IGNORED

Turpins 3: 2 Monsters, 13 Victims (WARNING abuse and torture)

laPapessaGiovanna

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(I was replying on the other thread when this one was started and couldn't figure out why the reply wouldn't save.)

Anyway, to the question about what kind of plan the parents may have had when they sent/allowed the oldest son to go to college, my answer is that a lot of what these people did does not seem to come from a "plan" but rather a range of conflicting impulses.

They may simultaneously have wanted their "sons" (or just this one son) to get ahead in life and reflect well on them while also wanting to belittle and control the son(s).

They may simultaneously have wanted to "be a happy TV family" while not being willing to change anything in their sadistic and controlling environment to make themselves more "marketable."

And so on.

2 minutes ago, srlm said:

It’s completely breaking my heart that the siblings aren’t being kept together. 

I hope they are given plenty of opportunity to spend time together. 

8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I hope they are given plenty of opportunity to spend time together. 

There may be an unequal balance of power amongst the siblings.  The caregivers may be addressing this. IMO

27 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

There may be an unequal balance of power amongst the siblings.  The caregivers may be addressing this. IMO

I didn't even think of that, thank you.  

Taking on six severely traumatized and unsocialized  kids may be too much for one foster family. In two groups of three the children can get more personal attention, which they will definitely need. I also hope they will be close in distance and can see each other often. And extra prayers for the foster parents. The children deserve the best.

56 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Anyway, to the question about what kind of plan the parents may have had when they sent/allowed the oldest son to go to college, my answer is that a lot of what these people did does not seem to come from a "plan" but rather a range of conflicting impulses.

They may simultaneously have wanted their "sons" (or just this one son) to get ahead in life and reflect well on them while also wanting to belittle and control the son(s).

I wonder if they did this so eventually the son could take care of the entire family so dad could retire - ala Arndt. 

Also, with the high level of care and attention these kids need, it's essentially impossible to keep them together. Each of them needs and deserves a good deal of individualized caregiver attention, it's essential to their recovery, and that's not physically possible to give them all at once in the same house.  Splitting them up means they will be living in homes with a lower adult to kid ratio, meaning their caregivers will be able to focus on meeting all the needs of each and every child. 

There are foster families who "specialize" in higher needs care, but they rarely take in more than one or two children at a time so that they can be sure to provide the level of care the child requires. As the children recover and need less care, the state may look for a long term placement where they are together. 

It's crazy to me that there are more adults than children in that group. The pictures looked like almost all children. 

2 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

(I was replying on the other thread when this one was started and couldn't figure out why the reply wouldn't save.)

They may simultaneously have wanted to "be a happy TV family" while not being willing to change anything in their sadistic and controlling environment to make themselves more "marketable."

And so on.

How long ago did this son attend college? He's 28 years old now, IIRC. So this could have happened nearly a decade ago, when the parents were at a different level of evil compared to where they are now. Yet even then, this young man clearly wasn't getting enough to eat.

So... my dinner will be late tonight. I worked late, had to grocery shop... middle child had an extra curricular. I feel Horrible. I had to sneak some chips. Right s I did I was like oh hell no. Kids everyone up and find any snack you want. I’m not eating when they can’t. Cause you know... the bar is set realllly low now. These people are monsters.

Regarding the younger kids being separated- all of the previous comments are right. And I’ll add- I did public child welfare for 19 years- in another state of course. Our foster parents were only licensed for the number of children they could safely and legally transport by car, and children in foster care had to have their own bed and at least a dresser for clothing storage. It would be difficult for most people to take in 6 kids- home or car. 

It also takes a strong foster family to take on such a widely known case with the media and general public wanting information. Not to mention the court oversight. 

1 hour ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

How long ago did this son attend college? He's 28 years old now, IIRC. So this could have happened nearly a decade ago, when the parents were at a different level of evil compared to where they are now. Yet even then, this young man clearly wasn't getting enough to eat.

Recently, 2014-2016

It would be impossible for any organization to keep 13 kids and adults together and give them the individual care they need.  I do hope they get visits and I am glad the adults seam to be going to the same facility.

A judge in California has issued a protective order banning the parents of 13 siblings allegedly held captive in a suburban home from contacting them.

David and Louise Turpin, appearing shackled in court, must stay 100 yards away from their children and have no electronic contact for three years.

From the BBC

This is pretty much what we expected, but it is nice to have it confirmed.  The article also recaps the memories of a former schoolmate of the eldest daughter and the more recent account from a community college classmate of the oldest son.

2 hours ago, Frog99 said:

Regarding the younger kids being separated- all of the previous comments are right. And I’ll add- I did public child welfare for 19 years- in another state of course. Our foster parents were only licensed for the number of children they could safely and legally transport by car, and children in foster care had to have their own bed and at least a dresser for clothing storage. It would be difficult for most people to take in 6 kids- home or car. 

It also takes a strong foster family to take on such a widely known case with the media and general public wanting information. Not to mention the court oversight. 

Additionally, the legal children range from 2-17, with five of them between 12 and 17, and then the 2 year old. And the 2 year old is the only one in decent shape. So that's 5 teenagers/preteens who are horribly malnourished and mistreated and need serious help, plus a toddler who can't take care of herself at all. That's a lot of needs, and some fairly diverse needs as well.

58 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

This is pretty much what we expected, but it is nice to have it confirmed.  The article also recaps the memories of a former schoolmate of the eldest daughter and the more recent account from a community college classmate of the oldest son.

Thanks for the article.  Is that no contact even necessary though?  Monsters will remain in jail, yes?  Maybe it's a technicality that must be legally put into place.

8 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Thanks for the article.  Is that no contact even necessary though?  Monsters will remain in jail, yes?  Maybe it's a technicality that must be legally put into place.

I could see them trying to write or call the children from jail in an attempt to persuade them not to testify (or even just to mess up their recoveries).

2 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I could see them trying to write or call the children from jail in an attempt to persuade them not to testify (or even just to mess up their recoveries).

Ahhh, I see the logic now.  I guess I was thinking "of course no contact!"  But, yes, makes total sense.

This just struck me: what are the chances the Turpin “parents” are receiving mail of their own, of the hate mail variety? Would they be allowed to receive that mail or would it be held back?

I don’t endorse sending hate mail at all. I’m just curious about what they’d receive.

47 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Additionally, the legal children range from 2-17, with five of them between 12 and 17, and then the 2 year old. And the 2 year old is the only one in decent shape. So that's 5 teenagers/preteens who are horribly malnourished and mistreated and need serious help, plus a toddler who can't take care of herself at all. That's a lot of needs, and some fairly diverse needs as well.

I am actually surprised that they are not separating them more.  I had thought it likely that the 2 year old would be separated from the others because of the difference in needs.  It looks as if CPS made a real effort to keep  as many of the kids together as possible.  I hope there is the same effort to ensure that the 12 oldest can stay in frequent contact.

25 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

This just struck me: what are the chances the Turpin “parents” are receiving mail of their own, of the hate mail variety? Would they be allowed to receive that mail or would it be held back?

I don’t endorse sending hate mail at all. I’m just curious about what they’d receive.

I'm sure they get not only hate mail but love mail.  Marry me mail.  Those stories are out there and people are bizarre.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived