IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 32: Another Year and How Many New Duggars?

Coconut Flan

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

What do they do when the oldest son is Josh? Pretend he's not there and go to John David?

As much as I wish they would, I doubt that’d be the case. Josh is still an accepted member of the family. As long as that’s the case he’s the one who would be consulted.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I remember reading a post where a fundamentalist pastor told a woman that since her husband died her son would become head when he turned 13. Umm what. How is that even remotely reasonable? 

37 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

I think I remember reading a post where a fundamentalist pastor told a woman that since her husband died her son would become head when he turned 13. Umm what. How is that even remotely reasonable? 

Which would technically go against Biblical teaching considering that sons and daughters are suppsed to obey and honor both parents. And the Bible doesn't give any age parameters as to when children should stop following that commandment. 

44 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

I read some stories on Recovering Grace that mentioned that too. No way I'd ever let my child tell me what to do if I were in that scenario.

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

My grandson is 13. He's lucky to get himself out of bed in the morning.

My sons are 10 and 8 and there’s no way they’d ever be telling me what to do.  They do refer to me as the queen, after all.

5 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

My sons are 10 and 8 and there’s no way they’d ever be telling me what to do.  They do refer to me as the queen, after all.

:pb_lol: Once my mum and I were talking and I asked her, if I ever had kids, what would she want them to call her? Grandma, Nanna, something else? And she said, "Your Majesty."

34 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

:pb_lol: Once my mum and I were talking and I asked her, if I ever had kids, what would she want them to call her? Grandma, Nanna, something else? And she said, "Your Majesty."

Your mom is my hero.

Amy (Duggar) King tweeted this today regarding IBLP, not sure if anyone had posted here yet? Must have something to do with the conference going on at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Kayleigh83 said:

Amy (Duggar) King tweeted this today regarding IBLP, not sure if anyone had posted here yet?

Good for her for speaking out against it, and without any qualifying statements (like, 'athough it has positive aspects', or, 'I know many wonderful people who follow his teachings'). Actually, I'm really happy that she posted this. She has a lot of Duggar fans following her, and her words could have some impact with people who might consequently think twice about supporting Gothard and IBLP.

Did anyone else the recent Duggar photos on IG? The kids are wearing name tags and Tyler's gives his last name as Hutchinson Duggar.  He's Michelle's grand nephew so he's in no way a Duggar. I wonder if they did that as a symbolic gesture or if there is something else we don't know?

Some source of Pickles said at the NZ conference they daid Siren have been courting since January. She's 18, will turn 19 this may. Her mom is expecting her 9th baby around the same time as Joy.

Jana laughed at the Caleb rumors, Pickles feels she deserves Duggar props for not talking about it. :pb_lol:

41 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Some source of Pickles said at the NZ conference they daid Siren have been courting since January.

Are we talking about January 2017 here, or like... last Thursday?

1 hour ago, JMO said:

Did anyone else the recent Duggar photos on IG? The kids are wearing name tags and Tyler's gives his last name as Hutchinson Duggar.  He's Michelle's grand nephew so he's in no way a Duggar. I wonder if they did that as a symbolic gesture or if there is something else we don't know?

Don't they have permanent guardianship now? If so, that means he will live with them until he is 18, right? I imagine it makes him feel more a part of the family to be called Duggar.  He isn't in public school, so I don't imagine it really matters if he wants to call himself Tyler Hutchinson Duggar.

My cousin's kids were called by their stepfather's last name, even though it wasn't legally their last name.  Even the school (small local public school, everybody knows everybody, half the school was related to them, etc).  It made them feel more a part of one family, and the stepdad was called Dad.  They had half-siblings that were legally his, so they really wanted to be called by his last name.  (they had little contact with their bio dad, and it was always negative)

41 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Are we talking about January 2017 here, or like... last Thursday?

Pretty sure it’s early January 2018 that the courtship began, but they were talking long distance before that.

6 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Pretty sure it’s early January 2018 that the courtship began, but they were talking long distance before that.

Pretty messed up, isn't it? Courting for a week or two and then going on a flight to the other side of the world with your potential spouse's family? 

I mean, I love my in-laws, but I can barely get through a trip to the grocery store with them - and I've known them for 8 years. 

1 minute ago, Plexus31Wife said:

Pretty messed up, isn't it? Courting for a week or two and then going on a flight to the other side of the world with your potential spouse's family? 

I mean, I love my in-laws, but I can barely get through a trip to the grocery store with them - and I've known them for 8 years. 

Could you imagine traveling for all this time with Jim Bob and still wanting to marry into all this?

17 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Could you imagine traveling for all this time with Jim Bob and still wanting to marry into all this?

Her dad runs a riding lawnmower ministry and speaks at ATI events. She's probably been indoctrinated since birth and thinks she's hit the jackpot. :( 

3 hours ago, Kayleigh83 said:

Amy (Duggar) King tweeted this today regarding IBLP, not sure if anyone had posted here yet? Must have something to do with the conference going on at the moment.

She said that she had received a lot of emails regarding it. I'm assuming people were hounding her and she wished to make the record straight?

Plus, she shows with her comment that there is not just one "right way" to do Christianity. It just sucks that there are bad ways like IBLP etc. 

3 hours ago, Kayleigh83 said:

I'm conflicted on this one. 

On the one hand, great! Any evangelical, Gothardite or not, speaking out against the cruelty and evil of the IBLP is good news in my books. And her comment is unequivocally negative - no room for misinterpretation. 

On the other hand, I'm reminded of Derick's "I don't follow some man named Gothard" tweet a few months ago. Or Erin Paine's "we don't support Gothard's ministry - thanks for your concern!" tweet from a while back. It seems like it's become en vogue for fundies and fundie lites to come out against this guy, but where were they a few years ago when these scandals were first coming to light? What did they do to help his scared victims when he was still the head of his organization?

And how do we know they've learned their lesson about protecting the powerful? How do we know they're not hiding abuse that goes even deeper? 

... Because she's joining the "not affiliated with Gothard" crowd just a few days after her radio interview, in which she said she was "not necessarily comfortable" answering the question of whether her female cousins are in school or finished their education.

....Because she referred to her aunt as a queen of patience in that interview, who has never raised her voice and never freaked out...as far as she knows, she claims.

That's why it comes off as disingenuous to me. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I've seen it all before. I really think she's trying to hide something.

I think Erin just distanced the Paines from Gothard, not the ministry. After all, her father still openly supports it. 

31 minutes ago, Plexus31Wife said:

I'm conflicted on this one. 

On the one hand, great! Any evangelical, Gothardite or not, speaking out against the cruelty and evil of the IBLP is good news in my books. And her comment is unequivocally negative - no room for misinterpretation. 

On the other hand, I'm reminded of Derick's "I don't follow some man named Gothard" tweet a few months ago. Or Erin Paine's "we don't support Gothard's ministry - thanks for your concern!" tweet from a while back. It seems like it's become en vogue for fundies and fundie lites to come out against this guy, but where were they a few years ago when these scandals were first coming to light? What did they do to help his scared victims when he was still the head of his organization? (Snip)

I agree with you here, and although I’m more inclined to believe Amy as being sincere when she says that she rejects his teachings and what they stand for, in general when people say this kind of thing I always wonder whether they mean “I reject being associated socially with this specific person so I’m not made into a pariah, but still agree with pretty well everything that they say and live it out in my day today life.”

Did Amy made a mistake in the meaning of IBLP? I always thought it was ‘Basic’ not ‘Biblical’.

how interesting that SiRen seem to be courting only since January (well...now) and that they would "announce" it so early. If this is true then they've never announced a courtship this early after it happening, except again for Si and Marjorie.

All other courtships were announce months after starting.

Maybe this will be a superfast courtship with an engagement on Valentine's day?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived