IGNORED

Museum of the Bible opening Saturday

mydoggoskeeper

The Museum of the Bible in Washington D.C. is set to have its grand opening on Saturday.  No surprise, the museum is hosting a black tie gala at the Trump hotel tonight.  The museum is reportedly free which may encourage many of our favorite fundies to make the pilgrimage.    I actually received a flyer for the museum in the mail -- seeing how DC voted in the last election, I don't think we are their target audience!

https://www.museumofthebible.org/

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Not sure if he owns it, but the Steve Green, the president of Hobby Lobby, is the museum board's chairman. So yeah, probably some heavy Southern Baptist influence.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I hope it's like the Creation museum and has people and dinosaurs hanging out together. 

I hope the dinosaurs are wearing hats. I could've sworn I saw a hat wearing dinosaur at the ark encounter. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Is that the one the hobby lobby guy owns? 

When my work friend drops me off at l'Enfant Plaza we go by where it is and she made a comment about how this was a museum filled with stolen artifacts. 

I had not realized that it was free. I'll totally go and report back. Although not until next year because we are getting to that time of year where I have no free time anymore. 

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I could've sworn I saw a hat wearing dinosaur at the ark encounter. 

You didn't make it up, there is a dino wearing a little hat. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, Snarfblatt said:

When my work friend drops me off at l'Enfant Plaza we go by where it is and she made a comment about how this was a museum filled with stolen artifacts. 

I had not realized that it was free. I'll totally go and report back. Although not until next year because we are getting to that time of year where I have no free time anymore. 

My evangelical parents are coming for Thanksgiving.  If they get wind that its open, I may be forced to go next weekend.  

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

You didn't make it up, there is a dino wearing a little hat. 

Before The Fall, Dinos were not ONLY vegetarian, but they were also very snappy dressers.  People forget this, because Satan's lies paint dinos as naked brutes, but actually they were once the pinnacle of fashion in Eden.  

How dinos were able to put on their hats remains a mystery as many of them did not have arms that reached the top of their heads, but we must remember that through God, all things are possible.  Even hat wearing lizard-birds.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 36
  • Love 3

I was searching for the picture of the dino with a hat, but can't find it. If you are going to have Jesus hanging out with dinosaurs, you might as well go all out and put hats on them. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

I see commercials for this "museum" on obscure cable channels. Not mainstream ones, but ones like the History War channel. We won't be going.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

How dinos were able to put on their hats remains a mystery as many of them did not have arms that reached the top of their heads, but we must remember that through God, all things are possible.

Amen. What I don't understand is, if you're going to the effort of making a huge exhibit about Biblical times or whatever, why you'd include dinosaurs. They're not exactly critical to the main narrative, and I'd imagine they would invite more questions instead of clearing them up.

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Remember when Hobby Lobby got in trouble for smuggling ancient artifacts for this boondoggle? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

I knew this museum sounded familiar... that's really unfortunate. Not like these sort of questions about the provenance of items in museums/galleries is unique, but still.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I was searching for the picture of the dino with a hat, but can't find it. If you are going to have Jesus hanging out with dinosaurs, you might as well go all out and put hats on them. 

But why a hat?  Wouldn't a loincloth or even pants be far better to hide the dino's defrauding naughty bits?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Happy to oblige...pip, pip, cheerio.

a-very-dapper-t-rex.jpg

• Haha 13
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, December said:

Amen. What I don't understand is, if you're going to the effort of making a huge exhibit about Biblical times or whatever, why you'd include dinosaurs. They're not exactly critical to the main narrative, and I'd imagine they would invite more questions instead of clearing them up.

Because the Ebil Gubmint Skewl System is teaching our childrens that dinosaurs existed before humans, and that evolution is real!! We can't has that!!

(Did I... did I just laspe into Weenese for a second there?)

• Haha 10
  • Love 3

I just have to say, that on a very boring, long work day, this thread cheered me up immensely.

And it reminds me of my curious little second grade self. I was going to a private school but when I was like 4 my dad bought me a book about dinosaurs and I studied it. I asked the teachers where the dinosaurs were in the Bible. No one to this day has ever had an answer. No one can say they didn't exist. I know the evangelicals believe they lived side by side with people but no one was ever able to satisfy my curiosity about how they fit into the Bible.

The first of many reasons I'm an atheist.

• Upvote 12

9 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

I know the evangelicals believe they lived side by side with people but no one was ever able to satisfy my curiosity about how they fit into the Bible.

I had a geometry teacher in high school that thought that the dinosaur skeleton fossils were either amalgamations of a bunch of bones people found and put together, or, alternately, placed there by Satan to trick people. 

No word on their little hats, though. :pb_lol:

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Love 1

Mr. Beagle and I live in DC and we have tickets to go to the museum next week. Would y'all like me to report back on what we see?

Disclaimer: we are both ebil atheists and we're going because a) we like history and would enjoy seeing some stolen artifacts and b ) there's supposed to be a cafe with Middle Eastern food and we're curious to try it. :) So I can't promise that my "review" of this museum will be snark-free. But I do promise to be as objective as possible and I am going into it with an open mind! 

• Upvote 16
  • Rufus Bless 5
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 4

11 minutes ago, legalbeagle said:

Mr. Beagle and I live in DC and we have tickets to go to the museum next week. Would y'all like me to report back on what we see?

Yes please!! I work only a few blocks of the Museum of the Bible, and I am so torn about going. One the one hand, I really want to see the artifacts and how they've renovated the space. One the other, I don't want to support anything to do with the Hobby Lobby crowd.

It will be very interesting to see what religious-themed theatrical productions they host in the future, and how "liberal" they will veer. The first show is Amazing Grace; the Musical  [https://www.museumofthebible.org/museum/world-stage]  

But there are a lot of options: Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  And dare I say it--Book of Mormon! : )

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I asked the teachers where the dinosaurs were in the Bible. No one to this day has ever had an answer.

Ooh, ooh, ooh!  I can answer that one!  Behemoth and Leviathan were dinosaurs.  Young Earth creationists told me so.

9 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

dinosaur skeleton fossils were either amalgamations of a bunch of bones people found and put together, or, alternately, placed there by Satan to trick people. 

Nah.  The same Young Earthers have claimed that God put them there to test our faith in the 6 day Creation story.

I failed the test.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

I got daring and clicked on Leadership at the bottom of the first page.

https://www.museumofthebible.org/leadership

We have Auntie Anne's pretzel founder.  Rick Warren from Saddleback and some guy with an MBA from a Mennonite College/University.  Among others.  

(tried to post this yesterday and the computer went wonky but look it's still here)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

So, for all their (many) faults, they will be accessible. Hopefully.

Long story short, last winter they hired a firm, which hired an institute, which I sometimes consult with on access issues. I was told I’d get $50 for 2hours work. Yay, money. The night before I found out who the client was, and had a huge meltdown and crisis of beliefs because I’m a queer atheist and didn’t want to support them. Then I thought about how some of my disabled friends are Christians and would like to go, so I should make sure it is accessible to them. And also, at least $50 of those evil peoples money went into my queer, disabled, lesbian, atheist pocket. So there is that.

anyway, we previewed some exhibits, some computer stuff. I wasn’t that impressed and didn’t find it enjoyable but I can definitely see how some people might. They didn’t have much Braille or read aloud abilities which turned me off, but as a person with autism and learning disabilities it was all basically accessible to me. The people in wheelchairs had some trouble with the heights of things. 

Despite the fact that nobody from the museum was present at the testing, I mentioned my queerness and militant atheism at least a half dozen times. I also wore plaid and held my UU chalice necklace out like a knot of garlic.

Anyway, if any of you go, do let me know if there’s Braille or audio description and how you liked it. They’re not good people, but I don’t know if they made a good museum.

Edited by anachronistic
Typo
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 6