IGNORED

Joy and Austin 18: 234 Days Since the Wedding and Counting

Coconut Flan

14 hours ago, Jeanny_525 said:

They have a nice house. Looks comfy.

i have been on an x-files bend so haven't been around but did see Joy's video

all i can say is that the 19 year old has her own washer and dryer in her house...um bucket list for me.

but the floors were really nice...and she looked like Jill pregnant....but the nursery would drive me nuts but then i remembered Jana can come over with a camera crew and fix it. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in the US and I hate houses that open directly to the living room, the house I just sold had a mud room off the garage and the front door opened to a foyer with a coat closet. 

Houses vary so much here in the US, everything is open concept these days which i HATE, its making my house hunt a little difficult. 

Their house is a perfect starter home, I am impressed with the work Austin and Joy did.  It looked like th curtain rods are hung into the frame, cringe, but she’ll figure out what she loves and hates eventually. 

Our house is only three years old. The front door opens to a foyer of sorts - but the people who built it - didn't put in a coat closet!

We mostly enter through the garage and there is a closet there - but that little space with the closet also houses the washer and dryer and it is entirely too much stuff for a room that is essentially a hallway with a closet on one side and washer & dryer on the other.

And there is ROOM for a closet in our entry - not sure why they didn't build one in. (We're planning on just doing a row of hooks because we don't use the door much.)

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

I believe there was a porch, if it was a muddy or rainy day they'd probably just leave their shoes outside. Many houses have a mud room but not all, or even just a small space when you enter the house for shoes and coats. I grew up in New England where most people enter houses through back or side doors into a mud room, front doors are for show.

Also New England. How we enter various family homes:

- At my grandparents’ house we enter through the garage and leave our shoes in the little entryway there.

- At my in-law’s (relocated New Yorkers), we usually enter through the garage and leave our shoes in the basement before heading up.

- At my parents’ house we enter through the front door and sometimes remove our shoes (usually if it’s snowy or rainy out) - front door is the easiest access point at their place. 

- At my sister’s house we usually enter through the kitchen door and leave our shoes on.

- At my BIL’s apartment, we enter through the front door and usually leave our shoes by the closest right by the front door. 

- Husband and I live in a condo. The garage and utility/laundry room are under the main level and the garage has a door to a flight of stairs that leads past the front door to the main living space. Pretty much everyone enters the house through our front door. If we have a ton of people over they’ll either leave their shoes upstairs somewhere (the front door landing is too small for a bunch of shoes) or they just keep their shoes on. 

As for Nursery setup -

We had the big furniture items and other stuff (washed clothes, diaper changing station ready, stroller setup, car seat ready to be installed, etc.) finished around 32 weeks or so. Two weeks later I gave birth very unexpectedly to a 5 pound peanut and she came home from NICU a week later. We didn’t have everything done that we wanted done, but Velocibaby also didn’t use that room much at first because she slept in our room the first six months. She’s 13 months now and we still have stuff to finish in there, mainly getting rid of/moving a bunch of stuff since that room was mainly used for storage.

If Baby Forsyth is sleeping in their parents’ room at first then I don’t see an issue with the Nursery being unfinished. Even if they decide to use the crib from the start all they really need is for the crib to be properly assembled, a safe mattress, and a fitted sheet. Other than that the baby isn’t going to be using a lot of other stuff for a while. 

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

Is a guest room a requirement for all Duggar households?

Well, JD has to have a place to sleep when his parents are traveling, you know.

We have a room where overnight guests sleep but it’s not a dedicated guest room. There is exercise equipment in it and when guests come (usually my parents) we pull the mattress out of the closet and have a collapsible metal frame. All about a five to ten minute set up. When the guests leave it goes back in the closet and we have our exercise room back. Unless you live in a larger room a guest room seems like a waste of space to me. 

We moved into our new house when I was 7 months pregnant with my first. I got her room finished about 2 weeks before she was born (on the day after her due date), but she slept in our room until she was 1 and all of her toys are in our bonus room. So basically her nursery was just a beautiful room where she had her clothes and diapers changed for the longest time.

I'm now about 2 months pregnant with my second and between working full time and chasing after a 16 month old when I'm not at said job, Baby #2 will be lucky if I get their room set up by the time they're 6 months old. Since I also plan to have the baby sleep in our room for a year again, I'm in no hurry. That being said, 7 months from now I probably will be busting my butt to get the room ready in time so #2 doesn't feel cheated. :pb_lol: (My husband and I are both second born middle children so we have little chips on our shoulder about things like that).

We currently have 2 guest rooms in our house. One is in the basement and one is on the second floor. We didn't think about it when we bought the house but that set-up works out well for having small children because our guests can sleep in the basement and we don't have to worry about them being noisy and waking up the baby. (We have some LOUD snorers in our extended family!)

Most houses in the Netherlands are terraced houses or townhouses (so the dictionary tells me): a row of houses that share side walls. When these houses have a backyard that borders on water (which is quite common here), only the houses at the corner of the row will be able to use their back entrance as an alternative main entrance, because only their backyard is accessible without having to go through the house or through someone else's backyard first. (Also, people fence their backyards here, so you cannot just pass through your neighbour's backyard to get to your own backyard). 
I do not know of any Dutch house that does not open into an entryway/hallway; even open plan houses open to a walled in hallway.

It is entirely possible that there are of course some houses that do not have an entryway, but that will be a very small minority. It’s quite expensive and complicated to design and build your own home here*, and unless you either remove the built in entryway from your home (for which you’ll need a permit from the municipality, even if you own the home), or design and build your own home without an entryway, your house will open to an entryway.

*First, you need permits here for everything. If you want to build an addition to your house, permit, if you want to paint the window and door frames on the outside of the house, permit, and you need to get the rest of your block to agree. There’s a rule that dictates that all houses need to fit within the overall “image” of the street, which means that, for instance, the color of your window frames needs to match your neighbors’, you cannot build an addition on your house that will make your house taller than the other houses on your block, and you cannot build an addition to your house that will alter the shape of your house significantly compared to the other houses on your block.

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

Is a guest room a requirement for all Duggar households? I live in a 3 bedroom ranch that is maybe a little bigger than J&A's house (just me and hubby with a baby on the way) and I wouldn't want to dedicate a whole room just to an occasional guest.  How often do they really have people coming and staying over anyway- I thought they were within a reasonable driving distance to both families? 

I love the kitchen cabinets. I don't care for the little dining room setup- why are the two chairs at the table on the same side and facing the wall? I know I don't want to stare directly at a wall while eating- why not having them on opposite ends so they could actually look at each other? 

"Guest room" is just a name instead of bedroom #1 and bedroom #2. We never say the Master bedroom, it's called our bedroom and the other 3 are called the bedrooms upstairs. Being that these girls were raised "Duggars" any extra bedroom would be a guest room, yes? All families have names for things that the people next door to them call it something else. We call the den our living room, no big deal. Really not sure at this point that they could say anything correct.

As someone who's a few years older than Joy, and currently looking for apartments in a major city to live in sin with her boyfriend... I'm really salty about Joy's nice house. I want a nice house with laundry machines and a guest bedroom. She's so lucky, in that respect. I mean, I'm lucky because I can make my own choices and am not treated like a child because of my sex. But after all the broom closets I've looked at, that house is practically a mansion. Humph.

12 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

Agreed! They work great. though I know I need to stay off of dairy, as it's always (like others have said) sort of bothered me, but its been not good at all last few times I've eaten it.  I am also gluten intolerant, and have been off of it for almost 3 years now. I'm currently on the Whole30diet which more or less has been going well, though there are many things I am looking forward to having again after I am done with it! 

I'm doing it too!! Day 17 here!! Kind of sick of the extra cooking and dishes!

46 minutes ago, sansan said:

"Guest room" is just a name instead of bedroom #1 and bedroom #2. We never say the Master bedroom, it's called our bedroom and the other 3 are called the bedrooms upstairs. Being that these girls were raised "Duggars" any extra bedroom would be a guest room, yes? All families have names for things that the people next door to them call it something else. We call the den our living room, no big deal. Really not sure at this point that they could say anything correct.

Well it had a full sized bed in it so I assumed they would be using it as an actual guest room- who else would be sleeping in it? 

That nursery looked very boyish to me but I really like pink and gold so if I had a girl the nursery would've been rather girly so my opinion may be colored. I had my nursery done about a month before he was born but I was at risk to go early so I was a little more motivated. He slept in his room from day one too. I slept in the nursery for a couple months with him. I just thought it would be easier than transitioning him from our room to his. It worked out great actually for us but I could see others not liking it.

2 hours ago, sansan said:

All families have names for things that the people next door to them call it something else

True. I have a living room and a den. Some people will call my den a family room. To me, a family room has to be big enough to fit a pool table. Otherwise, it's just a den. I'm the only person I know with this hang up.

I have about ten more of these peculiarities. 

Why wouldn't you decorate the guest room?  And what else would you have it be?  We have a room thats just waiting to be used and it drives me nuts (it will be the guest room once I get pregnant with number 2 and we move the furniture from what will be the new baby's room).  Its just frustrating that its sitting there with no furniture! I don't know why it annoys me so much, but maybe Joy is the same.  So while they are waiting for blessing number 2 they might as well have a use for the room?  Also with a new baby when one parent needs to sleep and the other is getting up all the time it can be nice to have 2 options of places to sleep.

5 hours ago, itqitc said:

Houses vary so much here in the US, everything is open concept these days which i HATE, its making my house hunt a little difficult. 

Same, I don't want to be in the same room as everyone else all the time! And when I sit down on the couch to relax, I don't want to see the dirty dishes or hear kitchen noise. Luckily there are tons of older homes available in my area but new construction are all open plan.

My family had a dedicated guest room growing up, I was the only child and had the box room, then we had a room with a double bed just there... is that not normal in the US? Mum moved into it when I was about 8 because she works weird shifts and neither of my parents were sleeping - saved their marriage, I think. Even now it's basically the guest room, if my boyfriend's staying, he goes in there with me and mum takes the single so she can sleep in peace. Problem is, we can't share a bed either, so we have a room each right now. :confusion-shrug:

I like non-open plan. Grew up in a 30's British semi for anyone used to those. We have a living room then a separate large back room which acts as dining room/old playroom/pull-out bed room/computer room. Separate kitchen too, and not enough room for a breakfast bar or anything, so all meals are eaten in the dining room. My friends found it really old fashioned!

We always had a guest room too.  It was often a guest room/sewing room but still.  I also love open plans.  If I'm making dinner I don't want to be missing out on what else is happening.  Maybe I'm weird.

I know I’ve said this before in at least one other thread drift but I just don’t get why people would wear their outdoor shoes inside. I know I come from a wet, muddy country but I don’t care if it’s dry. If you walked outside odds are you stepped in somebody’s or something’s poo. 

Also, shoes are so warm and uncomfortable. Let your feet free!

15 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

I know I’ve said this before in at least one other thread drift but I just don’t get why people would wear their outdoor shoes inside. I know I come from a wet, muddy country but I don’t care if it’s dry. If you walked outside odds are you stepped in somebody’s or something’s poo. 

Also, shoes are so warm and uncomfortable. Let your feet free!

My house has really high ceilings, making the entire first floor cold and drafty. If my family didn't wear our shoes inside, our feet would be frozen. I'm sitting in bed right now wearing socks, and my feet are still cold. 

I'm one of those people who LOVES closed floor plans.  My kitchen has a door, and it is a GODSEND to be able to prepare a meal, put the dirty dishes in the sink, and then dine and socialize without having those dishes staring you down.  In open floor plans, we always have to clean up right after dinner, but at my house, we can move directly from dinner to coffee and dessert to chatting with no guilt.

ALSO it stops people from messing with my kitchen with good intentions :)  I don't like having to scavenger hunt around my kitchen for days afterwards to find where someone placed my things!

CLOSED FLOOR PLANS FOR LIFE!

(Plus, the acoustics are better!)

7 hours ago, nst said:

i have been on an x-files bend so haven't been around but did see Joy's video

Is it streaming anywhere? I have Netflix and Amazon, but don't get on Amazon streaming that often, but we live on Netflix so I know it isn't there.  I hope is isn't on Hulu because I can't justify paying for yet ANOTHER streaming service when I already have 2.

And since everyone is discussing the history of working class homes and floorplans, I would be remiss if I didn't link to some GREAT MMH articles on them!  The author really discusses HOW these floorplans and styles from the past evolved into the homes we now know...and WHY people chose to build how they did:

Transitional (Railroad Era) homes:

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/163076545466/looking-around-transitional-plans

Rowhouses:

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/164691953581/guest-post-how-to-date-a-rowhouse-other-than

Foursquares:

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/166916762911/looking-around-american-foursquares

Postwar Suburban Homes:

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/165700523081/looking-around-horizontal-space

17 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I'm one of those people who LOVES closed floor plans.  My kitchen has a door, and it is a GODSEND to be able to prepare a meal, put the dirty dishes in the sink, and then dine and socialize without having those dishes staring you down.  In open floor plans, we always have to clean up right after dinner, but at my house, we can move directly from dinner to coffee and dessert to chatting with no guilt.

ALSO it stops people from messing with my kitchen with good intentions :)  I don't like having to scavenger hunt around my kitchen for days afterwards to find where someone placed my things!

CLOSED FLOOR PLANS FOR LIFE!

(Plus, the acoustics are better!)

I wish we had a door to close to anywhere in the house but the bedrooms, bathroom and basement.  I live in a 4 level split and while it technically isn't open concept because we have a wall between the kitchen and living room, the house is all open.  I would KILL for someplace to go besides the basement or my bedroom to get away from DH and the DD

You can kind of tell by this pic, this is the kitchen, down the stairs is the family room, if you look behind the table you can see it is open, it has banister type rails down to the floor, it is like a weird window from the kitchen to the family room.

Spoiler

19748719_10155009517323736_4450785611334915613_n.jpg

7 hours ago, Marly said:

Most houses in the Netherlands are terraced houses or townhouses (so the dictionary tells me): a row of houses that share side walls. When these houses have a backyard that borders on water (which is quite common here), only the houses at the corner of the row will be able to use their back entrance as an alternative main entrance, because only their backyard is accessible without having to go through the house or through someone else's backyard first. (Also, people fence their backyards here, so you cannot just pass through your neighbour's backyard to get to your own backyard). 
I do not know of any Dutch house that does not open into an entryway/hallway; even open plan houses open to a walled in hallway.

It is entirely possible that there are of course some houses that do not have an entryway, but that will be a very small minority. It’s quite expensive and complicated to design and build your own home here*, and unless you either remove the built in entryway from your home (for which you’ll need a permit from the municipality, even if you own the home), or design and build your own home without an entryway, your house will open to an entryway.

*First, you need permits here for everything. If you want to build an addition to your house, permit, if you want to paint the window and door frames on the outside of the house, permit, and you need to get the rest of your block to agree. There’s a rule that dictates that all houses need to fit within the overall “image” of the street, which means that, for instance, the color of your window frames needs to match your neighbors’, you cannot build an addition on your house that will make your house taller than the other houses on your block, and you cannot build an addition to your house that will alter the shape of your house significantly compared to the other houses on your block.

That's not always right. Some neighbourhoods may have these demands, but in my street you can choose your own colours. Some of the houses have (ugly) additions, other don't. There are differences throughout the country, like in other country's.

I can acces my backyard very easyly, and my neighbours theirs, because we have a back entrance were I can park my car. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived