IGNORED

Dillards 49: Dull Dillards Dulling

samurai_sarah

14 hours ago, yeahtotally said:

As a liberal Catholic, I struggle with this, but what keeps me active within the Church are the sacraments and believing that the church is actually stronger with so many forward thinking individuals of my generation. Change takes time, but it will happen from within. 

Don't expect to see changes in your lifetime.  Think about how slowly the RC Church makes changes:  It's only been 50 years since Catholics began to worship in the vernacular! 

I was part of the progressive wing within the RC Church, and I burned out working for change from within in the early 90s.  What finally fried me to a crisp was the old-boys' (patriarchy) cover up of pedophile priests, which I experienced up close and personal.  As long as you can stay away from the church hierarchy and remain focused on your local  community,  there's hope of survival as a Catholic.  Get involved with the power structure and clerical politics, and you're soon toast, imo.         

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite quotes from Elizabeth I

“There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles.”

I also think of the Pharisees who thought they were the true believers and quite arrogant about it.... Jesus wasn't too fond of them. 

Was this pic posted earlier? It just showed up on today's DFO post celebrating Jana's and JD's 28th birthday today. It clearly shows that *something* happened with Sammy that led to him needing a tube of some sort post birth. But since I 1) was away from the internet for a couple weeks and 2) got so fed up with Derrick I stopped following the Dillard posts for a while, I may have missed a previous discussion of this pic.

Jana, Israel and Sammy.JPG

20 minutes ago, Drala said:

Don't expect to see changes in your lifetime. 

Definitely agree. I also fear that however progressive American Catholicism becomes it will never be enough to force change at the Vatican.

I just saw a dinner party episode of "Chelsea"  and sex columnist and LGBTQ+ activist Dan Savage was a guest. As the conversation turned to religious backgrounds everyone was surprised to hear that Dan had decided to go back to  or remain a part of the catholic church. He said that since his big catholic family had been so accepting and good with him and his husband having a child that he wanted his kid to be a part of the same traditions and rites of passage that all the other kids it the family partake in.  It was about inclusion and family tradition more that theology.  A woman and mother at the table had left the church and could not go back for much the same reasons as @VelociRapture.  So it was interesting because you have a gay man on one hand who is choosing to baptize his child and call his family Catholic and a woman who has separated her family from the church on the other but these 2 people share a lot of the same values. for one person the best was forward is to leave and not be associated and for another person the best way forward is to stay. I think both of their approaches are valid and important to understand.

Jinger got lots of praise when she started wearing pants.  I wonder if Jill thought that the same thing would happen to her.  I can imagine Jill, as a people pleaser, would be desperate to get the same sort of likeability that her sisters have but always seems to elude her.  

I think the reason Jinger got such a big reaction is that she was the first Duggar daughter to start wearing pants on a regular basis in public. And it played into the stereotype of Jinger and Jeremy supposedly being more liberal or enlightened or sophisticated. I think if Jill had started wearing pants soon after her marriage to Derick, she would have gotten a very similar reaction, because back then many people still saw Derick as this more worldly, educated man who was sweeping in to 'rescue' her from fundamentalism.

Well, she still is only the 2nd one to wear pants (in public), so I still find it different. The timing is interesting to me as well. But maybe she took a cue from Jinger and had wanted to for a while, and since they are off the show, she doesn't' have to hold up the "brand" that she used to. I really wonder what JB and M think of it all.

7 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Well, she still is only the 2nd one to wear pants (in public), so I still find it different. The timing is interesting to me as well. But maybe she took a cue from Jinger and had wanted to for a while, and since they are off the show, she doesn't' have to hold up the "brand" that she used to. I really wonder what JB and M think of it all.

Jinger is pretty and stylish.  She is also skilled with social media.  She's created a narrative based around her move into a new, sophisticated life in Texas.  Her followers are typically people that like her and Jeremy.  And like singsingsing said, she was the first and by virtue of that will get the bulk of the attention.  

OTOH, a lot of Jill's followers are there because her/Derick are a hot mess.  It's people who are watching a train wreck.  Jill doesn't seem to realize that.  She doesn't realize that they aren't going to like her for wearing pants; it's going to take something far less superficial to change peoples' opinion that she and her husband are lazy, hateful grifters.  

I think TLC would've been fine with one of the Counting On women wearing pants.  They could have spun it into the usual fake TLC DRAMA! about their conflicted thoughts and convictions and NIKE MODESTY.  

I'm not totally convinced that Jill started wearing pants specifically to improve her image, relate to the college kids, or get more people to like her. Those may have been factors that helped convince her it was okay, but her motivation may have just been as simple as wanting to wear pants. By that time she had seen at least one of her sisters and several friends make the switch, so she may have felt comfortable going ahead with it herself. It's also possible that she's been wearing pants when not being filmed/photographed for a while now, but stuck to skirts-only in public as long as she was still on the show out of some perceived duty to uphold the Duggar image. Once they got booted from TLC she may have figured there was no point keeping up the charade.

1 hour ago, CaricatureQualities said:

I just saw a dinner party episode of "Chelsea"  and sex columnist and LGBTQ+ activist Dan Savage was a guest. As the conversation turned to religious backgrounds everyone was surprised to hear that Dan had decided to go back to  or remain a part of the catholic church. He said that since his big catholic family had been so accepting and good with him and his husband having a child that he wanted his kid to be a part of the same traditions and rites of passage that all the other kids it the family partake in.  It was about inclusion and family tradition more that theology.  A woman and mother at the table had left the church and could not go back for much the same reasons as @VelociRapture.  So it was interesting because you have a gay man on one hand who is choosing to baptize his child and call his family Catholic and a woman who has separated her family from the church on the other but these 2 people share a lot of the same values. for one person the best was forward is to leave and not be associated and for another person the best way forward is to stay. I think both of their approaches are valid and important to understand.

In my experience, officials with the RC Church are much more tolerant and accepting of gay men than they are of feminists.  The old boys club of the all-male clergy has a long history of accommodating homosexuality in its ranks.  Homosexual clergy who stray are encouraged to repent, but not threatened with excommunication for giving in to sins of the flesh.  Uppity womyn are another thing altogether.  Women religious who overstep the prescribed boundaries are regularly disciplined with threats of expulsion from their congregations and/or excommunication.  Feminists challenge the power structure in a way that gay males do not.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

...back then many people still saw Derick as this more worldly, educated man who was sweeping in to 'rescue' her from fundamentalism.

Holy hell were we all so wrong... I still have hard time understanding how Derick turned out to be such a rotten person. Honestly, he's almost at the same level with Joshley now (almost, because he hasn't molested anybody as far as we know).

2 hours ago, Drala said:

Don't expect to see changes in your lifetime.  Think about how slowly the RC Church makes changes:  It's only been 50 years since Catholics began to worship in the vernacular! 

I was part of the progressive wing within the RC Church, and I burned out working for change from within in the early 90s.  What finally fried me to a crisp was the old-boys' (patriarchy) cover up of pedophile priests, which I experienced up close and personal.  As long as you can stay away from the church hierarchy and remain focused on your local  community,  there's hope of survival as a Catholic.  Get involved with the power structure and clerical politics, and you're soon toast, imo.         

We left the Church in early 2000's for this exact reason. We were unchurched until we joined a Unitarian Fellowship last year.

53 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm not totally convinced that Jill started wearing pants specifically to improve her image, relate to the college kids, or get more people to like her. Those may have been factors that helped convince her it was okay, but her motivation may have just been as simple as wanting to wear pants. By that time she had seen at least one of her sisters and several friends make the switch, so she may have felt comfortable going ahead with it herself. It's also possible that she's been wearing pants when not being filmed/photographed for a while now, but stuck to skirts-only in public as long as she was still on the show out of some perceived duty to uphold the Duggar image. Once they got booted from TLC she may have figured there was no point keeping up the charade.

I think also having a toddler helped to convince her of the practicality of pants.  Without many hands to help out, Jill and basically Jill alone is the one responsible for managing Izzy.  There's a lot of running around, bending down, and odd contortions that often come with toddler care, and the wrong skirt will make it all 10x more difficult.  I'm basically skirts-only for comfort reasons, but one of the few situations in which I will wear pants is when I am caring for my toddler niece.  

It's just so much easier. 

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I think also having a toddler helped to convince her of the practicality of pants.  Without many hands to help out, Jill and basically Jill alone is the one responsible for managing Izzy.  There's a lot of running around, bending down, and odd contortions that often come with toddler care, and the wrong skirt will make it all 10x more difficult.  I'm basically skirts-only for comfort reasons, but one of the few situations in which I will wear pants is when I am caring for my toddler niece.  

It's just so much easier. 

Maybe its just me, but I don't get how its easier.  Its easier then a pencil skirt maybe but a circle skirt or a line, not so much.  I wear pants to my kids mommy and me class because there is a lot of rolling on the floor with other people around (at home who cares?) or when I'm hiking or cold, but I really don't get why they would be harder for most things.  Maybe I'm just weird.

Who really knows why they (Jinger, Jill)  switched to pants since they have not addressed it. Practicality? Style? Public image? All of the above? Whatever the reason(s) they (all the duggars) know full well that people will talk about it and take it as a statement. They can't not know it.  

I wonder if the skirt wearers that the new season will be most likely be focusing on (Kendra and Joy ) will take a moment to reaffirm their skirt wearing for Jesus at all. I can see Joy fitting in some underhanded remark somehow.

The pant wearers might say it's not a big deal...but they know it is in the context of their family asserting it for years in print and on tv and the internet as a family conviction. 

They might ignore it altogether since they tend not to discuss stuff people actually want to know about. I'd like them to say something about it just so people will shut the ef up about it .Not here, just in general. I mean a Duggar girl wears pants and everybody collectively shits their what?...say it with me....Pants! 

1 minute ago, justoneoftwo said:

Maybe its just me, but I don't get how its easier.  Its easier then a pencil skirt maybe but a circle skirt or a line, not so much.  I wear pants to my kids mommy and me class because there is a lot of rolling on the floor with other people around (at home who cares?) or when I'm hiking or cold, but I really don't get why they would be harder for most things.  Maybe I'm just weird.

For me it's just one more thing to get caught on something, one more thing to get IN something, one more thing to worry about.  It's not a huge difference, and if it was important to people, I'm sure they'd keep skirts.  But I personally find it easier and less worry to play with a rambunctious toddler with my legs more free.  

I think it's nice to have the option to wear whatever works for whatever reasons. I know some guys who like to wear their kilts in the summer or to different events just because they are comfy and keep them cool! 

Also, some bodies are just more comfortable in some clothes while other bodies aren't for fit reasons alone. 

I'd hate to be deprived of either option in all their various forms.

2 hours ago, metheglyn said:

Was this pic posted earlier? It just showed up on today's DFO post celebrating Jana's and JD's 28th birthday today. It clearly shows that *something* happened with Sammy that led to him needing a tube of some sort post birth. But since I 1) was away from the internet for a couple weeks and 2) got so fed up with Derrick I stopped following the Dillard posts for a while, I may have missed a previous discussion of this pic.

Jana, Israel and Sammy.JPG

Interesting catch.  I looked up a few things like shunt and NG tube but I think the tube may be a monitor of some sort and the thing on the cheek to secure oxygen tubing via nasal cannula.

5 minutes ago, pook said:

Interesting catch.  I looked up a few things like shunt and NG tube but I think the tube may be a monitor of some sort and the thing on the cheek to secure oxygen tubing via nasal cannula.

Isn't that at home too?  That part seems really weird.

That type of facial tape is often used to secure Oxygen tubing (and I'm sure in some places for oral/nasal feeding tubes, although I never worked in a unit where those were used for feeding tubes). HOWEVER, the placement of that tape is very high and too close to the eye. It looks like they are outside the hospital. Whoever applied that tape did not do it correctly. It most likely was for occasion at home Oxygen use.

Y’all are probably gonna downvote the shit outta this, but my first thought was they’d lobotomized the baby and that was the bandage from the procedure.

:pb_biggrin:Lol

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Y’all are probably gonna downvote the shit outta this, but my first thought was they’d lobotomized the baby and that was the bandage from the procedure.

:pb_biggrin:Lol

Now if Derick was supporting that facial tape, I'd agree 100%!!!!

7 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

That type of facial tape is often used to secure Oxygen tubing (and I'm sure in some places for oral/nasal feeding tubes, although I never worked in a unit where those were used for feeding tubes). HOWEVER, the placement of that tape is very high and too close to the eye. It looks like they are outside the hospital. Whoever applied that tape did not do it correctly. It most likely was for occasion at home Oxygen use.

Agreed, most likely oxygen at night with 02 sat. monitoring.

I’ve got a picture of my premie daughter with a monitor lead like Sam’s hanging out of her clothes. She was on an apnea monitor, not just in the hospital, but at home,too.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived