IGNORED

Dillards 47: Tweeting Twit

samurai_sarah

Reading this discussion, I realize I have no idea how to pronounce twat. I've never said it out loud. I've led a sheltered life.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

We're everywhere especially when it comes to having an opinion. ;) Nice to meet you as well! 

That is very true. I always say my stubborness is in my blood LOL.

Thanks...it's always great to get to know someone from home, even like this. :my_heart: 

I was skimming new posts and I saw the title - I thought someone had tweeted a picture of female genitals. Then I realised it was being used as a descriptor.

It rhymes with hot for me. 

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My English husband pronounces "twat" so that it rhymes with "hat." To me, "twat" rhymes with hot. haha

And our Brit friends use the C-word like salt-on-popcorn. Yet they fucking SWOON when I say "crap." I thought my SIL was going to DIE when I said "crap" in front of my nephews. 

Twat rhymes with hat. It's like Bath rhymes with hat never baaaath as is barf.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Oh weird, twat rhymes with hat for me... any other Canadians want to chime in?

Canadian with a British husband here. I say "twot", his rhymes with hat.

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

I hate how much my friends Irish husband uses the c word.  And his absolute refusal to accept that is is a horribly insulting and offensive word here.  To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of him anyway, but this doesn't help.

In that situation just refer to him as Bell end what ever his name is. Constantly. All the time. He will hopefully get the message. 

2 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

In that situation just refer to him as Bell end what ever his name is. Constantly. All the time. He will hopefully get the message. 

Bell end?  just add bell to the end of his name?  or before his name?  What does it mean to do so?  Sorry I've never heard of this.

1 minute ago, justoneoftwo said:

Bell end?  just add bell to the end of his name?  or before his name?  What does it mean to do so?  Sorry I've never heard of this.

"Bell end" is slang for a penis, or a really obnoxious man.

Just now, Rachel333 said:

"Bell end" is slang for a penis, or a really obnoxious man.

Excellent, I'll use this and maybe he will stop being such a jerk.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My English husband pronounces "twat" so that it rhymes with "hat." To me, "twat" rhymes with hot. haha

And our Brit friends use the C-word like salt-on-popcorn. Yet they fucking SWOON when I say "crap." I thought my SIL was going to DIE when I said "crap" in front of my nephews. 

My husband is Irish. At a recent wedding we were seated at a table with some Irish cousins [they live in Ireland],  and I swear to bob during the speeches at the dinner, these Irish dudes kept screaming out the C-word. OMG, I almost died.

6 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I feel a bit weird about "twat" considering that it refers to a women's genitals.

I hear ya. But considering that 'dick' has already been sufficiently used around here to describe these twats, I feel ok about it!

3 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

I hear ya. But considering that 'dick' has already been sufficiently used around here to describe these twats, I feel ok about it!

Yeah, but I think it's a little different using a misogynistic insult to describe misogynists.

Personally, though I don't think "dick" has anywhere near the same power to it as misogynistic insults, I try to avoid gendered insults in general.

I do think it's entirely fair game to use a slur derived from the male anatomy at someone who won't stop using a slur derived from female anatomy, as in the "c---"/"bellend" example above!

@Rachel333, I knew exactly what you were saying, hence the 'i hear ya'. I was just making a joke. ;) If you don't care for that word, you might want to avoid this thread upstream from us - these people are having a field day!! :) 

ETA: youtube answered my twat pronunciation question 

On to cunt, that's another insult I enjoy sometimes, mostly because Game of Thrones, but man do Aussies throw that around freely.

15 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

ETA: youtube answered my twat pronunciation question 

On to cunt, that's another insult I enjoy sometimes, mostly because Game of Thrones, but man do Aussies throw that around freely.

That video is brilliant. Really gets the point across.

:giggle:

it sounds like hot for me

I can have a horrible Appalachian accent sometimes, Hill and He'll sound the same  as do far and fire.

My favorite Brit word is prick, or at least my favorite word I picked up by reading and interacting on a British message board. I actually use it often. :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, Beermeet said:

There is no nice way to put this, so I won't try.

I did not know ugly people could be narcissistic too.  

Yep, totally. Narcissism comes in a few diff forms and it is more about the need to feel  superior over others, whether that is looks, skills, intellect etc... I'm recently divorced from a "vulnerable narcissist" and it took me years to escape. I didn't  understand that because he wasn't a loud grandiose style of narcissist what was wrong with him.  

Vulnerable narcissists are quiet, " you just don't understand how special I am" kind of people. They walk around with a smug superiority, but they lose their shit if you challenge their beliefs because their egos can't cope with it. It's a fascinating subject. 

Midwesterner here with a deep affection for British tv. I had to school my son about which words we used were British swears, so as not to get him in trouble at school.

3 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Twat rhymes with hat. It's like Bath rhymes with hat never baaaath as is barf.

Rhymes with hot where I'm from, lol

57 minutes ago, justmissedquiver said:

Yep, totally. Narcissism comes in a few diff forms and it is more about the need to feel  superior over others, whether that is looks, skills, intellect etc... I'm recently divorced from a "vulnerable narcissist" and it took me years to escape. I didn't  understand that because he wasn't a loud grandiose style of narcissist what was wrong with him.  

Vulnerable narcissists are quiet, " you just don't understand how special I am" kind of people. They walk around with a smug superiority, but they lose their shit if you challenge their beliefs because their egos can't cope with it. It's a fascinating subject. 

It is quite fascinating.   I'm sorry you had to deal with one.  Messes with the non-narcissits head, not cool.

I always figured what most would call very good looking people would be narcissistic.  I tied it too much to looks it seems.  I should've known because tRump.

10 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I feel a bit weird about "twat" considering that it refers to a women's genitals. I'm not a big fan of slurs like that.

There's no doubt it goes well with "tweeting," though!

Fair point. I apologise for offending, and will alter the thread title.

ETA: Changed to "twat" to "twit", which the OED tells me means a silly or foolish person.

• samurai_sarah pinned, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived