IGNORED

Tori Bates - Part 4: Pretty Dresses Hiding Ugly Ideologies

samurai_sarah

I cannot stop cringing at my misuse of the word their in the post above. Especially since I wanted to say the and not even their lol. This is what happens when you use FJ when you’re supposed to be working. :pb_lol:

I also meant to say ragers not rangers haha!

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/28/2017 at 3:02 PM, Feministe9000 said:

Agreed with yall!!!

No wonder Michaela has possessiveness issues, seems so awkward and strange about affection, and everything else.
She has spent most of her life so far working HARD, raising kids, being the 2nd mom, etc. No doubt there was alot of emotional manipulation/Pearl- esque going on with the Bates kids in the early days.

and then Alyssa! Yeah I would have fled to FL as well. Sweet Christ!!!

I wonder how it is for Michael now that she has no one to care for. It almost seems like empty nesting. We all speculate that she’s probably glad to be out of there but she raised those babies and now she has no one to care for while they all live a few hundred miles away being taken care of by a runner-up sister Mom. 

6 hours ago, jacduggar said:

I wonder how it is for Michael now that she has no one to care for. It almost seems like empty nesting. We all speculate that she’s probably glad to be out of there but she raised those babies and now she has no one to care for while they all live a few hundred miles away being taken care of by a runner-up sister Mom. 

Exactly she was the second mother to those kids. I think she probably enjoyed taking care of the kids. 

I was still lurking at the time of the wedding, so I'll add my two cents now.  Her dress was too big.  It could have been beautiful otherwise and I love the color for a winter wedding.  I also LOVE the eggplant color rather than the usual red December wedding.  From what we've seen, I think they pulled off a relatively nice wedding and the photography could have been much worse. 

Bobby's parents' shindig is something else.  I know it's not super uncommon to have a second reception when the bride and groom are not from the same part of the country.  Still, it reminds me of my own in-laws.  They were not pleased with some of the decisions that I made for my wedding (paid for by my parents), so they invited their friends to their own events.  It was rude and annoying and was not about me and my husband, but about my in-laws and their friends and family.  I hated having to attend it all.  Judging by the photos, I hope Tori's not in a similar boat or if she is, that she appreciates and welcomes it.

We've seen Bobby's family home before.  I don't recall that it was so fancy but I could be wrong.  Anyone else remember?  It was his graduation party episode.

Courtney Green, who used to be on BUB all the time, posted some pics from the wedding and specifically the hair. Super cute flower girls. 

Maldonado, Whitney definitely doesn’t look pregnant. 

On 1/2/2018 at 6:44 AM, Pete Pickles said:

We've seen Bobby's family home before.  I don't recall that it was so fancy but I could be wrong.  Anyone else remember?  It was his graduation party episode.

It was really nice in that episode. They said it was in a gated community, it looked big and fancy and was definitely the same house.

9 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

It was really nice in that episode. They said it was in a gated community, it looked big and fancy and was definitely the same house.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I was only half watching the episode and I don’t remember much. I hope moving from there to a camper parked in a back yard wasn’t too big of a culture shock for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28.12.2017 at 5:54 PM, VineHeart137 said:

While I haven't followed the Bates closely enough to know whether they ever truly went to bed hungry, I do know that Jim Bob is the more savvy businessman. He seems to be much better at managing money and investments than Gil, who has a reputation as more of a grifter. At one point Gil was borrowing money from his son to pay bills and buy groceries. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Bateses did struggle with feeding everyone more than the Duggars did.

I'm quite sure that the Bateses struggled more than the Duggars in the early days, before there was the reality tv money to feed the ever growing crowd. 

But when it comes to Gil and Kelly I could totally see Gil's parents stepping in helping their son financially. Not in a big way, but whenever money was tight and before the money to buy food could be borrowed from Lawson.

23 minutes ago, ColeJo said:

So... Tobby is going to move to Nashville to work for a church and a school after Tori graduates.

I think thats a fairly practical and good move on their part. It’s obvious that their entire relationship has been thought out, what’s going to happen next, longer term future plans like moving after he graduates and she graduates and getting married,I think they are similar to a zach  and Whitney or a chad and Erin in that way, they really do seem like a team. Sooooo unlike Evan and Carlin.  Also, Nashville is an awesome city, even among the Christian community, they’ll be around a lot of life and fun and I wish the best for them. I didn’t think Tori would move to FL, at least not right away, and this is juuust enough distance to feel some difference, and that’s good for now.  I think it’s cool they will both experience a fairly new city together. 

On 1/4/2018 at 8:00 PM, Seculardaisy said:

I lived in that area and believe I recognized the neighborhood if what they showed was accurate. They’re big family neighborhoods with houses ranging from around 300k-700kish with a good variety. They are inland, which gives you a lot more house than being near the water here in Florida. Zoned for decent schools, but the area he’s in has really boomed the past 10 years with new plazas, shopping and restaurants. I googled Bobby’s info and a voter registration came up with an address. That house on Zillow is listed at sale price of $600k and looks to be lakefront. Not sure what kind of lake- we have a variety here and some you can’t swim in because gators LOL. I couldn’t figure out what his parents do. I clearly am bored tonight ha 

2 minutes ago, 3SecondSideHugger said:

I lived in that area and believe I recognized the neighborhood if what they showed was accurate. They’re big family neighborhoods with houses ranging from around 300k-700kish with a good variety. They are inland, which gives you a lot more house than being near the water here in Florida. Zoned for decent schools, but the area he’s in has really boomed the past 10 years with new plazas, shopping and restaurants. I googled Bobby’s info and a voter registration came up with an address. That house on Zillow is listed at sale price of $600k and looks to be lakefront. Not sure what kind of lake- we have a variety here and some you can’t swim in because gators LOL. I couldn’t figure out what his parents do. I clearly am bored tonight ha 

I mean I live in MI and the housing market may be different but a $600k home would be pretty damn fancy here! Wow!

6 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

I mean I live in MI and the housing market may be different but a $600k home would be pretty damn fancy here! Wow!

I mean, you can buy a nice oceanfront house 35 mins from where he is for 600k so I don’t understand expensive lake houses in our area but that’s my spoiled Florida girl self talking :my_angel:

She is also student teaching with first graders. Josie passed the test and got her cosmetology license. Katie is doing a dual credit program based on the Facebook Live video.

That is great. Enough separation to have their own life but not too far from her family's perspective. Where does Evan live? Near Nashville? Possible Carlin is coming on down that direction after they get married? 

So are they saying Tori will actually work as a real teacher after she graduates? In a brick-and-mortar school? That would be... a great step for her. Although I worry about the kids, and I hope there are very strict rules about what she can and cannot say to her students. She doesn't need to try to indoctrinate young people with her cult BS!

Per Lily and Ellie's blog, "Tori and Bobby Smith are living in an apartment near the family. Tori graduates in May, and we can finally reveal their plans: They will be moving to the Nashville area. Bobby has accepted a job at a church called Bible Baptist (same name as Gil's church but no affiliation), and Tori hopes to use her teaching degree to be involved at a nearby Christian school."

Searching for "Bible Baptist" I came up with "Bible Baptist Hendersonville", which is Nashville area, though not Nashville itself. http://www.bbctn.com/ 

I think it's the closest one to Nashville based on projected travel time to Nashville per Google Maps, and while most of their staff went to other schools, the Pastor was previously a VP for Admin at PCC and the Office Coordinator (the only specifically employed woman) graduated from PCC. Therefore, Bobby might have connections there that could have helped him get the job.

For Tori's intentions, it doesn't specifically say she plans/hopes to teach, rather "be involved" but she's also aiming for a "Christian school" nearby. Not sure which school she's thinking of, since Hendersonville appears to have multiple, although a link on the church website supposedly goes to Hendersonville Christian Academy (link is broken), so it might be that one. http://www.hcacrusaders.com/home 

Tori working for a (real bricks and mortar) Christian school is interesting. I wonder if they would send their children there? Particularly if they'd get free or heavily discounted tuition.

It would be a shame if she was only able to teach for a few months before she had her first child. With Tori not graduating until May, sadly it's also possible she could be 5 months along with a honeymoon baby so she may never get to work.

Fingers crossed she does get to put her degree to use somewhere other than the SOTDRT

6 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Tori working for a (real bricks and mortar) Christian school is interesting. I wonder if they would send their children there? Particularly if they'd get free or heavily discounted tuition.

It would be a shame if she was only able to teach for a few months before she had her first child. With Tori not graduating until May, sadly it's also possible she could be 5 months along with a honeymoon baby so she may never get to work.

Fingers crossed she does get to put her degree to use somewhere other than the SOTDRT

And fingers crossed she doesn’t use her (potential) position of power as an educator to pass harmful IBLP teachings on to innocent kids.

(We have no indication she’d ever do something like this or act in a less than professional manner and I do want to give her the benefit of the doubt here, but I don’t trust Fundamentalists as far as I can throw them. So, seriously - fingers crossed.)

Not wanting to be negative, but we all know Tori will not get to teach long outside of the home. Baby will be here by Halloween. Doubt if I'm wrong. 

Tori isn’t getting a job. Come on y’all. Also, Hendersonville is fundie/Bible thumper/hypoChristian  central. That is the home of CBN of Paul and Jan Crouch fame. 

54 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Tori isn’t getting a job. Come on y’all. Also, Hendersonville is fundie/Bible thumper/hypoChristian  central. That is the home of CBN of Paul and Jan Crouch fame. 

I know :my_sad: all my excitement earlier in this thread about them moving to Nashville has vanished.

Plus I went to the Bible Baptist website and they have their most recent sermons uploaded,  I listened to part of one of their new pastor's sermons, because Kelly mentioned in one of the FB Lives that Tori has been RAVING to her about how amazing this pastor is and hearing him speak.

I stopped when he said (keep in mind he is in mid-shout most of the time)
"The Bible says God created Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" One of their favorite little phrases.

And I imagined Tori and Bobby in the congregation mouthing (or audibly affirming) AMEN AMEN AMENNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my hope died.

Ugh.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived