IGNORED

Joy and Austin 18: 234 Days Since the Wedding and Counting

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Well it had a full sized bed in it so I assumed they would be using it as an actual guest room- who else would be sleeping in it? 

Well it is a bedroom, maybe it would be better to put a kitchen table in there then you could call it a guest kitchen or perhaps the lawnmower, the options are endless.  

4 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

True. I have a living room and a den. Some people will call my den a family room. To me, a family room has to be big enough to fit a pool table. Otherwise, it's just a den. I'm the only person I know with this hang up.

I have about ten more of these peculiarities. 

you may be my compadre.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

My house has really high ceilings, making the entire first floor cold and drafty. If my family didn't wear our shoes inside, our feet would be frozen. I'm sitting in bed right now wearing socks, and my feet are still cold. 

But if you walked with those socks where you previously walked with your outside shoes the poo you stepped in is now in your bed. :my_confused:

If the floors are cold here people get rugs, slippers, thicker socks or inside shoes. I don’t because I hate having warm feet. Actually our whole family is just leaving socks everywhere once we get too warm. My husband has a super weird habbit of taking his socks half off so his heels are bare but his toes covered. It might be part of his transition from Aussie to Swede. :my_biggrin:

My inlaws house in Australia has much colder floors then any house I’ve ever been to in Sweden. I have slippers there. Partly for the cold and partly because everyone wears their shoes inside (and you know, poo). I take of my shoes at the door (where there is no room for them) and carry them to our room. Several rooms in their house has carpet! Even though they walk on it with shoes I just can’t bring myself to do it. The ”no shoes inside” is just too strong in me. I hear it in my mothers voice.

Shoe rant over. Socks off. 

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

But if you walked with those socks where you previously walked with your outside shoes the poo you stepped in is now in your bed.

Lol how much poop are you stepping in? I've only stepped in poop once (as far as I know) and those shoes went straight to the washing machine

3 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Lol how much poop are you stepping in? I've only stepped in poop once (as far as I know) and those shes went straight to the washing machine

I don’t think I ever stepped in poo that I know about. But I’ve stepped around poo, pee, vomit, used condoms, spilled food of unknown origin, cigarette buts, chewed gum, oil spills, dead animals and just general gunk on the road many, many times. The next time I walk there and whatever I stepped around last time is gone I just assume there wasn’t a friendly cleaner that disinfected the whole area there and cleaned it up. People are discusting and the outside is essentially a huge animal toilet. 

It sounds like I’m some sort of germofob but I’m really not. My house is a mess, I’m not particularly cleanly, I don’t shower every day and I will easily eat stuff I drop on my floor if it’s something I like, and it hasn’t been down for long (5 second rule!). But only because I know no one stepped there with their outside shoes. 

I love hearing about everyone's living situations and how things are different!

I live in an apartment in NYC.  My front door opens into a hallway, and that's the case with pretty much every apartment I've been to here. The hallways are usually open (they don't have doors at the other end) and open into the living room, although sometimes the hallway just keeps going and becomes the main hallway of the apartment.  

We take off our shoes and put them in the shoe rack by the door, or leave them on a doormat if they're wet.  We have a coat rack on the wall to hang our coats.  I also dislike open concept -- I live in a small 2-bedroom with a roommate and having a separate kitchen and living room means that I have one more room I get to be in when I want a change of scenery or want to be alone.  Our kitchen used to have a door, and I wish it still did, but they had to get rid of the door when they put in a fridge, since now there's no space for a door to open.  

I've never lived anywhere with a guest room -- it seems like an amazing luxury to me, as does having laundry in your house/apartment. Even having a separate room to put a small child in is not something many people here could afford, myself included. (And I'm not poor -- I travel to Europe regularly, I get regular massages and facials, I have a retirement plan and no debt -- space is just that expensive.) If I had an extra room it would be an office, hands down. A second extra room and I might consider a dining room.  So many things before a guest bedroom. No, wait, if I really had an extra room I would make it a bedroom and rent it out and pocket the extra grand a month. 

Right now most guests sleep in the living room on our pullout couch, which I consider myself lucky to have.  If there are lots of guests we get the air mattresses out and double up in the bedrooms, and in a pinch we can put an extra person on a camping mattress in the hallway and a child on the love seat in the living room.  (This happened during hurricane Sandy, since I'm in a high area and I had friends who evacuated flood zones.)

16 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Anyway, back to Joy. She sounds so over it in the video which made me a bit sad. She didn't sound excited or proud at all to show off her new home (and owning a house in your early twenties is such a huge accomplishment, imo). It gave me the impression she just filmed it for the leghumpers/TLC/those snarking on the windows.

The thing that stood out to me about this video was when she showed her 'still very pregnant' reflection in the mirror. It felt like she was subtly addressing the tabloids/premarital sex conspiracy theorists by proving she hasn't secretly given birth.

Re: Duggar guest rooms. I imagine they only exist as such until there are children of both sexes who are past the infancy/crib sleeping stage. They would definitely want gendered bedrooms at this point.

My first thought when I saw all the open space and wood floors in the main area was that it would be a great place to install a dance pole, especially if the ceilings are high. My dream living area would have easily movable furniture, a pole, aerial rigging, and ceilings that are at least 10 ft. It would be part living room, part home dance/movement studio.

34 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I love hearing about everyone's living situations and how things are different!

I live in an apartment in NYC.  My front door opens into a hallway, and that's the case with pretty much every apartment I've been to here. The hallways are usually open (they don't have doors at the other end) and open into the living room, although sometimes the hallway just keeps going and becomes the main hallway of the apartment.  

We take off our shoes and put them in the shoe rack by the door, or leave them on a doormat if they're wet.  We have a coat rack on the wall to hang our coats.  I also dislike open concept -- I live in a small 2-bedroom with a roommate and having a separate kitchen and living room means that I have one more room I get to be in when I want a change of scenery or want to be alone.  Our kitchen used to have a door, and I wish it still did, but they had to get rid of the door when they put in a fridge, since now there's no space for a door to open.  

I've never lived anywhere with a guest room -- it seems like an amazing luxury to me, as does having laundry in your house/apartment. Even having a separate room to put a small child in is not something many people here could afford, myself included. (And I'm not poor -- I travel to Europe regularly, I get regular massages and facials, I have a retirement plan and no debt -- space is just that expensive.) If I had an extra room it would be an office, hands down. A second extra room and I might consider a dining room.  So many things before a guest bedroom. No, wait, if I really had an extra room I would make it a bedroom and rent it out and pocket the extra grand a month. 

Right now most guests sleep in the living room on our pullout couch, which I consider myself lucky to have.  If there are lots of guests we get the air mattresses out and double up in the bedrooms, and in a pinch we can put an extra person on a camping mattress in the hallway and a child on the love seat in the living room.  (This happened during hurricane Sandy, since I'm in a high area and I had friends who evacuated flood zones.)

Mr Way and I have lived in four one room apartments. The smallest one 18 square meters. He used to take lots of baths. :my_biggrin:

After a few years of moving around we bought a one bedroom apartment in Stockholm, 55 square meters and all ours. We lived there for six years before we moved to an apartment the same size in my hometown when Miniway was 1,5. 

Then we bought our house. It’s not huge. It still comes with a fee. We share one wall with our neighbours. But we have three (3!!) bedrooms and two bathrooms. Miniway has his own room that we use to store his things while he sleeps with us and plays in the livingroom. We have a bed that can turn into a double in his room so we also use it for guests. 

The third bedroom is an office for me. I work from home and have my own room with two desks and the biggest bookshelf from Ikea! I love it! We also have parking. Our own spot that no one can steal from us. The space, the parking and the dishwasher are my three favourite features. Anyone whos circled a neighborhood in a snowstorm late at night to find parking knows what I mean.

If I had to move to NYC I could probably afford a closet in a dodgy neighborhood that’s not close to the subway though. So lucky we can live here. 

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Is it streaming anywhere? I have Netflix and Amazon, but don't get on Amazon streaming that often, but we live on Netflix so I know it isn't there.  I hope is isn't on Hulu because I can't justify paying for yet ANOTHER streaming service when I already have 2.

brand 10 new episodes on fox - so I am on my other board :D episode 3 was yesterday when Mulder and scully had SEX 

going nutty 

36 minutes ago, nst said:
4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Is it streaming anywhere? I have Netflix and Amazon, but don't get on Amazon streaming that often, but we live on Netflix so I know it isn't there.  I hope is isn't on Hulu because I can't justify paying for yet ANOTHER streaming service when I already have 2.

It is available on Amazon the next day, as my dad figured that out the first week when he thought the show was on at 9pm our time instead of 8pm our time.  He's a major fan of it, I was a baby/toddler/preschooler when the episodes were on their peak, and I never have liked it. I have memories of like two episodes and was not a fan of them at all when I was tiny :P parents have been enjoying it though.  Hopefully you can find it on Amazon! 

We are currently renting an incredibly competitively priced one-bedroom apartment in a beautiful, but horribly maintained building from the early 20th century (think art nouveau in one of the most expensive neighbourhoods of our city)

We had been looking to buy a house last year, but found out that we can only afford dilapidated places built in the 1960s that require a ton of work to make nice. Having said that, once you'd have renovated these places, they'd probably be worth twice as much... Unfortunately neither my husband nor I have any experience with renovation or building work - oh how I would love to have an Austin or one of the useful Duggar brothers at hand! :my_biggrin: - so we were hesitant to buy.

Then I found out that I was pregnant, and suddenly our current living situation started to absolutely horrify me and I could not wait to get out.

We are now going to move to a 2-bedroom apartment with our own basement and garage in a modern construction. The kitchen/living room is open-plan, but there is a laundry room and a hallway where we can leave our coats and shoes. It's going to cost basically twice as much in rent, but it seems that's what you need to pay here.

Oh, and nobody will walk into my house wearing their street shoes! Because, as Iamtheway said, poop! :my_smile: Slippers will be offered for those who get cold feet.

The house I grew up in was a victorian in New Jersey. The garage was unattached, so we usually entered the house through the back door into the mudroom/laundry room which we think was an addition. There were hooks on the wall for jackets, and we would leave our shoes by the door. I remember when it snowed, my mom would have towels all over the floor. The front door lead into the entryway which had the stairs.  Only guests used the front door, but even then most of the people we knew came through the back door instead. There was also a room in the middle of the house where the fire place was. My dad called it the parlor? It was the most unused room in the house and we basically only went in it to get to another room or christmas because thats where the tree was.

I too don't love open concept but I understand it's benefits. My mom hates the name since, as she says, it's built, it's not a concept anymore!

The house I grew up in was in the country. Although we had a front door with a small tiled foyer and closet, we never used the front door except to bring in and take out the Christmas tree. As a kid, I would leave from the front door to catch the school bus as you could see the lights coming down the rode about a km away. We and all our friends would park closer to the back door. There was a small foyer there with a closet and the basement stairs were there, so if you came in wearing your barn clothes you'd take them downstairs. The only people who used the front door were salespeople from the city. 

We have a 3 story (basement, main floor and upstairs) 4 bedroom, 1.5 bath house. Our living room is immediately inside the front door with the kitchen sandwiched between it and the family room. Stairs and a coat/shoe closet are also near the front door. 4 bedrooms upstairs, 2 big, one medium and one small. Our "adopted" kiddo inhabits the main room of the basement, which has a separate laundry room. We have a 2 car garage and a good sized fenced yard. Downside is we live less than 100 yards from the freeway so it's sometimes noisy and we get billboard lights in our rooms upstairs. Desperately need our windows replaced but the landlord isn't real receptive to the idea.  The rent is $1300 a month which is kinda high but so worth it for the schools. Once the 2 oldest leave for college in the fall we're going to purchase something smaller. 

houses i grew up in 

fun 

let's see by the time I was five we lived in five different houses, I remember all of them...then we moved to an area that was new (lions Bay) and my parents built that house and we were there ten years - it was huge, three floors, i had my own floor, a bathroom, a barbie room and a bedroom, wood oven gas stove that heat the entire house in the kitchen, no dishwasher...we had a suite for tenants..a tiny tv in the living room to watch Dallas...we were there till 85, (great place to grow up) then we moved closer to town and I was there five years, until I moved out at 19. Then my adventure began over the next 26 years I lived in 8 different apartments...and the one i am currently in,  one bedrooms, 2 bedrooms, views, no views, owned, and rented. Owning is better.  

I think I've called 18 different places home, not including dorm rooms. I'm 28. I'm moving in a month.

:crying-yellow:

19 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I think I've called 18 different places home, not including dorm rooms. I'm 28. I'm moving in a month.

I'm so sick of moving. I feel your pain.

34 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

That's a lot of moving! 

It's always amusing to see these super young Duggar couples buying homes when my spouse and I are still far out from feeling comfortable buying. But then I remember we live in a completely different part of the country, with totally different housing options, lifestyles, and goals.:P Also, I'll probably miss being able to call building maintenance once we buy! 

42 minutes ago, December said:

That's a lot of moving! 

It's always amusing to see these super young Duggar couples buying homes when my spouse and I are still far out from feeling comfortable buying. But then I remember we live in a completely different part of the country, with totally different housing options, lifestyles, and goals.:P Also, I'll probably miss being able to call building maintenance once we buy! 

You also would have to spend probably 1.5 million to buy the house Josten did on the left coast.  It is a hell of a lot easier to buy a house for $90K than it is for $900k.

I won a washer/dryer in a raffle when I was 19 and 10 years later I'm still using them. That was the biggest deal to me for the longest time because I didn't know anyone else who owned a washer/dryer at our age.

I ended up moving to a place that had in unit laundry so I couldn't use ours, they sat in a garage for two years and when we bought a house we plugged them in and they still work. :pb_lol: 

Grew up in a pre-1900 farmhouse that was added on to so many times that it had no defined style. Technically it was a 4 bed, 3 bath, but one of the bedrooms used to be a living room and my parents put a wall down the middle of it to make it the 4th/5th bedroom. My brother and I lived on the 2nd floor and shared a bathroom. My parents still live there. I moved from there into the dorms, shared an apartment with a roommate, moved in with my boyfriend (who I eventually married)- lived in a flophouse with 7 other people at first, eventually moved into an attic conversion that was a 4th floor walk-up, and then into a street level 1.5 bedroom apartment, then moved across the country to a real two bedroom, bought our first house- 3 beds, 2.5 baths, then finally our current house- 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths in the main house, 1 bed, den and full bath in the guest house. Phoenix metro is so much cheaper than Boston metro and that's the only reason why our house is so big.

I'm 29 and I've moved 13 times. I've been in my current apartment for coming up on 3 years, which is a record for the past 10 years or so. I'm not moving again unless they force me out at gunpoint. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived