IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 8: Expecting the Expected (a Boy)

samurai_sarah

Continue from here:

Last post from previous thread from @Shadoewolf

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get hurt sledding/tubing. A bump that somebody built that you couldn't quite see? Hit it wrong and go flying. See said bump at the last second and try avoiding it only to flip and wipe out. Owch. Kid runs in front of you and wipe out trying to avoid them.  Gloves get wet and slippery and lose your grip, go tumbling halfway down the hill.  We live near a very large sledding hill and see injuries all the time. A tumble off the sled might not be a big deal for a normal person, bumps and bruises maybe, but being pregnant? Not a risk I would take.  

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 32 weeks pregnant after two losses, conceived via IUI, and I do daily blood thinner injections. Other than being on pelvic rest for a SCH early on, I have never had a specific conversation with either my RE or OB on things I should avoid. I have 3 indoor cats and I still change their litter multiple times per week. I helped my husband paint our shed at 12 weeks which meant a lot of reaching and bending. I've had sushi twice in just the last two weeks. I do heat up lunch meat even though I know the listeria risk is very small and I'm more likely to get it from vegetables. You could never convince me to eat my meat well done. There's a risk/benefit/reward to everything. Do whatever you are comfortable with. 

I rollerbladed well into my pregnancy and my midwife never had a problem with it. She just suggested I avoid hills. and not going too fast. 

Rest assured, if anything happens to that fetus no Duggar wife between the ages of 18 and 55 will ever be allowed to go snow-tubing again. 

57 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I rollerbladed well into my pregnancy and my midwife never had a problem with it. She just suggested I avoid hills. and not going too fast. 

One of my sisters in law was pregnant 12 times.  Six miscarriages, 5 living babies, one baby died within moments of birth.   During one pregnancy the house they were building caught on fire and she strapped an Indian Pump on her back and fought the fire.   Baby was fine.   Other times, total bed rest did not prevent the miscarriage.   She said if the baby was going to 'stick' it was going to be there.   If it wasn't, nothing could keep it in there.    

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

I do heat up lunch meat even though I know the listeria risk is very small and I'm more likely to get it from vegetables.

In my old job I toured a lab that does testing for Listeria, E Coli etc 

My biggest takeaway was washing everything with soap and water. Especially cantaloupe. 

And that's about all I have to contribute. That and that my busy cleaned the litter box while pregnant with my sister (single mom no choice) and was fine.

Listeriosis risk in the USA is almost nonexistent. I'd also sooner eat lunch meat daily than go snow tubing, as far as risks are concerned.

I often have lunch meetings with various boards and I find it fascinating that the women lawyers one never ever serves deli sandwiches, and everyone else always does.  I'm pretty sure its because of this restriction, so you don't have to tell colleagues your expecting until your ready.  No other group notices that it might be a problem.

I'm pregnant and I'm using a body wash with 2% salicylic acid in it.  I have had horrible pregnancy acne that is very painful.  I've tried every natural product I have found recommended by doctors and the internet and nothing has helped.  I had a horrific allergic reaction to tea tree oil, which seems to be what most pregnant women swear by.  I did extensive research into salicylic acid and determined that I was comfortable using the product if it's content was 2% or less and it was wash/scrub and not a topical spot treatment that remained on the skin for long periods of time.  

I think everyone is "fragile" in a different way during pregnancy.  I didn't have any morning sickness and my first trimester wasn't particularly difficult besides very sore breasts.  My second trimester has been awful.  I've been sick for more than four weeks, the pregnancy acne is unbearable, I need help getting up or picking things up.  I've been reading a book entitled Expecting Better by Emily Oster and it's really helped me feel better.  It's about empowering yourself during your pregnancy and making the decisions that work for you without feeling guilty or pressured by society or the women who love to engage in "mommy wars".  

@Melbelle Never been pregnant, but my birth control has been giving me acne on my face. I use Cetaphil (or store brand version) as a gentle wash, then I use the Queen Helene’s mint julep masque wherever my face needs it (mostly my chin area, it reduces redness and inflammation immediately!), and jojoba oil after to keep my skin from getting too dry. It’s helped SO much! I don’t know if it would help you but I figured I’d share :my_biggrin:

I've been pregnant four times - one live birth, one ectopic, and two miscarriages.

I, too, was always told:  if a pregnancy is going to "stick" it's going to "stick" no matter what you do or don't do.

1 hour ago, Melbelle said:

I've been reading a book entitled Expecting Better by Emily Oster and it's really helped me feel better.  It's about empowering yourself during your pregnancy and making the decisions that work for you without feeling guilty or pressured by society or the women who love to engage in "mommy wars".  

I loved this book.  I just gave birth yesterday (hello from my hospital bed with a sleeping newborn on my chest!) and I read that book during this pregnancy.  I liked taking ownership of my pregnancy instead of just blindly following what you're "supposed" to do. 

3 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

I loved this book.  I just gave birth yesterday (hello from my hospital bed with a sleeping newborn on my chest!) and I read that book during this pregnancy.  I liked taking ownership of my pregnancy instead of just blindly following what you're "supposed" to do. 

Awww - congrats on the sparklybabe! 

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Good for you. I have already said it but pregnancy is a condition not a disease. My Grandmother was pulling cotton when she went into labor with a huge cotton bag on her back. My aunt rode on the back of a motorcycle in Europe to get to work, not ideal but necessary. I fell on our apartment stairs in the snow while pregnant, got up and went on to work. Seriously, we are more resilient than what some people think. Sounds like a lot of people want to perch them up on the mantle the moment they declare their pregnancy . Nope.

22 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

Ooh new baby!!! CONGRATS!! :teasing-binkybaby:

39 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

Congratulations on your new little one. Enjoy every minute.

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Congratulations on your new little one. Enjoy every minute.

And also - please PLEASE understand that not every minute will be "enjoyable." And that's OK! 

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

And also - please PLEASE understand that not every minute will be "enjoyable." And that's OK! 

Agreed. I meant to add that.

1 hour ago, sparklymagie said:

Congratulations on your baby!

Congratulations! Enjoy the snuggles! :) 

Congratulations! May your little bundle start sleeping through the night after three weeks. lol

2 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

Congrats on your new squish! I'm on pregnancy number 2, so you think I could still benefit from reading that book? Always up for new reading material!

Well, the Duggars are good for one thing. Didn't know what I wanted to do for my birthday this Sunday, but thanks to Amy I've decided on tubing. If I can talk anyone into going with me that is (probably can't, but what else is new?) :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

Congratulations on your new little one!! :bigheart:

7 hours ago, MoonFace said:

One of my sisters in law was pregnant 12 times.  Six miscarriages, 5 living babies, one baby died within moments of birth.   During one pregnancy the house they were building caught on fire and she strapped an Indian Pump on her back and fought the fire.   Baby was fine.   Other times, total bed rest did not prevent the miscarriage.   She said if the baby was going to 'stick' it was going to be there.   If it wasn't, nothing could keep it in there.    

My grandma said the same thing. If it was meant to be born it would stick. 

1 minute ago, grandmadugger said:

My grandma said the same thing. If it was meant to be born it would stick. 

there was an episode of Party of five back in the day when Charlie and Kirsten were married and the doctor said to her that as well...great episode 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived