IGNORED

Dillards 46: Now with Pants and a Possible Nose Piercing

Coconut Flan

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried quoting from a few posts back and it was a no-go. Anyway, in response to something singsingsing  posted - you don't convert to Islam , you revert , as I was told by a young Jordanian Muslim.

I have no piercings. Not even ears. And feel pretty happy about that. I have a small tattoo though and am not even a little afraid of needles after jabbing myself multiple times a day during ivf.

I still have all my needles in a box. My box of ivf pain that I can't seem to part with. 

I have double pierced ears, no tats. As an insulin dependent diabetic for decades, I would be in trouble if I was afraid of needles. I was told to get my tragus piercing done at a tattoo shop.

Jeeez, just went on the Duggar family blog. 

Jill was wearing jeans for thanksgiving! That’s crazy! Pants! I’m excited. 

Plus, Derrick is no longer as sickly and skinny. I think being back in America is really, really good for them. The college food might play its part too. 

To many non-ex-fundies, none of these things might matter (“still the same beliefs bla bla”), but this is major. Piercings and pants are signs of de-cultification. Thank you Cross Church. 

Poor Jill is going through that awkward stage Jinger did when she started wearing jeans. The jeans in that pic at thanksgiving are about 2 sizes too big. 

Either I'm having a very difficult time interpreting facial expressions or this picture makes no sense. To me, she either looks happy or surprised about her laundry not having been washed properly. When I was a young mom something like that would have seriously irritated me and maybe she just takes things more in stride.

Screenshot_20171127-204410.png

31 minutes ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Tried quoting from a few posts back and it was a no-go. Anyway, in response to something singsingsing  posted - you don't convert to Islam , you revert , as I was told by a young Jordanian Muslim.

But from an outside/secular standpoint, yes, you do convert to Islam. 'Revert' implies that you were Muslim before, or that Islam is your 'natural state of belief'. I have no issue whatsoever with Muslims believing that, but it's a religious belief, not a basic fact.

But okay, for the sake of argument - maybe the Muslim women are trying to 'revert' Derick and Jill to Islam. ;)

Going back to the picture of Jill with hijabis, I wonder what they say to try to convert Muslims. We believe in Prophet Jesus (pbuh) and the virgin birth. We have an entire surah dedicated to Mary (pbuh). Since it's an Abrahamic religion, we share many of the same prophets. I hope they at least know we don't worship Prophet Mohammed (pbuh). That's one of the big ones that I need to keep telling my own family. That's not how Islam works, I've told my dad many, many times in the past 6 years.

I hope if the Dillards cook for them that it's halal and they respect that.

It's doubtful that Muslims will try to convert the Dillards. In Islam, there's the concept of giving dawah, which is explaining Islam (some do it more forcefully than others), but for the most part Muslims are not out there actively seeking to convert as opposed to Christianity, where they're told to go and make disciples of all nations and baptize them.

Those are my experiences with being Muslim and how we operate, obviously YMMV.

As for Muslim clothes, many are homemade, and in Minneapolis (I forgot who posted in the other thread from MN) there's a Somali mall downtown where many women sell their clothes and scarves and I know of a few seamstresses who make modest clothes for a living. Don't be shy to go in and look around, if you're up for it. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but there's lots to see.

My apologies for the long post!

On the subject of being afraid of needles:

No tattoos here and I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 22. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and people used to ask me if I was afraid of needles whenever my lack of piercings was brought up. It's like haha, no, you don't even know. It simply just took me forever to get around to getting my ears pierced.

Thinking about getting my lobes pierced again and I would get any piercing done at a tattoo/piercing shop. The guns they use at Clair's and similar places are risky, make the piercing more prone to infections, ect. 

Hope Jill went to a reputable shop.

IMO J & D probably believe a bunch of falsehoods about Islam. Even if you told them straight up, @Imagine20, they'd probably still believe what they want to. I've had some baptists tell me I worship the Virgin Mary since I'm a Catholic and have rosaries. And you would think the person who is actually worshipping that way would know. Eye roll... 

I don't get why that Muslim couple is giving J & D the time of day. Either J & D will get fed up when they don't convert them, or if that couple did convert, I feel like Jill and Derrick would dump them then for the next conquest of souls. 

Im not denying that people of different faiths can't get along, but that requires a respect that I don't think the Dillards have for their Muslim friends. 

And the nose piercing... I'm shocked!! Even if Jill is "rebelling" slightly she is not the type I would think would go that route (I say that as someone with a nose piercing!) Jill is not as vanilla as I thought. 

9 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

I don't get why that Muslim couple is giving J & D the time of day.

Maybe the other component of Jill's rebellion is that she's slipping some good shit into her Jesus Banana Bread.

On needles: I have five tattoos and had several piercings (some have since been removed) and I still have to psyche myself up for shots and blood draws. They're just not the same thing psychologically.

So does this latest picture finally settle the debate or are there people who want to argue that zits sometimes sparkle in the light? :pb_lol:

It isn't too surprising to me since it suits the earth mother bohemian aesthetic Jill has always aspired to, but it has GOT to get under JB and Meechelle's skin. First pants and now this!? Do you think JB is kicking himself for choosing headships who approved these new fashion developments? Has his extensive questionnaire failed him!? 

I hate the "surprised selfie" i don't understand why so many people do it.

And yeah, those pants and that sweater look awful. This is the awkward stage.

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I hate the "surprised selfie" i don't understand why so many people do it.

And yeah, those pants and that sweater look awful. This is the awkward stage.

"Caught myself taking a picture of myself! :pb_surprised:"

A nose ring...that's cool! Now if one of them will drop the courtship and no kissing crap, that would be some interesting news. Gotta say that I thought Jill would the last Duggar daughter to wear pants. Wonder if Jana will be next?

20 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

A nose ring...that's cool! Now if one of them will drop the courtship and no kissing crap, that would be some interesting news. Gotta say that I thought Jill would the last Duggar daughter to wear pants. Wonder if Jana will be next?

Not as long as JB is her headship.

@Imagine20, these are people who literally believe that they have to 'save' Catholics, you know the people who believe 90% of the core religious things that they do. It doesn't matter how much you your religions or values have in common, they believe every Jew, Catholic, Muslim, Atheist, Hindu, Sikh, etc etc is eternally damned because they "Have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior". To them it doesn't matter how much they share with their Muslim friends, NOT sharing the gospel means that they are letting their friends go to hell. 

It sounds really shitty because it is, but I promise you this is their mindset. Growing up, evangelism was not just encouraged, it was basically a necessity to be a good Christian. My senior year of highschool we roleplayed on how to argue with people of different faiths and how to find 'flaws' in their theology to convert them. I got so much flack from other students by saying things as simple as "You don't have to agree with other religions, but a good neighbor should be tolerant and show respect to other's religious beliefs". 

WTF?!?!?! I get overwhelmed with Thanksgiving and grandkids and Jill gets a nose ring and starts wearing jeans?  This is a sign the world is ending right?

This is definitely a nose ring. I am surprised she is wearing jeans. She wore a skirt to JB & Michelle's for Thanksgiving, most likely to honor their skirts-only rule, but she wore jeans to Cathy's Thanksgiving. It's probable that Jill is trying to be relatable to the college kids they are ministering to. It's also probable that she has had a faith crisis and that her complicated 2nd birth, leaving Central America, Derrick being fired from TLC, and Jinger wearing pants have all played a role. I remember after her 2nd birth she posted a lot of scriptures on mourning on Instagram.

In addition to the surprise face, another one I've notice a lot is the "sleeping" one. Like we know you're not sleeping because your arm is extended to take a selfie. I haven't seen that with the Duggars but it just started coming on my instagram feed and it kills me!!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived