IGNORED

Turpins 2- California Torture House (Graphic content discussed)

dawbs

2 hours ago, keen23 said:

Here come the conspiracy theory people who think this is all a "false flag" to increase government oversight on Homeschoolers... in 3..2..1...

Just waiting for the Seppis or Jen Fishburne to post it. It will happen. 

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

That was Levi Quackenboss?! I didn't click through because I was already rolling my eyes too much to read it from the brief description. Complete anti-vaccine nut is understating it. Nice to see she's moving into "just a complete nutjob" territory.

Also I feel weirdly like I crossed the streams - I don't usually encounter her ravings on FJ.

I've never encountered that person, but I would love a thread for these pseudoscience nuts. I got very frustrated lately seeing a quote circle my facebook from a "holistic psychiatrist" who literally denies germ theory and calls antibiotics an emblem of the patriarchy.

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Levi Quackenboss is actually a "she" and she's a complete anti-vaccine nut and a vile human being. She doxxed a 12-year old boy who made a video on how vaccines don't cause autism. 

Wasn't that kid also on the spectrum? Not that it makes a difference, but I could see her going out of her way to attack someone who is autistic who is also pro-vaccine because that really discredits her movement.

16 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Buffy? That surprises me. I love the show now but back when it was on I thought it was evil.

I don't know. I've still not seen concrete evidence that they were recently super religious. They wore pants, trick or treated with the youngest, had Elvis preside over their vow renewals. 

Their movie collection only further confirms that they were secular. Nutjob sadists, but secular nevertheless. 

4 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I've never encountered that person, but I would love a thread for these pseudoscience nuts. I got very frustrated lately seeing a quote circle my facebook from a "holistic psychiatrist" who literally denies germ theory and calls antibiotics an emblem of the patriarchy.

...?  How does this "holistic psychiatrist" explain microscopes?  

And please tell me that she is not actually a medical doctor.  And please tell me someone's reported her for styling herself a psychiatrist.  

2 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

...?  How does this "holistic psychiatrist" explain microscopes?  

And please tell me that she is not actually a medical doctor.  And please tell me someone's reported her for styling herself a psychiatrist.  

She is. She got her MD at Cornell. Her name is Kelly Brogan and there are some overviews of her here and here. The Skeptical OB has written about her a few times, including in this post which I appreciated since that's the anti-medication quote that was circling my facebook.

One of the most bonkers quotes from her is in a story about a sick woman who came to her. Dr. Brogan just knew that the woman could get better if she "aligned with her body" rather than taking antibiotics.

She moaned and cried, vomited, and lost control of her bowels. But within 12 hours, she emerged. We joked that it felt like she had birthed the most beautiful baby and we were all here to ooh and ahh over it.

She demonstrated a woman’s fearless capacity to surrender to a process, and because she did that, it is now easier for every woman on the planet to meet that challenge in the future. This is the morphic resonance of fearlessness.

Contrarily, if she had taken antibiotics, she would have, in my estimation, prolonged and complexified her illness because the body will never be suppressed. Then when she finally recovered, she would have credited the antibiotics–the emblematic sacrament of the patriarchy–with her life and stability. What a loss therein.

Yes, antibiotics are the emblematic sacrament of the patriarchy. Unbelievably, this is not parody. She is totally serious and has a lot of people who listen to her.

2 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

@luv2laugh You can go through training and work as respite care for foster families or families with severely disabled children. Being a full time caregiver is extremely wearing and it's very difficult to get "off" time to perform self care for many families/moms. 

@Foudeb It's a miracle her mother brought Genie with her at all. If she hadn't, or the social worker didn't notice the disparity between Genie's age and development, she probably would have disappeared again. 

Just wanted to second this - my family has used respite care services for my brothers, and I've been a respite care provider (before health issues), and I can't speak enough to how much it's a life saver, and rewarding experience.  

It's a great "starting point" for those thinking of foster care, but aren't sure about the (usually) six month commitment.

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I just don't understand child hoarding like this. If you don't want to have kids...don't have them. 

If you have one child and realize it's a lot of work and not for you, well at least don't have any more. But why on earth keep breeding like a bunny when you can't stand and don't want to provide for the children you have?

My SIL (I've talked about her on another thread, where I has to make a heartbreaking call to report her once to DSS) . . . Seems emotionally distant (and I suspect emotional neglect) towards her toddler son, but still talks about wanting to try for a girl.  In her words, "girls are cuter." "Boys aren't  as much fun." (This is what she says to me - an out of town relative she sees rarely . . . I can only imagine what she says to her son behind closed doors).  Anyways, I suspect for her, a girl would be an easier extension of herself??

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

Check out CASA (court-appointed special advocates).  You get matched with a client in the system as their advocate, but they don't actually live with you.  (No personal experience, but I have a friend that does it).

Would this be the same as a court appointed legal guardian?  I've personally had great experiences with them - some can become very involved, some are there to help with paperwork and court dates.  It's also a great option for those who are considering to help local victims (but aren't sure about opening up their home).

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

Big Brothers, Big Sisters is also another way to go in terms of volunteering.  Fostering children takes extraordinary love, patience to deal with the emotional, psychological and often educational challenges these kids have.   Small portions of time spent with at-risk kids might be a good way to start.

I just wanted to add that though it's  great organization, shortly after my brother was paired with a big brother - a few weeks later, the brother decided it wasn't for him.  And it was pretty devastating for my brother.

I don't know what the vetting looks like for them, but please be sure you are willing and able to offer consistent time for the long haul.

46 minutes ago, Crazy Enough to Join said:

As a foster parent, there are some foster kids who match your description. But there are others who are actually super easy kids. There is a huge need for foster parents of infants too if one isn't up to the behavioral challenges older children may have. I encourage people to at least go to the informational meeting your county has (usually once a month.) There is no commitment needed to go to the meeting or even to just take the classes and see if you're able to help these kids. These kids need us!
  Also you can set your abilities at whatever you want. Maybe you only want to help kids with physical needs, not behavioral needs. Or you only want to be an emergency placement option who takes children in the middle of the night and keeps them a week or two until a permanent family is found. Or you only want to do respite.

My mom specified in infants :)  she loved it!  We also did "emergency" cases, where we would sometimes get a kid or kids during the night, have them for about 72 hours, and then they would be placed with the approprate foster family.

You can absolutely customize the age group, special/medical needs, amount of kids, etc.  Though obviously, please be prepared that no.matter.what. the children will be dealing with emotional fallouts  (so please get the proper training on how you can support them).

Whatever any of you chose, or route you might explore, I commend you all for wanting to help those around you <3

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I just don't understand child hoarding like this. If you don't want to have kids...don't have them. 

If you have one child and realize it's a lot of work and not for you, well at least don't have any more. But why on earth keep breeding like a bunny when you can't stand and don't want to provide for the children you have?

My degree in Investigation Discovery (:P - sorry) taught me that criminals who work in pairs may have a dynamic where they feed off each other. Maybe one of them is more of a sadist and the other is more child hoarder. The sadist would be fine with the child hoarding beause there would be more victims. Maybe neither one of them would have done this alone. Just theorizing, trying to make any of this make sense.

The DVD collection is... odd. Looks like a lot of mainstream stuff. Kinda like Elvis and Disneyland -- popular stuff that David and Louise enjoyed for themselves.

50 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

More for the rest of us then.

How the everloving fuck can you not wash your hands above the wrists? That's where your hands are!

I truly hope that self-righteous, judgemental, hateful so-called Christians who spout off about people who are sexed differently than them, or women who work or wear pants, or send their kids to public school, or vote Democratic, being condemned by God understand that God couldn't care less about any of that superficial crap. What he condemns is the depraved actions of these subhuman creatures. Instead of encouraging child abuse like Lori Alexander does, Christians should root out and fight against mistreatment of others in their communities. Protection of the weak and vulnerable, that's God-approved behavior, not "modest" dress, and other bullshit like that. 

The depths apparently human, but not really, individuals can sink to seems to have no bottom. It's frightening. But evil like this also brings out the best in people. We are all thinking of ways to help others, even if the needs of the Turpin family are met. Folks will hopefully be more attuned to signs of abuse and neglect and will err on the side of caution about reporting. 

My struggle is to not hate these criminals so much that I make myself sick. They are like Dump, can't stand to see their faces. There is no punishment severe enough that our criminal justice system can mete out.  I loved seeing them chained in the courtroom.  

Please engage in self-care, all of my fellow FJ members. Like many of you, I have shed tears over the suffering that the Turpin siblings endured. But, they are no longer victims, and will reach their maximum potential whatever that may be. So many people and institutions care about them. It will be a long journey, but  they have the potential for happiness and wholeness. In that, we can rejoice. Love will win.

I've been reading every post on FJ about this and finally caught up to this new thread. I've caught up a few times along the way the past few days but even though I had so much to say, I just couldn't get it out. I still can't.

I've had to follow this case in small increments and I am thankful for FJ and all you wonderful people who add information and insightful comments that have made that more doable. I was tortured as a child by my mother and her boyfriend- a lot of similar things as what happened to the Turpin kids but thankfully for a much shorter period and I also was saved by child services. That being said, they literally interviewed me in the presence of my abusers maybe 6 times over 2 years and decided each time that I was safe before bruises around my ankles (caused by being hung by my ankles by a rope tied to rafters) were noticed by a social worker who was visiting her family members a few houses down when I stopped to pull my socks back up. So this case has been triggering but I'm proud of myself for managing. I now work with victims of child abuse as my specialty in psychology but it took years of intense exposure therapy to deal with my cPTSD to give me the ability to be able to help others and delve into the darkness. I'm so thankful for the psychologist who saw me for free for so long so that I can do that.

That being said, this case- the amount of children involved, the fact that they lived in a densely populated part of the country, the depravity of the parents- it's just shaken me to my core.

All of your responses have been keeping me going though- those of you wanting to give back, all of your honest and visceral disgust, and those of you sharing the information but interspersing it with your intelligent takes on things and with compassion for the children- it has been a way to follow this mess that I can't look away from without subjecting myself to the non-stop horror in the news articles that lack a human element. 

2 hours ago, imokit said:

Confirmation of speculation here about hinky things in their early relationship.

Daily fail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289527/David-Louise-Turpin-eloped-16.html

David kidnapped Louise at 16, she was brought back by the police at which point her dad was mad at her and said she'd made her choice and let them marry.

This also broke her parents marriage up.

Her 2 youngest siblings (one was 3 when she married) and the other is a half sibling who wasn't born, have disowned her.  The Christian counsellor sibling (who loves her and is praying for her) isn't mentioned in this one.

It think it’s so crazy to see her childhood photos. It’s hard to look at her as a young girl imagining that she would grow up to be a monster. 

D1432795-61DC-45D4-9423-CA854E424AE7.jpeg

7 hours ago, Nollybear said:

Hi all - I'm late to this topic since I had to register first, but when the first thread was relatively new, I took a look at the david.louiseturpin Facebook page and scrolled through all the pages they had "Liked." Some things stood out to me:

1) A vast amount of likes for food brands, pet supply companies, and grocery items, and one like for a couponing page - seems like there may have been pets in the household, and they were either into couponing for groceries, or wanted to be.

2) One like for Vision Forum (no one here mentioned it and I thought it was salient!)

3) A couple of "likes" for Elvis wedding temple places...it occurred to me that they were Pentecostal and Elvis was also raised Pentecostal, so maybe that's partly why they were Elvis fans.

4) A couple of likes for blogs of large families.

5) One like for an apparently Christian motivational speaker/marketer (not sure if it was the sister or someone else.)

Anyway, I just wanted to list it all, since I know the Facebook page was inaccessible for a while and some of these things seemed relevant.

This story is so shocking. Those poor kids.

I noticed when I looked through their Facebook before it was taken down that the crazy sister of Louise commented on a lot of the photos- photos where she knew the approximate ages of the kids and things and apparently didn't notice anything wrong. There was one photo where the baby was in the forefront and the other kids in the background and she definitely commented on that. She's been telling all these news sources that they didn't have contact for 19 years but her comments were very lovingly and familiarly phrased and Louise liked or commented to a few of them. I wish I'd screenshot them now.

Regarding Big Brothers Big Sisters, in my 20s I spent 5 years as an official Big Sister since I was matched with a 13 year old and we stayed matched 'til she was 18 and aged out. Then, since I was still in the area for another year after that, I continued doing things with her weekly for that year despite no longer being an official match. I'm still Facebook friends with her, her mother, and her actual sister and usually go see them when I'm in the area. 

I initially was required to commit to a single year, with the option to keep going if we both wanted to. In our case, it worked out. I can see how unexpected changes in their lives (health, moving, family issues) might lead to "Bigs" having to stop, but it's very hard on the kids to be left like that, so BBBS definitely wants people who are able and willing to commit to at least that first year. 

4 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Today I just asked my husband if he could consider us becoming foster parents in a few years (we are mid 20s) and he said “No. Too emotionally rough.”

I am upset because this case makes me want to very much since it’s clearly the best way to help aside from giving money.

That’s the problem with this country. People don’t think they have to do anything because it’s “too tough” or “not worth it” and there must be millions of other people sending money, sending cards and card packs, foster parenting, etc.

This is in no way directed to you or your husband and it isn't a judgement on anyone who chooses to never foster- just something I've thought about a lot over the years...

It has been a conversation that I have had with my two long-term partners in the past, somewhat early on, that I want to foster some day. Yes, it is going to be emotionally rough for me and any future partner that I have. But you know who really has it emotionally rough? Those kids. And there are a lot of foster carers who do abuse children in their care, it is much higher as a percentage than the average, and that is due to people who are struggling taking the measly amount of money that the state gives them and spending it on themselves and/or their bio-kids and not on the foster child. Not just that, but there is always a higher risk of abuse to children being cared for by a non-biological parent :'( 

That is not to say that the majority of foster parents and non-bio parents/caregivers are amazing...just sad statistics :( 

Anyway, I hope to be in the financial position one day to open my home to a foster child and it's important for me to have a partner who is at the very least open to the idea.

44 minutes ago, Aine said:

I've been reading every post on FJ about this and finally caught up to this new thread. I've caught up a few times along the way the past few days but even though I had so much to say, I just couldn't get it out. I still can't.

I've had to follow this case in small increments and I am thankful for FJ and all you wonderful people who add information and insightful comments that have made that more doable. I was tortured as a child by my mother and her boyfriend- a lot of similar things as what happened to the Turpin kids but thankfully for a much shorter period and I also was saved by child services. That being said, they literally interviewed me in the presence of my abusers maybe 6 times over 2 years and decided each time that I was safe before bruises around my ankles (caused by being hung by my ankles by a rope tied to rafters) were noticed by a social worker who was visiting her family members a few houses down when I stopped to pull my socks back up. So this case has been triggering but I'm proud of myself for managing. I now work with victims of child abuse as my specialty in psychology but it took years of intense exposure therapy to deal with my cPTSD to give me the ability to be able to help others and delve into the darkness. I'm so thankful for the psychologist who saw me for free for so long so that I can do that.

That being said, this case- the amount of children involved, the fact that they lived in a densely populated part of the country, the depravity of the parents- it's just shaken me to my core.

All of your responses have been keeping me going though- those of you wanting to give back, all of your honest and visceral disgust, and those of you sharing the information but interspersing it with your intelligent takes on things and with compassion for the children- it has been a way to follow this mess that I can't look away from without subjecting myself to the non-stop horror in the news articles that lack a human element. 

Fellow torture survivor, here. I don't often share for many many reasons. This is why I am sharing NOW:

In short, I am afraid of more kids getting tortured due to an increasingly lack of oversight.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

If you want to learn more about the link between child maltreatment and unregulated homeschooling practices, go to the site Homeschooling's Invisible Children, a partner site to CRHS.

Coming "out of the closet" to add another "face", and hopefully spark some action. Thank you for your bravery in doing so, Aine. We both can tell you that even us success stories continue to hurt deeply. Maybe with many calls, emails and letters to officials, we can turn the tide and save children's hearts, minds, and lives.

It has been a conversation that I have had with my two long-term partners in the past, somewhat early on, that I want to foster some day. Yes, it is going to be emotionally rough for me and any future partner that I have. But you know who really has it emotionally rough? Those kids. And there are a lot of foster carers who do abuse children in their care, it is much higher as a percentage than the average, and that is due to people who are struggling taking the measly amount of money that the state gives them and spending it on themselves and/or their bio-kids and not on the foster child. Not just that, but there is always a higher risk of abuse to children being cared for by a non-biological parent :'( 

That is not to say that the majority of foster parents and non-bio parents/caregivers are amazing...just sad statistics [emoji20] 

Anyway, I hope to be in the financial position one day to open my home to a foster child and it's important for me to have a partner who is at the very least open to the idea.

Thank you for this counter. It is something I will share with Mr. FF next time we discuss. It’s a desire I’ve had too.

Also...many of us Christians are fighting against abuse in churches. It is slow going but we are there and we are vigilant. FJ has been tremendously helpful to me in that mission, and in fact helped me find my voice, by pointing out people I grew up listening to and now can see through their veneers, sharing posts on locating suspect church records, posting contradictory statements by leaders, etc. FJ is invaluable to me in proving to others that there ARE problems in the church. It is so helpful to go into a discussion with someone who likes Doug Wilson and be able to say, “Let me point you to 10 court documents that prove what you just said completely wrong, and his own words hypocritical.” THAT is so valuable. It’s not just “I don’t like him” or “This person’s theology doesn’t line up exactly with your interpretation of what the Bible says.” No, there’s proof here and I know I’m not the only one using it to combat the old ways- even in a stringent denomination. I’m proud to be part of something that, while a snark network, still maintains documentation and a watchful eye on where the true sin really is. Because of FJ, I found a place where I could comfortably learn to debate my thoughts where I never had before. And now, when I see weirdness in my religious circles, you can bet it’s being called out- straight up to church leadership- with much thanks to you all for the documentation to support.

7 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

Fellow torture survivor, here. I don't often share for many many reasons. This is why I am sharing NOW:

In short, I am afraid of more kids getting tortured due to an increasingly lack of oversight.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

If you want to learn more about the link between child maltreatment and unregulated homeschooling practices, go to the site Homeschooling's Invisible Children, a partner site to CRHS.

Coming "out of the closet" to add another "face", and hopefully spark some action. Thank you for your bravery in doing so, Aine. We both can tell you that even us success stories continue to hurt deeply. Maybe with many calls, emails and letters to officials, we can turn the tide and save children's hearts, minds, and lives.

Yes, @FilleMondaine - great post. I'd also recommend that if there is a free psychology/psychiatric clinic in your area, donating to them. While doing my PhD, I work in our university's clinic that is not the student counseling center but is open to the public and charged at a sliding scale. We take on a lot of kids who are currently with foster families with no charge, as well as a lot of other people dealing with a lifetime's worth of trauma that has resulted in them struggling to live a 'regular' life with consistent employment and other opportunities. Those that see us that can pay do (even if it's $5 although we have clients who are wealthier who pay $60-$80), and that keeps the stationary stocked, our amazing receptionist (who does WAY more than reception- she's an angel) paid, and allows us to purchase *some* resources sometimes. We, the student clinicians, do not get paid- and we do a good job because we're so heavily supervised by licensed psychologists. But we're always under-resourced and you can direct your donation to our clinic to a particular cause (e.g. to purchase resources to help traumatized children). 

I was a licensed psychologist in my home country and so were a few other students in my program but we're not here yet due to different licensing requirements. As I said above, my specialty is child abuse but also trauma and substance use and I worked full time in that as a clinician before my doctoral program. A lot of us are passionate at these "non-insurance" clinics about providing good quality long-term care (something not many clinicians can provide due to insurance cut-offs, co-pays, and state limits on psychological services). 

There have been so many fabulous suggestions for ways people can help in this thread- it has inspired me to do even more. I just thought I'd add in that one as well. 

Thank you, @FilleMondaine for also coming "out of the closet" here. Surviving what we did is not something you talk about usually because people don't react well. It's hard to have a childhood you can't talk about in normal conversation without people becoming upset, without it shutting down the conversation, or in the worst cases- without people think you're attention-seeking or unstable. That's something the Turpin children have yet to face :( 

28 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Thank you for this. It really, really bothers me how homeschooling activists have been pushing for a lack of regulations. Even purely on an education level I think that's a problem. Growing up as a homeschooler I at least had to take a standardized test every few years to show I was getting an adequate education, but now my state has eliminated even that paltry oversight thanks to homeschooling lobbyists. I have seen far too many cases of homeschooling families severely neglecting their children's education to be okay with that.

And then, like we've been discussing, it makes it much easier for parents to hide abuse. I hadn't seen the statistics on child torture and homeschooling. That's incredibly sad.

9 minutes ago, Aine said:

Thank you, @FilleMondaine for also coming "out of the closet" here. Surviving what we did is not something you talk about usually because people don't react well. It's hard to have a childhood you can't talk about in normal conversation without people becoming upset, without it shutting down the conversation, or in the worst cases- without people think you're attention-seeking or unstable. That's something the Turpin children have yet to face :( 

If my discomfort "coming out" helps propel others to contact their congress-critters at the state or federal level--then so be it.

(But whew--it's hard to talk about. Can't believe I'm posting so much. Guess that's part of the trigger...sigh)

4 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

If my discomfort "coming out" helps propel others to contact their congress-critters at the state or federal level--then so be it.

(But whew--it's hard to talk about. Can't believe I'm posting so much. Guess that's part of the trigger...sigh)

Log out and do some self-care for the rest of today...give yourself breaks. Now is a good time for us to "come out" while people are listening but we still need to show ourselves kindness, and actually extra-kindness right now. Sending you love.

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I don't know. I've still not seen concrete evidence that they were recently super religious. They wore pants, trick or treated with the youngest, had Elvis preside over their vow renewals. 

Their movie collection only further confirms that they were secular. Nutjob sadists, but secular nevertheless. 

I've read that the kids were forced to memorize big chunks of the Bible, and some trying to memorize the whole thing. Sounds religious to me.

We were considering homeschooling (probably not going to happen with this particular child) and I signed up for one of the homeschooling advocacy group email lists to start getting information. They really are nuts. I'm very in favor of homeschooling (obviously), but there's nothing wrong with some oversight. You should be made aware if you have a child slipping behind their grade level in a certain subject so you can remedy your teaching (different method, supplement with tutors, whatever). There's a huuuuge difference between teaching to a standardized test and keeping an eye on where your child is. 

1 hour ago, Aine said:

I noticed when I looked through their Facebook before it was taken down that the crazy sister of Louise commented on a lot of the photos- photos where she knew the approximate ages of the kids and things and apparently didn't notice anything wrong. There was one photo where the baby was in the forefront and the other kids in the background and she definitely commented on that. She's been telling all these news sources that they didn't have contact for 19 years but her comments were very lovingly and familiarly phrased and Louise liked or commented to a few of them. I wish I'd screenshot them now.

I did screenshot a bunch, those maybe not all of the David-Louise Turpin public photos on FB.  Something told me the account would go down quickly.     What struck me was that there was a period in which Louise (I presume it was  her) kept changing her cover photos, more than once a day or over days, to show her different photos from the same vow renewal event.  It was strange.  It seemed to be obsessive.   Meanwhile those kids were being abused :(

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived