IGNORED

Dillards 46: Now with Pants and a Possible Nose Piercing

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I do that as well, otherwise I spend far too long re-setting my keyboard back to English from French.

If you're on a PC, here are the alt codes:  http://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/windows/codealt/#accent

If you're on a Mac, try these:  http://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/mac/codemac/#accent

On an iPhone or Android, just hold the letter until the option for various accents shows up.

hope this helps!

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Looks like Derick definitely has braces again. I'm not sure how he's being 'sweet' here. I am surprised they have a Keurig still, I would have thought that Derick would've joined his ultra conservative brethren and gotten rid of it. 

The caffeine addiction was probably too strong.

3 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Not to defend Jim Bob (gross) but he genuinely does seem to care for Jill and I think she is his favourite. I don't think he sold her off to Derrick for ratings in some calculated move. I think that Derrick sort of found himself at the right place at the right time. I do think that Jim Bob would indulge Jill by having her be the first married daughter, something that probably meant a lot to her. And objectively speaking I would hazard a guess that most of the viewers would consider Jill to have been the most ready aside from Jana. She was much better with the younger kids, much more maternal than Jessa or Jinger. She seemed very eager to please and helpful and harder working than them. Combine that with Derrick who on paper and at first impression seemed like an educated guy who also had a "heart for Christ" or whatever, eager to do missionary work while also having a very reputable professional job with probably a pretty decent salary and benefits. I'm just saying it's very possible that Jim Bob had the best intentions. How was he supposed to know that Derrick was actually a lazy dirty hippie Jesus deep down? NOBODY here thought it and in fact most seemed to think he would save Jill.

all of this could have been solved by waiting and seeing. JB did not do that. He married Jill off to a recent college grad just starting his first ever job. I maintain that if Jill had been allowed to get to know Derick for more than a couple months they would have seen his true colors.

The Twitter endorsement by Derick and Cathy just makes me wonder if anyone tried to talk him out of it before, considering how quickly it came down.

On the lack of education front we’re watching the Crown on Netflix and Queen Elizabeth’s struggles and frustration about her lack of formal education, only educated enough to be a proper aristocratic wife not Queen is one of the interesting storylines. Seeing her take steps, ask for help, confront her mother on why she was purposefully stifled is really fascinating taken in parallel to the cult educations/ purposeful limiting of successful outcomes outside the designated parental goals.

As for braces on Derick, I can’t tell if it’s braces, retainer, or other form of headgear. Either way, having needed all that ongoing dental work must be pretty dreadful.

Since I inadvertently started it, I'd just like to thank everyone for their discussion about "butthurt." I've only associated it with the idea of spanking someone, and didn't know that the term was used for a slur, but I appreciate knowing so that I don't offend someone in the future.

Also, butthurt is in the OED? What a time to be alive...

I'll admit I thought JB married Jill and Jessa off for ratings and I still do. At the time the Bates kids were courting and were getting a lot of attention from fans. I figured JB saw the attention got jealous and set off to find boys to marry his daughters. Coming up with a teenage boy for Jessa and a boy Jill had never met before but ended up courting seemed...odd.  It made me think both relationships were started fast for ratings.  Jessa and Ben had a longer courtship but they also moved Ben in with them to speed the relationship up. Why? Why couldn't they develop naturally? JB seemed annoyed it was taking so long for Ben and Jessa to get engaged and marry. Why couldn't Jill and Derick spend more time together courting when he got back from Nepal? There was no reason to rush either relationship or try to.  I think he got lucky with Ben and Jessa figuring out a relationship (and so did Jessa) and not so lucky with Derick and Jill (not so lucky for Jill either). 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived