IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

These generation terms are so differently defined I never know what I am. Some definitions place me as millennial, some as Gen Z (born in 1995). I’m not American so 9/11 wasn’t such an influence on my life. I don’t really remember it; I remember vaguely having an assembly on it where we were told what happened. I would’ve been Year 2 at the time (age equivalent of 1st grade). I do remember the dial-up noise, and that we used to have AOL Internet; I remember it said “Welcome to AOL. You have email” which my dad thought was naff. Then again I do have a weird memory. 

What I remember more is 7/7, I was 10 and London had been awarded the Olympics only the day before (I remember learning about that, I was in the lunch queue and a girl in my class who’d seen it told us). I remember my teacher left the classroom on 7/7, I think his wife was in London (we live in a suburb).

As for the sex of Baby Vuolo... I don’t know. I know we hate the idea of girls being born into this cult, but it will happen at some point. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So their god had time to care about what people have for breakfast while millions of peopel in the world starve?

I had corn flakes for lunch yesterday so I guess I’m going straight to hell. 

19 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

On the messy bitch side of things, I feel like Jinger having a girl would drive Jill insane. 

Not as much as Jessa having a girl would. 

In general the messy bitch side of me wants to see one of two things: the Duggar sisters get fed up with the bullshit and band together to leave the cult as one, or they basically become Real Housewives. 

5 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I was born in late '79, I associate more with TV shows and music than I do big events, with the exception of the Challenger explosion,  Baby Jessica, the crash of flight 255 and the OKC bombing. It was definitely an interesting time to grow up in. Hubby was born in '84 and his memories are vastly different from mine. My kiddos are '00, '04, and '08 so they'll have some interesting stories to tell too.

We're big cereal eaters, the whole house. We try and keep it to the less sugary varieties but I can't help it, every so often the evil Lucky Charms start screaming my name. 

I was born fall of '80 and I remember all of those too. And the Berlin Wall coming down.  My kids are '04, '05 and '09 and I am very interested to see what they remember from the news in 10 or so years. My middle child is very interested in current events, my oldest is more into pop culture. My youngest is mostly interested in things that revolve around her. 

We are big cereal eaters too, but cereal is way too expensive here so it has become a treat I just have a hard time spending $7ish for a small box of cereal so they only get the close to expiration stuff in the markdown section. 

My first memories are of the nightly Vietnam casualty count on the news, Watergate, Nixon’s resignation,, the return of our local Air Force Base’s planes from Southeast Asia at the end of Vietnam, and Patty Hearst’s kidnapping. I was born at the tail end of 66.

GryffindorDisappointment (1990) told me her first memories are the OKC bombing and Selena’s murder. (We just had this discussion a couple of weeks ago.)

I was born in 1980. I'm in New Jersey so I remember the first World Trade Center bombing in 93. I was a huge fan of ice skating, so I remember the Nancy Kerrigan attacked, and was glued to the story Princess Diana and a few others. My parents were born in 46 and 47 and both remember JFK shooting. 

1 minute ago, tabitha2 said:

I was born in 80 so I remember the challenger explosion clearly as my first real memory.

I have a vague memory of that. My mother said we were in Florida visiting my grandmother when it happened. 

I’m a millennial, born in 1995, and lately I’ve been thinking those born in ‘98 or ‘99 should be classified as something different. Mostly because they’re the ones eating tide pods. Back in my day we ate spoonfuls of cinnamon or drank jugs of milk until we vomited, but we weren’t quite on the level of eating laundry detergent. 

(I’m totally kidding btw. I know not *every* current high school/college student is eating tide pods or snorting “coc-Gain,” which is something I just saw on twitter.) 

I was born in '84, and I think I more closely identify with that "Xillenial" mini-generation.  One time, I clicked on one of those lists with the title, "Things That Will Totally Confuse a Millennial."  It was all things that I not only knew about, but also had direct experience with in my life.  For example, the TV show "Dinosaurs," which I watched when it originally aired (and own the complete series on DVD.)  I used colored floppy disks--as well as ACTUAL black floppy disks that made a flopping noise when you waived them.

Some memories I have of world events:

--Earliest memory was of the 1988 presidential election.  I was 4 and trying to do an imitation of Dukakis.

--The Bulls winning their first NBA championship happened the night of my brother's bar mitzvah party.

--My dad telling me about Magic Johnson having HIV.  I was never a basketball fan, but apparently I was concerned enough that he assured me that Magic's wife and son were fine.  After that, Nickelodeon aired PSAs about how you couldn't get AIDS from hugging or high-fives.

--I have hazy memories of the Soviet Union collapsing.  I was giving some sort of class presentation where I drew the flag of a country my ancestors came from.  It was the old Lithuanian flag that still had a hammer and sickle.  I said, "The flag might not look like this anymore since the Soviet Union broke up."

After that, memories were much clearer.  I was a junior in high school when 9/11 happened, and it boggles my mind that there are now teenagers who were not alive for it.  A few weeks ago, I realized that the feelings of despair and fear that everyone in my life felt after Trump's election were extremely similar to the way we felt after 9/11.

I recall many years back some priest or bishop who lived in Rome stating that fast food places were designed by Protestants to destroy the family. lol. Wish I could remember his name but it must be 20 years ago.

My earliest memory of a big news story is of the Saddam Hussein statue coming down. That probably ages me as relatively young more than anything else. 

I'm a '77 gal and I honestly don't remember what my first news memory was!! I remember the challenger, and baby Jessica for sure, no inaugurations of Reagan though.... but I would have been 5?? Definitely one color Oregon trail though!!

My first memory of a big news story other then a hurricane, because my family lived on the gulf coast at the time, was Bill Clinton's winning the 96' election. I remember going and waiting in line with my Mom so she could vote.

A bit more clearly, I remember Diana's death and Clinton's impeachment.

Not really so much as a national memory but more of a personal one. The junior high and High School I went to use to be 7-9 in one building and 10-12 in another on the same campus though. The kids that go their now won't know the set up but the teachers probably do and since many of the kids who go their now have parents who went their the parents do too. 

I was born '87 I see myself more a 90s child than a millennial, I may have only been 12 when the 90s ended but that was the decade that had the biggest impact in my life. I started both primary and high school in that 90s. Major events I can remember the death of Freddie  Mercury, the wars in Bosnia and Kosavo, Dunblane Massacre, Princess Diana dying in Paris and the aftermath. 

On 9/11 I remember coming home from school and turning on BBC 1 expecting to watch cbbc and seeing the images of the towers in flames and asking my sister if this was a disaster movie. It was surreal to watch, I was 14 at the time but I knew this was going to change the world forever. 7/7 I watched unfold on the news as it was happening,  from the initial reports of power surge on the tube. I knew instantly that it was terrorism, the presenters on the news have since said they knew it was terrorism too but their were that many conflicting reports on the number of stations hit that they didn't officially confirm it until they had accurate information.  

As a social sciences student, I'm loving this thread drift. I love hearing other people's personal history moments.

76 here. However, I moved to Latin America as a toddler which skewers things.

Things I remember in random order:

Iran Ayatollah coming to power.
Seeing E.T. In the theater (and the introduction of Reece’s pieces)
Seeing Return of the Jedi in the theater
Princess Diana’s wedding
Bo and Hope’s wedding
The World’s Fair in Knoxville, TN (seared into my brain after we went up to the glass globe restaurant and could not stay to eat because that was how everyone learned I was terrified of heights)
Iran-Contra scandal and Oliver North
Cable TV introduced
TV remotes
Microwave ovens becoming accessible
Challenger but that was middle childhood
Smurfs
My Little Pony
strawberry shortcake
Buck Rogers
Little House on the Prairie as a new series

My grandfather was an early technology adapter. He worked on the second super computer and it was mandatory that his grandchildren learn and adapt to technology. My brother still owns both his Commodore 64 and his commodore 128. I just recently found Lemonade Stand on an app that my 9 year old and I like to play. But my favorite game was Rags to Riches.

Technically I am GenX but I always felt in between and less genuinely GenX myself

Although since becoming an adult, I don’t typically eat a lot of cold cereal anymore, and my kids prefer microwave max&cheese or popcorn for breakfast on school days (I find both disgusting but am more concerned with not sending them to school hungry than what they eat). I have not eaten cereal in a long time. Thanks to this, I had a bowl of Lucky Charms today (or the Aldi’s equivalent anyway).

I was born in 92 and I remember a lot of the Lacey Peterson case, 9/11, Matthew Perrys drug addiction/ other FRIENDS gossip, and lots of Bill Clinton jokes. My mom apparently watched a lot of E!

Over the summer I went to see a broadway musical based on stories of passengers who were stranded in Canada after 9/11. Someone that went with us was only 7 when it happened. She does have a few memories about though but not to the extend the rest of us did. 

1 hour ago, karen77 said:

I'm a '77 gal and I honestly don't remember what my first news memory was!! I remember the challenger, and baby Jessica for sure, no inaugurations of Reagan though.... but I would have been 5?? Definitely one color Oregon trail though!!

1988 Baby here and I agree. I don’t know what my first big news memory is. My Aunt committed suicide right before I turned five though and I remember my dad kind of failing horribly at comforting us because he doesn’t get crying women and children. That would have been in the spring of 1993. 

ETA: And because that sounded super depressing - I also have a clear memory of the first time I saw our first dog in the fall of 1993. He jumped high enough that I saw his face in the window on the kitchen door, I freaked the fuck out, and ran to the stairs to scream that Dad brought home a dog. :pb_lol:

My first newsworthy memory would be the moon landing in 1969.  I was alive when JFK was assassinated but too young to have an actual memory of it.  I don't know why I don't remember the RFK and MLK assassinations -- my parents were liberal democrats who certainly paid attention, but I just don't recall those firsthand.

Once the astronauts were on the moon, I remember going outside and looking at the moon and I was SURE I could see the LEM module moving around with a little US flag flapping on the back...  :my_tongue:

ETA:  I was into board games as a kid, but that didn't carry over into adulthood, with an occasional Scrabble exception.  I was confused for quite a while over the frequent references to Oregon Trail.  I live not too far from the ACTUAL Oregon Trail, but I never heard of the game until I joined fj...  And didn't realize it was popular enough to be the icon of a generation until this thread...

12 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I am very conflicted on wether I would wish the baby to be a boy or a girl. From my very own point of view I would rather be a meek spoiled princess than a manly boy who will have to play football and better be good in it. Second thought- only spoiled princess, meek doesn’t work well with my rather demanding personality....

But to be honest both options are bad. I think a girl at this point might have it a bit easier. [snip]

I think your perspective is correct for the first couple years of a fundie kid's life - being Daddy's (and God's!!!) Little Princess, being doted on and dressed in cute and silly outfits for your mom's Instagram every day, is probably fun. I suspect that little boys probably aren't fussed over as much. However, once you hit age 12-13, little fundie girls are suddenly expected to take on more chores (like meal prep and childcare) in order to cultivate a godly character and prepare for being a ~blessed mama~ someday. Instead of dressup, you have to be sure to dress modestly (and have long shiny hair and a slim attractive figure or else!!) Meanwhile the "young men" are suddenly treated like princes and being assured that they're going to change the world with their future political career/ministry/used car lot

So like, it's probably fun to be a fundie girl for 10 years or so and then it SUCKS.

12 hours ago, Firebird said:

I am understanding from these posts  that cereal is ungodly now? What happened to the verse that all things are lawful and whatnot. How do they get all the wisdom to know which breakfast foods are godly? Please correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly. 

Jeremy doesn't preach that cereal itself is evil, but he says that the way that cereal is marketed to children (with cartoon characters and bright colors) is threatening the sanctity of parental authority because it encourages kids to choose which cereals they want instead of letting parents decide for them?? It's a pretty stupid hill to die on, but that's Jeremy!

I was born in Jan 83, and definitely consider myself an Xennial.  I had a grunge phase in high school, watched Reality Bites as a teen, learned how to touch type as an older teenager from messaging my friends on ICQ, was out of high school and working when 9/11 happened, and didn't get a cell phone at all until my mid-20s.  Facebook started being a thing my last year of college.  

On the other hand I hugely prefer texting to talking on the phone, have never owned a TV as an adult, have had a very prolonged youth/adolescence (I'm still in grad school), lived with my parents on and off till I was in my late 20s, and I was totally shaped by the 2007/8 economic crisis.  

I like my little mini-generation -- I'm glad I got to do my growing up before social media but I notice that I have a much more intuitive grasp of technology than people even 4 or 5 years older than me.  I don't understand Snapchat though, and mostly use the internet through my laptop rather than my phone. I like that I got to run around outside alone throughout my childhood, and didn't even know about things like SAT test prep growing up. But there are things that kids a few years younger than me got that I would have liked -- the HPV vaccine, sex education that taught the importance of consent, the idea that slut-shaming or body-shaming are bad...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived