IGNORED

Turpins - 13 shackled kids

Sideways

This breaking news. Horrible.  12 children chained by their parents and malnourished.  One escaped and called for help.  Parents in custody now and kids taken by CPS; article does not give details about disposition of the adult children who were also shackled in the home.

http://ktla.com/2018/01/15/kids-found-chained-to-beds-after-teens-escape-leads-to-discovery-of-12-malnourished-victims-held-captive-in-perris-home-sheriffs-dept/

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/15/us/california-13-people-held-captive-in-home/index.html

This is a weird, disturbing story. A 17-year-old girl who "appeared to be only 10 years old and slightly emaciated" according to the Sheriff's Department escaped from her home and called 911, saying that she and her 12 brothers and sisters, ages 2-29, had been held in captivity by their parents.

Sheriff's deputies responded to the home and found the 12 other victims, who "appeared malnourished and very dirty," authorities said. All of them looked like children, police said, and officers were surprised to learn that seven of them were adults. Several were shackled to their beds "in dark and foul-smelling surroundings," the Sheriff's Department said.

Edit: The Daily Mail has a bunch of pictures of the family.

482C894E00000578-5272703-Two_parents_hav

482C99C900000578-5272703-Police_original

I just came here to see if anyone was talking about this. My friend in Mexico sent me the link, and also the Facebook link, which I tried to include, but maybe it already disappeared? This is the name: davidlouise.turpin. It showed the top picture, and also some dancing, and a photo of the couple.

https://www.google.com/amp/abc7.com/amp/13-kept-shackled-in-foul-perris-home-by-parents-officials-say/2948420/

I’ve never started a topic before, forgive me if I am doing it wrong.

Does anybody know anything about this family? One girl escaped and led authorities back to the home where 12 kids (2-29 years old) were shackled.

All my “fundie” bells are ringing. There is hardly any info on them but: 13 kids, all the girls have long hair, my guess is that they homeschooled if nobody noticed their conditions, there is God stuff on their Facebook, I followed a few of their Facebook friend links and found lots more God stuff and pro-Trump stuff, controlling your adult children, did I mention 13 kids? Oh and it looks like they did a vow renewal a la Jill Rodrigues complete with matching children and no audience.

They have some pictures on their Facebook - like them at Disneyland - that seem normal. And a picture of all the kids with “thing 1” through “thing 12” on their shirts like Zsu has been known to do.

I am so curious about them. And horrified, obviously. But how does that kind of thing happen?

It does look that way, with the matching outfits and hair and, uh, general culty creepiness.

In the other pictures I saw, the kids seem to be going along having a good time, especially this odd wedding series with a lounge singer in a gold lamé jacket...

Also, there is a 2015 photo with a lot of cleavage. My wild guess is the dad went fully around the bend and mom had to go along.

I'm sure the kids were being abused even back when the pictures were taken, though. I definitely wouldn't have guessed from that wedding picture that multiple kids were in their 20's.

Oh my cow.

The dad looks like Michael Showalter's character Coop in Wet Hot American Summer!

Have a couple posts disappeared, including one I made, or am I just nuts?

Anyway, 9 million dollars bail each, some truly horrid evidence must have been found.

The fact that all their hair is exactly alike is really weird. Even the Duggars and Bateses who loved to dress alike allowed their children to style their hair differently (although they had parameters). The males look straight out of the 70s. Like they might be an Osmond Brothers cover band. 

3 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Have a couple posts disappeared, including one I made, or am I just nuts?

Anyway, 9 million dollars bail each, some truly horrid evidence must have been found.

I don't think any posts disappeared, there were just several topics on this story started at almost the exact same time, and they were merged.

Just now, Rachel333 said:

I don't think any posts disappeared, there were just several topics on this story started at almost the exact same time, and they were merged.

I see! After I refreshed three or four times, they appeared, though in an odd order.

Do you wonder how many more situations like this there are? Surely it's a bit like cockroaches; I've never seen one inside a house, but they say if you have them, there are nine more for each one you see.

We had a similar case about 12 years ago in my town. The 16 year old escaped. The cops thought she was 6. Her brother was 12 and was wearing size 3 clothes. Glad to report, they're healthy and the abusers are still in prison.

https://www.pe.com/2018/01/15/13-malnourished-children-people-found-chained-to-beds-in-perris-parents-jailed/

Andrew Santillan, who lives around the corner for the Tuprins, heard about the alleged incidents after his friend told him.

“I had no idea this was going on,” he said as he stood in a nearby driveway and watched the scene. “I didn’t know there were kids in the house.”

This is the most telling quote in all the articles I've read. I live on 5 acres with several other neighbors that each have 5 or more acre plots. I can tell you right this moment; all my neighbors know we have kids, they know we have "a lot" of kids. I know my neighbors have kids and livestock because kids and livestock make their presence known. These people lived on a culdesac in the city, there is no way the neighbors wouldn't be aware of their large family if everything was OK in that household.

2 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I see! After I refreshed three or four times, they appeared, though in an odd order.

Do you wonder how many more situations like this there are? Surely it's a bit like cockroaches; I've never seen one inside a house, but they say if you have them, there are nine more for each one you see.

I just submitted a post that appears to have been eaten. I just said that I found their facebook page, it is still up. And that I believe they are fundies based solely on the fact that they appear to have had at least two vow renewals and dress their kids in matching outfits. 

I said this in my missing post, but from a cursory look at their facebook, it looks like they renewed their vows in Las Vegas at an Elvis impersonator chapel in 2011. I guess they loved it so much that they went back in 2016 with all the kids in matching outfits. 

In response to the cockroaches metaphor: I 100% agree. I've thought this often while reading the Poopistan threads. The only ones we know about are the ones that broadcast their sick lifestyles on TV and the internet. There are so many more that we will never hear about. It is so sad. 

Here's a post Louise's sister made on facebook last month:

This Christmas the fact is you may be sad, emotional, scared, heart broken, hurt, lost, disappointed, stressed, confused and or broken. See I've been in all these situations. I'm here to tell you that I am overcomer! I have overcome abuse, molestation, multiple loss, lost both my parents three months apart, lost a child, a rough childhood, no food at times, and I could go on and on. I'm here to tell you that your past does not define your future! Do not let what your going through stop you from doing your calling! Use what you have gone through for his glory. See, you don't have no victory without a battle, no testimony without a test and no miracle without an impossible circumstance. I tell people all the time to not feel sorry for me because of what I've gone through because it's made me who I am! The more I go through the closer I get to the Lord. What you need to understand is there is fact and there is truth. The fact is whatever you're going through but the truth is what the Word of God says. Example: The fact is my husband is a very sick man but the truth is Isaiah 53:5 But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.

What are you going to believe? Fact or Truth? I choose to believe truth! I stand on the Word of God! Speak to your situation out loud! Speak the Word of God over it! Tell that devil to go in the Name of Jesus!

So the fact is you may be sad, emotional, scared, heart broken, hurt, lost, disappointed, stressed, confused and or broken but the truth is......

Psalm 34:17-20 ASV

The righteous cried, and Jehovah heard, And delivered them out of all their troubles. Jehovah is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart, And saveth such as are of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But Jehovah delivereth him out of them all. He keepeth all his bones: Not one of them is broken.

Joshua 1:9 ASV

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not affrighted, neither be thou dismayed: for Jehovah thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Philippians 4:7 ASV

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 12:9 ASV

And he hath said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Philippians 4:13 ASV

I can do all things in him that strengtheneth me.

Isaiah 55:8-9 ASV

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith Jehovah. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Jeremiah 29:11 ASV

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you hope in your latter end.

John 14:27 ASV

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful.

1 Corinthians 14:33 ASV

for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints,

Isaiah 41:10 ASV

Fear thou not, for I am with thee; be not dismayed, for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Matthew 11:28-30 ASV

Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Matthew 6:25-27 ASV

Therefore I say unto you, be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment? Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto the measure of his life?

Matthew 6:34 ASV

Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

34 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The fact that all their hair is exactly alike is really weird. Even the Duggars and Bateses who loved to dress alike allowed their children to style their hair differently (although they had parameters). The males look straight out of the 70s. Like they might be an Osmond Brothers cover band. 

2 of our sons have mohawks, and 1 has a sort of Justin Bieber-esqe cut (he likes to have his hair in his face). I'm a hairdresser, so once the kids are old enough to have a strong opinion on haircut, I let them choose. Before that I just do whatever I want. I think most of these fundie types are big fans of the flowbee or something. Most do home haircuts, and it shows. If I didn't have the time/inclination, I'd take our kids to the salon for a good haircut. 

Flowbee-rick-1.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/davidlouise.turpin

Here's their joint Facebook account. What a crazy story. 

Also, I read that the father had applied for a license to operate a private school on the same street (which makes me think homeschooling?)

The only remotely religious thing I can find on Facebook is her liking "A Proverbs Wife" page.

13 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

https://www.facebook.com/davidlouise.turpin

Here's their joint Facebook account. What a crazy story. 

Also, I read that the father had applied for a license to operate a private school on the same street (which makes me think homeschooling?)

In some states that is how your homeschool your kids; you have to self-register as a private school and "enroll" your kids into that school. It sounds like a form of fundie insanity, but I've known atheist radical unschoolers that have done it too. Sometimes homeschooling co-ops will band together and establish a "private school" too. In my state you just have to have submit a "declaration of intent" each year, and establish that you know what the heck you are doing. Once my kids are of a certain age, I have to register them individually on the form by name/age/grade.

The fact that they *didn't* have a private school earlier means one of the following; previously they were homeschooling illegally, previously they were legally homeschooling in another manner, or they only recently started to homeschool. Registration is a very good thing, I don't think notifying the school district that you are homeschooling is cumbersome. As this story unfolds, it will be interesting to see why they registered as a homeschool so recently. I have to wonder if they previously caught the attention of child services and were forced to homeschool legally via private school registration.

http://www.californiahomeschool.net/how-to-homeschool/legal-options/

In California there are 4 ways to homeschool:

Establishing your own home-based private school,

Enrolling in a private school that offers independent study (PSP)

Using a public school independent study program (ISP) or charter school that caters to homeschoolers, or

If you have a credential, using the tutorial option.

40 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm sure the kids were being abused even back when the pictures were taken, though. I definitely wouldn't have guessed from that wedding picture that multiple kids were in their 20's.

Yeah, I'm desperately trying to figure out which of those kids is actually 27/28 in those vow renewal photos. Food restrictions would stunt growth, but not facial aging. 

And who on earth would put twenty-something women in those bow sashed dresses? Even the Maxwells don't infantilize their kids like that. 

19 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

I just submitted a post that appears to have been eaten. I just said that I found their facebook page, it is still up. And that I believe they are fundies based solely on the fact that they appear to have had at least two vow renewals and dress their kids in matching outfits. 

I said this in my missing post, but from a cursory look at their facebook, it looks like they renewed their vows in Las Vegas at an Elvis impersonator chapel in 2011. I guess they loved it so much that they went back in 2016 with all the kids in matching outfits. 

I noticed the double vow renewal, too. 

in the disney land and vow renewal pics - these kids make the rods look well fed. :(

• dawbs locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived