IGNORED

Josiah Duggar: Part 5

laPapessaGiovanna

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lauren and Josiah look very good together! I hope he gets back to his old self soon after marriage! I'm sure Lauren would appreciate it to not have the cookie cutter stereotypical fundie husband.

She seems to be a cookie cutter stereotypical fundie girl who will probably turn into a cookie cutter fundie stereotypical wife so I wouldn’t say that.

It seems to me that Jb has searched for the most stereotypical fundie girl  he could find the family circle to keep Josiah near the family and well into the brand.

Marjorie was a mistake look what she doing now!

Yinz/Yins was mentioned. My grandmother (7th generation American) always said "sweep" instead of vacuum.

My favourite thing about people not from Newfoundland is watching them try to say Newfoundland like the locals. 

Tourist: New-Found-land. 

*Locals Giggles* 

Tourist: I mean New-Finland

Well, that's as close as you're getting! :P 

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yinz/Yins was mentioned. My grandmother (7th generation American) always said "sweep" instead of vacuum.

We would sweep or "run the sweeper"..

My grandmother is from New Orleans and I was corrected many times that it is one word, not two - Nawlens (that’s as close to writing it out as I can get, I still can’t say it right ;) )  

I have fewer problems with people mispronouncing unfamiliar place names (Puyallup, Sequim anyone) than I do when it is supposed to be the setting of a television show/movie or referred to in a show or movie, and the actor mispronounces it. One example of this is in the movie We Are Marshall, which talks about rebuilding the Marshall football team, after the team was killed in the horrific plane crash. They got the coach from Wooster College (Ohio), which is pronounced with the short oo, like in book, not the long one (ew- think loose) as they pronounced it in the movie. Do your due diligence, people, to establish credibility!

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Nevada. Short a like cat, not car. Pet peeve.

Unless it's a town in Missouri, then it's pronounced Na' VAY da.

there's a town near me in NY called Avon, but it's with a short A, like cat.  and nearby Lima is pronounced like the bean, not the capital of Peru.  30+ years ago, we lived in MA where Peabody is Peeba-dee (with very low emphasis on the second syllable), and Haverhill is Hay-vrull.

Cairo, Illinois (Care-O)

khaki (like the pants):  in Brit-speak, it's car-key. So, imagine my newlywed confusion when DH asked me where his car keys were... It was the first of many "discussions" we've had regarding who says it right. lol

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

We would sweep or "run the sweeper"..

My Lancashire Nana always ,'ran the sweeper,'  when using the vacuum. She was in service as a 15 year old. The saying stems from the manual carpet sweeper with wheels I believe. 

4 hours ago, RainbowSky said:

@fluffernutter It's redd up if it helps any. I have np idea of why. Never tried to look it up lol

Was yinz a word thrown around as well? Or "sweep" instead of using vacuum as a verb?  

:pb_lol:

Yes lol. 

@Audrey2 brought up Nevada - but let's throw the other Missouri oddball in there.  Versailles.  No, not like the palace in France.  

And as a Kansan, I have to throw in El Dorado (not like the car by Cadaliac but El Dor ay do) and Salina (which people seem to try to pronounce more like Saline County Missouri or Salinas California when it is Sa line uh)  

15 minutes ago, clueliss said:

@Audrey2 brought up Nevada - but let's throw the other Missouri oddball in there.  Versailles.  No, not like the palace in France.  

As I remember, the one in Ohio is Ver-sails.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Cairo, Illinois (Care-O)

khaki (like the pants):  in Brit-speak, it's car-key. So, imagine my newlywed confusion when DH asked me where his car keys were... It was the first of many "discussions" we've had regarding who says it right. lol

I am British, my husband is American. We have “discussions” about the pronunciation of khaki also. From my POV, the American way of saying it sounds like “cacky”, which is a problem for me as where I’m from “cack” means shit, therefore fomething cacky would be something covered in shit... 

We use "cachu" (Welsh - pronounced "cacky") for shit all the time too. lol

Other words we pronounce differently:  renaissance, oregano, privacy, scone, vitamins, schedule. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now. haha

21 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We use "cachu" (Welsh - pronounced "cacky") for shit all the time too. lol

Other words we pronounce differently:  renaissance, oregano, privacy, scone, vitamins, schedule. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now. haha

Aluminium! That always cracks me up.

Oh - another! Garage. He intentionally pronounces is GARE-idge just to piss off his (wannabe-posh) mother. 

Street here called Lagimodiere. My grandma swears that the family it was named after lived down the street from her, and it was pronounced ladge-mo-JEER.  Everyone else in the city pronounces it laj-MO-dee-yay.  

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived