IGNORED

Dillards 49: Dull Dillards Dulling

samurai_sarah

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone asked about defending Catholics from Fundies when they believe the same thing (I thought it was an interesting question - sorry I can’t remember your name!) I’d say the difference is this:

We aren’t defending the Catholic Church itself as much as we’re defending individual Catholics who don’t subscribe to those teachings. When I make a snarky comment about Jeremy’s Catholic-bashing it’s because I’m thinking of my family, all of whom have been completely accepting and supportive of my LGBTQIA brother. Or I’m thinking of the Catholics I know who think anti-abortion protestors are assholes because everyone should have the right to choose.

(I’m also thinking of our Catholic members here - like @louisa05 - who have been very vocal about supporting right to choose and LGBTQIA rights, while also showing disapproval of the official stance of their Church. You the real MVPs!)

So, basically, I think the difference is that the Catholic Church may stand on the wrong side of history in many ways, but that doesn’t mean that many actual Catholics agree with those views - compared to members of IBLP, all of whom appear to be militantly opposed to abortion access and LGBTQIA rights. 

I feel validated in thinking Jill's new wardrobe is because she's trying to appeal to college kids. :pb_lol: 

On the topic of Catholics, I would like to add that although it may not seem like it, the Catholic Church is a lot less united than one would assume.

The stance of Catholics, both clergy and general members, towards many issues varies considerably world-wide. Latin America, Africa and the US are generally a lot more conservative than their counterparts in Europe. Then again in Europe there is quite a difference between Catholics in, say, Malta or Poland, and Catholics in Belgium, Austria or Germany.

And finally it really very often depends on the local priest who has quite some leeway in how he interprets certain rules. The priest in my hometown had no qualms whatsoever to perform a full Holy Mass for our wedding even though only my husband is Catholic and I am not even Christian. According to official Catholic doctrine in the country where we got married, this would have - at best - allowed for a service without Holy Communion.

So long story short, opposition to, for example, gay marriage or abortion are not as fundamental tenets to Catholics in general as they seem to be to fundie evangelical Christians.

Having said that, the Catholic Church definitely has their own share of fundies who would fully agree with the Duggars on virtually all social issues.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I feel validated in thinking Jill's new wardrobe is because she's trying to appeal to college kids. :pb_lol: 

To be honest, Jill is the last Duggar adult daughter (maybe along with Jana) I expected to wear pants publicly. I'm more sure than ever before that she still has her vile and toxic beliefs ( she's married to Mr. Asshole, after all), but I never ever thought she would ditch her skirt when going out of their grifted house/apartment.

Jill wearing pants to me always stood out as a way to connect with college students. You know why? Because what would she have in common with them otherwise? Other then being female. Jill didn't go to any school, let alone college. She's married (to a dick) and has two kids, spent her time in Central America trying to convert Catholics, and well...the whole courtship thing. Oh jeans and a nose piercing, that's going to help! :penguin-wink:

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

So, basically, I think the difference is that the Catholic Church may stand on the wrong side of history in many ways, but that doesn’t mean that many actual Catholics agree with those views - compared to members of IBLP, all of whom appear to be militantly opposed to abortion access and LGBTQIA rights. 

Agreed. I'd also say that it's important to point out factual errors no matter the subject. If someone is going to claim that Catholics aren't allowed to read the Bible, or the pope believes in Young Earth Creationism, I'm going to correct them. That's not necessarily defending Catholics, it's just clarifying their beliefs. 

I'd do the same for other religions and Fundies themselves when someone repeats a fallacy. 

And when a Duggar is running their mouth, there's a good chance that they're spreading some misinformation gleaned from a Wisdom Booklet, so corrections happen a lot...

Wow, jill really seems to be working the jeans quite a bit, crazy to think she wore skirts ALWAYS, and now is rocking jeans 75% of the time. (based on photos we see)

5 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

married to Mr. Asshole

Aren't they all? 

And with they I mean fundie women. 

I don't agree with all religions, HOWEVER, I also do not believe that ANY person should be subject to predatory evangelism.  No matter what they believe.  

Another element to consider is that in many areas, Catholic traditions and indigenous/pre-colonial religious traditions are HEAVILY intertwined.  And with missionaries like the Dillards, one of the things about Catholicism that they really object to is the presence and recognition of folk religious traditions.  There's an uber Colonial element there, as the Dillards and their ilk essentially want to strip peoples of their religious identities and ONLY have them participate in sanctioned, White, Bible belt-American style worship.  

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

You hit the nail on the head. Most college kids haven't lead the sheltered life and 'Wisdom" book education she has. She is as transparent as a window.

I don't currently attend mass but even when I did we were never preached at about abortion, homosexuality or sex outside marriage directly the way fundie preachers do. My sister takes my nephew's to mass and the priest, who is considered conservative by many, has no issue with her being unmarried, he also has no issue with members that are LGBTQ either. The heads of the Catholic Church may still be behind the times but a growing number of priests are more broad minded. 

I do think it's a problem that people continue to support and be a part of an organization like the Roman Catholic Church, even if they don't share those values personally.

7 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Agreed. I'd also say that it's important to point out factual errors no matter the subject. If someone is going to claim that Catholics aren't allowed to read the Bible, or the pope believes in Young Earth Creationism, I'm going to correct them. That's not necessarily defending Catholics, it's just clarifying their beliefs. 

I'd do the same for other religions and Fundies themselves when someone repeats a fallacy.

I agree with that! I also tend to try to correct misinformation when I see it (sometimes too often!), like recently when I've seen people make broad statements about Evangelicals, or the huge amount of false assumptions about the LDS church from both fundies and liberals. I have big problems with both religious traditions, but it also bothers me when people repeat incorrect information.

8 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Jill wearing pants to me always stood out as a way to connect with college students. 

If it were only that then she would only wear jeans while mingling with students, but she's been pictured wearing them while with Derick's family and other occasions not college related. I think she wanted to wear them and TLC releasing them gives her the freedom to dress how she (or Derick) chooses. No more brand to advertise.

Not saying her wearing pants means anything about her changing her beliefs (I don’t think it has), but it must have been a huge deal to her to start wearing pants in public.  Not just because she and her parents had been spruiking the whole modesty deal her whole life, and she’d know that it would draw a lot of attention, but because she wasn’t used to wearing them (in public at least).  

When I started work in 1985, women did.not.wear.pants in the very traditional organisation I worked for.  It was just an unwritten rule every woman followed (and there were roughly 1500 employees in the building).  Then I went off to uni for 3 years, and when I went back to work, women were wearing slacks.  It took me six months to be brave enough, but the next winter I bought a pair of slacks.  I felt so self conscious in the city for the first few weeks - even though I’d wear short shorts/jeans on weekends.  For Jill, this has to have been a big adjustment.

5 minutes ago, Karma said:

Not saying her wearing pants means anything about her changing her beliefs (I don’t think it has), but it must have been a huge deal to her to start wearing pants in public.  Not just because she and her parents had been spruiking the whole modesty deal her whole life, and she’d know that it would draw a lot of attention, but because she wasn’t used to wearing them (in public at least).  

When I started work in 1985, women did.not.wear.pants in the very traditional organisation I worked for.  It was just an unwritten rule every woman followed (and there were roughly 1500 employees in the building).  Then I went off to uni for 3 years, and when I went back to work, women were wearing slacks.  It took me six months to be brave enough, but the next winter I bought a pair of slacks.  I felt so self conscious in the city for the first few weeks - even though I’d wear short shorts/jeans on weekends.  For Jill, this has to have been a big adjustment.

In the 90s my hubs wore a suit with a white shirt and red tie to work every single day. When he retired from that same company last year, he was wearing jeans and a polo or button down shirt. Things have changed for many people in the work place.

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

In the 90s my hubs wore a suit with a white shirt and red tie to work every single day. When he retired from that same company last year, he was wearing jeans and a polo or button down shirt. Things have changed for many people in the work place.

In my old office there was one guy who wore shorts and flip flops. Another guy would come to work in an elf costume. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I do think it's a problem that people continue to support and be a part of an organization like the Roman Catholic Church, even if they don't share those values personally.

As a liberal Catholic, I struggle with this, but what keeps me active within the Church are the sacraments and believing that the church is actually stronger with so many forward thinking individuals of my generation. Change takes time, but it will happen from within. 

1 hour ago, yeahtotally said:

As a liberal Catholic, I struggle with this, but what keeps me active within the Church are the sacraments and believing that the church is actually stronger with so many forward thinking individuals of my generation. Change takes time, but it will happen from within. 

It happened with the Episcopal church. We have women priests, deacons and bishops. And we dont have any problems with the LGBT community. I don't think it will happen quickly with the Catholic church, but the fact that there are forward thinking people is encouraging.

The Catholic Church and the Duggars are both complicit in child sexual abuse. 

How anyone can condemn the Duggars while letting the Catholic Church have a “pass” is beyond me. 

My biggest problem with people like the Duggars constantly bashing the Catholics is their assumption that they are the better Christians. They all believe in the same god but just because they approach worship in a different way it makes them wrong. They believe that people must worship exactly as they do. Their superiority complex annoys me. Also the fact that they go about it without any true knowledge either. The only thing they know about the awful Catholics is that they are idol worshipers who must pay their way into heaven when plenty of Evangelicals say that if you give them money you will go to heaven (cough cough Joel Osteen). 

56 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

How anyone can condemn the Duggars while letting the Catholic Church have a “pass” is beyond me. 

Sure, but the Catholic Church had an institutional problem, I won’t judge individual Catholics for the crimes of the hierarchy. Equally, I won’t judge the younger Duggars for the crimes of their parents. 

I mean, unless individual Catholics or Duggars give me reason to judge. Which they do. I wouldn’t call it a pass so much as hating the people who allowed it to happen, not the whole group. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Because the Catholic Church is an organization with millions upon millions of members. Some of those who are extremely good people who do a shit ton for their local communities, above and beyond the normal volunteer work. These would be the same people who were hurt and outraged at the abuse that happened within the church. 

I place blame where it belongs on the abusers and the people who covered it up.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I understand your point and I do agree to an extent - the Catholic Church itself and the Duggar parents (as well as IBLP leaders) all need to be held accountable for the sexual abuse of children. 

Personally, the sexual abuse of children and subsequent coverup is one of the main reasons why I (and my husband) can’t return to Catholicism - along with some theological differences we have. However, I also agree with @yeahtotallythat good people who can remain and wish to should feel free to do so without judgement because actual change isn’t going to come about from outside pressure - it’s going to come from decent Catholics forcing the Church hierarchy to take responsibility and take steps to ensure that no further abuse occurs (and if it does, that any further abuse is dealt with properly.) 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived