IGNORED

Jinger 33: Beauty: By God!

Coconut Flan

53 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

While I agree with you on the whole, I do rather wonder how the Duggars would do in the social sciences and humanities. The hard sciences usually have a right or wrong answer during training. The social sciences and humanities don't. So, I idly wonder how a Duggar would stand up to, say, a critical discussion about Jane Austen's works, when there are no right or wrong answers- in the secular world. I suspect that they wouldn't do ambiguity well.

I don't think so, either. But I think they would do even worse in the hard sciences. I just don't think they could handle any of it, honestly. Not without some major intervention and major change in attitude that would probably necessitate questioning and rethinking their entire belief system and way of life. And I don't see any of them going there at this point.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I don't think so, either. But I think they would do even worse in the hard sciences. I just don't think they could handle any of it, honestly. Not without some major intervention and major change in attitude that would probably necessitate questioning and rethinking their entire belief system and way of life. And I don't see any of them going there at this point.

No argument from me. I suspect that the hard sciences would rattle the fundamentals, while the soft sciences would chip away.

4 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

No argument from me. I suspect that the hard sciences would rattle the fundamentals, while the soft sciences would chip away.

That's a great way of putting it!

Meta-question for you:

do you think Jinger knows about FreeJinger?

Hi Jinger, if you read here, please give us a sign ;-): how about in the next talking head you are filming please wink at us or do a heart with your hands!!

20 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Meta-question for you:

do you think Jinger knows about FreeJinger?

Hi Jinger, if you read here, please give us a sign ;-): how about in the next talking head you are filming please wink at us or do a heart with your hands!!

Considering the lawyers for the four sisters cited us in the lawsuit filed... yes. 

14 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Considering the lawyers for the four sisters cited us in the lawsuit filed... yes. 

Wait....What??!!!

11 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Wait....What??!!!

They didn’t cite anyone specifically. But they did state in the lawsuit that users here were able to figure out which sisters were victims almost immediately after the reports were released. They cited FJ by name, so I’m positive the Duggars are well aware this site exists.

Just now, VelociRapture said:

They didn’t cite anyone specifically. But they did state in the lawsuit that users here were able to figure out which sisters were victims almost immediately after the reports were released. They cited FJ by name, so I’m positive the Duggars are well aware this site exists.

But do they read often or are they even members? Jessa?

I doubt they read here much.  Would you want to read somewhere that frequently insulted your family, friends, and spouses?  Not saying what is written here isn't true or justified, but I can't imagine they would want to see it.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:18 AM, lomo6 said:

Clearly none of the Duggars are Ivy-material, and I think having kids will make it hard if not impossible for some of the young women. But most college graduates in the US are more like B/C students from Northwest Arkansas State - Tonitown (I just made that up) than they are like classics majors at Yale, or even econ majors at UT-Austin. Many even go back to school while holding down jobs or while being single moms. 

Hey, I was a B student at a couple of very average state and community colleges before I got my degree... and I still don't think everyone's cut out for those kinds of institutions. Yeah, you get a lot of absolute dumbasses in freshman classes, but most of those kids don't make it to graduation. 

I work as a copywriter and editor these days so I totally know what you mean about the average college graduate's writing skills (I've even worked with a few Ivy alums who come across as barely literate in their writing). The thing is that those people usually have other areas of expertise. Nobody gets out of college being totally mediocre at everything. I'm wondering if the Duggar kids have it in them to become proficient in just one subject. I mean, Jill was going to devote herself full-time to midwifery, and we know how that worked out.

24 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I doubt they read here much.  Would you want to read somewhere that frequently insulted your family, friends, and spouses?  Not saying what is written here isn't true or justified, but I can't imagine they would want to see it.

That is true but I would be curious as hell if I were part of the family ,

plus have you seen FreeJinger lately; it has become tamer and tamer over the years. Compare that to FJ 2013, well...

we are half a fan site now!

27 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

That is true but I would be curious as hell if I were part of the family ,

plus have you seen FreeJinger lately; it has become tamer and tamer over the years. Compare that to FJ 2013, well...

Yeah, but there also weren’t discussions regarding their sexual assaults back then. They have every right to feel however they do about their assaults, but I think it’d be difficult for many victims to read through the type of comments and discussions we’ve had here. 

40 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah, but there also weren’t discussions regarding their sexual assaults back then. They have every right to feel however they do about their assaults, but I think it’d be difficult for many victims to read through the type of comments and discussions we’ve had here. 

especially if they "forgive" him while we will never no matter what happens forgive or forget

at least that's me

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

They could be fishing for endorsements instead of actually being paid to promote that. I get that vibe with fundies often, that they'd love to be sent free stuff, so they tag companies when they talk about them.

Fundies aren't the only ones.  Lots of us tag companies hoping they'll work with us.  Most of us don't want free stuff we want money though. 

7 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I was lurking in 2013 but not signed up yet, so I can't really speak to exactly how and to what degree it was tamer. But, I genuinely appreciate that every single discussion here isn't just typical online bitching about some stupid sweater, or every other silly random thing that exists within 500 miles of the TTH (because obviously those things are all the Duggars' fault). Sometimes we (myself included) defend them because snarking on every.little.thing. that isn't even an exclusive trait to them just distracts from the very real damage their cult, politics and lifestyle do.

If by any chance the girls do lurk around here every now and then, I hope they would notice how much respect and right to privacy has been offered to them by many of us (not everyone of course) as very real victims who deserve more in life. Kind of a silly line of thinking, but just some late night musings. :)

Actually, it was much less tame back in 2013, pre-Curious. It has got much more tame here since then, in terms of Duggar criticism and expressed dislike. It used to be over-the-top ugly sometimes back then, so mellowing a bit isn't all bad. But I agree that the Duggar threads are half a fan site. There are some rabid Duggar defenders on here.

The only thing I will ever express sympathy about concerning any adult Duggar is the molestation. 

The shiny weddings and babies don't impress me. Lipstick on a pig.

I fully agree @snickers34 with the culture here being more than just BEC, I also think the culture of online snark in general has changed. Yes, there is a current increase in political and hateful vitriol, but I'd say as far as celebrities has gone it's softened and changed with time. Perez Hilton is a good example of that movement, from pure BEC-snark-bullying to less of that. Whether that's due to slander suits, genuine remorse or just growing up, I don't know.

I also think people have become much more aware of how the anonymity of the internet isn't truly anonymous, even on this site. On an insomnia bend I went down the Burris rabbit hole this week and not only was it majorly messed up, but quite a few folks were able to identify them/ find the major holes/ etc. I believe that's why admins offer verification for posters that have real connections, because people are weird as can be. The role playing fake social media accounts to me are beyond bizarre. 

Back to a bit of BEC: Is there some sort of yearly salutatorian awards here? Because I think Derick is running for Josh's reigning championship on most well deserved snarked upon Duggar in the media relations category. 

If I were Jinger it would freak me out that a website like this existed. Maybe that's just my retiring personality...but I think most people would not cope with the idea of "this." I'd mentally block the entire thing. It would fuck with my whole sense of self. ....We're dangerous to her everything.

14 hours ago, cascarones said:

The idea that Creationists can't be scientists is a silly and often repeated one, there are plenty of scientists who reconcile evolution with intelligent design or the simple idea that time is a human construct and doesn't apply to x,y,z. 

I can't even count the number of Dr's, Engineers, Nurses and other science types I have gone to church with. I'm not sure of the nitty gritty of what they believe and how they reconcile it but they do. 

On the hard sciences/ social sciences/ humanities front

I did a Sociology degree complete with some thesis work, I'm not sure that someone with only a SODRT education could succeed without some serious remedial work. The writing skills, reading comprehension, critical thinking skills and even just things like properly writing a bibliography and skills like using correct citation methods etc are likely all areas they would struggle with. And it's a steep learning curve without any hand holding. I'm sure some of them have the raw intelligence but they would be sorely under prepared. And I think that's the case regardless of area of study. 

(Excuse my poorly written response. My brain is tired and slow.)

Yeah I doubt most of them have much interest in reading here, especially those without combative personalities. For instance, Derick seems like the type that likes to start arguments so maybe he'd read here. But even then, he has enough material on his Instagram and Twitter, so he doesn't exactly need to stray from there to find people criticizing him.

I can't picture someone with a gentler personality like Jinger wanting to read post after post criticizing her parents, siblings, and husband. 

5 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I can't even count the number of Dr's, Engineers, Nurses and other science types I have gone to church with. I'm not sure of the nitty gritty of what they believe and how they reconcile it but they do. 

On the hard sciences/ social sciences/ humanities front

I did a Sociology degree complete with some thesis work, I'm not sure that someone with only a SODRT education could succeed without some serious remedial work. The writing skills, reading comprehension, critical thinking skills and even just things like properly writing a bibliography and skills like using correct citation methods etc are likely all areas they would struggle with. And it's a steep learning curve without any hand holding. I'm sure some of them have the raw intelligence but they would be sorely under prepared. And I think that's the case regardless of area of study. 

(Excuse my poorly written response. My brain is tired and slow.)

I agree 100%. None of them are prepared for uni and they're lazy to work hard on remedial classes. However, I could see a few of them who seem hardworkers get into college. Jinger is talented but seems very lazy for academics like the majority of the Duggar clan.

I have a bachelor's on Education and I just had to do a semester of remedial work on chemistry, biology and physics to get into Medical School soooo... College is not a picnic. 

10 hours ago, LacyMay said:
On 11/16/2017 at 11:08 AM, cascarones said:

The idea that Creationists can't be scientists is a silly and often repeated one, there are plenty of scientists who reconcile evolution with intelligent design or the simple idea that time is a human construct and doesn't apply to x,y,z. 

Well, I think the difference is moderate christians (follow christ's example by not being a dick and helping others) vs  fundamentalist christians (who literally believe every single detail in Genesis as it's written). It's interesting because while fundamentalists *seem* to be stronger in their faith, they cannot handle any slight variation or discovery that contradicts the exact words of the bible, otherwise their whole world view shatters. 

I dunno, Kori Wissmann graced us with her presence a few years back pretending to trash the Wissmanns under another name. It's always possible that we could have a duggar in our midst (i'd like to think they come on and help stir the pot).

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived