IGNORED

Roy Moore is a loser: Sweet Home Alabama- 2

samurai_sarah

9 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Sweet thread title. Yes, pun intended.

LOL - The world is celebrating Alabama, so I wanted to post a video. But the ones I could find sport the Confederate Flag. NOT, absolutely not what I was going for, when I named this thread. The thread title was meant as a homage to Alabama. Tell me off, if I got it all wrong.

• Upvote 4

LOL - The world is celebrating Alabama, so I wanted to post a video. But the ones I could find sport the Confederate Flag. NOT, absolutely not what I was going for, when I named this thread. The thread title was meant as a homage to Alabama. Tell me off, if I got it all wrong.

How about this? It’s not Alabama-specific (NY daily News) but it’s accurate!

d84e7c282f27c7298b987ff0fc2a5340.jpg
  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 6
  • Love 6

14 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

You were spot on.  The song, I believe, was written as a retort to Neil Young's 'Southern Man'. 

Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don't need him around anyhow

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

I saw cotton
and I saw black
Tall white mansions
and little shacks.
Southern man
when will you
pay them back?
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

Lily Belle,
your hair is golden brown
I've seen your black man
comin' round
Swear by God
I'm gonna cut him down!
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

• Upvote 10

Well if we are going to talk about songs - Roy Moore lost.  Praise be to Rufus

Let us visit this anthem again:

It is wisdom born of pain but we will be INVINCIBLE!

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Bless you for giving us a new Roy Moore thread! It may be petty and small of me, but dammit to hell, I'm not through gloating yet. :evil-laugh:

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 5

"Breitbart went after Roy Moore’s accusers. It didn’t work."

Spoiler

At a pre-Thanksgiving event, Dean Young, the chief strategist for Roy Moore’s failed Senate campaign, echoed winning lines from Donald Trump’s successful presidential campaign. “The Washington Post and all the fake media for the last two weeks have said everything they could say about Judge Moore,” said Young. “They’re trying to dig people up, put them on TV and say, ‘Judge Moore is a bad guy.’” Standard stuff. In the same appearance, however, Young also ridiculed Fox News, which had done polling indicating that Moore was behind his opponent, Doug Jones. “You get Fox News to put out their fake polls and everybody else can too, but he’s still winning and he’s never been losing because the people of Alabama don’t go for what you’re trying to sell,” said Young.

A Republican campaign, dissing both the mainstream media and Fox News? What media outlet could it possibly rely upon?

That would be Breitbart, home to Stephen K. Bannon, who moved from an executive position at Breitbart to the Trump campaign in August 2016, then to a top job in the White House, then back to Breitbart this past August. A hard-right nationalist who despises establishments yet worked on Wall Street and makes a handsome living himself, Bannon barnstormed in Alabama on behalf of Moore. “There’s a special place in hell for Republicans who should know better,” said Bannon at a rally, scolding those who declined to back Moore.

The digital pages of Breitbart followed suit. On Sunday, Aaron Klein, Breitbart’s Jerusalem bureau chief and senior investigative reporter, interviewed Moore as the campaign neared its end. The session aired on Klein’s show, “Aaron Klein Investigative Radio,” with an accompanying writeup on Breitbart. In introducing the chat, Klein noted that Moore had given very few media interviews in recent weeks. With that, he posed the following questions to Moore, with paraphrased summaries of Moore’s response in brackets:

How critical is it right now that people get out there and vote?

[Very]

There are so many major differences — I mean, night and day — between you and Doug Jones. One of those major differences is abortion. Would it be too far to call Doug Jones an abortion extremist?

[No, not too far]

Is it correct to say that a vote for Doug Jones is a vote for the continuation of illegal aliens, meaning illegals taking jobs from Americans?

[Obey the law]

You are, of course, a graduate of U.S. Military Academy, West Point. You served in Vietnam, you have children who serve in the U.S. military, which is something that I don’t think we can’t say for a lot of top politicians — by the way, both Democrat and Republican. And eight years of this radical agenda of Barack Obama has really had a very real-world impact on the U.S. military, on the Navy, on the Army. You getting into the Alabama Senate race, I think, is critical for rebuilding our military and I think you understand that more than anybody else.

[Strong military very important]

And when it comes to the fundamental transformation, really the continuation of policies either, let’s say, pro-American or what we’ve seen under Obama, which is very different. Supreme Court is critical for so many things that touch every aspect of American life, maybe even one day Obamacare. Tell me how important this vote is when it comes to what could happen in the next year, two years, three years. … How important is it to keep the Supreme Court in the hands of conservatives and isn’t this race pretty critical to make sure that that happens?

[Sure is]

I noticed the enormous sum of money that has been poured into this race by the establishment. $50 million or who knows how much more — into the ads that we’re seeing run nonstop on television. At this point, with all of the money poured in, is Doug Jones pretty much owned by the establishment?

[Oh yeah]

I’ve been here in Alabama for several weeks and really came to love this place. It’s really an unbelievable state. I think the people here are just amazing. I think that a lot of people … they’re not really being fooled by Washington. By these ridiculous stories. … Because people beyond Alabama don’t understand this: You say you want to bring Alabama values to Washington, D.C. What are Alabama values? What do you mean by that?

[God]

“These ridiculous stories” was an apparent reference to the very sturdy plume of reporting on Moore’s pursuit of teenage girls when he was in his 30s, as first reported by The Washington Post on Nov. 9. Leigh Corfman was just 14 years old when, she alleged, Moore pursued her, once taking off her shirt and pants while he was in his underwear. Several other accusers also came forth. Moore denied the allegations.

In an interview with the Erik Wemple Blog, Klein said, “The entire media coverage of the campaign for the last few weeks has only been about the accusations.” Instead of continuing that focus, Klein set out to “frame the larger importance of this Senate race.” As opposed to obsessing about the claims against Moore’s behavior, “We need to remember as a country that at the end of the day, this is about policy,” Klein said.

That’s a peculiar posture for a fellow with Klein’s recent archive. Look at some of his headlines: “Alabama Accuser Deletes Anti-Moore Postings from Facebook, Rants About Removing Trump from Office” (Nov. 10); “Roy Moore’s Accuser Did Work for Joe Biden, Other Democrats” (Nov. 10); “EXCLUSIVE – Mother of Roy Moore Accuser Contradicts Key Detail of Daughter’s Sexual Misconduct Story” (Nov. 12); “EXCLUSIVE – Mother of Roy Moore Accuser: Washington Post Reporters Convinced My Daughter to Go Public” (Nov. 12); “Roy Moore Campaign to Gloria Allred: Release the Evidence to Determine Whether There is Fraud” (Nov. 15); “EXCLUSIVE – Stepson of Roy Moore Accuser: Accusations ‘One Hundred Percent a Lie’” (Nov. 16); “EXCLUSIVE – Ultimatum: Roy Moore Gives Gloria Allred 48 Hours to Release Yearbook, Demands Evidence Be Preserved” (Nov. 16); “EXCLUSIVE – Roy Moore’s Former Longtime Secretary: ‘I Don’t Believe Any of This’” (Nov. 17); “EXCLUSIVE – Roy Moore: Gloria Allred’s Refusal to Release Yearbook Proves Allegations Are ‘Completely Untrue’” (Nov. 17).

Mixed into the lot was some policy coverage, but Klein essentially created for himself a discredit-Roy-Moore-accusers ad hoc beat. “We found pretty massive questions about their credibility and character,” Klein said of Moore’s accusers.

Bill Clinton’s accusers were a cleaner bunch, however. Klein vetted them before Trump’s clash with Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential campaign. He interviewed Bill Clinton accuser Kathleen Willey. He interviewed Clinton accuser Juanita Broaddrick, as candidate Trump noted on the campaign trail. Just last week, Bannon, in a SiriusXM radio interview, credited Klein with being the “genius” who hatched the idea of inviting the Bill Clinton accusers for a media availability before the St. Louis presidential debate in October 2016. The debate followed the airing of the “Access Hollywood” tape in which Trump boasted of sexually assaulting women. Breitbart is actually in something of a dispute with Roger Stone over who gets credit for the tactic.

So: The Moore accusers are not to be trusted; Bill Clinton’s are to be trusted. Asked about this matter, Klein responded, “There’s an enormous difference to me, and that is one of credibility. I am simply investigating these news-making claims against Roy Moore — claims that can impact an election. And what I have found is that there are major aspects to the accusers that have largely not been touched, in fact, not been covered by the news media.” On the other hand, he found few such problems with the Clinton accusers: “I personally re-vetted these women,” says Klein, with the result that they were found to be “highly credible.”

Did Klein & Co. convince Alabama voters? Well, not enough of them to land Moore in the Senate. Fifty-two percent of voters believed the allegations against Moore to be definitely or probably true, according to exit polling, against 43 percent who felt the other way. Four in 10 voters reported that the allegations were an important consideration in their votes.

Breitbart has been on a sensational ride for the last two-and-a-half years. Access to big-time Republican candidates, proximity to election tactics and links, links, links from mainstream media outlets, conservative outlets, foreign outlets — everywhere. As a Harvard University study found, Breitbart stands as a behemoth of right-wing media. So: “Fox News gets excluded and criticized by the Breitbart-centered network in February and March,” said study author Yochai Benkler, referring to the ups and downs of the 2016 campaign. “In April, it’s RedState and Erick Erickson coming and being criticized. And you see the right wing sort of splitting into two groups. But eventually once they shut down all of the competition, the network settles back around the gravitational pull of Breitbart.”

There are limits, however. Only so many folks are going to swallow the “exclusive” that Breitbart digs up on this-or-that accuser. A cautionary note to future Republican candidates: When all you have is Breitbart, you have trouble.

In a gracious story Tuesday night, Breitbart’s Joel Pollak credited Jones for his victory. “There is no substitute for hard work. And Doug Jones worked hard enough to earn the win,” he wrote.

Still dancing here after last night's victory!

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

As a die-hard Trump lover, I despise Moore and Jones. However, Moore should not be anywhere near public office- he is a well meaning but clueless clown at best and a hate filled bigot at worst. I am at peace with it all because I can’t stand Moore anyway. 

• Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Confused 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

"‘I would have won Alabama’: Trump spreads blame for Moore’s loss"

Spoiler

Shortly after Democrat Doug Jones wrested back one of ­Alabama’s solidly Republican U.S. Senate seats for the first time in more than two decades, President Trump offered an optimistic and forward-looking assessment on Twitter, congratulating Jones on his “hard fought victory.”

But by Wednesday morning, as Trump watched the unflattering portrait of the loss unfold on television, the president grew piqued at the notion that he, somehow, was responsible. 

“I won Alabama, and I would have won Alabama again,” Trump said, according to a senior administration official.

He told advisers that he didn’t want the results to be seen as a referendum on him and asked if he still had a solid base of support in the state. He also questioned Wednesday if he had made the right decision and if Sen. Luther Strange — the Republican he grudgingly endorsed who went on to lose the party’s primary — could have beaten Jones in the general election.

But inside the West Wing, Jones’s upset victory left some of Trump’s top advisers worried about both the 2018 midterm elections and the president’s low popularity, and accelerated an ongoing discussion about restructuring the White House political operation. 

This portrait of the White House after the Alabama loss comes from 20 senior officials, aides, lawmakers, and outsider advisers and confidants, many of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer a more candid assessment.  

The president himself spread the blame. He faulted his former chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, for selling him what one outside adviser described as “a bill of goods” in urging him to support Roy Moore, and he faulted Moore himself for being an abysmal candidate.

In the lead-up to Tuesday night, he had also groused about Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), saying he had been too aggressive in trying to push out Moore.

But the president, White House officials said, was in largely good spirits — surprisingly so, some thought — throughout the day. He called Jones to offer him congratulations and discuss areas where the two could work together. 

He also spent much of the day in preplanned briefings and meetings about the Republican tax plan and was excited about his afternoon speech extolling the plan — which helped shift his focus away from the Alabama loss. 

Exit polls Tuesday in Alabama, which Trump won handily last year, showed him at 48 percent approval. One adviser said Trump on Wednesday dismissed his poll results in Alabama and nationwide by saying they were “fake” and instead talked about his accomplishments.

Nonetheless, some in Trump’s orbit said they expected to see adjustments in the coming weeks. 

Even before Tuesday’s upset loss, the White House had been engaged in an ongoing internal discussion about beefing up its political operation, led by political director Bill Stepien. 

Stepien’s reputation within the West Wing is mixed. Some believe he is unqualified for the job. Others say he is capable and liked by Chief of Staff John F. Kelly but entered the post without the power or clout to execute his vision. 

And Kelly, while respected, lacks the background and experience to play the role of Karl Rove for George W. Bush or David Axelrod for Barack Obama, and Trump does not trust his political instincts, aides said.

A senior administration official, however, argued that Trump often acts as his own senior strategist and the White House doesn’t necessarily need an official political cranium.

The White House is especially aware that the president faces a more daunting political task, in part because the outside groups designed to support him have been noticeably ineffective. The goal is to create a political brain trust that is “more sustained, more organized, more nuanced,” a senior administration official said.

One option being considered is bringing on an additional senior adviser who could serve as the White House’s top political strategist. Stepien is unlikely to be fired, but Rick Dearborn, a deputy chief of staff whose portfolio also touches on the political operation, is expected to be reassigned to the Commerce Department, officials said. Recently, Dearborn has met with top Commerce officials about his likely new job. 

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders rejected the notion that any future staff changes to the political shop indicate dissatisfaction. “This is something that is normal and would be expected in any White House as we move closer to the midterm elections, to beef up the political operation,” she said. “This is not a reflection of shortcomings of the current political office.” 

Yet people close to the White House pointed to the appearance by Sen. Richard C. Shelby ­(R-Ala.) on CNN’s “State of the Union” two days before the election as an example of the challenges the political operation is facing. Shelby said he wasn’t voting for Moore because “Alabama deserves better,” but the political shop — which had not been checking in with him — received no warning.

In two tweets Tuesday night, Tony Fabrizio, a pollster on Trump’s campaign, wrote that the president “needs to get better political advisers.”

“This disaster could have been avoided,” Fabrizio wrote on Twitter, adding later that “there does need to be a recognition of the lousy political advice @POTUS has been getting and it needs to change. The future of @POTUS agenda depends on it!”

The West Wing found itself divided as the Senate race in Alabama finally reached its unexpected conclusion Tuesday night. Though some in the West Wing faulted McConnell for too aggressively trying to push Moore from the race, others — including the president — were angry with Bannon, who had pushed Trump to support Moore on the promise that he could win. 

Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.) said he had gotten lots of feedback from White House aides after saying Bannon “looks like some disheveled drunk who wandered on to the political stage.” 

“They say, keep it up, let him have it,” King said.

Andy Surabian, a political operative in Bannon’s orbit, argued that Bannon had never been a huge fan of Moore but was simply determined to use the race to make McConnell a potential albatross in Republican primaries. People close to Trump said that they expect his anger at his former chief strategist will subside and that the president is likely to continue speaking with him. 

“Team Mitch successfully delivered this race to a liberal Democrat and so they won the battle, but in the end, we will win the war,” Surabian said. 

Vice President Pence had initially encouraged Trump to support Strange in the party’s primary, but he stayed away from the race after Strange lost. One person who spoke with the vice president said he was glad to steer clear of the Senate contest, especially after the allegations against Moore of sexual misbehavior emerged; another person close to Pence said he didn’t see much strategic gain to be had in getting involved. 

The Republican National Committee and the White House also found themselves at odds. Though the committee had withdrawn its support for Moore after the accusations emerged, initially with the blessing of the White House, chairwoman Ronna McDaniel was given virtually no notice before Trump endorsed Moore. 

She was especially distressed at the process, when the White House forced the RNC back into the race, but accepted their prerogative to do so. She told Trump that she didn’t think there was any reason for him to get back involved with Moore — and that the decision could hurt him. 

But on Wednesday, at least, Trump seemed like a man who had accepted the results and was prepared to move forward. 

“Wish we would have gotten the seat,” Trump said during a brief appearance before reporters at the White House. “A lot of Republicans feel differently. They’re very happy with the way it turned out.”

“But,” he concluded, “I would have, as the leader of the party, I would have liked to have had the seat.”

• Upvote 9

27 minutes ago, PatriotBlooded said:

As a die-hard Trump lover, I despise Moore and Jones. However, Moore should not be anywhere near public office- he is a well meaning but clueless clown at best and a hate filled bigot at worst. I am at peace with it all because I can’t stand Moore anyway. 

So how did you feel about Trump endorsing Moore?

• Upvote 16

49 minutes ago, PatriotBlooded said:

Well meaning?  Meaning what?

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

OT: My sweet MIL sent me some fuzzy socks with otters on them for Christmas! Do you think it's okay to start wearing them early? I'm not pregnant nor an adult film actress if that helps you decide. :popcorn:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 23
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

but Rick Dearborn, a deputy chief of staff whose portfolio also touches on the political operation, is expected to be reassigned to the Commerce Department, officials said.

This is FUBAR at a nuclear level. 

So, I have experience in health care because I worked in a hospital. I have experience in education because I taught in government schools briefly. I have experience in finance because I was a bank teller. Briefly. I have experience in communications because I worked in an advertising agency. Shit, I should be Dumpy's chief of staff, shouldn't I? Or at least be a Cabinet member, right?

• Haha 15
  • Love 1

1. They moved every single polling station in my county with little notice, no updates on the county website and almost no signs at my polling station. I had to ask directions to find it.

2. Good luck with that recount when you got a judge to authorize an immediate destruction of the electronic tallies. You thought it would help you and now it assures you stay the loser.

3. A month ago, I asked the DNC volunteer did she REALLY think Jones stood a chance of winning. She told me yes. I thought she was wearing rose colored glasses. I cast my vote anyway.

4. My 21 year old informed me he did not have time to vote cause he had to get to work. I told him the lines were short, he was allowed to get late to vote, and if he wanted to use MY car he would go vote. Wasn’t going to say one word about who he voted for but he would vote. And FYI my African son, Moore declared last week that things were good in this nation back when we had slavery so go vote already.

5. Everything about the nightmare I endure in this state is so easily summed up in this morally depraved election process we just endured. People outside of this place tell me all the time my nightmare is unbelievable and I want to scream so is Moore, now do you get it!!!

I have a little bit of hope for us today. Not terribly much. One of my best friends is deeply grieving and was deeply committed to Moore and I am trying to love her when her politics makes my skin crawl.

c387da181290117d01990f4ed47717c1.jpg

Because seeing is believing. Y’all this was literally the ONLY sign that advertised my polling station. Had I not gotten out to ask, I never would have found it. DNC volunteers were canvassing our neighborhood and were able to point the kids to their correct new polling station (forgotten to change my DL address when we moved and didn’t want to screw up my voter registration until this was over).

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 4

20 minutes ago, chaotic life said:

1. They moved every single polling station in my county with little notice, no updates on the county website and almost no signs at my polling station. I had to ask directions to find it.

@chaotic life, thank you, thank you, thank you! America thanks you for your perseverance. You are a hero!

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

Reposting this:

I love that the top reply to an official WH statement is a Joker gif :P  What a time to be alive.

• Upvote 9

30 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

A culture disenfranchisement: how American slavery continues to affect voter behaviour.

We show that parts of the American South where slavery was more prevalent in the 1860s are today areas with lower average black voter turnout, larger numbers of election lawsuits alleging race-related constitutional violations, and more racial polarization in party identification. To explain this, we develop a theory of behavioral path dependence, which we distinguish from other theories of path dependence. We show evidence of behavioral path dependence demonstrating that disfranchisement can linger over time and that the effects of restrictions on voting rights can persist culturally.

But this time black voters turned out and their voters mattered! So happy to see this!

• Upvote 15

Yeah, those deeply red areas. That is area I worked as a Hospice nurse. I used to play a game when going on visits—count which I would see more of......personal crosses (yards, vehicles, anything not a church or cemetery) versus Confederate flags.

The more rural, poorer, less educated areas of this state are deeply distracting of all things they see as outsiders. They are deeply red because they are SCARED of anyone telling them what to do and cannot believe there is any other motivation at play. They have almost no social safety nets, no social resources, no access to healthcare and poor access to education and they absolutely do not realize such things would help them and improve their lives. I’ve worked Hospice, low income clinics, and rural access health clinics in those areas and they are very much still like the stereotypes of Appalachia in the 1920s and Appalachia has done a better job of modernizing and interacting with the outside world. And the safest part is that those areas are by NO means strictly white. This is Alabama. There is no such thing as all white except in the wealthy suburban communities. It’s that rather than bonding together over poverty and lack of access, they turn to racial divides to establish hierarchy even in their poverty.

Meanwhile, our large cities are not only progressive, Birmingham is often considered a Mecca of democratic and progressive social structures in the south and not merely the state. As our cities continue to align with the rest of the world, the rural areas continue to dig in with resistance. Birmingham and Huntsville have high LBGT populations and Montgomery is a majority black city. All combined, the total population in Alabama is shifting more minority, more diverse, more progressive, more liberal. It’s just that shift is minorities who have generations of being told they have no voice and transplants whose voices are distrusted by their transplant status.

If you look at the demographic break down of our votes this week, you can see the picture of this state well. Jones took over 90% of black men and women (and THANK YOU my black brothers and sisters for saving all of us from ourselves, you proved what the establishment has ignored since reconstruction, your voices ARE strong when you use them, I hope we can continue to work together to build this state better and stronger after your unprecedented bail out of this state). Jones also overwhelming took millennials and soccer moms. But even in MY generation he took our vote as well. Jones won the UNDER 65 vote by a huge majority. And those demographic break downs show how this state is changing. The issue is that the POWER is still concentrated in the status quo/good ole boy system of old.

Jones had my vote long before the sexual allegations came up. He had my vote over any Republican because of exactly what he stressed from the get-go.....kitchen table issues.

Alabama is one of the very few states that have refused to expand Medicaid. Add to that this immoral game being played over the CHIP program. Then add the unconciousable behavior of the state in decimating Planned Parenthood and I was sold on Jones early.

Alabama defunded PP with a promise they would move those funds to other programs to pick up the lost services. Fuck every person in this state who thinks they stopped abortions with that crap because the state merely STOLE those funds. I moved home four years ago and we still had PP when I got here. Let me tell you what I lost for my poor parents: access to birth control with dignity (health dept is where women have to go now and they tell me it is AWFUL there), STD testing, breast cancer screening (state programs offer mammograms and mastectomies only, I have no resources for BRCA testing anymore), Hep C screening (THRIVE will to HIV testing but not Hep C, and more women’s health services.

Alabama is in a healthcare crisis the likes of which the rest of the nation cannot fathom because you have ACA in ways we do NOT. I’ve practiced elsewhere and for marginalized Alabamians healthcare is like a third world nation now. The courts and legal system are no better. Family courts are horrifyingly broken. And DV services are grossly inadequate, underfunded and victims are slut shamed and attacked instead of believed and supported.

Jones won. Now he needs to stay tapped into those disenfranchised voices who gave him this victory because I assure you Moore is merely the symptom of the social issues in this state and not himself the problem.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 8