IGNORED

Jinjer 35: The Baby Wait

Coconut Flan

On 1/11/2018 at 6:06 PM, Four is Enough said:

@Ace3, my now twenty six year old was enamored of an old song called "Little Willie Won't Go Home">.. which as I recall was mildly scatalogical.. he also listened to me pumping out the Prince music when I forgot that little pitchers have big ears...

You'd die to hear your kid sing, "Sexy Muthafucka".. Stick with Johnny Cash!!

Are you by any chance referring to “Little Willy” by Sweet?  I don’t recall it being scatalogical, but there were quite a few double entendres of the penile variety (“With Little Willy ‘round they can last all night”, “Hey down, stay down...”, not to mention the title “Little Willy” itself, as “Willy” is a very common slang term for penis in the United Kingdom, where the band is from).  It’s a glam rock classic (along with Sweet’s other signature song, “Ballroom Blitz”, “Saturday Night” by the Bay City Rollers, and “Get It On” and “21st Century Boy” by T-Rex).

I am now playing “Little Willy” on full blast! :pb_lol:

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/12/2018 at 3:39 AM, MakeItSo said:

Being hard of hearing, I mishear things all the time, not just songs. I can't tell you folks how many times I sat in the cafeteria with friends during my undergrad years and all of a sudden busted out laughing. All the heads would whip around to look at me, and one of the super conservative girls at the table would always go, "whatever you THINK you heard...I didn't say that!" Most of my friends would insist on me telling them what I'd actually heard. Half the time it was just silly stuff, but the other half, of course, was dirty stuff :P  Needless to say, whenever I'm in loud places with people who know ASL, I miss out on the wonderful misheard moments I get to experience with my hearing friends...though my head hurts a little less after and I'm not as exhausted from trying to keep up with conversations in a loud environment. 

As for song lyrics: My family listened to a lot of Michael Jackson when I was little and I remember hearing "The cheedd isn't not my son." This lyric always confused me and for a very long time. It wasn't until I learned how to use the computer and I finally discovered that you could search for song lyrics, that I finally found out the real lyrics. Nowadays, I google song lyrics all the time. I like to understand what I'm listening to and it's hard for me to hear every word correctly, even with good quality headphones. Interestingly, I realized not too long ago that songs in Spanish are a lot easier for me to understand the first time around. I did grow up bilingually but I think it's because of Spanish sounds being more straight forward than English sounds...I dunno but I find it interesting. 

I have mild hearing loss (I do not wear a hearing aid yet but might have to later on in life) and I have produced many funny misheard sentences. Once my husband was saying something but nothing made sense. The phrase I could assemble that made the most sense was: "I have plugged the bat ear from the inside". I knew he didn't say that but I had to repeat the phrase so that he could clarify what he said. I don't remember what he said for real anymore but that phrase has stayed. 

9 hours ago, Snowless said:

a glam rock classic (along with Sweet’s other signature song, “Ballroom Blitz”, “Saturday Night” by the Bay City Rollers, and “Get It On” and “21st Century Boy” by T-Rex)

Yes! Glam rock! Best lyrics ever, lol! These wonderful, inspiring lyrics shall now flit nonstop through my brain today. Earworm! All I need now is a place to go roller skating. :pb_lol: 

"S--A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night" 

"It's, It's a Ballroom blitz, ballroom blitz, ballroom blitz, ballroom blitz....."

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

All I need now is a place to go roller skating

I've been wanting to go roller skating again too. But now I'm afraid it will hurt. lol

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Yes! Glam rock! Best lyrics ever, lol! These wonderful, inspiring lyrics shall now flit nonstop through my brain today. Earworm! All I need now is a place to go roller skating. :pb_lol: 

"S--A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night" 

"It's, It's a Ballroom blitz, ballroom blitz, ballroom blitz, ballroom blitz....."

Many years ago my sister and I were listening to a classic rock station here in Toronto (Q107 for the Torontonions), and the DJ was saying "Call me with requests.  I'll play anything!"  So my sister called and got him on the line, saying "I'd like to hear Saturday Night by The Bay City Rollers", and he laughingly said "I'll play anything but that!  I'd lose my job".

13 hours ago, Snowless said:

Are you by any chance referring to “Little Willy” by Sweet?  I don’t recall it being scatalogical, but there were quite a few double entendres of the penile variety (“With Little Willy ‘round they can last all night”, “Hey down, stay down...”, not to mention the title “Little Willy” itself, as “Willy” is a very common slang term for penis in the United Kingdom, where the band is from).  

That's the one! Good times!

@Four is Enough, there is nothing like a good thumping drum beat and arena-ready chanting and singing along to get a room full of people moving and clapping and having a good time.  If anything, it’s the drums that make glam rock, musically.  I may have to look to the first Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack, because there’s at least a couple of glam rock tracks on there.

7 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've been wanting to go roller skating again too. But now I'm afraid it will hurt. lol

I find this is one of the saddest part about getting older. There’s lots of things I did without any fear when I was younger but now I’m just to aware of the risks. 

Now I sound like an old lady that’s afraid to break her hip bone. But honestly, I’m a bit afraid to break my hip bone. I’m sure that really, really hurts. 

On 1/10/2018 at 10:00 AM, MayMay1123 said:

to be fair, no one could really know wth kurt cobain was singing without reading the lyrics... one of my favorites is manfred mann- blinded by the light- “wrapped up like a douche, you’re rollin’ in the night” instead of  "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night.” :lol:

I always wondered what that line was.  It still doesn't make sense even with the lyrics!

34 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I always wondered what that line was.  It still doesn't make sense even with the lyrics!

The line, according to the song’s writer Bruce Springsteen, is about hot rodding (“deuce” as in a “deuce coupe”).  Most of the song itself is about coming of age and teenage love and sex.  Springsteen, to this day, jokes that “it didn’t become popular until Manfred Mann rewrote it about a feminine hygiene product.” :pb_lol:

In case you haven’t noticed, I am a major music nerd.

Okay, additional thread drift time! Anybody else think Jeremy looks just like the character Ash Tyler from Star Trek Discovery?We were watching the latest episode last night and I could barely hold it in, but my husband would just have looked at me like "Who the hell is Jeremy Vuolo???" :pb_lol:

Spoiler

image.png.915af42fad245e1f71d3caa38387511e.png

23 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

Okay, additional thread drift time! Anybody else think Jeremy looks just like the character Ash Tyler from Star Trek Discovery?We were watching the latest episode last night and I could barely hold it in, but my husband would just have looked at me like "Who the hell is Jeremy Vuolo???" :pb_lol:

I don't see it, but I know what you mean about, "Who the hell is Jeremy Vuolo???" I don't know a single person IRL who watches the show, and most of the people I know probably wouldn't even immediately recognize the name 'Duggar' if I said it. I mentioned them once in passing conversation and my friend actually looked uncomfortable. I could see her feeling sorry for me for being interested in such an uninteresting family. It was awkward.

28 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

Reveal hidden contents

Further drift time! How is Discovery? I'm a big Trek fan, but I think Enterprise was an abomination, and the less said about the current movies the better. I'm a big fan of continuity, and the complete disregard for same those showed made them unwatchable for me. 

2 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Hide contents

image.png.915af42fad245e1f71d3caa38387511e.png

oh my god, it's Clem Fandango!

Haha, misheard lyrics are brilliant, often they would make more sense or at least be better poetry than the inane dribble a lot of the originals are. I remember my friend really insisted it was a "sex dream" even after I explained what a six-string was... Good times!

As to the thread-drift-before-the-thread-drift, I detest hockey. Sorry. I can also report that a friend of mine went to school with Teemu Selänne who was an asshole of the highest order already back then. Now of course he is known for supporting Trump - no surprise there.

40 minutes ago, MadameOvary said:

I remember my friend really insisted it was a "sex dream" even after I explained what a six-string was... Good times

It's even funnier when I remember that the next line is, "...at the five and dime." So, I start wondering, who has their first real sex dream at a store that was the equivalent of a modern dollar store? :pb_lol:

On 1/15/2018 at 2:51 AM, LaPeleona said:

A little late to the discussion but Despacito is tame when it comes to Reggaeton. Try "Diles" or "La Ocasión" for comparison.

Not quite the same, but I was a big fan of the song "Beware of the Boys (Mundian To Bach Khe)" by Punjabi MC (which at this point is used as "generic Indian song" in movie trailers, etc.), and I thought "beware of the boys" meant "beware of us, because we're badasses and we'll kick your ass", but the translated lyrics are telling a girl to dress modestly and keep her eyes down because all the boys want to get with her. Whatever, the beat is still awesome. It's like how I feel about The Weeknd; his lyrics are pretty problematic (trust me, girl, you wanna be high for this), but he has the voice of angels and the songs are so freaking good (seriously, if you think he's just some pop sensation who sings with Ariana Grande, just take a listen to Montreal, House of Balloons/Glass Table Girls, In The Night, or Wicked Games). 

3 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I don't see it, but I know what you mean about, "Who the hell is Jeremy Vuolo???" I don't know a single person IRL who watches the show, and most of the people I know probably wouldn't even immediately recognize the name 'Duggar' if I said it. I mentioned them once in passing conversation and my friend actually looked uncomfortable. I could see her feeling sorry for me for being interested in such an uninteresting family. It was awkward.

Imagine if you mentioned families that are even more boring - "yeah this family the Maxwell's, they hate fun and constantly just read the Bible and clean their ceiling fans." This is why I keep my fundie obsessions a secret from everyone except my husband...

Sometimes I'll be reading fj in bed, and my partner will wonder what I'm giggling at. I'm embarassed to admit exactly what it is, so I'm slightly evasive.

My colleague at work who come from Northwest Arkansas thinks my fascination with the Duggars is hilarious. Half of what I know about that part of the world comes from this board, she fills me in on the hidden pockets of radical leftist hippie queers who do circus arts (they DO exist in NWA). My colleague looks a bit like a cross between Jana and Kendra, but has a head tattoo.

33 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Sometimes ill3be reading fj in bed, and my partnerwill wonder what I'm giggling at. I'm embarassed to admit exactly what it is, so I'm slightly evasive.

My colleague at work who come from Northwest Arkansas thinks my fascination with the Duggars is hilarious. Half of what I know about that part of the world comes from this board, she fills me in on the hidden pockets of radical leftist hippie queers who do circus arts (they DO exist in NWA). My colleague looks a bit like a cross between Jana and Kendra, but has a head tattoo.

Same- Its odd to admit your part of LJ and explain what that is to an outsider. Their first perspective is, "wow you must be an obsessed super fan". And then you try to explain that this isn't a fansite-- it's to discuss the horrible lifestyle and what not. And then they jump to the other extreme of "oh you're obsessed and stalking them like trolls".

No. Just... no.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Sometimes I'll be reading fj in bed, and my partner will wonder what I'm giggling at. I'm embarassed to admit exactly what it is, so I'm slightly evasive.

My husband knows I come on here. His new favorite thing is to jokingly ask if we’ve, “Freed her yet,” whenever he sees me on my phone. He also still finds it hysterical that I thought Jinger was pronounced like Jingle bells. 

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

When I get caught giggling, I never admit that it's from this site. I tell my kids it was something funny I read "in my theology group." I do this in conversation, too. When I'm paraphrasing information from this group, I'll say, "one of the ladies from my theology group said..."

I guess that sounds really boring because nobody has ever asked for more info or to join. 

8 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

At least you have us! :my_heart:

I love George Michael and in my early 20's always listened to him! One day I heard my then 3 year old (he's 25 now!) Singing " I Want Your Six". I about died laughing!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived