IGNORED

Hildale elections

22 hours ago, elsiedindin said:

The backlash against the FLDS is growing.

THANK YOU for this update!!!  I'd been reading about this leading up to the election, and this is a GREAT outcome! 

Interesting that the apparent new mayor is a plural wife. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for consenting adults doing whatever the fuck they want in their bedrooms, but I would have thought it would be a problem for the “normal people” that never had anything to do with the FLDS. 

The soon to be new Mayor is a Jessop. Unless her surname is a coincidence she quite possibly has relations who are still part of the FLDS and an understanding of the culture of the cult, which will probably be helpful in her role.

The soon to be new Mayor is a Jessop. Unless her surname is a coincidence she quite possibly has relations who are still part of the FLDS and an understanding of the culture of the cult, which will probably be helpful in her role.

I clicked a few times on related articles. She’s someone who left, but her husband has a second wife that was acquired after they left so they still believe in the principle at least.
Don’t get me wrong, I have no issues with that. I just would have expected other people around to. In general, I find polyamory of any kind to be something that isn’t terribly accepted by the mainstream.

3 hours ago, Destiny said:

Interesting that the apparent new mayor is a plural wife. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for consenting adults doing whatever the fuck they want in their bedrooms, but I would have thought it would be a problem for the “normal people” that never had anything to do with the FLDS. 

I was also rather shocked, but then realized that this isn't a part of Utah that is filled with "normal people." A Jessop beat a Barlow in a place where polygamy is an ingrained part of the culture. I mean, the place has fewer than 3000 people and 325 registered voters, and polygamists tend to have huge families.  Upon reflection, for me at least, that she's a polygamist probably was a positive factor for many of those 325 voters.

I was also shocked to see that Elissa Walls has returned to Hildale, but it sounds like she's trying to be a force for positive change.  That move says a lot about Warren Jeffs (and by extension, Lyle) losing power.  I'm curious about how things will progress as well.  So many people were raised with such incredible brainwashing, and it sounds like many underwent terrible experiences before turning against/being expelled from the cult...but it's difficult to undo that damage.  I hope for the best, but I wonder how it will all work out.

Echoing what the others wrote. I've read pretty much every book out there on the FLDS and am shocked that a woman is going to be in power. I was also a little surprised that she is polygamist.

That said I'm also surprised Elissa returned to Hildale, but good for her for going out and making some changes. I really liked her book and have thought of her a lot over the years. I'm hoping this is the end of the Jeffs rule and that politics and law will be more fair in the future.

As a side note, I was very very close to Colorado City last summer and was super tempted to drive on over. But my fear of the God Squad, and the fact that I was in a Prius, made me change my mind.

11 hours ago, PumaLover said:

As a side note, I was very very close to Colorado City last summer and was super tempted to drive on over. But my fear of the God Squad, and the fact that I was in a Prius, made me change my mind.

The temptation is real.  I've never been to any of their bigger strongholds, but I've had numerous cross country driving trips that involved going through very rural parts of Utah and Arizona.  It's so strange to drive through a tiny looking town, one that doesn't seem to have much industry or earning potential, but see giant houses everywhere...and very few people.  We never did much beyond getting gas or buying snacks, but I've always wanted to see more.  

I’ve driven through hilldale and Colorado city numerous times on my way to southern Utah when Jeffs was still in charge. Never had a problem. While the god squad is real, it’s really hyped up for tv shows. Yes, you’ll get some weird looks. The people in conservative dresses will not look at you. It’s more of a ghost town, though. I️ have run into many of the followers at Walmart or some of the restaurants in st. George and it’s hard not to do a double take, but I’ve been told that the locals are used to seeing them. 

Archived