IGNORED

“Raw Water” is the Hot New Thing

Cleopatra7

1 hour ago, Zola said:

Never mind that humans are not fish - we were invincible, immortal, untouchable at that age. I wonder if these people drinking raw water feel the same way.

I was thinking the same thing. If the primary audience of this concoction is Silicon Valley types, then most of the consumers are probably in their 20s and 30s (ie the physical prime of life). Other might be ex-hippies of the Steve Jobs age  cohort who have been into “natural living” for decades and view this as a logical next step. Hopefully, nobody who is really sick will drink this swill, although it probably won’t be long until “raw water” becomes the new quack treatment for autism, cancer, AIDS, etc. But then again, waterborne diseases like cholera and dysentery can kill the fittest Olympian, although being generally healthy can skewer one’s risk assessment skills.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I was thinking "monsters inside me!"

That show is horrific!  After watching a few, I can't anymore.  I'm too scared to.  Gah!  #saynotorawwater

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The articles I’ve read about “raw water” indicate that the primary audience are highly educated yuppies, especially those in Silicon Valley and other West Coast enclaves, who are interested in raw foods and “natural living.” This means that these people are highly educated, at least in the sense of having advanced degrees, and many probably do have science backgrounds. However, they probably also have an inflated sense of their own intelligence and a strong believe in the power of the “natural” over the “chemical.” Never mind that water is a chemical. The same appears to be true of the demographic background on anti-vaxxers.

“Inflated sense of their own intelligence”...love it. So true.

Natural things are always the best. Like dysentery and the plague.

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/raw-water-latest-dangerous-natural-health-fad/

Plus, the company recommends you consume it within on "lunar cycle." Or it will turn green. Oh, and it's about $15/gallon. What a scam.

Wait. Some whackadoodle said water needs a certain amount of E. coli/feces to be pure?? Did I read that correctly? And lunar cycle?? Is this werewolf water? Like if I consume it during a full moon will I turn into a werewolf? 

36 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I was thinking the same thing. If the primary audience of this concoction is Silicon Valley types, then most of the consumers are probably in their 20s and 30s (ie the physical prime of life). Other might be ex-hippies of the Steve Jobs age  cohort who have been into “natural living” for decades and view this as a logical next step. Hopefully, nobody who is really sick will drink this swill, although it probably won’t be long until “raw water” becomes the new quack treatment for autism, cancer, AIDS, etc. But then again, waterborne diseases like cholera and dysentery can kill the fittest Olympian, although being generally healthy can skewer one’s risk assessment skills.

Oh fuck, I’m in the physical prime of my life now? 

5 hours ago, Elegant Mess said:

I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't find some way to market this via Goop!  :pb_lol:

It's only $50 a quart and we recommend using it in your vaginal steamer and for washing your jade eggs! 

2 hours ago, Beermeet said:

That show is horrific!  After watching a few, I can't anymore.  I'm too scared to.  Gah!  #saynotorawwater

I love that show, and can't wait for the new season.  #weird 

(For me, it's like rubbernecking a car accident--you know you shouldn't gawk, but you can't look away.)

I tend to think of it as a problem of facts and education, but I’m realizing slowly that it is way more about the culture and the way people feel. I’m someone who’s suffered with a chronic illness, albeit a mild one, but I have felt abandoned by medical science having no explanation for my symptoms and little interest in helping me with them, or so it felt. As time has gone on I’ve come to realize that yes, doctors and nurses are human and make mistakes, and yes our knowledge is limited, but that doesn’t mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater and say to hell with it all. But some people who take their health for granted will talk my ear off about “natural” remedies no matter what. 

I don’t understand people.

2 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Uhm... 

I am channeling The Lorax and people peddling air. 

Oxygen bars are a thing. 

It's a status symbol for the rich. They can't just be "natural" they have to pay a lot for their naturalness, or it doesn't count. Otherwise they'd just drive a few blocks to the local park and stick a water bottle in a stream.

On 1/5/2018 at 12:56 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

The articles I’ve read about “raw water” indicate that the primary audience are highly educated yuppies, especially those in Silicon Valley and other West Coast enclaves, who are interested in raw foods and “natural living.” This means that these people are highly educated, at least in the sense of having advanced degrees, and many probably do have science backgrounds. However, they probably also have an inflated sense of their own intelligence and a strong believe in the power of the “natural” over the “chemical.” Never mind that water is a chemical. The same appears to be true of the demographic background on anti-vaxxers.

But is it organic?  Paleo?  Vegan?  Those are the buzzwords people look for on the label.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:53 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

There are numerous criticisms one can make about bottled water, but at least you can be sure that it probably won’t kill you. The same can’t be said for “raw water,” the newest trend for the bright young things of the twentieth century:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/science-and-health/2018/1/4/16846048/raw-water-trend-silicon-valley

”Raw water” is basically just untreated water. I suppose advocates think they’re getting fresh, clean waster from some picturesque stream out of a postcard, but more likely than not, untreated water contains numerous pathogens from both human and animal waste, not to mention parasites. In essence, the rich and useless are paying premium dollars to do what billions of poor people around the world must do because they have no choice (ie knowingly drink contaiminated water. It will only be a matter of time before we hear about some rich person dying of dysentery or an amoeba infection because they craved the “mouthfeel” of dirty water.

Oh deer dear Rufus P.T Barnum was right. Who in their right mind would think drinking untreated water is a good thing. I suppose dysentery is a great way to have a cleanse and drop weight.  Sad thing is I know a woman who would fall for this in a New York minute. She is always jumping from one scam to another thinking it will solve her problems. Drives me nuts as she likes to dominate any conversation with her new 'discovery'. She is really into oils and what ever new MLM which comes down the pike.  

17 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Oh deer dear Rufus P.T Barnum was right. Who in their right mind would think drinking untreated water is a good thing. I suppose dysentery is a great way to have a cleanse and drop weight.  Sad thing is I know a woman who would fall for this in a New York minute. She is always jumping from one scam to another thinking it will solve her problems. Drives me nuts as she likes to dominate any conversation with her new 'discovery'. She is really into oils and what ever new MLM which comes down the pike.  

The sad thing is that sudden bouts of diarrhea and vomiting will be easily rationalized as “Your body is cleansing itself of all those ~toxins~!”

1 hour ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

The sad thing is that sudden bouts of diarrhea and vomiting will be easily rationalized as “Your body is cleansing itself of all those ~toxins~!”

Nobody tell JRod about this!!

If anyone is interested, the podcast Sawbones has a fascinating new epsiode about “raw water” and why it is insane in the context of human history. I found it enjoyable and thought I’d share. 

Archived