IGNORED

Seewalds 29: Still Marketing Cute Kids

Coconut Flan

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I REALLY wish I could ask her HOW she does her loose waves????  Any stylish FJers want to clue me in on how they think she does this?

She once did a hair tutorial (using Jill's hair) if that helps!

My biggest fear hands down is needles!  I can't even get a finger prick blood test without panicking and couldn't get myself to get my ears pierced until I was almost 21 and that was with medication.  I know there's next to no risk, but I just can't get myself to calm down around them. 

Fun story: my mom's a doctor and used to get a few flu shots to bring home to give to us.  There were a few years where I hid the vaccines behind some food in the fridge that no one would eat so that I would avoid getting a flu shot, all because of the needle.

I was a bit freaked out by spiders until I saw a spider eating a centipede in my bathroom.  Ever since then, I've let spiders live unless they were a direct "threat" to me (like in my bed or dangerous-looking).  I'd rather have a small house spider lurking in the corner of the room I'm in than a centipede running around.

19 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I have to hand it to Jessa. I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Jessa manages to look extremely polished, put-together, have perfect hair, and just all over beautiful despite possibly being pregnant and a young mom of 2 babies!

I REALLY wish I could ask her HOW she does her loose waves????  Any stylish FJers want to clue me in on how they think she does this?

preggo.JPG

I'm going to bounce off your comment just to say that I've been noticing how beautiful Jessa has been looking lately. I mean, she's always been a beautiful woman, but for a while she often seemed like she was trying too hard and looked smug in her pictures. Now, she's gone with a more natural look and has genuine smiles that reach her eyes. She just looks sincerely happy lately. Here's one of the pictures where I really noticed it:IMG_9385.PNG.158afae67d1cc0fc25b229477ef12d9a.PNG

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Jessa will anounce next month. Maybe in time for St. Valentine's Day. 

In time for the new season, I bet.

I’m definitely jumping on the Jessa is pregnant train. I’m sure the thought of a bump picture with Jinger would make her very happy.

If you want to get technical, there could be five new Duggar babies next year and it would still be true that there are three new babies... it's just that there aren't only three new babies.

It's like that question: Which month has 28 days?

Spoiler

They all do!

As I said earlier - there could, conceivably (HAH!), be ELEVEN Duggar babies, if we have a few quickie weddings. lol

Or multiple, multiple births. !

@allthegoodnamesrgone out of curiosity was it the fact that the dog was in a grocery store, the dog was in a store where dogs weren't allowed or that the dog was in a store period that bugged you? I only ask because I've recently found out that a handful of stores (Canadian Tire, Michael's and Bass Pro Shop to be specific) are supposedly pet friendly and I've considered calling to double check and if they are possibly bringing the pooch next time we have errands to run. But I'm still sort of conflicted. 

(Let me be perfectly clear I would never bring him somewhere where dogs aren't allowed/shouldn't be. But he's not fussy on dog parks so I'm always looking for places to bring him so he can get some exploring/enrichment in. Do if I find a store that's dog friendly it seems like a great chance to give him a new experience that he wouldn't usually get.) 

Fears (in no particular order)

Sharks, crocodiles, alligators, "squeezie snakes", bridges, over passes (being both on and under them), some heights (depends on the structure and fall prevention systems in place), flying over water

Additional things that make me nervous but aren't quite fears 

Crabs (the animal), ice on sidewalks (I start visualizing all the ways I could fall and injure myself and have to force myself to walk), crowded spaces, being under any type of roadway  (my university had a tunnel under a major road). 

I'm kind of a nervous person, I also startle really easily and have an exaggerated startle reflex (I had to explain this to someone once and they adamantly believed that a startle reflex wasn't a thing) 

The funny thing is I'm not what you would picture as nervous, I love trying new things and like adventure. I just am very selective about what type of things are safe haha. 

I remember someone mentioning in the last thread that they were afraid of mascots. One of the residences at my university had a rooster (well technically a cock) as a mascot, poor thing was the most unassuming mascot I've ever seen. It was almost kind of cute. 

1 hour ago, LacyMay said:

I'm kind of a nervous person, I also startle really easily and have an exaggerated startle reflex (I had to explain this to someone once and they adamantly believed that a startle reflex wasn't a thing) 

Oh my god I startle over every little thing. I had to fiddle with the volume on my work phone for months because the ringing would startle me (it still kinda does). I once practically jumped 10 feet in the air because my boss tapped me on the shoulder while I was working. I had people ask me if I had PTSD because I startle so easily; nope, I just get into a zone very easily when I'm focused on something, and I have a crazy startle reflex. And that's not how PTSD is, guys. 

Of course, this was really bad when some of my middle school students got wind of my startle reflex, and decided that they could get hours of entertainment by sneaking up on me and screaming in my ear. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I just get into a zone very easily when I'm focused on something, and I have a crazy startle reflex.

Oh SAME. The start is generally accompanied by a squawk or squeak. 

3 hours ago, LacyMay said:

out of curiosity was it the fact that the dog was in a grocery store, the dog was in a store where dogs weren't allowed or that the dog was in a store period that bugged you?

I'm not @allthegoodnamesrgone, but I'd like to weigh in on this. I was bitten in the face by a friend's dog (in MY OWN HOUSE) several years ago. I don't like dogs - I guess it's more that I don't trust them. Any of them. It irritates the hell out of me that people take their dogs "just because they can" to stores that aren't pet-oriented. I mean  -- WHY? What is the point? I don't haul my cat everywhere (THAT would be a disaster - HAHAHA), and there were times I didn't even take my kid with me (she had a sitter). Many of the dogs I've encountered in Home Depot, Bass Pro, Walmart, etc., are what I would consider  to be aggressive - meaning, they look at me with THAT look in their eyes, or they rush toward me for (presumably) pets. No. I'm not petting your dog, person - please keep it next to you.

Further:  we had a dog on our flight out of NYC last week that barked every.single.minute of the trip.

That’s my thought exactly on bringing dogs everywhere. I wouldn’t bring my cat so why should people bring their dogs. You may think your dog is the best ever but not everyone does. It annoys me almost as people smoking in public. What the hell makes you think people around you want to smell that and be subjected to second hand smoke. If you can’t be out in public without lighting up stay at home. 

Regarding dogs out in public. I love my dogs, but I don't bring them everywhere with me. Why not? I don't trust other humans around my dogs (when you have a fluffy dog, people just want to pet it...and assume it is friendly because of the fluff),  people have allergies to animals, not everyone likes dog hair, people are afraid of dogs, and you never know when your normally calm dog could get spooked by some stranger (don't pet my dogs before asking please!) and then something unfortunate happens. Also I have a little dog who I am his person, and sometimes I just need a break from my shadow, and running out to the store dog free does that! lol!( @Knight of Ni I like your analogy of smoking/pets.)

Dogs out and about in public don't bother me. I do think some of it has gotten a bit out of control... In my state (FL) it is pretty easy for people to bring their dogs just about anywhere and pass them off as a service dog even if they're not. So sometimes I see a dog in a place like a shopping mall and go "Why though?" But it doesn't personally bother me unless the dog is aggressive or something. A lot of dogs are better behaved than people's kids :pb_lol:

I love dogs and always want to have mine with me, but bringing dogs into stores like Target or a mall is just absurd. You never know who is extremely allergic to dogs, and they deserve to be able to shop more than your pet deserves to be in the store. If people want to bring their dogs with them so badly, the should follow New York's subway rule-- have the dog in a bag. It's led to some funny pictures of big dogs in backpacks :pb_lol:

@Eternalbluepearl I’m the opposite. I grew up with a deep fear of dogs, and have grown out of most of it in recent years. I’m still uneasy around most dogs but won’t run away. It really annoys me when people either refuse to put their dogs away when you visit (after you expressed your discomfort beforehand) or when people walk their dogs/have them in public spaces without leashes. Like, I’m glad you trust your dog, but I don’t. 

I’m still astonished at how forward people are (especially in America) with dogs they don’t know. I see it as a lack of self-preservation. And I like cats even less.

For phobias: I have a huge phobia of frogs and vomit. I hate most insects and rodents. And wobbly ceiling fans freak me out (it’s a long story)

I like dogs and I am not afraid of them, however I still am uneasy when I see them in stores. Mostly because sometimes the dog looks annoyed, like it doesn't want to be there and it's just the silly human parading it around. Poor things! I also agree on the allergy factor, humans are more important! 

This reminds me of the people who try to bring their dogs into my church's food fest.  There's food everywhere, it's crowded, there are small children everywhere, and it's at a *church*. I'm not a dog expert, but it's not the best environment for keeping a dog calm.  People STILL get mad when we tell them up front that the only dogs allowed in are service dogs.

16 minutes ago, potato said:

only dogs allowed in are service dogs.

Which has resulted in the abuse of the service animal "system." I've seen SO MANY dogs in "emotional support" vests in restaurants, grocery stores, etc. And it's not just dogs. I've seen hamsters, guinea pigs, and even a hedgehog as an "emotional support animal."

@LacyMay I'm not sure what bugged me about it so much that particular time, I'm normally a MYOB kind of person, but there is a large sign on the door that says CERTIFIED SERVICE DOGS ONLY, and this woman just ignored it.  And it was a very large dog, looked like a lab/husky mix dog that was not muzzled and was a long loose leash, that was just asking for trouble IMO.  I think the blatant disregard of posted signs, and the general 'rules are for YOU not me' attitude that too many people have just flipped my bitch switch that day.  I expect dogs in PetStores, and at outdoor events, in parks on the side walk on the beach, etc, that doesn't bug me. But I hardly doubt dogs love going to the mall or the grocery store, though I would rather see dogs IN Target than dogs locked in cars outside of Target on a miserably hot or freezing cold day.

@Gillyweed I LOVE the pics of dogs in bags, cracks me the hell up.

9 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Which has resulted in the abuse of the service animal "system." I've seen SO MANY dogs in "emotional support" vests in restaurants, grocery stores, etc. And it's not just dogs. I've seen hamsters, guinea pigs, and even a hedgehog as an "emotional support animal."

My brother works in Disability Services for a local University and  helped them figure out how to best comply with service animal regulations and rules. He’s explained just how important service animals can really be and I’m a big supporter, but I do think there needs to be more consistent rules and criteria that need to be met (or at least much better enforcement of current laws.) People who don’t have an actual need for a service animal shouldn’t be able to abuse the idea so easily because it makes people like you feel unsafe and it delegitimizes the entire concept. 

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@LacyMay I'm not sure what bugged me about it so much that particular time, I'm normally a MYOB kind of person, but there is a large sign on the door that says CERTIFIED SERVICE DOGS ONLY, and this woman just ignored it.  And it was a very large dog, looked like a lab/husky mix dog that was not muzzled and was a long loose leash, that was just asking for trouble IMO.  I think the blatant disregard of posted signs, and the general 'rules are for YOU not me' attitude that too many people have just flipped my bitch switch that day.  I expect dogs in PetStores, and at outdoor events, in parks on the side walk on the beach, etc, that doesn't bug me. But I hardly doubt dogs love going to the mall or the grocery store, though I would rather see dogs IN Target than dogs locked in cars outside of Target on a miserably hot or freezing cold day.

@Gillyweed I LOVE the pics of dogs in bags, cracks me the hell up.

I have a pretty rambunctious 40 pound beagle mix. She LOVES people and visiting new places, but we don’t bring her into stores unless we know it’s a pet friendly institute, like a pet store. We’ve been told by employees at Lowe’s that well behaved pets are welcomed there, but we haven’t brought her because she gets too excited and might get hurt. 

I do fully agree though about not leaving animals in cars. Either take your pet home or make sure someone else is able to sit in the car (with A/C or heat on) while you run a quick errand. Leaving them alone in a car without heat or A/C shouldn’t be an option ever, but bringing them in with you should be the last option you choose if the other two aren’t possible for some reason. 

And for the love of God, if a pet owner says don’t pet my dog or is attempting to get their dog away from your dog DO NOT CONTINUE COMING CLOSER! My dog is super loving and friendly, but she also got very protective of me when I was pregnant and she’s pretty protective of my daughter when unknown dogs are around. Nothing flips my bitch switch faster than someone not taking a hint and insisting on letting their dog get close to mine. 

I'd love it if GENUINE service dogs got a license from the state. Not emotional support dogs (which are not protected in public places anyway), but genuine, working service dogs. 

It wouldn't say anything about the condition or what the dog does, so it would actually give people MORE privacy than they have currently, but it would be something the state could vet and demand proof for.

Then if there is any question about whether the dog is a working animal or not, a business owner could just ask to check the license. 

3 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

And for the love of God, if a pet owner says don’t pet my dog or is attempting to get their dog away from your dog DO NOT CONTINUE COMING CLOSER! My dog is super loving and friendly, but she also got very protective of me when I was pregnant and she’s pretty protective of my daughter when unknown dogs are around. Nothing flips my bitch switch faster than someone not taking a hint and insisting on letting their dog get close to mine. 

I have a little 12 lb terrier Chihuahua mix, she was always excitable and prone to nipping, so we always had her muzzled in public for HER safety.  She's a little bitty dog who thinks she's a big bad ass dog, and she LOVES her humans.  She's now also 16 years old and a very cranky old thing, she loves to go for car rides still but loathes her long walks in the park, so we don't take her to the park anymore, we'll take her in the car if we are going to a drive through but that is about it.  We don't take her to petco or the farmers market either she's developed an intolerance for other dogs and just gets angry, she only has like 10 teeth and they are dull AF but she still growls. She's most happy in her chair with her blanket or her favorite humans lap (that being my 17 yr old DD) or in the warm sun on a bed of pine needles that have just fallen from our 4 huge pine trees.  We treat her like the cranky old lady she is, we've had her since she was 6 months old and DD was 2 so it will be very hard when we have to put her down or she dies.

@Georgiana Emotional Support dogs are tricky, there are LEGTIMATE reasons to have an emotional support animal, children on the spectrum, PTSD sufferers, people with severe anxiety, these people have reals reasons and these animals are just as necessary as seeing eye dogs. That said too many people are abusing the need for emotional support animals because it is harder to prove an invisible need.  But just because we can't see that disability/need doesn't mean it isn't real.  It is literally in a persons head, but very very real.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived