. He ran off when my dad was very small. Turns out he had 4 more kids after my dad and uncle. He named one of the other kids the same first name as my dad and himself. I'm sure you could imagine the awkwardness when everyone met later in life....

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have my mother's middle name. I was roundly criticized for not giving the name to GryffindorDisappointment. 

My mom and MIL have the same first name, which is also my and SIL’s middle name. My mom was named after her great aunt (they share a birthday), and MIL is named after her mom. 

MIL was really pushing that as DD’s middle name. My mom encouraged us to give baby her own name. We considered the family name, but ultimately decided against it. I like her name so much more. Hopefully we can come up with as good of a name for DD2. 

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm named after my grandmother, who died the year I was born. 

Is it just me who has three names before the surname?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived