IGNORED

Jana 6: What's in Store for 2018?

Coconut Flan

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

No, Jenna is definitely pronounced differently than Jana. 

Absolutely!

What I’m saying is, way Michelle pronounces Jana sounds more like Jenna IMO. Not that they sound the same. 

2 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

The only way I could think Jenna and Jana could sound the same is if you were saying "Jenna" with a super super thick Southern accent.

Exactly. The ‘a’ in Jana is very different to the ‘e’ in Jenna. 

If I were a pot stirrer I would start the Carrie/Carry/Kerrie debate right about now. It’s nearly as good as the aforementioned marry/merry/Mary debate. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I used to think that Jana sounded like Dana. So Jane-a. 

ITA 

8 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

You betcha is so Alberta. Every time I hear that I think of my cousin saying that everything in Alberta is "You betcha." 

As for typical Canadian, I have heard "That's a beauty eh?" come out of my mouth. 

My Newfoundland accent is so much worst with my parents. Goes from "Oh yeah, I can hear it" to "Holy hell are you speaking English?" 

Yep, I have the you betcha down after living here for over a decade. Sometimes it comes out as you bictcha with my voice. I can't quite blame it on the Newfoundland accent, I have somewhat of a strange voice. 

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I used to think that Jana sounded like Dana. So Jane-a. 

I say Jay na. 

A few years back I tried to change my accent...but I'm glad and proud of it these days. 

6 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

I say "Melk"

Which just so happens to be the correct way of saying it in Dutch. 

:my_biggrin:

13 hours ago, adidas said:

The way she pronounces it sounds like it should be spelt Jenna. 

I don’t know how to type the phonemes in terms of IPA, but if you look at the chart she says ‘e’ as in bed (or maybe even close to ‘air’ as in hair), rather than ‘a’ as in cat. 

733BA18D-41E8-4A73-81D9-ADC6EADC15B4.png

Yay IPA! I’m studying to be an opera singer and IPA is life. 

I am a Southern born person with northern parents so I don’t really have an accent except when talking to other southern people. It’s the weirdest thing. People were calling Hillary Clinton fake when she had a slight drawl when giving a speech in Arkansas but I totally get it. 

10 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

The only way I could think Jenna and Jana could sound the same is if you were saying "Jenna" with a super super thick Southern accent.

This is pretty much what Michelle's doing in that video, l'd say! There's a southern /a/ going on

7 hours ago, adidas said:

If I were a pot stirrer I would start the Carrie/Carry/Kerrie debate right about now. It’s nearly as good as the aforementioned marry/merry/Mary debate. 

9 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I will play, for fun:

Carrie rhymes with Marry and with Carry;

Merry rhymes with Kerrie (and with Kerry);

Mary rhymes with none of them, but it does rhyme with contrary (when used as an adjective, but not as an adverb, which I've just noticed I do)  :D 

10 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

"Jenna" with a super super thick Southern accent.

Nope. Jenna with a super-thick Southern accent would be pronounced Jinna.

Or even Jee-uh-nuh.

Because Super-Southern-speakers add syllables. Like Sheee-it for shit.

The Jee-uh-nuh sound is what I was thinking of. That's the only way it could maybe work as sounding the same/similar. I don't think Michelle sounds like that, though.

Alright curiosity is getting the best of me haha... merry, Mary, marry all sound the same to me and Carrie, Carry, and Kerrie all sound the same and they all rhyme together for me. What are the other ways of pronouncing it?

17 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

@Carm_88 One minute with my old buddy from secondary school who had moved to BC from NL and I'll say "car" his way. It fades once I'm around other people again but it's weird. I've never even been to NL hahaha

I get so confused every time I read NL her on the forums (which is suprisingly often) since I keep on thinking that you refer to the Netherlands.

@CarrotCake Oh, no! haha I'm sorry. I will clarify from now on! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have actually had the same issue with people abbreviating Central America = "CA" <-- that's either Canada or California to me. South America = SA <-- that's South Africa in my head. So thank for letting me know :tw_smile:

5 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Alright curiosity is getting the best of me haha... merry, Mary, marry all sound the same to me and Carrie, Carry, and Kerrie all sound the same and they all rhyme together for me. What are the other ways of pronouncing it?

Hard to explain by writing, but I'll try.  For the record, I grew up in the US midwest (Omaha) and now live in California, and would say all 3 the same, but I'm married to an Australian and I can hear the difference when he says them (and I can tell which is which).  Think of saying merry and Kerrie with your mouth a little more closed, Mary with your mouth/throat a little more open, and then marry going a little more 'ah' than 'air' with the vowel.  

And this is word usage rather than pronunciation, but after being married to an Aussie for over 20 years it's always fun to find a new one that I didn't know.  My former roommate (also Aussie) was posting on FB yesterday about going to the Stationery store to get her daughter ready for high school.  As far as I know in the US (and maybe this is regional), stationery only means letter-writing stuff, mostly fancy paper and envelopes for hand-written letters (which I'm guessing most modern teens are barely using at all these days), not more general school supplies.  

My dad's family is from Minnesota. We always laugh because he and his sister never ever say 'uffda' unless their in Minnesota. Suddenly everything is 'uffad' this and 'uffad' that. Once they leave Minnesota it immediately disappears. Its like the Minnesota border turns it on and off for them.   

My dad only had the trendiest traces of the Appalachian Ohio accent he grew up with. Until the moment we’d drive into his hometown, then it’d be back full force.

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

My dad only had the trendiest traces of the Appalachian Ohio accent he grew up with. Until the moment we’d drive into his hometown, then it’d be back full force.

Teeniest. Not trendiest. Damn autocorrect. 

On topic of the pronunciation of Jana's name. It throws me off when I see it in print because we had a neighbor years ago named "Jana" and it was pronounced "Jane-ah". So that is how my brain thinks of it every time. 

as English is not my first language, and we pronounce J differently, i always hear Yana when I see her name. I  never watched a single episode so I never hear it differently. IF I had to i would prounce as Sky of Diamonds - Jay-na.

For those of you who missed it, I posted a video of Michelle saying Jana's name. The question of how to pronounce her name has been answered. lol

My name is Hannah. The way I pronounce Jana rhymes with my name. I also hear that from Michelle's pronunciation in the video. 

Also I'm from the Midwest (OH), Mary/Merry/Marry and Carrie/Carry/Kerrie all sound the same. Also, so do bin/Ben and pen/pin. I can't even fathom other people having different ways of pronouncing all of them. Language and regional accents amaze me. 

Maybe I'm misremembering but JD looks thinner here to me for some reason. They both look good. I wish they could use their 28th birthday as an excuse to leave the compound and move into their own apartments and live the young adult life they deserve. 

1 hour ago, HRM1216 said:

Maybe I'm misremembering but JD looks thinner here to me for some reason. They both look good. I wish they could use their 28th birthday as an excuse to leave the compound and move into their own apartments and live the young adult life they deserve. 

Unfortunately not. They’re in Australia with the family. Normally I would look at a vacation on your birthday as a great thing, but I wouldn’t call that trip a vacation for either Jana or JD.

ETA: And since it seems they just got to Australia and it already the 13th there, they spent their birthday on a 20+ hour flight.

12 minutes ago, snickerz said:

What's "uffda"?  

12 minutes ago, snickerz said:

What's "uffda"?  

It's whatcha say when you're overwhelmed or about to plop down into a chair. "Uffda, it's cold out there." Or when you put down something heavy. Like....an expression of relief of exhuastion. It's hard to explain. 

The twins are 2 years younger than I am and their lives are so different from mine. I'm no overachiever by any means, but I have had so many opportunities that they never will. It makes me sad for both of them that their life is so narrow. I truly hope they have found happiness in the world they have. 

Jana and John David are positioning themselves to run and manage the family's day to day living. Investments and companies pended by Dugger inc. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived