IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

All fundies might as wear their wedding rings through the nose like livestock!  (Giggle )

Really it makes my heart hurt to see these kids get married so young, none of them know how to be in their own company.

even Bambi's mother made him learn to be alone, Bless Rufus!

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JillyO said:

That's not true. I have never met anyone in Germany who didn't wear their wedding band on their right hand (although I'm sure there are some people who do it for personal reasons). Traditionally, the woman would wear the engagement ring on her left hand. When the couple gets married, the engagement ring becomes the wedding band and is moved to the right hand. Now that separate engagement rings have become more common, most women wear their engagement ring on their left hand and their wedding band on their right hand. I just checked a couple of sources (in German) and they all confirm this.

My husband (Belgian) and I (Israeli and German) had decided that we would wear our wedding rings on the left hand.

Fast forward to our wedding ceremony.

My husband put the ring on my left ring finger. I, for a reason I cannot fully comprehend but it may have been nerves, put the ring on his right ring finger.

He decided that this is where I put the ring, so this is where it needs to stay :my_biggrin:

We therefore wear our rings on different hands (I on my left, he on his right).

It is definitely tradition to wear your wedding band on the right hand in Germany. In the last years this tradition it has been more lax though. People wear their ring/rings in what side they prefer. Probably because there are so many more ring types now. Do you have wedding band and engagement ring separate, would they fit together or should better be worn on separate fingers? Is the engagement ring becoming the wedding band? I have heard of men having an engagement ring too sometimes.

When we were on the hunt for our wedding bands 9 years ago I was shocked how hard it was to find simple platinum rings. No stones, no mixed netalls, no extra decoration, no difference between the husband’s and wife’s ring. It wasn’t the trend than but we got lucky and it was actually cheaper than most delicate golden or silver ones. 

Little throwback to the discussion about pronunciation: I HATE it when people don’t even try to pronounce my name right after I told them what it is. Even my British in laws were able to almost do it right from the start. They try and that is all I ask for. But so many just use their languages pronounciation. My name is quite common in a lot of western languages, but people could still try though.  

City names don’t bother me at all. Berlin has so many different pronounciations in Germany alone due to dialects (Berlin slang for example: BAH-lin, no -r- to be found) that I don’t expect people to do it right. When I started to spend my time in England I was definitely in for a rude awakening due to the right pronunciation. I thought I was good but Worcestershire, Worcestersauce, Scarborough and many more examples teached me otherwise.  And then they have local dialects too. The struggle is real!!

@JillyO, @SweetJuly and @just_ordinary - I'm getting the impression from your posts that perhaps I'm not the only FJer based in Germany? I didn't want to say what country I was in to try and keep myself anonymous, but I suppose with 82 million people here, one is hardly likely to find me based on that information alone.

At the risk of doxxing myself, if any of you are in the Düsseldorf-Cologne-Bonn region, do let me know. We can grab a coffee and speculate on the risk of dominionism coming to the Continent!

2 hours ago, Plexus31Wife said:

@JillyO, @SweetJuly and @just_ordinary - I'm getting the impression from your posts that perhaps I'm not the only FJer based in Germany? I didn't want to say what country I was in to try and keep myself anonymous, but I suppose with 82 million people here, one is hardly likely to find me based on that information alone.

At the risk of doxxing myself, if any of you are in the Düsseldorf-Cologne-Bonn region, do let me know. We can grab a coffee and speculate on the risk of dominionism coming to the Continent!

Fellow German here but Munich based. Hi there! 

This is so cool! I'm not the only fundie-hunter here. I'm sure I will get down to Berlin, Munich and Brussels in the coming months. Will let you know! 

3 hours ago, Plexus31Wife said:

Wiesbaden here, so actually not too far from Cologne ;-)

Wonder if the other European countries also have their fair share of FreeJinger’s as well? 

I've never been to the Netherlands. Years ago my sister-in-law got me a shirt that says Holland, Michigan when she was on a trip. I've lost count of how many people have see the Holland part and tell me all about their trip or trips to the Netherlands. The Michigan part is visible directly under Holland but its smaller that no one really notices. I feel a little bad because its not really a shirt from the Netherlands. I tried correcting them in the beginning but stopped. Their so excited to tell me all about their trip that I stop and let them tell me about their trips. But the stories are really cool. The country must be really cool that so many people walk up to a stranger to tell them all about their trip.    

19 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:
I've never been to the Netherlands. Years ago my sister-in-law got me a shirt that says Holland, Michigan when she was on a trip. I've lost count of how many people have see the Holland part and tell me all about their trip or trips to the Netherlands. The Michigan part is visible directly under Holland but its smaller that no one really notices. I feel a little bad because its not really a shirt from the Netherlands. I tried correcting them in the beginning but stopped. Their so excited to tell me all about their trip that I stop and let them tell me about their trips. But the stories are really cool. The country must be really cool that so many people walk up to a stranger to tell them all about their trip.    

The Netherlands represent!
Although I'm more of a lurker, I think this is even my first post ever on FJ.

Hello to all you German FJers!   I’m visiting Munich in November and have been geeking out over Airbnb all day. Lol. I can’t  wait to visit that beautiful city.  

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

How cool strangers do that. I have yet to visit the biggest tourist places myself (Anne Frank house for example) though :my_angel: . I really love my country. (well besides the Sinterklaas blackface thing, which would drive my family apart of I ever mentioned my stance on it (against)). Proud Dutchie over here for basically everything else. Right now, especially loving the olympics with the Dutch ice speed skaters, they rocked!

On 2/16/2018 at 8:56 PM, viii said:

I don't think it's a Catholic thing at all, LOL. I work at a Catholic school and I don't know a single married person who does that. 

I always thought it was more of an Orthodox thing?

Here in the Netherlands that is the ‘rule’ for Catholics, for Protestants it is the other way around.

Most people are atheists here so they have free choice and probably most religious people also just choose what they prefer.

33 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

Proud Dutchie over here for basically everything else. Right now, especially loving the olympics with the Dutch ice speed skaters, they rocked!

That is exactly why I prefer the winter Olympics to the summer games. The US does so well in the summer games that our television coverage is basically showing the US winning medals. The winter games are more about the world. I enjoy watching the skiing and shooting, ski jumping, sliding (luge/skeleton/bobsled), speed skating, and hockey. I celebrate Norwegian, Dutch, German, Canadian, Austrian, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, and Danish medals with those on Free Jinger from those countries. 

33 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

How cool strangers do that. I have yet to visit the biggest tourist places myself (Anne Frank house for example) though :my_angel: . I really love my country. (well besides the Sinterklaas blackface thing, which would drive my family apart of I ever mentioned my stance on it (against)). Proud Dutchie over here for basically everything else. Right now, especially loving the olympics with the Dutch ice speed skaters, they rocked!

They are doing awesome!  

4 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

That is exactly why I prefer the winter Olympics to the summer games. The US does so well in the summer games that our television coverage is basically showing the US winning medals. The winter games are more about the world. I enjoy watching the skiing and shooting, ski jumping, sliding (luge/skeleton/bobsled), speed skating, and hockey. I celebrate Norwegian, Dutch, German, Canadian, Austrian, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, and Danish medals with those on Free Jinger from those countries. 

I love both Olympics and watched them obsessively. I've currently DVRing everything and watching every game. I'll probably be done a week after the Olympics but I don't want to miss any thing. But I agree that it sucks that summer games only show US winning medals. I want to watch everyone. I want to watch all of the games. Like with gymnastics I want to watch everyone who is competing. The Rio Olympics there was the app that you can download and watch every game. It was so awesome and so fun. I watched all of the gymnastics. It was so much fun seeing all of the routines. The Dutch ones were really cool. It was fun to watch all of archery. I really wish they'd put it all on TV.

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Ski jumping always seems to me like such a niche sport. It is nice to know somebody besides us Poles, Germans, Norwegians and maaaybe Austrians watches it :my_biggrin: there surely was a lot of celebrating after our ski jumper's gold on Saturday - it's our only medal in PyeongChang for now!

I'm always super excited for figure skating, which we don't really compete in. I'm waiting for "I, Tonya" to premiere here, we don't get it until like March 10th. I read tons about this story and it is fascinating!

8 hours ago, Plexus31Wife said:

german here too, but I am in Hamburg :dance:

Frankfurt am Main over here. At least it is the next larger city that is recognisable for others. I was in Brussels twice and I loved the town. We were in this great restaurant called 't Spinnekopke and we tried many sorts of belgish beer. 

I'm so sad that biathlon is so unpopular in the US. It's my favorite winter sport, but all the competitions are at like 3 am here and I've only caught a single race in reruns so far. That said, I watch pretty much EVERY competition (live or in reruns) that they show. I freaking love the Olympics.

(I don't start my new job until Monday of next week, so I have LOTS of time to watch the Olympics. Yay!)

16 hours ago, JillyO said:

That's not true. I have never met anyone in Germany who didn't wear their wedding band on their right hand (although I'm sure there are some people who do it for personal reasons). Traditionally, the woman would wear the engagement ring on her left hand. When the couple gets married, the engagement ring becomes the wedding band and is moved to the right hand. Now that separate engagement rings have become more common, most women wear their engagement ring on their left hand and their wedding band on their right hand. I just checked a couple of sources (in German) and they all confirm this.

You're mostly right, but it does depend on the region. The vast, absolutely vast majority of Germans wear their wedding bands on the right hand. Not my lot. The one million of us, as compared to the other 70 million of Germans (rough numbers) make up for the tiny minority that traditionally wears the wedding band on the left hand. So, I'd agree with you on the whole, only, we do things a little differently. As I said, it's the only region in Germany that does that, and there aren't many of us! :)

Totally insignificant, in the grand scheme of things. But my region is so insignificant that we take pleasure in piping up every now and then to annoy the majority. Forgive me this regional quirk, in the spirit of keeping Germany weird, will you?

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived