IGNORED

Jinger 33: Beauty: By God!

Coconut Flan

59 minutes ago, JillyO said:

There is exactly a 0 % probability that I would ever hang up something with my name spelled wrong on it. WTF? I HOPE that was a gift and she didn't spell her own name wrong. But still, why would they hang it up? Ugh. This bothers me WAY more than it should on the Vuolos' account (see how I used the apostrophe correctly AND spelled their name right? ;)). 

Maybe a grandma or a great-aunt or a sweet little old lady from church made it (or had it made) for them and was so excited to give it to them, and is going to feel a lot of joy seeing it hanging on their front door? I mean, I can kind of imagine displaying something with my name misspelled in a scenario like that. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, the house could be implied, but as you said, the sign could merely refer to the residents, in which case no apostrophe is needed. 

In any case, it's in the wrong place, and if Jinger DID in fact make that sign, she can't even spell her own last name! Double D'oh! 

24 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

then the apostrophe is not necessary.  

However, many similar signs DO have the apostrophe because they are technically a shortening of "The Vuolos' House" or "The Vuolos' Residence", so the possessive may be implied with the noun omitted by convention (since you can tell you are at a house, presumably).

Except the sign on the wreath is "Voulo's" so it's still incorrect. The apostrophe should be at the end (never mind the flipped vowels). 

People misspelling their own damn last names on Christmas cards drives me crazy every year. Weren't we all taught around age ten to not need an apostrophe when pluralizing our names?! 

If it was a gift, then maybe they love it for the thought that went into it. I have some weird things that were gifts that I keep, because it reminds me of the giver. Especially if it was an older or now deceased friend. Same if it was from a child. But that's just me.

7 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I think it depends on how you interpret the sign.  If you take "The Vuolos" to mean something similar to "The Vuolo Family, established 20XX", then the apostrophe is not necessary.

However, many similar signs DO have the apostrophe because they are technically a shortening of "The Vuolos' House" or "The Vuolos' Residence", so the possessive may be implied with the noun omitted by convention (since you can tell you are at a house, presumably). This is also how you generally refer to homes if you are not using a street address for some reason, and how you would have been very likely to refer to homes in pre-modern times if the house lacked it's own name, so both the omission and the signage would have made a lot of contextual sense.  

I think the former is more trendy nowadays, but in my experience the latter is more common in vintage/antique signs.  

This is kind of how I would explain this to my English students who learn English as a foreign language. I would probably suggest the first version but the second one is not a mistake and would not be corrected. 

11 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I find Jinger and Jeremy's social media game really stilted. Everything seems posed and scripted, so much so that it's almost uncanny valley. It's like the fundie version of a Coca Cola commercial, except they're advertising themselves instead of soft drinks. Not really a criticism, as I'd personally have no idea wtf to do with millions of social media followers, haha. I wonder if this is just exactly what they're going for, or if they'll loosen up with time.

I'd rather see what JinJer is doing than the crap Derick spouts. Any day.

8 hours ago, nausicaa said:

People misspelling their own damn last names on Christmas cards drives me crazy every year. Weren't we all taught around age ten to not need an apostrophe when pluralizing our names?! 

Ahem. :pb_redface: My husband did that (unnecessary apostrophe) when he ordered our Christmas cards when our firstborn was a baby. We had already had a big difference of opinion about the first photo he chose, so I just didn't have the heart to point out his mistake when he added the apostrophe to the second version of the cards. (We also couldn't really afford to order a third set of cards.)

I have, however, tried to discreetly proofread our cards before he orders them ever since then. I do ask him to check my spelling sometimes, because he's good at spelling, but he makes some common mistakes in grammar and punctuation. Good thing I love him anyway! :pb_lol:

11 hours ago, Georgiana said:

It's like a better executed version of how Pris and Pecan were during their first years of marriage.  Pecan DEFINITELY had an image he was going for, and boy howdy did he and Pris struggle with it before their kids entered the stage where they could carry the lion's share of the "perfect family" focus.  Those two got very lucky that they make adorable fundie children because man....those youtube videos with the two of them weren't selling me on ANYTHING positive.  

I think what you and @singsingsing said are spot on here! JinJer's social media is weird and stiff and I think it's partially because they don't have the little toddlers that can look cute and do silly things that are easily filmed and put up on Instagram. And what else do you post about in Fundieland besides your family and religious stuff? That's how we end up with the weird photos of Jinger gazing at Jeremy while he smiles for the camera, and Jeremy's captions essentially saying "I love you, my meek wife, because you worship me. I mean Jesus. Yeah, Jesus."

11 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Maybe a grandma or a great-aunt or a sweet little old lady from church made it (or had it made) for them and was so excited to give it to them, and is going to feel a lot of joy seeing it hanging on their front door? I mean, I can kind of imagine displaying something with my name misspelled in a scenario like that. 

Maybe it was a gift, they know it was misspelled, so they hung it up, Instagrammed it to give the giver a thrill, and removed the offending sign shortly thereafter!  

3 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I'd rather see what JinJer is doing than the crap Derick spouts. Any day.

That's not exactly a high bar. :pb_lol:

10 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

And gets lower every day it seems.

I wanna see 'em limbo under it.

14 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

And gets lower every day it seems.

Derick might be in competition with Jill Rodrigues to see just how low they can go. 

5 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I wanna see 'em limbo under it.

Actually yeah I do.  I'll make popcorn with m&m's you bring the drinks. :pb_lol:

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Derick might be in competition with Jill Rodrigues to see just how low they can go. 

I don't want to down vote you with the disgust vote since he is the nasty one.   But yeah...

:puke-huge:

14 hours ago, divadivine said:

Jinger did all the lettering on the cards and things when she was living at the TTH. So, I would speculate she did the lettering on that wreath. She loves gingerbread people, too. 

WTF- someone downvoted this? She did the lettering on cards & stuff. It was on one of the episodes I actually watched. Weren’t they all sad when Jing moved to TX after the wedding because she did the lettering & artwork on the Christmas cards?

Also, Jing does love gingerbread people. She even posted the photos on Instagram of the gingerbread stuff DQ had given her- I remember gingerbread measuring spoons. 

13 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I think it depends on how you interpret the sign.  If you take "The Vuolos" to mean something similar to "The Vuolo Family, established 20XX", then the apostrophe is not necessary.

However, many similar signs DO have the apostrophe because they are technically a shortening of "The Vuolos' House" or "The Vuolos' Residence", so the possessive may be implied with the noun omitted by convention (since you can tell you are at a house, presumably). This is also how you generally refer to homes if you are not using a street address for some reason, and how you would have been very likely to refer to homes in pre-modern times if the house lacked it's own name, so both the omission and the signage would have made a lot of contextual sense.  

I think the former is more trendy nowadays, but in my experience the latter is more common in vintage/antique signs.  

Wouldn't it be the Vuolo's House, because they only have one house?

If it was a plural possessive (Vuolos'), wouldn't it be Vuolos' houseS?

18 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

(Snippity snip) Jinger is pregnant with quads. Their names will be Jingermy...

Just pointing out the exact moment I lost it!!! DEAD! LOL!

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

While I would love to see these two go head to head (my money would be on Jill...she seems scrappy), I don't think I could handle the hatred that would come spewing out of both of them. Definitely a dream fundie match up though!

39 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Wouldn't it be the Vuolo's House, because they only have one house?

If it was a plural possessive (Vuolos'), wouldn't it be Vuolos' houseS?

No. It's plural because there are several Vuolos. Otherwise it'd just be Jeremy's house or Jinger's house. If they had more than one house, it'd be the Vuolos' houses. If one of them had more than one house, it'd be Jeremy's houses or Jinger's houses. The number of houses has nothing to do with where the possessive apostrophe goes.

3 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Pris and Pecan

Quick thread drift....can I just say that it was a LONG time after hearing the 'pecan-thief' nickname that I finally heard the actual story about how they stole pecans? For years I just assumed it was a reference to his awkwardly tight pants.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived