IGNORED

Chelsy and John's Wedding and the Aftermath

Palimpsest

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I find it really sad that in this day and age, in a community like this, people are criticizing a woman for not wearing makeup on her wedding day. NR Anna never wears makeup. Why on earth would she have worn any when she got married? What an appalling, sexist standard. If you want to wear makeup when you get married, wear makeup. Let other women do what they want to do and reserve your petty, misogynistic judgements.

Thank you!  Couldn't agree more.

The groom should run because the bride isn't wearing make-up?  Really?  (Anna looked just fine, btw). 

All of their dresses were fine, *IF* those were the dresses they wanted.  Make-up or no make-up is fine *AS LONG* as the woman is making the decision and not having it made for her.

Lord, where am I??  "A woman must wear make-up!"  How backwards is that?

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mizandry said:

ETA:

Oh, also, I love how on the Things To Do list, the Things are "drink coffee."  I couldn't help but chuckle a bit. I forget what living in a small town is like sometimes. :confusion-shrug: 

I don’t get it? (Have only lived in cities of 1.2 million to 10 million)

1 minute ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I think they mean, "go to a coffee shop and chat." 

I figure that's something most people do. Every time I'm in Starbucks there plenty of small groups chatting and drinking coffee.

I actually like Married Anna's wedding dress and thought she looked very pretty on her wedding day. She has a natural, glowing beauty, in my opinion. I think in the photos she looks as though she actually felt beautiful that day and I think that's what every bride deserves. Also, her dress appeared to be exactly what she wanted.  I liked it much better than all the "immodest" ones fundie girls buy and then add scarves and panels and shrugs and lace and whatever else they need to bring it up to their standards. I mean, if you want sleeves and a high neck; buy or make a dress with sleeves and a high neck.  That's what Anna did. I know some think it did not fit nicely but I think it was probably made very well and it didn't need a bunch of add-ons to make it fundie enough. 

5 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I’m guessing red, just because there’s so many possibilities for a winter wedding. And because it’s the most un-Maxwellian of colors. 

I think red would be lovely and Christmassy.  It would also blow Steve's mind to have all his women-folk except Teri dressed as "scarlet women." :)

Stevie is trying to get us off the sent:

Fess up to who is pointing his finger into Terris'ssss pussy.

We will find out Stevie - I've already bought the grape juice.....

sunflower-christmas-miracle-6.jpg

20 hours ago, lilith said:

It was THE DAY BEFORE. That was when Steve decided to “protect his children’s privacy” by not announcing engagements until the licence was signed, ring was on and marraige was consummated. Before that we got treated to every excruciating detail of debt free house purchase, no touch courtship, engagement and wedding planning (since scrubbed in the cases of Christopher’s  and Joseph’s failed courtships/engagements).

Edit to add - some FJers contacted Elizabeth Monk’s family to warn them off Maxhell, which I in no way condone and which I think had a lot to do with Steve getting much more circumspect about information release.

I’m pretty sure it was a week before, dove. As I recall it was the Saturday of her bridal shower. She told her family before the shower was to begin. Poor kid — I can’t imagine being in that sitch; brave kid!—-she had the courage and the love of her family to say NO!

4 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

I’m pretty sure it was a week before, dove. As I recall it was the Saturday of her bridal shower. She told her family before the shower was to begin. Poor kid — I can’t imagine being in that sitch; brave kid!—-she had the courage and the love of her family to say NO!

And now she's married with a baby and probably much happier staying out of Maxhell!

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And now she's married with a baby and probably much happier staying out of Maxhell!

I had not heard about that! Happy news!!!

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Also I’m sure she has contect with her family and if she had married into the Maxwell family I’m not sure how much contect she would have with them. 

7 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

I had not heard about that! Happy news!!!

She was married earlier this year and has a son already. Her sister was married only a week or two after her.

7 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Also I’m sure she has contect with her family and if she had married into the Maxwell family I’m not sure how much contect she would have with them. 

Yes, I believe the man she married was local so she wasn't made to move several states away.

Does her family still update their blog?  As i recall they started getting away from some of the extreme fundy stuff shortly after Elizabeth broke up with Joe.  I wonder what they're up to lately?

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I find it really sad that in this day and age, in a community like this, people are criticizing a woman for not wearing makeup on her wedding day. NR Anna never wears makeup. Why on earth would she have worn any when she got married? What an appalling, sexist standard. If you want to wear makeup when you get married, wear makeup. Let other women do what they want to do and reserve your petty, misogynistic judgements.

I think for some of us who just love wedding dresses and fashion in general, the hair and makeup and flowers and theme all go into our analysis of the overall bridal look. Makeup is usually judged in any other fashion situation, as it's usually deliberate in matching the look. I realize this isn't the runway, but if we're judging dresses than the makeup goes along with it. I'm sure Anna had the option of makeup but was deliberate in not wearing it or having a different hairstyle to show her simplicity and modestly. For me, if you're dressing up more than you would on a normal basis anyway, it's not so far-fetched to add more makeup than you would wear everyday, if only some concealer and powder to hide any redness, a little gloss or color on the lips, maybe mascara even. Certainly not saying she should be in full bronzer+highlighter+contouring+eye liner+filled in brows+fake lashes etc. 

Also I think these makeup discussions are the new FJ wedding argument about whether too much or just enough food is served at the reception. It's going to happen!

4 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Also I think these makeup discussions are the new FJ wedding argument about whether too much or just enough food is served at the reception. It's going to happen!

I will never stop arguing that the nuts, mints and punch served at Melanie and Nathan's wedding was way too little food! :my_smile:

44 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

My bad - i misremembered. Im so glad she got brave enough to speak her mind and didn’t let events carry her forward to somewhere she didn’t want to be. 

13 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I think for some of us who just love wedding dresses and fashion in general, the hair and makeup and flowers and theme all go into our analysis of the overall bridal look. Makeup is usually judged in any other fashion situation, as it's usually deliberate in matching the look. I realize this isn't the runway, but if we're judging dresses than the makeup goes along with it. I'm sure Anna had the option of makeup but was deliberate in not wearing it or having a different hairstyle to show her simplicity and modestly. For me, if you're dressing up more than you would on a normal basis anyway, it's not so far-fetched to add more makeup than you would wear everyday, if only some concealer and powder to hide any redness, a little gloss or color on the lips, maybe mascara even. Certainly not saying she should be in full bronzer+highlighter+contouring+eye liner+filled in brows+fake lashes etc. 

Do you also expect men to wear makeup when they get married? What if a bride wanted to get married in a t-shirt and jeans, would that be acceptable to you? "Should" brides also wear formal dresses, high heels, get their hair done professionally, have a manicure? Your standard is your standard. You don't get to apply it to other women. That smacks of internalized misogyny.

My daughter was married last year. She threw a bunch of 'traditional' things out the window.  Her husband wore comfortable khakis and a nice shirt that she made for him.  She and her sister in law made her wedding dress (it was beautiful! She's so talented it's ridiculous. ) She doesn't like regular wedding cake so they had strawberry shortcake and fruit. The groomsmen wore dark jeans.  Afterward she shocked her fundie relatives by having square dancing and live music (bluegrass)  It was great.  She wore no make up or jewelry, her choice.  

it wasn't what I would have chosen, but that's ok, it was HER choice and HER wedding and THEIR lives and they did their way.  She also didn't invite all the family b/c the venue was limited. People were not happy. Family was unhappy with their non traditional approach. It didn't matter.  They're happy and that's all that mattered.

I've always subscribed to the wisdom that a person should look like themselves on their wedding day.  Their BEST selves, maybe, but themselves.

So if you are not a person who normally wears make up, don't feel the need to wear it on your wedding day.  Otherwise, you might feel and even look like someone else.  On the flip side, if you are a person who normally wears a lot of dark makeup, don't feel the need to go with a light, "blushing bride" aesthetic.  

If you normally wear your hair down, don't feel pressure for a fancy up-do.  If you normally spend a ton of time on your hair, don't feel the need to suddenly go bohemian.  

If you like heels, wear heels.  If you prefer Toms, wear Toms.  

Just be YOU.  YOU the bride.  Not the bride on Pinterest, not your grandma's ideal bride, not the bride in the magazines, but YOU: Wedding Edition.  

Because when you look back at your wedding photos, you don't want to see someone else or you in wedding cosplay.  You will want to see YOU.  

43 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Do you also expect men to wear makeup when they get married? What if a bride wanted to get married in a t-shirt and jeans, would that be acceptable to you? "Should" brides also wear formal dresses, high heels, get their hair done professionally, have a manicure? Your standard is your standard. You don't get to apply it to other women. That smacks of internalized misogyny.

Actually, I had my sister-in-law put concealer on my hubby, especially because he's had issues with adult acne. I was hoping for some powder too but he compromised on the concealer and cleaning up his eyebrows! 

4 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I was just lamenting the fact that there is apparently not much to do in the area besides get coffee.

20 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

My main question regarding the wedding:  Watch it sober or drunk?

Silly child. The answer is clear as the nose on your face. Start sober. Drink every time Steve mentions death. Drink every time a woman is admonished to obey. Drink every time someone talks about a "Biblical marriage". Drink every time someone says purity or "saving themselves" or any other hymen related issue. Chug what ever is left in the bottle if someone starts talking about abortion during the wedding. You should be plastered by the time the kissing starts.:my_biggrin:

Could we have a new thread that for us that want to snark at the wedding and don’t give a fuck at what they wear, as we know they will be dressed in fucking frumpers.  Sorry xxxxx

36 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

My main question regarding the wedding:  Watch it sober or drunk?

Drunk

40 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

Could we have a new thread that for us that want to snark at the wedding and don’t give a fuck at what they wear, as we know they will be dressed in fucking frumpers.  Sorry xxxxx

Drunk

Fundie weddings are always great FJ drinking game opportunities.  I've got vodka at the ready.  Now where did I put that dang Pepsi?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived