IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 2: On to the Honeymoon Somewhere Warm

Coconut Flan

24 minutes ago, lilith said:

I’m impressed that Chelsy made that dress - that’s some real skill.

All of the outfits show a bit of a seamstress eye.  I'm impressed.  They are not "designer" gowns like I guess the Duggars had. 

They are still legitimately fashionable.  I would have been more than proud to have had these gowns at my wedding.  ESPECIALLY if anyone I knew had sewn them.  

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@catlady don't worry that's not the wrong date, that's the Australian date!

@VBOY9977 the lens flare on that first pic...

@ no one in particular: scrotal ultrasounds aren't as fun as they... sound.

Old age & overweight has made barefootin’ a pleasant memory only — but I personally think Chesty was wrong to eschew shoes. 

Why? Because she galumphed around the stage and up and down the stairs. Not easy to move gracefully in a lot of skirts, on a hard floor, barefoot. Ask me, I know! 

*shrug* Her choice.  Maybe the two of them have a foot thing. Like his parents have a dong thing!

Last snark from the bug’s nest: she forgot to add a button and loop to her train, so in the snapshots she’s shlepping an armful of fabric. Shlep & galumph, Chesty!  And keep your ears open for business opportunities in Iowa for your headship. If you stay in Kansas too long, you’ll soon be shlepping & galumphing like you never thought possible!

I don’t hate the bridesmaid’s dresses, they are a nice colour and they seem to fit well. I am not a big fan of Chelsey’s, except for the sleeves.

I go barefoot a lot, most Kiwis do, but I don’t understand why she would, in the middle of winter, when no one else seems to. Did she secretly want a Fijii wedding?

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Last snark from the bug’s nest: she forgot to add a button and loop to her train, so in the snapshots she’s shlepping an armful of fabric. Shlep & galumph, Chesty!  And keep your ears open for business opportunities in Iowa for your headship. If you stay in Kansas too long, you’ll soon be shlepping & galumphing like you never thought possible!

I can't snark on this. At my wedding the buttons malfunctioned and the train fell back down and I ended up shlepping an armful of fabric too, because it was either that or stop everything and get someone to button it back up.

I do like Chelsy's dress, but I was hoping she would lighten up a bit on the eyeliner and alas, she did not.

Here's hoping that Sarah met a nice, ex-Amish bachelor farmer at the reception.

All I can say re Chelsy’s dress in that she’s one of the few women who look great in an empire line dress... although realistically she probably looks good in most styles.

2 hours ago, terranova said:

I go barefoot a lot, most Kiwis do, but I don’t understand why she would, in the middle of winter, when no one else seems to. Did she secretly want a Fijii wedding?

Me neither. I mean I'm barefoot now but it's considerably warmer here than in Iowa!! I'm thinking she wanted Hawaii and was vetoed... pity, that would have made for lovely photos!

Speaking of photos - well at least in the third one you could actually see the dress and not just the light flare. Very pretty, even though she seems to be leaning in every photo. Is she very tall? Perhaps the barefoot thing was to guarantee she would be shorter than most of the groomsmen.

Also @NachosFlandersStyle - google falcon and wedding... you too can have your live bird of prey! Might need to be a destination wedding though, heh.

6 hours ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Were those pics taken after the ceremony? I notice that John does not have a wedding ring on in the first one.

the clock in the first one (upper right corner) appears to read 1:30, so i'd say before.  it can't be 2:30 since they were discussing Steve's balls by then.  

I wish the sash/cummerbund thing wasn't quite so wide (how pretty would it look if it were a slightly thinner satin ribbon -- as it is it kinda cuts her off at the waist, which is amplified by the dress being too long for her; it's all a very stumpifying effect), but her dress is gorgeous. I'm not a big fan of super-blingy dresses, but the sparkles on this are right up my alley. I think the bare feet could have worked with the elven princess vibe I get from the dress if the dress had been hemmed properly, it had been warmer outside, and had John not scooped her up during the recessional, causing her to give everyone in the pews a face full of feet. 

Well the marriage has been consummated and the honeymoon schedule should have them waking up for private time in The Word about now.  Unless John really is a rebel and is enjoying the first unscheduled day of his life.

How sad that this may be his first ever opportunity to enjoy something as simple as sleeping in. 

She said she's a farm girl and she's used to going barefoot. It would have worked just fine if she had gotten married Labor Day weekend on the farm like her brothers. It would have made sense. Sparkly ballet flats would have been so cute. 

36 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I wish the sash/cummerbund thing wasn't quite so wide (how pretty would it look if it were a slightly thinner satin ribbon -- as it is it kinda cuts her off at the waist, which is amplified by the dress being too long for her; it's all a very stumpifying effect), but her dress is gorgeous. I'm not a big fan of super-blingy dresses, but the sparkles on this are right up my alley. I think the bare feet could have worked with the elven princess vibe I get from the dress if the dress had been hemmed properly, it had been warmer outside, and had John not scooped her up during the recessional, causing her to give everyone in the pews a face full of feet. 

Agreed! The sash/cummerbund is too heavy, and the top bodice is too big for her. It may have been nicer to use a lighter fabric up top. That fabric is great for the skirt, but the fabric looks too heavy for all those pleats on the top. 

Not a fan of the BM dresses. Did she make those too? They look like really cheap fabric, and remind me of the poor quality of dresses that Jessa picked for her BMs. While I totally understand the modesty panel, they should have purchased an extra dress (or extra long dresses and used part of the hem) to have a matching modesty panel.  A belt or sash to hide the elastic gathering would have gone a long way, too. Then they could have made the modesty panel using the same fabric as the sash.

1 minute ago, moreorlessnu said:

Not a fan of the BM dresses. Did she make those too? They look like really cheap fabric, and remind me of the poor quality of dresses that Jessa picked for her BMs. While I totally understand the modesty panel, they should have purchased an extra dress (or extra long dresses and used part of the hem) to have a matching modesty panel.  A belt or sash to hide the elastic gathering would have gone a long way, too. Then they could have made the modesty panel using the same fabric as the sash.

Yeah, it's one thing to find your bridesmaid dresses at Forever21, but it's another to LOOK like you found your bridesmaid dresses at Forever21. 

I actually really love this dress, especially because I'm a fan of all-lace (my own dress was all-lace too). I like the sparkle, I like the hair, I like the flower crown, I agree she should have toned down the eyeliner, and I seriously dislike the bare feet. Seeing the picture of her standing on the tile - aren't her feet freezing? It'll be interesting to see if they did any snowy shots outside and photos of their departure, she had to wear shoes for that, right? Probably some boots?

I also agree with someone else that her wedding doesn't feel as much like a winter wedding as a spring one. But I imagine a lot of these brides who want a certain season and look can't wait long enough for the season they want, so just make it work in the short timeframe they have. Maybe some like Tori and Whitney Bates were excited to embrace a winter look (though I remember Whitney originally having a Pinterest board of bright pink flowers, maybe she had to cancel that) while ones like Chelsy said screw it, I'm getting my spring wedding even if I'm not allowed more than a three month engagement.

I'm not a fan of the dress, but I am impressed that she made it. I agree the band is too wide and would have been nice with some sort of sash. The bodice is too much fabric, too. But hell if I could do any better. 

I like the bridesmaid dresses and I imagine they were chosen so the bridesmaids could use them again. Which, I would bet that the bridesmaids from Chelsy's side will, but none of the Maxwellian bridesmaids will. I do think they should have added something to them, though, as on their own they are rather plane. A sash would have been nice. 

I thought the hair and the flowers were nice, the dress was so-so and I agree that the band is the problem. Without it or with a thinner band it would be a good but not very inventive dress. I am very fond of bare feet but I think that at your wedding unless it is a superhippie/beach wedding you wear shoes. Just a very simple flat shoe would have been so much better. In winter too, I wonder if her dream wedding was more of a summer wedding and this is why we see this weirdness with no shoes. I hope they have a wonderful honeymoon. John's clothes were nice, not very inventive perhaps but he looked like a real groom and not too informal. The bridesmaids' dresses were fine but would have been better with a matching panel.

The not decorated church is not something that is a problem for me, in my country most people don't decorate their church very much during weddings. No wedding I have been to has had more decorations than a couple of birch trees by the entrance of the church. At a winter wedding there might be some spruce twigs or so instead but I have only been to one winter wedding and they had no decorations at all. Usually churches are not that heavily decorated for Christmas either, usually only a Christmas tree with lights only and two vases of red flowers on the altar. We had no decorations on our wedding other than the flowers that were already on the altar as decoration for the regular service. 

But the vasectomy at the wedding WTF??? That is disgusting, a wedding does not include the father of the groom's reproductive organs regardless how interesting they might be to you, that is just common decency. And, yes, even fundies should know better than that...

I imagine the BM dresses were chosen because so many bridesmaids were pregnant. It's stretchy material with an empire waist and a long skirt. Basically perfect for pregnant bridesmaids. 

In terms of decor, here's a comparison to Bryn and Mitchell's wedding. Even a few small lanterns is a world of difference in my opinion. I'm surprised the church didn't already have some poinsettias or a Christmas tree that could have been incorporated.

With Bryn's red and pink flower scheme and the lanterns, it almost seems like she had the December wedding and Chelsy the September one.

tumblr_p1sj52l0Db1uipssao1_1280.jpg

Screenshot_20171231-083923.png

I agree that the church was oddly lacking in decorations for Christmas. The baptist church I attended all my childhood would have some sort of Christmas/winter decorations still up on Dec 30th. Wreaths, garland, candles, poinsettias, and bows would be used for decorations. 

I thought the wedding was perfect for Chelsy and John.  The singing was a sweet touch with Chelsy playing the piano and John at her side. I thought the comment Chelsy’s dad made at the start of his sermon embracing John as another son were so sweet and filled with a lot of love.  

I cannot believe Chelsy made her wedding dress.  All I can say is wow!  

The bridesmaid dresses worked given all the different sizes of woman she needed to be dress and Steve’s bizarre modest standards.  

The vasectomy talk was crude at best.  I can only imagine what the Mennonite side of the family thought as Steve thrust his chest out in pride. (Isn’t pride a sin?) If anything was to be said it could have been “Teri and I are so thrilled we expanded our family after the original 3.  We could not imagine our lives without the beautiful children God blessed us with.” Steve is a crass man with no manners.  If there was vasactemoy talk at my wedding our priest would have cut him off and shown him his seat in the church hall. 

Chelsy and John got married the way they wanted to, bare feet and all.  I am glad John finally got to have a moment in his life where he could be himself.  

I have said it before and I will say it again: if Steve is an ass to Chelsy they will be gone.   John is the only child smart enough to question his father’s opinions & proclamations.   

I hope Chelsy and John have many wonderful years together as they embark upon the journey of married life.  

PS:  The only thing I would have changed is to have seats for the wedding party on the stage.  That was way too long to expect anyone to stand in one place!

I didn't get to see all of the wedding but would like to send a huge "Thank you" to the FJ'ers who provided a play by play analysis of the wedding.  I missed the part where Stevehova's  gonads where discussed.  That's ok, I would have needed bottles of brain bleach to purge that from my consciousness.

I was surprised the church was  devoid of any decoration. It was as stark as a Maxwell.  Considering there were lanterns and a garland attached to the white alter backdrop, I don't think decorations were not allowed.   Could this have been a concession to Steve?

Chelsy's dress would have been pretty (if properly hemmed) at a beach wedding.  I live about a half hour from the wedding venue.  It's too damned cold for bare anything.

Forgetting her vows in the bathroom?  Way to go John and Chelsy!  Steve's head was probably ready to explode.  

I just checked the Bontanger you tube channel.  No wedding video.

I noticed that John talked about his mother's love and dedication longer than he talked about Steve. He said something about taking a road trip with Steve when he was 14. That's it. He then went on about his mother's sacrifices and dedication to his homeschooling. It said to me that John feels closer to his mother than his father. Which isn't surprising at all. 

I CANNOT imagine what Chelsy’s extended family thought about the vasectomy speech.  

I was at a gathering once with some of her extended family and one man, a doctor, started talking about birth control and vasectomies/vasectomy reversals.  They were SOOOO uncomfortable, it was terribly awkward, even in a very small group setting.   Those types of things are just not publically discussed, ever ever, in my local mennonite community(where Chelsy’s mother is from).  And certainly not in church.  Fertility is a blessing, yes, but like all blessings, it is not one to be prideful of or spoken about it public.

I cannot even imagine how terribly uncomfortable that must have been for them.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived