IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 3: Will There Be a Welcome Home Party?

Coconut Flan

19 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

The Bontragers just posted more pictures on their blog

So not seeing each other before the wedding is dismissed, I suppose, as "superstition"? How puke-ingly earnest is the photo of them copping a feel...I mean praying

She looks soooooo much like a friend of my daughter in these--does the same hunching sort of pose too.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched 4 siblings (at least 2 of them younger than her) marry off in just a few months--and having one of them (and probably more than one) announce a pregnancy already--must be hard on Alison if her goal is also to be a wife and mother.

41 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Having watched 4 siblings (at least 2 of them younger than her) marry off in just a few months--and having one of them (and probably more than one) announce a pregnancy already--must be hard on Alison if her goal is also to be a wife and mother.

I hope she doesn't become the Sarah Maxwell/Jana Duggar of the Bontrager family.

Christian fasting can be different things, in my church you can abstain from more or less anything and call it a fast. In my church it is mostly something people do for Lent before Easter. Last year we did vegetarian food except for one meal a week. We allowed broth from meat and to eat leftovers from our meat meal to be eaten on other days. Normally one would only eat meat on Sundays (as you don't need to fast on Sundays) but for us it was better to eat meat on Saturdays or Wednesdays so we switched things around. We plan to do something similar this year.

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

So not seeing each other before the wedding is dismissed, I suppose, as "superstition"? How puke-ingly earnest is the photo of them copping a feel...I mean praying

That particilar photo really creeps me out.  It's always irked me to see "chaste" young couples usong prayer time as a way to get their hands on each other. I saw this a lot in college, when we attended church. We'd hear "let us pray," and many of the dating/engaged couples would suddenly just melt into each other like some sort of holy amoeba.  *humble brag ahead* My husband and I were dating at the time and we just grabbed each other's hand to pray. 

I mean, all the heavy necking was supposed to take place after dark behind the music buliding as we waited for the curfew bell to start ringing. :Yes:

Alison’s only 23. She’s got a while to go before she gets to Sarah Maxwell level. Given also that four of their kids got married within as many months, they may well want to wait a bit before marrying any of the others off. 

Hmmm according to the Bonts blog:

ps. For those wanting to watch the livestream, please email johnandchelsy2017@gmail.com with your request.

I wonder if this is a concession to Stevie to protect his scrotum speach? The last wedding seems to be on their you tube channel. Who vets the requests?

15 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

I wonder if this is a concession to Stevie to protect his scrotum speach? The last wedding seems to be on their you tube channel. Who vets the requests?

The double wedding was shown live, and taken down immediately.  It got put back up a few weeks later, maybe after a bunch of people asked for links to see it.

this one may get put back up, too.

24 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

One would think that Stevehovah, Lord Most High of the Venerated Vas Deferens, would want that to be the speech heard 'round the world...

18 minutes ago, grammyj said:

I haven't been able to access the Maxwell F blog since Tues.  Anybody else having a problem? 

Its loading fine for me.

On 1/10/2018 at 3:02 AM, Dandruff said:

Should there also be Eating Time and Excretion Time (scheduled)?  Perhaps a chart in the bathroom to confirm regularity or establish the need for dietary modification?

Doesn't Steve have his time with the Lord every morning? That could be a euphemism for excretion time. Well, out bathroom was known as The house of Lords when we were kids and spent too much time in there!

3 hours ago, Fluffles said:

Doesn't Steve have his time with the Lord every morning? That could be a euphemism for excretion time. Well, out bathroom was known as The house of Lords when we were kids and spent too much time in there!

Wouldn't surprise me if they believe that the Lord resides in their house, but not so sure about the bathroom.  Maybe by Steve's right hand wherever Bible Time is held?

6 hours ago, usmcmom said:

That particilar photo really creeps me out.  It's always irked me to see "chaste" young couples usong prayer time as a way to get their hands on each other. I saw this a lot in college, when we attended church. We'd hear "let us pray," and many of the dating/engaged couples would suddenly just melt into each other like some sort of holy amoeba.  *humble brag ahead* My husband and I were dating at the time and we just grabbed each other's hand to pray. 

I mean, all the heavy necking was supposed to take place after dark behind the music buliding as we waited for the curfew bell to start ringing. :Yes:

Totally agree.   With the amoeba prayer part, that is.  Our heavy necking happened in other locations. ;)

I don't have a problem with the fact that they were totally velcroed to each other during prayer. They're adults.  They're engaged and about to be married (and even if they weren't).  Whatever.  It is that prayer becomes an excuse for couples who trumpet their chastity from the mountain tops to attach themselves to one another - all while spouting holier than thou crap to others who may have made different decisions about physical contact.  So hypocritical.

But seriously!  I would have given cold hard cash to see Steve's face during the prayer.  You know.  'Cuz that knot hadn't been tied yet just yet.

41 minutes ago, daisyjane1234 said:

Totally agree.   With the amoeba prayer part, that is.  Our heavy necking happened in other locations. ;)

I don't have a problem with the fact that they were totally velcroed to each other during prayer. They're adults.  They're engaged and about to be married (and even if they weren't).  Whatever.  It is that prayer becomes an excuse for couples who trumpet their chastity from the mountain tops to attach themselves to one another - all while spouting holier than thou crap to others who may have made different decisions about physical contact.  So hypocritical.

But seriously!  I would have given cold hard cash to see Steve's face during the prayer.  You know.  'Cuz that knot hadn't been tied yet just yet.

And because he’s publicly shown up as being more liberal than the heathen Duggars! Remember them sending a kid to stand in the middle so Jessa and Ben didn’t hold hands during prayer? I know that was before engagement, but Chelsy and John were definitely more physical than a lot of engaged Duggar couples.

10 hours ago, elliha said:

Last year we did vegetarian food except for one meal a week. We allowed broth from meat and to eat leftovers from our meat meal to be eaten on other days. Normally one would only eat meat on Sundays (as you don't need to fast on Sundays)

Weekly pig roast :) "Oh; that ginormous pile of meat that can barely fit in the fridge? That's leftovers!"

15 hours ago, usmcmom said:

There was no focus on chastity beyond "older campers/counselors, please do not use the back of the fifth grader campers' bunk as a makeout spot" at my Jewish summer camp, but people got so touchy-feely and inappropriately cuddly during nightly prayer time that one of the prayer time song leaders (basically, counselor who could sing and play guitar and remember the liturgy/occasionally talk about it) wrote a song called "Don't Put Your Heads in People's Crotches". 

On 10/01/2018 at 1:05 PM, OhNoNike said:

Side note: A lot more gets tracked online then I think some people realize.  

For example, I was telling a friend of mine that when you open email newsletters from places like direct sales, they track that.  I did direct sales for a couple of years (no I didn’t make money, but that’s not what I was going for anyway).  When a newsletter went out, I received an email 24 hours later telling me what email address owners clicked on what articles and when.   This helped me see who may be interested in what products based on what they clicked on, or who just deleted the email without looking.  So there’s a business reason behind it.

I personally don’t care in my personal life. I have nothing to hide.  But it sort of plays into my job, so I am careful with what newsletters I open (for contractural reasons).  

But yeah, they may not read here on the regular, but the clicks to blogs from FJ would definitely draw attention, especially when it was to an entry so long ago.

Yeah links in newsletters and advertising emails tend to go via a third party tracking site or other system to identify who clicked what link in which email. And they know who looked at the email when because the images in the email are loaded from their webserver.  (This is sometimes done via an invisible 1x1 pixel image.  And this kind of tracking is why services like gmail let you not load any images in emails as a default if you like.)

As for links from FJ, if i remember correctly FJ is set up so that the links in posts don't inform the target website where they're being referred from, so they don't know from analytics that it's coming from FJ.  Back in an old version before that feature we had to manually break links to force people to visit the links manually instead of clicking them, to prevent that.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but probably before my time: What is the Deal With the Wide Stance? It's SOOO distracting, looks stupid, and nobody else seems to do it.

Has Stevehovah explained why they stand like that? Or do we dimply discuss it among ourselves?

21 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I'm sure this has been discussed, but probably before my time: What is the Deal With the Wide Stance? It's SOOO distracting, looks stupid, and nobody else seems to do it.

Has Stevehovah explained why they stand like that? Or do we dimply discuss it among ourselves?

I think we presumed, but I would put money on that he has told them to stand like that.  Also when there were pics of them at an event or conference talking in a group to non family  / extended family leg humpers they stood about 2 meters away from them. Any touching of another man might be seen as homosexual sweet fellowship ay Stevie??

A little off-topic: The Bontragers actually look happy in all their pics on the blog.  

PS: this is my first post here at FJ.  I'm a lonnnng time lurker. 

47 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

I think we presumed, but I would put money on that he has told them to stand like that.  Also when there were pics of them at an event or conference talking in a group to non family  / extended family leg humpers they stood about 2 meters away from them. Any touching of another man might be seen as homosexual sweet fellowship ay Stevie??

I think the wide stance is a fairly common male fundie phenomenon, we've seen it from others before. I think they are projecting their Biblical Manliness by taking up extra space. There's an amazing photo of Doug Phillips (who is a tool) with the most hilarious wide stance I've ever seen, I wish I could find it!! If anybody else has it handy, I'd give you one great snort laugh as a reward.

Do you think this couple will not be as active in social media? Will her parents put all the news on the computer? We know the maxhells will be oversharing. Do you think social media "makes or breaks" fundie couples? How effective is social media in spreading fundie ministry? Do you think social media for fundies leads them down a rabbit hole of self-adoration? Also, I cannot stand the fundie wholier than thou routine. Plenty of people live perfectly wholesome lives without putting themselves up on a pedestal and acting high and mighty about it.

3 hours ago, bean said:

I think the wide stance is a fairly common male fundie phenomenon, we've seen it from others before. I think they are projecting their Biblical Manliness by taking up extra space. There's an amazing photo of Doug Phillips (who is a tool) with the most hilarious wide stance I've ever seen, I wish I could find it!! If anybody else has it handy, I'd give you one great snort laugh as a reward.

you probably mean this one. It's from Peter and Kelly's wedding.

08a36f4264f082b9d1a4a55de4195f10bea58a39_r.jpg.5562df51524eb07c92ca3cc393df3e96.jpg

1 minute ago, ophelia said:

you probably mean this one. It's from Peter and Kelly's wedding.

08a36f4264f082b9d1a4a55de4195f10bea58a39_r.jpg.5562df51524eb07c92ca3cc393df3e96.jpg

This photo never, ever gets old. Ever. :laughing-rolling:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived