Bethella

1 hour ago, Iamhispurity said:

Grace Pennington is expecting.

Is she married or single?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JillyO said:

Grace got married early last year, and this is her first pregnancy.

What's her married name?

1 minute ago, Bethella said:

What's her married name?

I didn't actually know, but I just found their The Knot website. Grace Pennington got married to Wesley Fay on February 18, 2017.

4 hours ago, Fascinated said:

Reading all this gives me concern that my kids are on some forum somewhere commenting on their batshit crazy parents.

We gave our first son the same first name as one of my brothers. It was the only name my husband and I both liked at the time. About ten years later my brother and his wife gave the same name to their son.  By then our son had a nickname and it has never been a problem.

We gave a lovely family name on my dad’s side as a middle name to our third son, and, lo and behold, so did aforementioned brother with that same son.  Kinda weird.

Our last son was born on the third anniversary of the death of our second son.  We decided to give him that baby’s first name as his middle name.  It’s a really nice name. (Recently I asked him if it bothered him that we did that.  He assured me that he is honoured to carry the name and tells friends its provenance often.)

I feel like a weirdo.  Everything made sense at the time, and all my boys have very nice ‘normal’ names.  However, I recall being quite aghast (is it even possible to have levels of aghastness?  Probably not.) when a neighbour complimented us on choosing such strong biblical names.  Yikes.  Not what we were going for!

I think it's a very nice tribute to your second son that his name is carried on.  I'm sorry for your loss.

Our daughter has as her middle name my mother-in-law's maiden name because my husband was very close to her dad (his grandfather). He has 2 sisters and a brother and they all have used the same name as a middle name for their children.  I think it's a nice tradition and it's a good way for them to remember the grandfather who stepped in when their dad left.

9 hours ago, Fascinated said:

However, I recall being quite aghast (snip) when a neighbour complimented us on choosing such strong biblical names.  Yikes.  Not what we were going for!

When my nephew was born, my sister and bil gave him a first name that they liked and a middle name after a relative. When I was visiting at the hospital and the nurse said, "I just love when people name babies after the saints," I kind of did a double-take. I hadn't considered that both names are in the New Testament, and as a Protestant, I don't tend to think of disciples in the New Testament as "the saints". Lots of biblical names have become so normal in our culture, that I don't think everyone remembers their origins. Even some of us Christians. (One of my kid's has a name that's in the Bible. That's not even remotely why we used the name. ;) )

On 1/22/2018 at 11:42 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

When my nephew was born, my sister and bil gave him a first name that they liked and a middle name after a relative. When I was visiting at the hospital and the nurse said, "I just love when people name babies after the saints," I kind of did a double-take. I hadn't considered that both names are in the New Testament, and as a Protestant, I don't tend to think of disciples in the New Testament as "the saints". Lots of biblical names have become so normal in our culture, that I don't think everyone remembers their origins. Even some of us Christians. (One of my kid's has a name that's in the Bible. That's not even remotely why we used the name. ;) )

I'm an atheist who was raised on the good and normal side of my family (when they could get me away from the abusive shit-show on the other side) that are fairly conservative Catholics by my country's measures. As in, they aren't into legalizing their beliefs, vote liberal but huge on contraception and prefer NFP but I wonder how much of that is influenced by a strange blood disorder that doesn't have name that is passed to most women, including me from the paternal line, that makes us prone to both blood clots and to hemorrhaging and bleeds and bad bruises. Know one really has a good answer as to why. I lost my my child with my ex at 24 weeks due to a clot in the placenta. We're all seemingly healthy but this plagues us all and one thing that seems to reduce the incidence of DVT and pulmonary embolism is staying off hormonal BC. I stay off it to without a religious reason but I think they combine it all. Nt family is 95% "pro-life" but also not into legalizing their beliefs- my grandfather would always say to me something o the effect of, "If there wasn't a lot of grey here, none of us would debate and be so sure of one side. I believe what I believe and I'd find it hard to look someone in the eye who I know had an abortion, but I know logically that I've looked many women in they eye who have and I didn't see anything different about them and if we're this divided, a law shouldn't decide. Only God can do that at the end, it shouldn't be the law." ANYWAY- point is that we all have very traditional names in my family, mostly Biblical even though that wasn't the guiding intention and just because most traditional Western names are Biblical, and a lot of the boy's names that I love are also Biblical.

I wonder sometimes what people will say if I name my son Jeremiah David or something (both family names that I love) considering I'm not religious at all. If I read the name Jeremiah David in a birth announcement, I'd be guilty of thinking "Christian!. " The Biblical connections don't factor in to why I like that name though. But it does occur to me how I might be perceived if I had a Jeremiah, Isaac, Tobiah, and Abel- people would assume that I'm Christian for sure.

I would think that Jeremiah or David were just names you liked, honestly.  I have a Biblical first name that is actually very common but it was very popular in the early 60's and my mom just liked it. Same thing about David.

My first three kids all have biblical first names, two of them have biblical middle names as well. I’m absolutely not religious and neither is their father, but most traditional English language names are biblical and my family is Anglican on both sides from my grandparents back and ex comes from a mixed catholic/Methodist marriage, so many family names are biblical too. I don’t think people assume I’m Christian, even though my first daughters name would fit into most biblically named fundie families (two very popular and traditional biblical names).

Jinger just posted a bump pic saying she’s 15 weeks so she’s due mid July.

It was also confirmed in the comments that Nawon Losli (Kwon) is pregnant. Her wedding was reported in the marriages thread back in August so I figured her pregnancy can too

Spoiler

6DF5A600-1272-440A-ACFF-25B2FBB91491.jpeg.7f160b3eeb1fcfd025a75ce6754aad52.jpeg

Just now, VBOY9977 said:

Oh god, here we go again with the chalkboard pictures. I hope it isn't as excessive as Jill's first pregnancy.

Just now, Bethella said:

Oh god, here we go again with the chalkboard pictures. I hope it isn't as excessive as Jill's first pregnancy.

Nah, I think Jill started around 6 or 8 weeks. So unless Jinger goes for a daily chalkboard photo... (dammit, @singsingsing, don't give them any ideas!)

37 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

It was also confirmed in the comments that Nawon Losli (Kwon) is pregnant. Her wedding was reported in the marriages thread back in August so I figured her pregnancy can too

Hide contents

6DF5A600-1272-440A-ACFF-25B2FBB91491.jpeg.7f160b3eeb1fcfd025a75ce6754aad52.jpeg

There is an additional comment from Nawon saying she is also 15 weeks. So they really aren't kidding when they say their babies are close together.

The sisters that married the Bontrager brothers are also due around that time in July. There will be lots of fundie babies that month. 

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The sisters that married the Bontrager brothers are also due around that time in July. There will be lots of fundie babies that month. 

Lots of babies during and of the semester and finals. :jawdrop:

Jinger is caring so much smaller than any of her sister. I wouldn't be able to tell she is pregnant when I saw her on the street.

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

Jinger is caring so much smaller than any of her sister. I wouldn't be able to tell she is pregnant when I saw her on the street.

Which is the norm. Everyone I know who was pregnant at 15 weeks didn't look pregnant to strangers. No one knew I was pregnant at work until I told them at 20 weeks. I wore all my regular pants until 20 weeks. And then even after that, strangers couldn't tell I was pregnant until I was into the third trimester. I think Jill and Joy show very early and they probably stick it out a little since fundies prize pregnancy so much. 

My sister in law is 13 weeks and is showing as much as Joy in her pregnancy announcement. It all depends on body type to me. Jinger and Joy clearly have very different ones 

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Which is the norm. Everyone I know who was pregnant at 15 weeks didn't look pregnant to strangers. No one knew I was pregnant at work until I told them at 20 weeks. I wore all my regular pants until 20 weeks. And then even after that, strangers couldn't tell I was pregnant until I was into the third trimester. I think Jill and Joy show very early and they probably stick it out a little since fundies prize pregnancy so much. 

I think I started showing from pretty much the second I got pregnant.  But a lot of women don't show early or big at all. But I would not be surprised if some fundies did emphasize the bump. Not just fundies, but since that seems to be what they believe is their reason for existing.

You can be "showing" but not look pregnant. Some women just look like they had a big lunch. Some look like they just have a little pooch that happens when you get older. But they don't look pregnant to strangers.

I think a lot of women emphasise the bump early in first pregnancies - I know I did, I couldn’t wait to show. Subsequent pregnancies I was happy to stay as small as possible for as long as possible - novelty had definitely worn off.

Nothing but a strong hunch + history, but I’m  predicting The Better Than You Niednagels  will announce a pregnancy by year’s end. 

Deena Dillard (Dan Dillard's wife, Derek and Jill Dillard's sister-in-law) announced she is expecting her first child around September 3rd.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180130-175106.thumb.png.ec1e46a97a90b7d481e6f567e31439df.png

21 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Nothing but a strong hunch + history, but I’m  predicting The Better Than You Niednagels  will announce a pregnancy by year’s end. 

Possibly, but there is a big gap between Marion and Jonas - 3.5 years I think.

7 hours ago, kbohn23 said:

Possibly, but there is a big gap between Marion and Jonas - 3.5 years I think.

Precisely why. I think they had 3, took a break and plan on another 3.  And since everything works just as they want it because they are father-honorers, it will happen. 

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived