IGNORED

Bates 23: Waiting on the Next Wedding

Coconut Flan

28 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

The Bates family instagram posted that the surprise announcement Nathan made on stage at Lawson's concert, that will be shown on tonight's episode, made her and Gil cry.

An guesses on what the announcement was?

It most not have been that newsworthy since it was at a public concert and the attendees could have easily posted about it somewhere

I think it had to do with Kelly and Gils anniversary which would have been only a few days after the Tori Bobby wedding. maybe the kids planned something and Nate was the one to tell them about it. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Guesses:

1. He’s decided to become a hair stylist for women and use that time to minister to them about how Godly long, loose curls are.

Do you think Crown College School o' Jesus and Cosmetology would accept a male student?

Last, in honor of their 30th anniversary, Gil and Kelly Jo have a memorable date night and attend Lawson’s Charity Christmas concert. But when Nathan jumps up on stage unannounced, the family's in for an unexpected surprise!

This is the quote from the episode description! I dont know why, but I am expecting a courtship announcement hahah but I doubt that is it.

My brother has policed my clothing choices in the past. Mostly if we were going out together somewhere fancy and he thought I was dressed too casual for the venue or the rare occasions when I where something sexy. But never anything as controlling as Nathan there. He more just expressed his disappointment.  Also, I'm pretty sure he'd have the sense to keep his opinions to himself if it were my wedding FFS. 

As for the surprise, I'm thinking it's something super un-interesting. Like the kids got them a gift or something.  Wasn't there a time where they advertised a big surprise announcement multiple times, but when the episode finally aired there was no announcement? Or was that the Duggars?

If all the kids got them a gift then why the phrasing of "the family" being surprised. That wording makes me think all of the siblings are surprised too. I don't know why I am analyzing this hahaha it has just been an uneventful day :lol:

@TuringMachine I think it was the Duggars that pulled an announcement when they had been advertising one. 

FJ was right again! Nathan's big announcement was just a speech honoring his parents anniversary. 

BOOOOOOO :lol:

Nathan comes across as a patriarchal asshole in the last episode. He kind of was my favourite Bates boy until now, but i guess it was only because we dont usually hear him speak that much.

The FB live was very telling. When they were talking about the boys dating, he said something about not being able to get girls “into the fold.” The only reason they got Whitney was because “her mind was impressionable.” If you need any more reason to hate them.

(I can’t remember word for word, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.)

4 minutes ago, ColeJo said:

The FB live was very telling. When they were talking about the boys dating, he said something about not being able to get girls “into the fold.” The only reason they got Whitney was because “her mind was impressionable.” If you need any more reason to hate them.

(I can’t remember word for word, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.)

don't remember that part but I do remember him saying Trace was single and tracing saying something like "I am?" as in Trace himself didn't even seem to know he was single. 

Wow, Nathan was even worse in the episode he went on and on and on about the long hair. I feel strange complimenting Gil who did start out saying the same thing but immediately back tracked when he realized it was what Tori wanted and even joked about trying digging himself out of the hole.  It was nice that he did that. But Nathan probably learned that 'tude from him.          

2 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I feel strange complimenting Gil who did start out saying the same thing but immediately back tracked when he realized it was what Tori wanted and even joked about trying digging himself out of the hole. 

I wonder if it is because he realized how Tori felt or because it dawned on him cameras were filming every single word he said. 

5 hours ago, ColeJo said:

he said something about not being able to get girls “into the fold.” 

Ugh. The Bates really are starting to show who they truly are. They aren't pleasant people. Ashley might have been in IBLP, but I bet she wasn't ready to be lorded over by a Bates son who thought he was a mini-god. 

2 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Wow, Nathan was even worse in the episode he went on and on and on about the long hair. I feel strange complimenting Gil who did start out saying the same thing but immediately back tracked when he realized it was what Tori wanted and even joked about trying digging himself out of the hole.  It was nice that he did that. But Nathan probably learned that 'tude from him.          

Exactly. And who knows how he would have reacted or how he did react once the cameras were off. Good for Tori for wearing her hair how she wanted it and not how she was told to wear it.

I'm not surprised at the Bates showing their true colors, a few weeks ago in a live Tori and Lawson got into an argument and Gil just changed the subject, I guess in an attempt to calm the situation which worked but it looked like a screaming fight was about to happen. I've a feeling the Bateseseses fight all the time and scream at each other like crazy. 

Unlike the Duggars they're pretty vocal about everything, the whole "we're best friendssss" is a bunch of crap and there's a very toxic dynamic between these families.. The Duggars are more the kind of people to keep it together in the inside but gossip about each other, be sneaky and conniving behind their backs. The Bates tried to hide the hate but they can't do it forever.

Wow that clip of Nathan really was a bad as people were saying. 

Nathan "You will regret it UNTIL THE DAY YOU DIE"

Tori "Lots of brides wear their hair up"

Nathan "Yeah, and they all look terrible."

TERRIBLE? Really? Also they do long loose curls all the time. An updo is more special for them. 

Changed my mind about Nathan too. I thought he was a quiet country boy who appreciated Ashley's spunk but he needs to take three giant steps back, shut the hell up, and ask himself (silently) if that's how he wants to be portrayed on the Bates' dating ministry show. 

I guess I looked terrible on my wedding day...lol.I had long hair,and had it put up.

I loved JInger's look,when she had her hair put  up on her wedding day,too.

Nathan seems so bossy and judgmental,now.

@melon I was just thinking it was funny how dramatic Nathan was being about brides with updos looking terrible, when IMO, between the Bates and Duggar weddings so far, the two brides who have looked the best were the ones who chose updos!

3 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I'm not surprised at the Bates showing their true colors, a few weeks ago in a live Tori and Lawson got into an argument and Gil just changed the subject, I guess in an attempt to calm the situation which worked but it looked like a screaming fight was about to happen. I've a feeling the Bateseseses fight all the time and scream at each other like crazy. 

Unlike the Duggars they're pretty vocal about everything, the whole "we're best friendssss" is a bunch of crap and there's a very toxic dynamic between these families.. The Duggars are more the kind of people to keep it together in the inside but gossip about each other, be sneaky and conniving behind their backs. The Bates tried to hide the hate but they can't do it forever.

oh you are so right here a clip about the Bates fighting 

http://uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-lover-not-a-fighter/

Just going to say one nice thing, real quick.

I thought the honeymoon that Bobby was planning sounded romantic and dare I say, sexy? I totally want to take a winter retreat trip with my hubby where we are snowed in somewhere. (Somewhere other than home that is- we live in MI, so being snowed in isn’t abnormal.)

22 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Exactly. And who knows how he would have reacted or how he did react once the cameras were off. Good for Tori for wearing her hair how she wanted it and not how she was told to wear it.

Gil seemed genuine to me. He had just entered the room when Nathan asked if the hair should be up or down,he immediately responded and then when he saw Tori’s face he looked like he really felt bad. 

On another note  at the concert I cracked up at Nathan because the first thing he asked the audience was if anyone had a hobby. Then he said his parents had 18 kids so that was their hobby. He was going for “devoted to parenthood” but his wording made it seems he was announcing to an entire audience that his parents’ hobby was screwing like rabbits. 

1 hour ago, Letizia said:

He was going for “devoted to parenthood” but his wording made it seems he was announcing to an entire audience that his parents’ hobby was screwing like rabbits. 

That’s what I thought too. I actually thought he was trying to be funny at first.

Any of the Bates social media accounts mention the IBLP family conference they are getting ready to attend? Last year Gil and Kelly made it seem like they were at Niagara Falls when they were really in Big Sandy hosting the family conference. Gil and Kelly are heading up lots of the speeches, but the brochure doesn't say what they will be talking about. Maybe Gil will give his lecture on how to grift. 

IDK but most men in my family will say if they like something or not. If my dad doesn't like something he'll say it. 

7 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

IDK but most men in my family will say if they like something or not. If my dad doesn't like something he'll say it. 

She didn’t even have her hair up yet, nor did she solicit Nathan’s opinion regarding her choice.

His opinion was not welcome and it was strange how much he cared.

6 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

She didn’t even have her hair up yet, nor did she solicit Nathan’s opinion regarding her choice.

His opinion was not welcome and it was strange how much he cared.

This. I mean, I cannot imagine my brother taking such a passionate interest in my hair choices. Still I suppose that that's part of the Gothard world - female choices are subject to male approval.

I'm glad that Tori wore her hair the way she wanted to. 

Ughhh, this guy is such a jerk! 

i was reading through the posts here annoyed, and didn't think it could be worse until I actually saw the video of it. Wow, he was really OTT and adamant about it.  And Tori's face showed the disappointment when he was telling her off about it. 

I am glad Tori stuck to her own wishes though in the end. She had proper reasons for picking that hairstyle, to best suit her face, and show off her beautiful dress and not have it covered up with long messy hair all over it just like every other day.

Tori and Jinger both had up-do's, and it didn't ruin the bridal look. In fact, the opposite, I felt they were both the best looking fundie brides. 

I am glad Ashley will not have to deal with this hair controlling jerk at her own wedding now. 

And that comment about Whitney is just awful. How insulting. I hope she never hears or reads that.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived