IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin: Skinny for Jesus

nausicaa

On December 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Firebird said:

I Google imaged a few pics out of curiosity. She creeps me out. She looks scary and ghoulish...and kind of reminds me of David Bowie in labyrinth

I thought David Bowie was cute in Labyrith.  Gwen reminds me of the crypt keeper from Tales From the Crypt.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things that stuck out to me in the Remnant Christmas video. First, Gwen constantly adjusts her clothing, a sign of being self-conscious or uncomfortable. Second, she says the word amazing, a lot. She really draws it out, too. The children are aaaamaaazing. Everything is aaaamaaazing...

I'm finding it hard to feel bad for the adults. Gwen's "ministry" is so transparent and brittle much like Gwen herself, thats it's difficult to believe that anyone with half a brain could fall into this garbage. The children have no choice and I pity them.

1 hour ago, CelticGoddess said:

I thought David Bowie was cute in Labyrith.  Gwen reminds me of the crypt keeper from Tales From the Crypt.

She does remind me of the Crypt Keeper!  Apologies to the Crypt Keeper.  Also - I kind of worship Bowie and his talent, and I'm still crying over him.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:28 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Oh dear the Remnant Fellowship TV "channel" i.e., hundreds of videos on You Tube is a rabbit hole to be feared.  I fell down last night and barely climbed back out with my wits in tact.  THe WTF-ery is so strong there.  

The videos seem to fall into 2 categories -- 1) losing weight and keeping it off and 2) how to be a perfect Christian by worshiping Gwen God and losing weight/keeping it off.  Permanent weight loss is the linchpin of their beliefs.  Everything else flows from that and it all starts with Gwen says God says you need to be skinny.

The various cult members who appear in the videos are in awe of and completely worship Gwen.. It's disturbing to watch them fawning over her and how she has 'save their lives' through Remnant. It's also disturbing to watch her enormous hair that never moves, beige lipstick with dark lip liner, high, high platform heels and her outfits -- either skin tight pant/jeans or ruffly fluffy, foofy dresses.  But I digress.

Yes, I have fallen deep into the YouTube hole and it is scary. (I delete the videos from my view history after I watch them so I won't get crazy "Watch Next" suggestions.)

As to the part I bolded in the quote above, I would add that when people are speaking to/about/near Gwen, they seem nervous or even afraid of saying something that might offend her. The head "Food Committee" woman is a good example. "We are grateful to Gwen... We love what you've taught us..." *eyes dart nervously over to Gwen* "I didn't forget to thank Gwen, see."

ETA: Here's an interesting thread full of Brentwood locals discussing the church. It includes rumors of Gwen's son Michael cheating on his wife, Gwen paying off the mistresses and the family threatening his wife: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/brentwood-tn/TR0LJN27KCMABV2D0/remnant-fellowship-is-a-cult/p3

I work with a dietician, and she says that I should focus on maintaining my weight over the holidays.(Then again, she's an ebil Catholic, so...)

This is fascinating to me in so many ways. First, female cult leader. Second, it's based around weight loss of all things. Third, how in the world did she get all these people to move from all over the country to TN to be near her? And finally, where is all this money coming from? Is her program really that popular? I've never heard of it before. 

5 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

I’d be kicked out of the cult. I’m up a pound for Christmas :LOUCHE:

I'm up 4 since the week before Thanksgiving :wtsf:

7 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

Nah, you'd just be publically shamed, and asked to demonstrate your remorse by starving yourself and sending money.

I would be kicked out of this cult after like two days. I get HANGRY and quick.

What do they do about people that have diabetes or other nutritional disorders? This kind of eating could seriously kill somebody, even without anyone starving to death. They probably say diabetes is a sign of sin.

When I am hungry, I cannot eat slowly and finish after a few bites. I try to only eat when I feel hungry but when I am hungry, I eat as much as I need to until I feel full. I think her teaching is dangerous because it’s enough to make someone like me feel guilty about eating and I’m not even member. How can someone listen to this and not have anorexia? After watching a few videos, I sort of get anorexic thoughts...

On 23/12/2017 at 1:52 AM, CrazyLurkerLady said:

This is fascinating to me in so many ways. First, female cult leader. Second, it's based around weight loss of all things. Third, how in the world did she get all these people to move from all over the country to TN to be near her? And finally, where is all this money coming from? Is her program really that popular? I've never heard of it before. 

I'd never heard of it before either, but given it seems to have been marketed in the more conservative Protestant churches that's not that surprising. The weight loss part is fascinating - it is the weirdest version of prosperity gospel I've ever encountered. It makes perfect sense to me though given the constant social pressure to be a certain body shape - I can see how being thin becomes conflated with 'favour from God'. More difficult to see how Gwen becomes God, but that's pretty much cults for you. Start with leading you to the light, then take on the role of light. I don't get it, but I'm certainly not going to say it could never happen to me - I've read too many stories of otherwise normal people who fell into cults headfirst. From the outside it's easy to see the manipulation, but not so easy when you're the one being manipulated.  At least TN is in the same country and has indoor plumbing - that seems to be one of my requirements for moving to be near a cult leader now that I think about it! 

On 12/22/2017 at 1:33 PM, EyesOpen said:

I got a godly cold that made me lose my apetite, have no sense of smell or working tastebuds so I am down two kilos. I harbor no illusion that this is permanent.

1 hour ago, elliha said:

I got a godly cold that made me lose my apetite, have no sense of smell or working tastebuds so I am down two kilos. I harbor no illusion that this is permanent.

See? Even tiny cold viruses obey the will of God. Everything does! Except you, if you gain those pounds back, sinner. ;)

Someone noted upthread that, in several videos, people seemed nervous and approval seeking around Gwen or even afraid of her.  

I suspect she seeks out these kinds of people and rules with an iron fist and they may also be wrapped up financially somehow with Gwen. 

It brought to mind Doug Wilson, who also has a church empire (church, Canon Press, elementary, high school, college and seminary)  and wraps people up to create financial/emotional dependency.  For example, people are members of his church, but also teach in his school(s), and make the mortgage payments by taking in boarders who are enrolled in his college/seminary.  Perhaps someone owns a business and a large portion of customers/clients are church members.  Should one get crossways with Mr. Wilson, the customer base evaporates or the boarders go away, or one is summarily fired. 

4 hours ago, elliha said:

You obviously aren't goldy enough. I had the flu on Christmas Eve & Christmas and I lost 5 lbs.

2 hours ago, littlemommy said:

See? Even tiny cold viruses obey the will of God. Everything does! Except you, if you gain those pounds back, sinner. ;)

.... and I am sure I will be a sinner when the pounds come back on as soon as I start eating normal again. (I think I have already had more calories today than I did yesterday) :D 

On 2017-12-13 at 9:00 AM, Maxwell said:

Can't seem to find the explanation(s) you are referring to... can you point me in the right direction?

Me too please. I’d love to hear about the synchronized hand signing.

Earlier this month, older daughter and I went to a Wintersong performance showcasing our community choir. There was a very odd woman in the choir who did this hand signing thing, closing her eyes and rolling them around in their sockets while others sang. She seemed compelled to sing only certain songs. She was also Gwen skinny, so is it possible that she belongs to this cult? I’m in Canada, btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really curious how members of this group have healthy pregnancies if they are eating so little. Are they allowed to eat more when pregnant? 

I’ve been saying for years that people worship at the altar of weight loss....this takes it to an entirely different level! :my_confused:

I feel so so bad for the kids. I was encouraged strongly as a teen to lose weight (by parents and sister who truly believed they were helping) and it really messed me up for a long time. I was well into my twenties before I realized that my weight was not my self worth and that my eating habits were not moral failings. 

what a bizarre cult. I don't think I have seen anyone who looks like gwen. even jan crouch looked more human

I was reading one of the marriage testimonials on their wedding page and saw one that really frightened me

http://remnantfellowshipweddings.com/maginnis-langsdon-wedding/

In his "testimony" he says

Accompanying me daily was depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, paranoia, anger, lust, you name it. Eventually, life got to the point where I turned away from believing in any god all together, and I instead turned to drugs and alcohol.

I hope this is just your average fundie exaggeration because if he legitimately has schizophrenia and belongs to a cult that doesn't believe in medication that is really scary.

On 1/5/2018 at 1:16 PM, BabyBottlePop said:

I'm really curious how members of this group have healthy pregnancies if they are eating so little. Are they allowed to eat more when pregnant? 

The body is very good at protecting a fetus from mal-nutrition. Of course, there is a limit to this as always but most likely the moms are suffering more than the fetus.

I just got back from the dietician,  and I've lost seven pounds over four weeks(I usually see her every two weeks, but she took December 29 off).  Suck on THAT, Gwen! :pb_lol:

My daughter and her partner live in Nashville.  During the month of January, they are doing a "Whole30" food challenge (don't call it a diet, she tells me).  Since learning of Gwen Shamblin (her church is just down the road), I look at all diets food challenges with a skeptical eye.  The Whole30 program, since of limited duration, doesn't seem too bad, but if I notice my daughter's hair getting that heavenward look, I'll stage a pizza intervention.

:text-happynewyear::pizza:

(Finally unlurked for this)

I live about an hour from Nashville and know the area fairly well. None of this surprises me in any way. I'm just going to stay far away from the church and enjoy my food without a side of guilt. 

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I look at all diets food challenges with a skeptical eye

me too. All the diets that eliminate* complete food groups make me skeptical. A couple people at work are on some shake thing and I overheard them say they are really craving something to chew. Ah, duh! I have another friend that swears by Nutrisystem but I have seen her loose the weight, go back to normal food, gain it back. She didn't learn how to control her eating without the prepackaged meals and snacks.

I know eating in moderation or reducing portion size is hard work but it is the only way for lasting change. It is the one thing I agree with about the show "The biggest loser" they taught the contestants about correct portions, how to cook healthy, how to shop and eat real food.

Then again, I am preaching to the FJ choir!

*that are not medically necessary, like my daughter that is allergic to milk; and I don't mean vegetarians

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived