IGNORED

Turpins 2- California Torture House (Graphic content discussed)

dawbs

Anyone else feel bad for the public defenders? They have to do their job but it would be hard for anyone to try to defend this horrific situation. Monster #2's actions in court would make his job even more sickening.

The thing that gets me about the kids is that nobody questioned the number. I don't mean that there were 12/13. But the Elvis impersonator spoke only about how well behaved they were and all of that. When you look at the kids, they are obviously all siblings based on appearance. But there are 8 or so of them that appear to be within 2-3 years of age. Shouldn't that have made people question when the parents are of normal stature? Yes, multiples are a possibility even though that's still a large number of kids in what would seem to be too close an age range. But how was that not raising warning flags? Although "Elvis" probably couldn't say anything for risk of losing his job and the Disney trips (however frequent they were - or weren't) wouldn't have been a situation for people to say anything. These poor kids. 

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:marker:  Look guys, I might send a fun musical card, but here is a reality check for everyone:

I too was hospitalized at 17, after a horrible, traumatic accident. It was publicized, but only locally. Even then, I got sooo much mail, from strangers. NEVER OPENED IT. It was too overwhelming. It was surreal enough staying in the hospital, dealing with Doctor after Doctor, therapy. Letters were put aside in a box, never to be seen.

Cards and letters from friends were overwhelming enough, many I didn't even read - I got soo many cards saying, "GOD HAS A SPECIAL PLAN FOR YOU!" Sooo offensive, especially considering the sad, shocking details of the accident - I was a child!

Years later, I opened this box of letters. Some were from classrooms full of children - those were cute. OTHERS WERE FROM PRISONERS!! Lol. Interesting, indeed. Strangers stopped by my house, after my 4-month hospital stay, even. It was creepy.

But its going to be surreal enough just staying in the hospital, and I do not think they will begin to understand what has happened - as well as the empathy others have for them - until many years to come. But I bet they feel safe, at least. So safe.

Anyway, surely they'll keep stranger's letters away from them. Hard to say if even children's greeting-cards will get through the filter - the majority will be put in a box, not to be seen until years later.

Does anyone know, because I’m not familiar with what happens in the US. If some of the adult children are unable to live independently (due to mental disabilities or damage due to neglect) and they don’t end up living wit( relatives, what will happen to them? Is the such a thing as foster families for disabled adults? Or will they end up in some kind of group home? Here in the U.K. young adults with learning disabilities do some times end up living in old person’s homes, along with elderly people with dementia etc.

4 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Anyone else feel bad for the public defenders? They have to do their job but it would be hard for anyone to try to defend this horrific situation. Monster #2's actions in court would make his job even more sickening.

The thing that gets me about the kids is that nobody questioned the number. I don't mean that there were 12/13. But the Elvis impersonator spoke only about how well behaved they were and all of that. When you look at the kids, they are obviously all siblings based on appearance. But there are 8 or so of them that appear to be within 2-3 years of age. Shouldn't that have made people question when the parents are of normal stature? Yes, multiples are a possibility even though that's still a large number of kids in what would seem to be too close an age range. But how was that not raising warning flags? Although "Elvis" probably couldn't say anything for risk of losing his job and the Disney trips (however frequent they were - or weren't) wouldn't have been a situation for people to say anything. These poor kids. 

Such a family may have adopted, may have had several sets of multiples, or may have custody of family members’ children. I wouldn’t think of that as a red flag on its own, to be honest, unless I had seen something else that caused me concern.

3 minutes ago, DisgustedofHove said:

Does anyone know, because I’m not familiar with what happens in the US. If some of the adult children are unable to live independently (due to mental disabilities or damage due to neglect) and they don’t end up living wit( relatives, what will happen to them? Is the such a thing as foster families for disabled adults? Or will they end up in some kind of group home? Here in the U.K. young adults with learning disabilities do some times end up living in old person’s homes, along with elderly people with dementia etc.

Group homes take adults, and depending on the level of psychological damage, they could end up in a treatment facility for a while at least.  I don't think it's wise in this situation to send the kids to relatives, but they're likely going to have to be split up at some point and that could be hard on them. :( 

9 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

They are now asking for mostly cash donations but here is the Basic Needs List:

Reveal hidden contents

For Infectious Control, please only NEW items.
Needs:
Camisoles (xsmall)
Pajamas
Sweatpants/sweatshirts
Tops/preferably long sleeve 
        (crew neck for both male and female, No V-neck)
Lightweight Jackets
Underwear (conservative panties/male briefs)
Socks
Shoes
Jeans
Hygiene Products
Feminine Products

Other Items Needed:
Crafts (Jewelry kits, Weaving Kits, etc)
Play-Do
Legos
Journal (preferably hard-bound)
Notebooks, for doodling (fun, pretty, glittery)
Crayons (primary colors)
Books dealing with emotions and feelings

• I found noteworthy they're requesting "books dealing with emotions and feelings". I will pick a positive one aimed for kids.
  • I, myself, am going to be sending letters of love to the kids. In addition, I'll be creating care packages for the Turpin Kids along with local foster kids through CPS where I live and will head over to the Dollar Tree to pick up: crayons, colored pencils, coloring books and/or doodle art pad, picture children's book and a positive adventure book for the older ones.

IF you want to send the kids a letter  FJ member Sideways inquired and found out the Corona Chamber of Commerce, which is coordinating the donations for the children, advised today that the public is welcome to send letters to the 7 adult children and to write a cover note to Linda Pearson explaining letters are for the adult children and was Sideways was advised it should be simple, elementary school level.  The address is:

• ADDRESS: Corona Regional Medical Center, 800 South Main Street, Corona, CA 92882  to the attention of:  Linda Pearson

@luv2laugh this is a great list of basic needs. I think that anyone wanting to take action would be able to use this list to buy items for their local Children's Services, too. Thank you for sharing! In fact, I think this should be pinned to the top along with general advice for FJ-ers to help these kids or their local kids--along with encouragement for self-care, too.

These are great items to be donated to domestic violence shelters, children's services, churches with toiletry/toy ministries, even child psychologists or child mental health clinics! Military folks can donate to their Family Advocacy Programs and MWR programs. Both of those military places would love to augment their collections of toys and personal items to hand out to junior enlisted families who need the boost.

Why not letters? Even if the adult survivors don't read all the letters, you can help show them they are supported by contributing to the giant stacks that will demonstrate a visual communication of love, support, hope, and community.

Finally--most importantly--we have to take care of ourselves, too. Taking action is a great way to neutralize triggers. (Yay, @luv2laugh!)  But if this story is keeping you from sleeping, taking care of your home, or avoiding work, then please take a break. And if this story is bringing up scary memories, don't hesitate to reach out to these helplines: RAINN, Child Abuse Helpline,  Substance Abuse Helpline, Love In Respect domestic violence helpline, and Suicide Prevention Lifeline. ok, off my soapbox...

@DisgustedofHove I've read somewhere that in this case child protective services has applied to take custody of the adults as well as the children (with the proviso that the adults it takes are deemed to be unable to look after themselves).   That to me is the best thing for the adults, as I can't imagine the adults to be more able or have better life skills and maturity than the teens (it was a minor who did the escape and saved the adults as well as the little ones).  By the sound of it the adults are developmentally akin to severely abused children and thus child services will be far better able to look after them then adult services.

30 minutes ago, Local Gorilla said:

:marker:  Look guys, I might send a fun musical card, but here is a reality check for everyone:

I too was hospitalized at 17, after a horrible, traumatic accident. It was publicized, but only locally. Even then, I got sooo much mail, from strangers. NEVER OPENED IT. It was too overwhelming. It was surreal enough staying in the hospital, dealing with Doctor after Doctor, therapy. Letters were put aside in a box, never to be seen.

[snip]

@Local Gorilla, thank you for sharing your personal and traumatic experience to shed light on what it's like to be on the receiving end in such a situation. You described it as "overwhelming", and that's coming from someone who, unlike the Turpin victims, is part of mainstream society.

I hope that since the accident, you've been able to heal and move forward. Hugs to you.

Some news reports indicated that some of the kids were in such bad shape that it was feared they could go into shock and die as they were being give IV nutrients and hydration.  I have to wonder if any children DID die and it was never reported. 

I saw one reference to the fact that the parents were hoarders.  Several years ago I posted some information on parallels between animal hoarders and child hoarders.  Many animal hoarders retain animals in absolutely horrible conditions, but somehow think they are doing the right thing for the animals. 

I can't right now, but later today I'll try to find those links. 

Hi all - I'm late to this topic since I had to register first, but when the first thread was relatively new, I took a look at the david.louiseturpin Facebook page and scrolled through all the pages they had "Liked." Some things stood out to me:

1) A vast amount of likes for food brands, pet supply companies, and grocery items, and one like for a couponing page - seems like there may have been pets in the household, and they were either into couponing for groceries, or wanted to be.

2) One like for Vision Forum (no one here mentioned it and I thought it was salient!)

3) A couple of "likes" for Elvis wedding temple places...it occurred to me that they were Pentecostal and Elvis was also raised Pentecostal, so maybe that's partly why they were Elvis fans.

4) A couple of likes for blogs of large families.

5) One like for an apparently Christian motivational speaker/marketer (not sure if it was the sister or someone else.)

Anyway, I just wanted to list it all, since I know the Facebook page was inaccessible for a while and some of these things seemed relevant.

This story is so shocking. Those poor kids.

7 minutes ago, Nollybear said:

2) One like for Vision Forum (no one here mentioned it and I thought it was salient!)

I knew it. I knew it. I knew it.

11 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

This makes me think of "Genie." Why keep having children? 

That is exactly what I thought about when I heard more about this case. That was so tragic. 

1 hour ago, Nollybear said:

I wonder if I missed that. I went through every one of their likes on that page (there were a lot of food and coupon related ones). Why would Pentecostals like VF? They are two fairly divergent Christian belief sets. 

@Local Gorilla, thank you for your input. We are naturally moved to want to do SOMETHING in the face of such horror—we just need to figure out what would be the most practical thing to do. 

In the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre, someone started a movement to send paper snowflakes to decorate the school. The school administration had to beg people to stop sending them—there were thousands of boxes and nowhere to put them.

4 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Why would Pentecostals like VF? They are two fairly divergent Christian belief sets. 

I think it’s a class thing. VF put a white, upper-middle-class veneer on Christian extremism, making it look attractive and palatable to a larger audience.

Another idea for donations to local childrens charities......knitted/crocheted/sewn child sized blankets. 

When I get overwhelmed with yarn and fabric, I start making blankets for the sex assault center. It is the place that children are taken to be interviewed and examined when claims of abuse are made. I donate blankets to them and each child that is brought in for whatever reason is given a blanket that they get to keep and take with them to a shelter/foster home. 

I make them in bright colors, cheerful patterns. I make blankets appropriate for babies, toddlers, little kids and teens. The director is always grateful. 

I also donate infant blankets to the local Pregnancy Center so when new moms come in for help, they get a handmade baby blanket. 

35 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I wonder if I missed that. I went through every one of their likes on that page (there were a lot of food and coupon related ones). Why would Pentecostals like VF? They are two fairly divergent Christian belief sets. 

They might have just liked some of the VF products or something.

My family is Pentecostal too and doesn't share the same theology as VF, but we used to get the VF magazine because of the homeschooling stuff.

If the adults are unable to live by themselves they may be placed in an assisted living facility. Unfortunately some of those facilities are not great places to live. They will not be sent to the large corporate run facilities where the conditions are almost resort style. Instead they will be sent to smaller facilities that may even be run out of someone’s home. Conditions in these facilities aren’t great and some are awful. This is from my experience inspecting assisted living facilities for the state so it may be different in California. 

They may very well end up meeting Genie. I looked her up last night and she is living in a nursing home in/around LA. I hope the Turpin kids escape some of what she went through after her rescue; apparently she endured further abuse in some of the foster homes and institutions she lived in after the research money dried up and she no longer lived with the doctor's family. 

I'm really on edge with this. I feel bad talking about myself when these kids have gone through literal hell.  I'm just so disturbed.  I barely slept,  when I did, I had nightmares and I rarely have those.  I'm so anxious it hurts.  I've cried.  How could they? For all that time.  It's terrifying. 

ETA: I saw the pic with 3 revealed faces. While covered, my mind put children's faces on them. But, those were very adult faces. And I cracked.

I just read through thread 1 on this case and I've watched the news reports. I hope this case leads to state government systems taking a closer look at homeschooling families. Not every homeschooling family is bad or evil and many do good jobs homeschooling. However, homeschooling can be used to cover up abuse and this case is an example. Another similar example is in the Adrian Jones case in Kansas. Adrian was starved,tortured, and beaten by his father and stepmother and they had several other kids in the home. He died as result of the abuse. His father registered to home school his kids in both Missouri and Kansas. The family moved between those states a few times. I recall reading that Kansas has very lax homeschooling rules.  In the Adrian Jones case, after the parents were arrested their rental home was discovered in horrible condition. The more info that comes out about the Turpins, I immediately think back to Adrian.

11 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

They may very well end up meeting Genie. I looked her up last night and she is living in a nursing home in/around LA. I hope the Turpin kids escape some of what she went through after her rescue; apparently she endured further abuse in some of the foster homes and institutions she lived in after the research money dried up and she no longer lived with the doctor's family. 

I look her up every so often to see how she is. That case just turned my stomach like this one. 

4 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Not to go off topic, but who is this Genie that some of you are mentioning?

She is a victim of extreme child abuse, more extreme than even the Turpins. I do not recommend reading about her to anyone that is having a strong reaction to the current events. Google "Genie feral child" for more information. There's a documentary about her in the first few years after her rescue. 

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Why would Pentecostals like VF? They are two fairly divergent Christian belief sets. 

Quiverfull + beautiful white folks homeschooling their kids with expensive shit

18 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

She is a victim of extreme child abuse, more extreme than even the Turpins. I do not recommend reading about her to anyone that is having a strong reaction to the current events. Google "Genie feral child" for more information. There's a documentary about her in the first few years after her rescue. 

I think in this case, there was maybe just enough exposure to the outside world (Disney/ Elvis) that might make it easier for the older ones. They also were able to interact with each other. Genie didn't even have that. 

I saw the wonderful list Luv2Laugh posted, and I thought I would make a small list for what "Hygiene Products" can include-- since I know from personal experience that I tend to overlook a lot of hygienic products that might be useful. (I usually only remember deodorant and toothpaste, I'm so accustomed to just *having* the other stuff that I just overlook it, unfortunately).  Not necessarily directed to the Turpin Thirteen, other people who are in dire situations can also benefit from these products!

Spoiler

--Deodorant/body powder

-- Shampoo/conditioner

--Hand soap/body wash

--Loofahs/wash cloths

--Baby wipes/hand wipes

--Toothpaste, floss, mouthwash.

--Chapstick/lip balm

--Combs/hairbrushes

--Tissues/toilet Paper

--Lotion/moisturizer

--Hand sanitizer

--Nail clippers/nail files

--Shaving cream + disposable razors

--Sunscreen

--Adult diapers/bladder leak pads

Another list of feminine hygiene products.

Spoiler

--Pads/tampons (variety of sizes)

--Panty liners

--Protective panties

--Wet wipes

--Medication for vaginal irritation/infection (Vagisil/Azo Yeast/Monistat/etc)

I'm sure there is much, much more that I'm forgetting! Thanks again to Luv2Laugh for the basic needs list! The compassion within this community is outstanding. 

*Ps may be back with a list of inexpensive toy ideas for varying ages. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived