IGNORED

Maxwell 15: Simplifying Thanksgiving into Less than Regular Dinner

Coconut Flan

All fundies think they have all the answers to raising kids the right way. Then one rebels and they sit scratching their heads not having any clue as to what went wrong. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, catlady said:

however the big jetted tub-for-two in the corner of the room itself is something i've seen several times before.  you can soak with or without your bathing buddy while having a nicer view than of the toilet.  

You learn something every day on FJ!  But I hope those rooms have separate toilets ... there is such a thing as too much togetherness. :)

That seems to be the "best" room at the motel Inn.  King bed and whirlpool bath.  Other rooms lack the whirlpool bath.  The Inn does seem clean but the Yelp reviews are very mixed.  The Bonts bought it comparatively recently and apparently they are renovating it.  John could be useful there, when he is done with his house.

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

You learn something every day on FJ!  But I hope those rooms have separate toilets ... there is such a thing as too much togetherness. :)

the ones i've been in, yes--separate bathroom with sink, toilet, and shower.  the tub in the room is more of a relaxation/couple thing.  :smile:

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Holy crap on the matching outfits. The only way you can tell them apart is that Mary has the longer hair tied in a plait, and that she’s slightly taller. They’re 25 and 21 for fuck’s sake!!

Preach it, sister!  There is one picture there where I thought the house must have had a yet to be demolished mirrored wall in the dining room.  See Anna and Mary on ladders smashing hammers at the ceiling.  Wearing the same skirts, same white sweat shirts and same red tops under the sweat shirts.  Both standing on ladders in the same position.  The only difference was their hair and their different color hats.

It was supposed to be really hot that day, and the photo of Sarah looking flushed and a bit sweaty is probably the nicest pic I've ever seen of her.  She looks pretty, natural, and almost not posed!

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I thought someone said the Bontragers were ex-Menonnite but on the Dutch Country Inn site they say Amish.

http://www.dutchcountryinnkalona.com/about.html

It looks pretty bare bones.  More motel than hotel IMO.  There is a photo of one of the hotel rooms - the bathtub is in the corner of the bedroom!  Yikes.  I hope there is a separate loo. :mouse-shock:

Are there Beasts in the rooms?

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

All fundies think they have all the answers to raising kids the right way. Then one rebels and they sit scratching their heads not having any clue as to what went wrong. 

Exactly. I think the Maxwell kids never tried to rebel because their father had scared them so much about the outside world they are to afraid to see what is out there. 

31 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Exactly. I think the Maxwell kids never tried to rebel because their father had scared them so much about the outside world they are to afraid to see what is out their. 

I'm surprised that they haven't done a complete 180 after seeing that it isn't all that bad out there/here. The way Steve goes off reminds me of DARE style anti-drug teaching. I've read some studies that say kids who go through that training versus harm reduction style education end up doing more drugs (Kinda like anti-sex (mis)education)

Of course, some of the kidults - especially the male ones - might have "rebelled" a bit, or a lot for Steves standards. We just wouldn't know about it because it wouldn't be put on the blog, and it wouldn't be anything extreme enough to be apparent, like the Pennington issue.

14 minutes ago, nomoxian said:

I'm surprised that they haven't done a complete 180 after seeing that it isn't all that bad out there/here. The way Steve goes off reminds me of DARE style anti-drug teaching. I've read some studies that say kids who go through that training versus harm reduction style education end up doing more drugs (Kinda like anti-sex (mis)education)

Interested statement about DARE.  I had DARE 3 times (6th, 9th, and 11th grade). I personally have never tried drugs not because of DARE though.  However, I know many who have done drugs even with 3 years of DARE. 

John just looks so happy compared to when he’s with his family. I really hope he’s doing all that work on the house to flip it later. I know I’ve said this before...

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

Interested statement about DARE.  I had DARE 3 times (6th, 9th, and 11th grade). I personally have never tried drugs not because of DARE though.  However, I know many who have done drugs even with 3 years of DARE. 

We used to call it Drugs Are Really Excellent.

...but the dining room had a vaulted ceiling, so John decided to go ahead and tear out both the kitchen and dining room.  

I admit I'm a bit distracted this week, but I don't understand this statement at all. What am I missing?? Why did the vaulted ceilings necessitate tearing out the kitchen and dining room?? 

Sarah's writing is like decoding a very bizarre puzzle; isn't it?  

@usmcmom,  i don't understand why in the Sam Hill they'd tear out a vaulted ceiling!  People put those in, not tear them out.

I took a look at the wedding registry on The Knot this evening.  I do believe that it's the first time I've ever seen pruning shears on a registry before.

45 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I admit I'm a bit distracted this week, but I don't understand this statement at all. What am I missing?? Why did the vaulted ceilings necessitate tearing out the kitchen and dining room?? 

Sarah's writing is like decoding a very bizarre puzzle; isn't it?  

I thought the EXACT same thing. Then I thought, "does she mean dropped ceiling?"

Because dropped ceilings suck.

3 hours ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

John is at the Bible Bee. 

How exciting that one of the Maxwells is marrying someone with social media. 

IMG_2500.PNG

Man, their kids are sure going to have hypnotoad eyes.

8 hours ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

John is at the Bible Bee. 

How exciting that one of the Maxwells is marrying someone with social media. 

IMG_2500.PNG

Well, at least Bible Bee is one thing John and Chelsy's kids will probably be allowed to do. They'll get to be in a room with unrelated kids at least once a year. Have any of the Maxwells ever competed at Bible Bee? Jesse and Mary and maybe Anna would have been young enough to go when I first started following their blog, but I don't recall any posts about it. I also haven't seen anything about Abby competing at Bible Bee. With all the time the Maxwells spend memorizing Scripture, you'd think they would be able to win a prize. (What does one win at Bible Bee, anyway? A trophy? A free trip to the Creation Science museum? A special edition Bible?)

23 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Well, at least Bible Bee is one thing John and Chelsy's kids will probably be allowed to do. They'll get to be in a room with unrelated kids at least once a year. Have any of the Maxwells ever competed at Bible Bee? Jesse and Mary and maybe Anna would have been young enough to go when I first started following their blog, but I don't recall any posts about it. I also haven't seen anything about Abby competing at Bible Bee. With all the time the Maxwells spend memorizing Scripture, you'd think they would be able to win a prize. (What does one win at Bible Bee, anyway? A trophy? A free trip to the Creation Science museum? A special edition Bible?)

One of the Bontrager sons won $100,000. That’s not a typo.

2 hours ago, lilith said:

Holy crap on a cracker, seriously?? :jawdrop: I wonder where all that money comes from? I mean, that's enough to "buy a house debt free" in the areas where a lot of these fundies live...no wonder this thing is so popular!

5 hours ago, lilith said:

That's why he's not allowed to compete this year (it's Taylor). If he won last year he can't participate again this year. 

And you'll notice the Bible bee has some non white people so not only do they get to hang out with non related peers, but they aren't white. These fundies always live in very white rural areas. 

18 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

We used to call it Drugs Are Really Excellent.

Reminds me of the joke What does Lord stand for?  Let Oral Roberts Die.

On 11/15/2017 at 5:36 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the bed skirt + cover + pillows is just way too much. If she change s the bed skirt to a solid color and got rid of some pillows, it would be much better. 

The tablecloth looks very out of place in a bedroom, and talk about a dust magnet. And what's that thing hanging on the wall above their bed?

A bit OT:

Comment I just posted in the “JOHN’s house!” section, because I’m a twunt that way—

“John’s house! How exciting! Where exactly will Chelsy be living after the wedding, seeing as it's HIS house?”

It will never see the light of day.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived