IGNORED

Charles Manson has died.

47of74

Ol Charlie Manson has moved to a warmer climate

Charles Manson, the mass murderer whose name became synonymous with evil after his followers' 1969 Los Angeles killing spree, died Sunday.

Manson, who spent the last 48 years behind bars, was 83. He died of natural causes at Kern County Hospital, according to California's Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Manson and his followers, known as the Manson Family, struck fear into the hearts of Los Angeles when they slaughtered at least seven people in the summer of 1969, including actress Sharon Tate, the pregnant wife of director Roman Polanski.

The world is a better place without Manson. We have enough cult leaders, now if something could catch up with Warren Jeffs...

I remember hearing about those two nights of murder and mayhem in California when I was young. I have read Helter Skelter many times over the years as I have been morbidly fascinated by this story. I even made my husband drive around looking for the Polanski house on Cielo Drive where the Tate massacre occurred. It is ironic that Manson lived to the ripe old age of 83, given that he senselessly took the lives of others who were so young.  I believe Sharon Tate was only 26 and, of course, she was 8 months pregnant. The unfortunate young man who happened by that night was a teenager, if I recall correctly.

So, the final chapter has been written.  I think it’s perfectly fine to rejoice that he is dead.

Good. He ruined so many lives and destroyed so many families. The world is a better place without him in it. 

I don’t know how I feel. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not some kind of dumb millennial Manson fan trying to be “edgy,” but part of me feels like Manson was the one who ended up getting the last laugh. Based on the research I’ve done on Manson, I think it’s safe to say he was a straight-up psychopath. Even as a young child, he used the same techniques he would later use in the “Family” to get little girls to do his bidding and then would claim that he was totally innocent and they had just done what they wanted to do. Manson didn’t care about being in prison, because even before the Tate-LaBianaca murders he had spent the bulk of his life in various types of correctional institutions. He was still able to get whatever he wanted in prison, from drugs to media attention to fans of his music and artwork. Even if Manson had been put to death, I could see him laughing as he was enveloped in poison gas. He seemed like a real-life version of the Joker, a criminal who is so outside of ordinary moral life that nothing can really deter or punish him. As evil as Manson was, we’re all still talking about him which is probably what he wanted most of all.

I have a weird ass cousin who wishes him happy birthday on FB every year. I don't get it. It's all lunacy and tbh I'm shocked he didn't get shanked in prison.

May his soul find in death the pain and chaos he so desperately tried to bring into the world during his life.

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

I have a weird ass cousin who wishes him happy birthday on FB every year. I don't get it. It's all lunacy and tbh I'm shocked he didn't get shanked in prison.

Wasn't for a lack of trying either.  Someone did set him on fire back in 1984.  They kept him in protective custody because any number of general pop prisoners probably would have tried to kill him so they could go down in history as the guy who killed him. 

5 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

He was still able to get whatever he wanted in prison, from drugs to media attention to fans of his music and artwork. Even if Manson had been put to death, I could see him laughing as he was enveloped in poison gas. He seemed like a real-life version of the Joker, a criminal who is so outside of ordinary moral life that nothing can really deter or punish him. As evil as Manson was, we’re all still talking about him which is probably what he wanted most of all.

I agree. I have done some research on him for the same reasons, I'm more interested in why people join and stay in cults, but the leaders are interesting too, of course.

Manson wanted to be famous, particularly for his music, but being famous for being evil was probably just as good. He was also institutionalized since childhood. I might be mistaken, but, I believe that he asked to stay in prison on at least one occasion ( on a release date prior to his murders). Famous and in prison is what he wanted, and it's what he got for the majority of his life. 

This podcast is pretty comprehensive; it covers Manson's early life in the first episode and the crimes in the second. My only complaint is that they repeat Sharon Tate's address an annoying amount of times in the second episode. 

My thoughts on Manson dying are the exact same as they were when Ian Brady died a few months ago, good riddance. Both were evil sadistic men who enjoyed every moment of torturing their victims families. Like Brady his remains or Ashes should be dumped at sea because a grave will become a shrine and those who see him as hero will worship him. 

On 11/20/2017 at 4:53 PM, Howl said:

Good riddance.  I hope he is cremated or has an unmarked grave. 

I course, if that's the case, I wouldn't be able to visit his grave to piss on it...I know, I know, y'all want me to not hold back and tell you how I really feel. 

My sister in law posted “RIP Manson” after he died. I did a double take, thinking it must just be a kneejerk, thoughtless thing to say, because if there’s anyone that does not deserve to rest in peace, it’s Charles Manson. 

I read the book written by Sharon Tate's younger sister a few years ago. Anyone who has any idea that manson was anything other than pure evil should read it.  I don't capitalize the letters in his name because he is not worthy of respect in any form.

Anyone interested in Manson might enjoy the Last Podcast on the Left episodes about him. Warning, it's crass. But it does do a good job of dispelling the prevailing  "evil mastermind" view of him. Charlie was crazy and fucked up and evil but it's kind of amazing he was able to pull something like that off given how unstable and crazy he was. Evil yes, genius no.

Archived