IGNORED

Maxwell 15: Simplifying Thanksgiving into Less than Regular Dinner

Coconut Flan

The Maxwells seem to have simplified Thanksgiving right out of Thanksgiving along with possibly not providing enough food for everyone to leave the table full.  

Continued from here:

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they have TWO desserts now?! Don't go too crazy Maxwells! I can't imagine Thanksgiving without sweet potatoes or cranberry sauce.

Since they seem to be cooking a normal meal, what sort of prep are they spending the day before doing? 

The Maxwells take the joy out of every single thing. 

4 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

Chelsy updated her blog about their one year anniversary. Cute photo of them. 

Did you notice she said relationship and not courtship? 

Has courtship become a dirty word since Josh Harris has talked about being wrong on some things in his book about courtship?

The Bontragers say relationship instead of courtship. I think they see more value in relationships and have more relaxed rules than Stehovah. John looks happier there than in Kansas. 

16 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

The Bontragers say relationship instead of courtship. I think they see more value in relationships and have more relaxed rules than Stehovah. John looks happier there than in Kansas. 

The Bates are also dropping the word courtship it seems. I just wonder if the fundies are trying to disassociate with the courtship model although they are still doing things the same way. 

If I were one of Teri or Steve's "not Christian" families I would be fucked off by their last post.

I don't know much about Christianity but I'm pretty sure Steve doesn't get to make distinctions who is and who isn't one. Fucking prick.

44 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

So they have TWO desserts now?!

I suspect that some of the extended family are not going to be there this Thanksgiving.  Or Teri can't do maths because 5ibs of potatoes shouldn't be enough, even with dinner rolls. 

They make Teri's favorite salad the day before.  It has to chill for 24 hours.  It has boiled eggs and crumbled bacon in it.  The rest is peas, iceberg lettuce, green onions, and then the whole thing is covered with a thick layer of sour cream mixed with mayonnaise. :puke-right:

I'd prefer a decent selection of vegetables myself.  And dressing.

I also catch a fib.  Only 2 desserts.  The Maxwells are big on pies.  I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure there have been photos of at least 3 pies at some Maxwell celebrations.  John even made his own "chunky chocolate pie" at one point.

New post.  Teri defines Christianity.  And it isn't "liberal churches."  She also handily tosses both her Dad and Steve's Dad under the bus.  My bolding:

Regularly people say to Steve or me that they didn’t grow up in a Christian home, therefore they don’t know how to have a Christian home. We like to encourage them with the fact that neither of us grew up in Christian homes either.

After our salvation, though, we began to grow as disciples of Christ, through God’s Word. That impacted our lives, teaching us how to have a Christian home, where Christ is part of every fiber of each day.

Both Steve and I went regularly to liberal churches on Sunday mornings as children, not ones where salvation is preached or taught. Our parents did not have personal relationships with Christ. They weren’t saved (born again, converted) until we were grown and no longer living at home.

What a joy it was for Steve and me to be saved early in our marriage and then to see our dads saved years later. Steve’s dad and mom divorced when he was a teen, and after his dad’s salvation, when Steve was in his 30’s, Steve’s dad wrote and said he was sorry for all that went on. At my dad’s salvation, he changed from his Army career being his life to his Lord Jesus being his life. Our moms were saved after we left home but before we were.

Fuck you, Teri.

And from the comments - Teri responding to someone wanting to "save" their parents.

Yes, pray diligently for your parents and let your light shine before them. I remember the weekend Steve and I, as married college students, were earning money by doing landscaping for my parents, who were moving into a new home. During a work break, I was talking to my dad about the Lord. He looked at me sternly, and said, “I don’t want you to EVER talk to me about those things again.” So all I could do then was pray, and God certainly mightily worked through the circumstances that brought my dad to Him.

Let the light shine up your rear, you insufferably arrogant woman.   And stop patting yourself on the back.

Also, reason #3,425 never to hire a Maxwell.  They try to convert the people paying them. ;)

Tonight for dinner I made hamburger soup using Chelsy’s aunt’s recipe.  The Mennonite Church they grew up in published a cookbook I bought(its local to me) with the names attached to the recipes.

It’s delicious and filling. If Mrs. Bontrager cooks like her sisters(and from the blog I’m sure she does), I’m surprised starving leftover loving John hasn’t moved in with them already.

Also, that’s the most pathetic Thanksgiving menu I’ve ever seen. Honestly,  what in the world do these women do all day?

I had to comment about the Maxwell's Thanksgiving dinner. It just seems sad. I'm a godless heathen and I made a more luxurious meal for lunch today. Granted I did have the day off but for goodness sake we are comparing my lunch to their Thanksgiving and between my husband and I and the instapot we manage to eat similarly every day. For a special occasion like Thanksgiving my goal is always to have so many delicious offerings that guests did not stop eating when they were full - they stopped eating when they hated themselves for eating so much. In case Steve reads here: here is what we ate for a run of the mill lunch:

*pasta with green beans, shiitake and cremini mushrooms and frizzled shallots

* green salad with pears, pecans and blue cheese and a homemade maple mustard vinaigrette (a big salad and there are beans and mushrooms in the pasta so I'm counting this as 2 vegetables)

* homemade pineapple upside down cake (lately I've been on a kick of making old fashioned desserts) with homemade ice cream made by my husband (counts as two desserts in my books)

As a member of a liberal church, I find Teri's latest post offensive. The people in my church are every bit as Christian as she is!

I just realized that John Maxwell paid 96k for his house.  96k would get me one twentieth of a decent (not a teardown or a townhouse/condo) house in my metropolitan area.  :( 

If I were in John's area, I could legitimately own TWO houses.  

I've clearly gone wrong somewhere along the way.  

Heck, the Single Gal’s Idiot Dinner I’m cooking right now sounds more appetizing than the Maxhellian T-Day dinner:  stir-fry made of frozen veggies and tofu from Trader Joe’s. 

I decided to look at the Bontrager blog and I see that they, like the Maxwells did a "random things we have been up to" blog post. But the Bontrager one is so much better. Probably because they actually leave the house. 

There is also a cute picture of Chelsy and John with the ABC girls. 

1 hour ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

As a member of a liberal church, I find Teri's latest post offensive. The people in my church are every bit as Christian as she is!

Me too!  Fuck that sanctimonious bitch.

I hope this pic pissed Coward Steve off.  In the compound too.  Way to go Stud John!

IMG_9688.JPG

17 minutes ago, Snarfblatt said:

I decided to look at the Bontrager blog and I see that they, like the Maxwells did a "random things we have been up to" blog post. But the Bontrager one is so much better. Probably because they actually leave the house. 

There is also a cute picture of Chelsy and John with the ABC girls. 

The one with the ABC girls John is grabbing his leg so tight to not touch Chelsy it’s sad...

I'm guessing they're going to be flower girls. I wonder if Ruthie and Lydia will be involved, seeing as both Chris and NR-Anna will be in the wedding party. 

4 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I don't consider the Maxwells to be Christians. They worship the word of Steve and don't follow Jesus' teachings, especially the ones about judging others. 

9 hours ago, formergothardite said:

So they have TWO desserts now?! Don't go too crazy Maxwells! I can't imagine Thanksgiving without sweet potatoes or cranberry sauce.

And how much work does cranberry sauce take, really? If you're doing the stuff in the can, its ten seconds tops to work the can opener. 

...yes, I know you can make cranberry sauce, but dammit, the trashy side of me loves the canned cranberry sauce. :shrug:

5 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

And how much work does cranberry sauce take, really? If you're doing the stuff in the can, its ten seconds tops to work the can opener. 

...yes, I know you can make cranberry sauce, but dammit, the trashy side of me loves the canned cranberry sauce. :shrug:

We go crazy on Thanksgiving and have two cranberry sauces. One jellied canned for childhood memories and one homemade cranberry pear sauce because I love it. The cranberry pear one, takes 20ish mins and I make it the night before.

We will also be having 3 desserts and we are only feeding 9 people. Because it is Thanksgiving. And leftovers. 

My mum got the Mary Berry Christmas Cookbook today :pb_biggrin: it had a little sticker on the front that said “In Mary We Trust” and I just went “yep” :pb_lol: If you’ve seen The Great British Baking Show you’ll know who she is. For those who don’t know: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Berry

When I make cranberry sauce, I always add a miniature bottle of Grand Marnier to it. It gives it that extra zip.

10 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

My mum got the Mary Berry Christmas Cookbook today :pb_biggrin: it had a little sticker on the front that said “In Mary We Trust” and I just went “yep” :pb_lol: If you’ve seen The Great British Baking Show you’ll know who she is. For those who don’t know: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Berry

I farking love Mary Berry!

I like her replacement on GBBO as well though, fortunately - was worried it wouldn’t be the same without her. Well, it wasn’t the same, but I’m still addicted nonetheless.

(No spoilers please - it’s only just started screening here!)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived