IGNORED

Joy and Austin 18: 234 Days Since the Wedding and Counting

Coconut Flan

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/01/2018 at 5:44 PM, Casserole said:

#veganbananabread ... first pants, then nose ring, and now vegan. Can't handle the hipster-ness of Jill these days. (No snark on individuals choosing to be vegan, but you can't deny that it is currently "trendy" to be vegan) 

I think some of the new Vegans are only going vegan to be sanctimonious with everyone else. I personally couldn't give up meat or dairy but want to cut my intake and I respect those who chose to be vegan but please don't belittle those are not vegan. Same goes for meat eaters who try and do the same to vegetarians and vegans. I had a college friend who was vegan, as was her husband but she still made meat for her kids and said a few other vegans were telling her that she was wrong to give her kids the choice.

I'm being a bit BEC here (crabby and uncharitable due to an unbelievable weather related headache), but the different heights of the curtain rods bugs the hell out of me. Even if the windows are a different height, hang the curtains the same height, preferably close to the ceiling and get long enough rods that the fabric can be pushed back to frame the windows. Otherwise, cute house. I would have thought that they'd be a lot further along than they are though - it does not look like a big house and they seem to have a ready supply of people who could help, but I know first hand that renos can drag on).

Also, I want to slap that stupid look of Jill's face. Does the woman not know how to smile - just smile - for the camera? I am sick to death of her pulling stupid faces and mugging for the camera when the occasion doesn't seem to call for it.

Time for a couple of T-3s.  

1 hour ago, justoneoftwo said:

I would be so stressed about everything left to do in the nursery, but thats just me.  Ours was done in December, he was due in May.

With my first I was due early January and moved in early November from New Mexico to Italy. Our household goods with the crib and etc... arrived about 3 days after she was born.  We borrowed a bassinet from a friend a few weeks before that when it became clear the crib wouldn't arrive in time (we had shipped our household goods late September). With my second we also moved about 2 months before he was born. That time we had the crib before he was born, but his room wasn't set up until about a month after he was born.  His room was the last to be unpacked and decorated. 

It took until the third baby to have an actual nursery. set up prior to birth. 

4 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

With my first I was due early January and moved in early November from New Mexico to Italy. Our household goods with the crib and etc... arrived about 3 days after she was born.  We borrowed a bassinet from a friend a few weeks before that when it became clear the crib wouldn't arrive in time (we had shipped our household goods late September). With my second we also moved about 2 months before he was born. That time we had the crib before he was born, but his room wasn't set up until about a month after he was born.  His room was the last to be unpacked and decorated. 

It took until the third baby to have an actual nursery. set up prior to birth. 

I don't know how you do things like that!  Moving internationally while pregnant?  You are a stronger women than I.

Rant incoming... do not read if you are faint of heart :)

I have to admit, all the newfound hipsters drive me mad.  Everybody looks the same, buys their stuff "vintage", is totally vegan-glucose-intolerant-lactose-intolerant-gras-only, is into this "super alternative indy band you've never heard of", all to be DEMONSTRABLY cool and show to everyone how woke and lit you are by posting #totallywoke facebook posts every second day. But it's all so superficial and obviously just to create a sense of group belonging and to have other people like you - with no actual intentionality behind it whatsoever. I can't stand the habit of just blindly following along, and then being all conceited and haughty because you think your lifestyle/fashion sense/choice of coffeeshop/opinions/politics/most recent cause makes you a better person and believing that everyone else will be enlightened by your presence. 

Rant over. :)
(To clarify: I'm not actually angry - just 4 years of frustrating interactions with fellow college students. It's not the things as such (veganism, being into fashion etc) I take issue with, but the attitude.)

Edit to get back on topic: 

I love their house! Such a nice little house for a young couple. And I'm impressed that they're renovating by themselves. I am scared of having to do that in the future. 

4 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I don't know how you do things like that!  Moving internationally while pregnant?  You are a stronger women than I.

Well, the first wasn't our choice exactly... Military life! With the second we were recently out of the military staying with my mother in law, Despite the fact that I do like my MIL it was too much to stay with her long term, so once we figured out where we wanted to be and my husband found a job we found a place to live pretty quick. Plus having a pregnant wife, a mother in menopause, a sister going through puberty and a toddler daughter proved to be too much for my husband. Poor guy. 

1 hour ago, justoneoftwo said:

I would be so stressed about everything left to do in the nursery, but thats just me.  Ours was done in December, he was due in May.

I was so proud of how far in advance we finished the nursery. Then my kid refused to even nap in it for 7 months after she was born.

Also am I the only one who heard Joy say something along the lines of "There's our room with all of our sh- stuff?" Like she was about to say the s word. That's totally something I would do on camera.

34 minutes ago, FundieCentral said:

I have to admit, all the newfound hipsters drive me mad.  Everybody looks the same, buys their stuff "vintage", is totally vegan-glucose-intolerant-lactose-intolerant-gras-only, is into this "super alternative indy band you've never heard of", all to be DEMONSTRABLY cool and show to everyone how woke and lit you are by posting #totallywoke facebook posts every second day. But it's all so superficial and obviously just to create a sense of group belonging and to have other people like you - with no actual intentionality behind it whatsoever. I can't stand the habit of just blindly following along, and then being all conceited and haughty because you think your lifestyle/fashion sense/choice of coffeeshop/opinions/politics/most recent cause makes you a better person and believing that everyone else will be enlightened by your presence. 

Rant over. :)
(To clarify: I'm not actually angry - just 4 years of frustrating interactions with fellow college students. It's not the things as such (veganism, being into fashion etc) I take issue with, but the attitude.)

Edit to get back on topic: 

I love their house! Such a nice little house for a young couple. And I'm impressed that they're renovating by themselves. I am scared of having to do that in the future. 

Yes, I'm lucky that so far that I've not encountered any of those hipsters at my uni, mine is not cool enough for them probably.  I have gave up trying to be trendy, especially since most trends don't suit me. I'm open to trying new things but I'm not going to pretend I like stuff just to be cool.

Super cute kitchen. The bathrooms look great too. The design is great, some of the decor is blah.

I can’t stand the frame that the wedding photo is in or the placement but I realize I can be a bit of a home decor snob. Sorry.

"Hipster" has become such a blanket term I swear it's used to describe everything that isn't a normal t shirt and baggy jeans anymore. 

1 hour ago, FundieCentral said:

Oh man. I didn't become lactose intolerant until my early 20s. (I'm only 24 now for context)

The amount of people who think I'm just doing this because it's a trend, or think I'll get over it if I "train my body" to accept dairy is insane!

I don't do big posts on social media or anything, but when I go out with friends and we order food I have to say "I can't have this". Then they forget and so when we go out next time I remind them again. I've tried to educate myself as best I can help them understand if they ask, but it's utterly infuriating when people treat it like it's a choice. (They're welcome to stand near the bathroom after I've had dairy!)

I do encourage my friends/family to try some lactose free alternatives because I want them to see there is very little difference. You'd be surprised how many think "lactose free" instantly means "it's not made from dairy".

Return rant over. I do apologize, but I couldn't help myself! 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm guessing she's definitely having a boy based on that split second shot of the nursery.

I think they are keeping the sex a surprise even to them. "Gender neutral" nurseries tend to look more boyish, at least when compared to the rooms that look like pepto bismol threw up everywhere. 

They may be keeping it relatively neutral because they are thinking to have a large family in quick time and want it to fit either sex without constant redecorating .

26 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

They may be keeping it relatively neutral because they are thinking to have a large family in quick time and want it to fit either sex without constant redecorating .

That would be way too sane and logical! ;) 

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

Oh man. I didn't become lactose intolerant until my early 20s. (I'm only 24 now for context)

The amount of people who think I'm just doing this because it's a trend, or think I'll get over it if I "train my body" to accept dairy is insane!

I don't do big posts on social media or anything, but when I go out with friends and we order food I have to say "I can't have this". Then they forget and so when we go out next time I remind them again. I've tried to educate myself as best I can help them understand if they ask, but it's utterly infuriating when people treat it like it's a choice. (They're welcome to stand near the bathroom after I've had dairy!)

I do encourage my friends/family to try some lactose free alternatives because I want them to see there is very little difference. You'd be surprised how many think "lactose free" instantly means "it's not made from dairy".

Return rant over. I do apologize, but I couldn't help myself! 

I've run the gamut on lactose since my 20s as well...I was sensitive for many years, had zero issues with it while I was preggers, but I was full-blown lactose intolerant between the two little Rexes.  Now I'm back to being sensitive again...it's very strange how the body works sometimes.

Have you tried a lactase supplement? They allowed me to indulge a bit, or at least helped me out when I didn't have a lactose-free alternative, without immediately having to find a restroom.

2 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

Super cute kitchen. The bathrooms look great too. The design is great, some of the decor is blah.

I can’t stand the frame that the wedding photo is in or the placement but I realize I can be a bit of a home decor snob. Sorry.

I've been obsessively reading Apartment Therapy because I'm moving abroad in two weeks to a really awesome one-bedroom that I'm so excited to decorate -- my aesthetic: Miami-meets-Copenhagen living room (simple, clean lines but with bright, punchy colors and modern florals), Tokyo-inspired kitchen (simple and functional, but with bright colors and cute prints/objects), and Hangzhou-inspired bedroom (elegant with soft colors and dark wood), so I feel you about being a home decor snob. I do hope Austin and Joy will get some bedframes for their guest bed. Their own bed being that low could be a matter of personal preference, but your guest bed shouldn't look like you just plunked the mattress on the floor. But I am really into their kitchen. The contrasting wood is a really cool and unexpected choice. 

12 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I've run the gamut on lactose since my 20s as well...I was sensitive for many years, had zero issues with it while I was preggers, but I was full-blown lactose intolerant between the two little Rexes.  Now I'm back to being sensitive again...it's very strange how the body works sometimes.

Have you tried a lactase supplement? They allowed me to indulge a bit, or at least helped me out when I didn't have a lactose-free alternative, without immediately having to find a restroom.

I also highly recommend trying Lactaid (or any off brand, they're all the same), I'm hella lactose intolerant and can eat whatever I want thanks to Lactaid- it's a game changer! 

On 1/16/2018 at 3:22 PM, Mayluka said:

24103F8E-E17E-4B76-B37A-374504D9CF0C.jpeg.37369b85132deeb8565ccbe27cc36149.jpeg

I’m just wondering now why DFO cropped it the way they did. Did they just want to cut off the food part of the picture?

Here’s the DFO version for reference:

Reveal hidden contents

9132D68A-C5AA-45E7-B157-229B36954F46.jpeg.71c1c4595223a01b5caa31872a6b2620.jpeg

I showed my husband this photo and said "what's wrong here" and after a minute he said "Why is there chocolate syrup next to ranch dressing? What food requires them both? That's what I really want to know"

6 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I showed my husband this photo and said "what's wrong here" and after a minute he said "Why is there chocolate syrup next to ranch dressing? What food requires them both? That's what I really want to know"

I thought this immediately too!!! 

i also noticed the Valentina sauce which also has nothing to do with the other 2 lol

I think the Duggars established a reputation for pretty questionable dishes  so this goes right along with that 

36 minutes ago, kbuttons said:

I also highly recommend trying Lactaid (or any off brand, they're all the same), I'm hella lactose intolerant and can eat whatever I want thanks to Lactaid- it's a game changer! 

Agreed! They work great. though I know I need to stay off of dairy, as it's always (like others have said) sort of bothered me, but its been not good at all last few times I've eaten it.  I am also gluten intolerant, and have been off of it for almost 3 years now. I'm currently on the Whole30diet which more or less has been going well, though there are many things I am looking forward to having again after I am done with it! 

2 hours ago, crazysnark said:

I think they are keeping the sex a surprise even to them. "Gender neutral" nurseries tend to look more boyish, at least when compared to the rooms that look like pepto bismol threw up everywhere. 

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

These people wouldn't "gender neutral" any damn thing. No way. No how.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived