IGNORED

Lori Alexander 35: Closing Windows Because of the Fires

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sarah92, amen! Feminist women are more likely to speak forthrightly and respectfully than women who have been taught that they need to use their “feminine wiles” to get what they want.

19 minutes ago, Carol said:

the women used manipulation, pouting, and aggressiveness to get what they want.

The way Lori herself does?

Just now, Hane said:

@Sarah92, amen! Feminist women are more likely to speak forthrightly and respectfully than women who have been taught that they need to use their “feminine wiles” to get what they want.

Seriously, a lot of disrespect towards men that I see often stems from enforcing gender roles. For example you have the bumbling father who doesn't know how to take care of the children without his wife. I think this is a sad image. 

Many of these shows are actually written by men which tells me that these things have become ingrained into their perception of fatherhood and masculinity. Just a hunch really and one of my rants. But Lori and others promote this by encouraging husbands to work 80 hours a week, never have accountability for their behavior, and that they don't really have to take care of the children if they don't want.

*shrugs* I could be completely wrong about that. But I do know my other feminist friends and I have been really passionate about learning to respect both genders. 

47 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

I agree. "I Love Lucy," shortly before this, would not allow the word pregnant. There is no way anyone said "sex".

Even “The Brady Bunch” only mentioned sex once, and that was its final episode in 1974(Cindy wanted to breed rabbits).

Even as a feminist, I’m not sure I’d want a penis, except it would be kind of handy to whip out if nature should call when I’m not close to a bathroom.

As a person with a myriad of chronic illnesses it's beyond me why Lori would want to be defined by them. I look at every day as a new chance to challenge myself and not be taken down by what I can't do anymore. Every evening I write a "to done" list so I can see what I've accomplished throughout the day. I never want people to look at me and see My Illness(TM).

Lori seems to delight in illness so much that I have to wonder how much it actually affects her day to day life. I've seen people like her in PT. They love the attention that they get from their issues. It's funny that in her case it never affects the fun stuff very much, only the things she doesn't want to do. She also seems to spend much more time talking about it than suffering from it. There's no doubt that she's has had real issues in the past and you can be sure that if there were new ones we would hear about it. She is desperate for pity. 

I Love Lucy did have an episode titled "Pregnant Women Are Unpredictable" though even though the word was not said on air.  From what I've read, Lucille Ball thought it was ridiculous that she and Ricky (or any couple for that matter) had to sleep in twin beds.  That's why she eventually, she had their beds pushed together.  She was skirting the production code big time.  She and Desi consulted a number of priests, rabbis and ministers as to how to present the pregnancy on the air.  I think it would have been fine with Lucy to be honest with the word pregnant.

I'd seen married couples sleeping in twin beds on TV so much during my childhood that I thought that was the way that modern married couples slept.  I thought my parents were kinda backwards in that respect sleeping together in a double bed.  Can you say I was naive?

I stand corrected, I watched the wrong episode earlier. I watched the one in her blog and the lady did say the word sex.

These are the only two episodes I have ever watched. They really pushed the envelop to talk about equality and men and women roles, and push the envelop of what men and women do and how the men react, etc. Lori, of course, doesn't get it.

1 minute ago, EmiGirl said:

My mom says my great-grandmother got all kinds of offended of someone said the word pregnant around her.

What did she want people to say? Or just not mention the bulging belly?

7 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I stand corrected, I watched the wrong episode earlier. I watched the one in her blog and the lady did say the word sex.

These are the only two episodes I have ever watched. They really pushed the envelop to talk about equality and men and women roles, and push the envelop of what men and women do and how the men react, etc. Lori, of course, doesn't get it.

I think the polite way is to say "expecting" instead of "pregnant". 

14 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

You had to say "with child," "expecting," or "in the family way."

17 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

My mom says my great-grandmother got all kinds of offended of someone said the word pregnant around her.

I grew up not being alllwed to say pregnant. My dad hated that word. It was always called "in the mother way" instead. 

Just now, EowynW said:

I grew up not being alllwed to say pregnant. My dad hated that word. It was always called "in the mother way" instead. 

If it was me I would've called it being knocked up just to be a bitch.

30 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I Love Lucy did have an episode titled "Pregnant Women Are Unpredictable" though even though the word was not said on air.  From what I've read, Lucille Ball thought it was ridiculous that she and Ricky (or any couple for that matter) had to sleep in twin beds.  That's why she eventually, she had their beds pushed together.  She was skirting the production code big time.  She and Desi consulted a number of priests, rabbis and ministers as to how to present the pregnancy on the air.  I think it would have been fine with Lucy to be honest with the word pregnant.

I'd seen married couples sleeping in twin beds on TV so much during my childhood that I thought that was the way that modern married couples slept.  I thought my parents were kinda backwards in that respect sleeping together in a double bed.  Can you say I was naive?

My mother told me that when she was married in the early 60s, it was the fashion for married couples to sleep in two twin beds pushed together. I wonder if that came from I Love Lucy?

8 minutes ago, EowynW said:

What?? That is so weird. (no offense to your dad). Also, I've never heard that expression before.

8 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

If it was me I would've called it being knocked up just to be a bitch.

Oh we didn't dare say that kind of stuff to our parents. Too afraid. Besides, breeding is the lord's holiest blessing, don'cha know. 

@Hisey I grew up very fundie. Lots of common terms we couldn't say. I still get in trouble if my dad hears me drop "crap" when I'm visiting 

EowynW, I knew you grew up fundie, I just never imagined there could be an objection to the word "pregnant" (since it's such a holy goal and all). BTW, I love reading your posts because your marriage seems so solid and loving and I admire how you created a new life for yourself. 

We inherited my husband's maternal grandparents' bedroom set. Two twin beds, one dresser, one nightstand. They were married in 1929. My MIL used to say that was why she was an only child.

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

Lori seems to delight in illness so much that I have to wonder how much it actually affects her day to day life. I've seen people like her in PT. They love the attention that they get from their issues. It's funny that in her case it never affects the fun stuff very much, only the things she doesn't want to do. She also seems to spend much more time talking about it than suffering from it. There's no doubt that she's has had real issues in the past and you can be sure that if there were new ones we would hear about it. She is desperate for pity. 

Can't help wondering about Munchausen syndrome. 

30 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

I think the polite way is to say "expecting" instead of "pregnant". 

In the same vein, and going back to Lucy, there was an I Love Lucy episode titled 'Lucy is Enceinte,' wherein she announces she's expecting. Apparently it was okay to use the French term but not the English. :pb_lol:

My mom, who was born before the start of WW1, used "PG".  I remember the first time I heard her say it, probably in the 60's, it was almost hushed.  She got more confident as the years went by but I think she continued to say PG rather than pregnant for the rest of her life.  

After Bea Benaderet, who played Kate, died, in 1968, the major female character was a woman doctor, Dr Janet Craig, played by June Lockhart.  Dr Craig first had to convince the menfolk that she was competent to give them medical care and later on in her tenure on the show, she didn't marry an old boyfriend who wanted to take her away from the Shady Rest as she wanted the life she's started to make there -sans husband. Dr Craig also liked to play poker (and was good at it!) and talk railroads with Wendell.  Sounds kinda feminist to me!

I'm not sure how I feel about this Heidi Stone person Lori quoted. She seems incredibly long winded. And I very much disagree with a lot of her "me too" rant. 

I remeber that episode of Pitticoat Junction! PJ was part of my standard after-school re-run TV routine when I was a kid. Betty Jo was y favorite character, because she was a tomboy & wore jeans & played baseball while the other sisters were prissy & wore dresses & make-up. I never understood why she had to wear frilly dresses, aprons, & makeup & spend all her time baking in their cottage after she arried Steve, when he fell in love with her while she was a pants-wearing grease-monkey helping him work on his airplane.

I vaguely remember "pregnant" being whispered when I was a kid. Usually people said "expecting." I heard the expression "in the family way" somewhere, & said it front of my dad once. He got mad & said it was a "trashy & vulgar" thing to say.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived