IGNORED

Lori Alexander 33: Counting Everyone's Calories

I read a Cracked article that reminded me of Lori because of the following insights:

People who eat organic food tend to be selfish and judgmental.

Your Facebook "likes" can be used to predict your intelligence (or lack thereof).

Getting religious is a red flag when applying for a loan.

If you like bitter foods, there's an increased chance you're a psychopath.

Link: http://www.cracked.com/article_25109_6-ordinary-things-that-reveal-your-deepest-darkest-secrets.html

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm addicted to sugar, so I guess I'm definitely not a psychopath--whew!

On the other hand, my frequent "liking" of kitties and other fluffy mammals probably doesn't earn me many I.Q. points on this scale.:kitty-wink:

@EowynW  Ooh, I love Kerrygold butter! 

Well, today we have Lori talking about cancer.

I just had lunch with my parents yesterday and they said they never heard of anyone having cancer back when they were young but now we all know someone who has had it or died from it. It’s rampant! It’s killing our children so something must be done. No, it’s not finding more treatments for it which all have deadly side effects (like chemo). It’s living to the best of our ability to prevent it!

And the reasons for this, according to some of Lori's leghumpers, are vaccines, sin, and poor eating habits. Am I the only one who thinks this is quickly devolving into a 'blame the cancer patient for her disease' post?

5 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Well, today we have Lori talking about cancer.

And the reasons for this, according to some of Lori's leghumpers, are vaccines, sin, and poor eating habits. Am I the only one who thinks this is quickly devolving into a 'blame the cancer patient for her disease' post?

I wonder if it has ever occurred to Lori that more people may be developing cancer because they're actually living long enough, and not dying of other causes before cancer can start, or be diagnosed? That we are better able to detect cancer, in earlier stages, when in the past we simply wouldn't have known to look for it, much less how? That an apparent increase in childhood cancer could be that we're just now able to find it? I'm pretty sure there has been a decrease in unexplained mortality in children and adults, which just means we have a better idea what is killing them.  

1 minute ago, delphinium65 said:

I wonder if it has ever occurred to Lori that more people may be developing cancer because they're actually living long enough, and not dying of other causes before cancer can start, or be diagnosed? That we are better able to detect cancer, in earlier stages, when in the past we simply wouldn't have known to look for it, much less how? That an apparent increase in childhood cancer could be that we're just now able to find it? I'm pretty sure there has been a decrease in unexplained mortality in children and adults, which just means we have a better idea what is killing them.  

Probably not. She mentions in her post that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, James Madison, etc, all lived to great old ages, and that was before our 'advanced medical care and vaccinations.' I don't think statistics was on her college course list, not to mention the science courses necessary to understand why we now know so much more about diseases than we used to.  :my_dodgy:

And George Washington was only 67 when he died, poor man. As one fast approaching 60 myself, that does not seem like such a long life to me! :pb_eek:  LOL

13 hours ago, dairyfreelife said:

Lori keeps buying all this expensive "organic" food. Shouldn't be a better steward of her time and husband's money? Shouldn't she be on a farm gathering truly organic eggs and milk? 

I am seriously laughing at the thought of her on a farm. I'd pay money to see that ever happen. Hilarity will ensue. 

You make a good point. A lot of the things she buys at hugely marked up prices, she could gather, grow, or make by herself. I've picked berries, made jam, made yogurt, prepped garden beds, grown tons of vegetables and processed them. All of that takes work. Conveniently, Lori's aches and pains kick in just in time to stop her from doing these things. However, she does feel well enough to buy the high-priced equivalent at a fancy health food store, followed by an expensive lunch with her sister.

One thing I've noticed about wealthy health-food nuts--they eat out a lot. When you eat out, you have no idea what ingredients went into your food. I doubt the bread in the bread basket at Lori's favorite restaurant is made with fancy butter and eggs Lori likes to buy. Lori conveniently gets "health-food amnesia" when she eats out.

For that matter, when you buy a prepared soup at Whole Foods, who knows what the conditions were when the soup was made. Could be some guy with dirty hands cut up those veggies on a very yucky table. My daughter works in the restaurant industry and tells me stories you wouldn't believe.

Queen Victoria's eldest daughter, also named Victoria, died of breast cancer in 1901, shortly after her mother's death. 

Cancer has been around forever. The earliest references to cancer are from Ancient Egypt. 

I hate this bullshit. It is part of the "why your dad died from cancer and I am going to live forever" monologue that my asshole sister-in-law treats me to about three times a year. 

36 minutes ago, EowynW said:

@Hisey is yogurt hard to make?

No, it's easy,. However, my family liked store-bought just as well, so I stopped. You don't have to use a slow cooker, I seem to remember I used my oven. I also think that I calculated that I didn't save much money (since you  have to pay for the milk).

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

Does Lori's mother have cancer?  

That's true, I think she does. And Lori refers to her as a health nut.

My maternal grandmother died of uterine cancer in 1970. She ate strictly from her garden and, usually, the chickens raised in the yard. If chicken was not on the menu, she literally walked out into her backyard and shot whatever came by first - a rabbit, a couple of squirrels, a pheasant. Then she would, of course have to dress her kill before cooking it.  She ate as close to nature as she could because the family was POOR. She was feeding six children and her husband was not always home because - First World War II and then his factory job as a welder. 

So, eating like her ancestors did not save her and I am getting really sick and tired of Lori practically blaming cancer patients for their own illnesses. 

Also, her own healthy eating did not spare her from a brain tumor. 

Lori is talking out of her ass (big shock) about cancer. My maternal grandmother, may she rest in peace, cooked all of her food from scratch. Cooked food from scratch for hundreds of school children as well. Didn't do a damn bit of good, breast cancer took her before I was born. And to hear my mom tell it, the treatment was worse than the disease back then.

I LOVE canning jams and veggies, even though it's hard work. I don't pretend that it's going to extend my life, I think that it tastes better and it's being a good steward of what God has blessed me with.

@EowynW We did an exiperiment at school to determine the best homemade yogurt. It involved 15 brands of milks, 15 yogurts as starters , 15 spoons and a oven. But we wore lab coats, needed 50 spoons for the testers (us) and had a questionaire for 50 teenagers, so highly scientific unreachable for anyone :my_biggrin:  The result: Use the yogurt from the same brand as the milk. 

Don't get discouraged if it tastes like ....well, let's just say  not so good. Use a different brand of milk and yougurt and start again.

I still buy my yogurt as it costs 0. 45 Euros for the organic 100g. (for referrence non-organic yogurt is 0.39/100g. Milk is 1.35/Liter for my organic and 'fair to farmers' Lori-crazy brand or 0.79€/L for the cheapest. I admit I am acting like Lori when it comes to dairy. I switched to the organic , better dairy when I heard some methods could (I stress could) lead to an increase in lactose intolerance. I love dairy and will not admit that my body somehow decided that suddenly it doesn't like it. So I gave the expensive brand a try and my symptoms reduced. I don't care if is due to the quality of the milk as long as I can have 2 large cups of of coffee with plenty milk per day and not suffer for 24 hours.  -That is, as long as I can afford my craziness; otherwise I'll skip the second cup and the expensive brands. 

Despite being a freak I do not need a reminder that my miracle milk is holier than anybody-else's. Neither will I use someone's miracle milk just because the recipe calls for side-hugged milk. List milk and everyone buys their personal miracle milk. 

Lori´s father is a doctor and never, ever met a patient with cancer? It´s hard to belive. I´m the same age as Lori (58), I had a friend and when we were about 8-9 year old  her brother died of leucemia, he was 12.  So even in rural northern Finland there were children with cancer. Lori is full of BS.

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

My maternal grandmother died of uterine cancer in 1970. She ate strictly from her garden and, usually, the chickens raised in the yard. If chicken was not on the menu, she literally walked out into her backyard and shot whatever came by first - a rabbit, a couple of squirrels, a pheasant

Snip

I read that as peasant and was a little bit worried about your grandmothers diet :ABON:

My paternal grandmother died in the 50s of cancer.  She was in her early forties.  My maternal grandmother had cancer in the late 50s as well.  She survived.  Dr. Alexander has no clue what she's talking about.

It's very odd that her father (the pathologist) had never heard of anyone having cancer.  And yes, her mother (the health nut, according to Lori) has cancer.  The cognitive dissonance is astounding with this one.

3 hours ago, Hisey said:

You make a good point. A lot of the things she buys at hugely marked up prices, she could gather, grow, or make by herself. I've picked berries, made jam, made yogurt, prepped garden beds, grown tons of vegetables and processed them. All of that takes work. Conveniently, Lori's aches and pains kick in just in time to stop her from doing these things. However, she does feel well enough to buy the high-priced equivalent at a fancy health food store, followed by an expensive lunch with her sister.

One thing I've noticed about wealthy health-food nuts--they eat out a lot. When you eat out, you have no idea what ingredients went into your food. I doubt the bread in the bread basket at Lori's favorite restaurant is made with fancy butter and eggs Lori likes to buy. Lori conveniently gets "health-food amnesia" when she eats out.

For that matter, when you buy a prepared soup at Whole Foods, who knows what the conditions were when the soup was made. Could be some guy with dirty hands cut up those veggies on a very yucky table. My daughter works in the restaurant industry and tells me stories you wouldn't believe.

Yes I worked in an "authentic" Italian restaurant. The owners were actually from Italy. And I think their customers would be shocked to learn that they didn't make their own Alfredo sauce and instead sometimes it'd be land I'lake brand. and that the butter they used was just that fake canola oil stuff. Somethings were made from scratch but if we ran out of something (this happened often) out to Walmart we went. And the place was not very clean and as desperately as I tried to keep my salad station clean, I couldn't control the jerks walking around without gloves on. If you eat out I highly recommend never drinking from glasses without a straw, I've seen how they clean those things. But yes Lori has no idea about the cancerous germs floating around those restaurants she frequents. 

So what caused Lori's mother's cancer

Sin - personal and/or worldwide? Vaccines? Non-organic food -- oh wait she's a health nut so  scratch that  one.  Although It didn't seem to protect her did it. OK back to the list.  The microwave?  A spiritual component as one reader puts it?  Modern food rather than foods of old? Does Lori even know that vegetables today, even the non_GMO ones, are very different than veg from 1900?

How about -- she is a woman of 80 and has lived long enough that the odds are she'd get a disease.  And I'm just wondering, exactly what form of cancer she has.  Lori announced the news at least a year ago, but has not commented on her mother's health or treatment since.  Her mom was obviously well enough to go to Door County this summer so she can't be doing too badly. In recent pics Lori posted she doesn't look ill . Not an indicator I know, but still....

Lori's father was a pathologist. Surely he ran across at least one person with cancer while looking at slides. 

Here's something I've never understood:  Lori has always said her dad worked long, long hours, weekends, and even stayed home in the summers while the rest of the family went to Door Co,  Correct me if I'm wrong, but pathologist aren't on call like surgeons and GPs.  They aren't working all hours seeing to patients.  So why on earth was the man always at work?  Could it be that he just didn't want to be home?  Maybe her mom was the original pill and Lori was pill junior and he just couldn't bear it. 

Edited to add:  In the early 1950s one of my daddy's much older sisters died of lung cancer that ran amuck.  She was in her 40s.  She never smoked a cigarette in her life.  She lived about a year after the diagnosis. An awful year I understand in which they removed a lung, realized how the disease had spread, patched her up and sent her home to die.

Lori:

One of my favorite nutrionally-minded doctors said that eating out is like playing Russian Roulette with your health because we have no idea what is in the food. 

Lori eats out every.single. week (at least once, sometimes multiple times).

Every Saturday, Ken and I walk along the beach and then eat at our favorite breakfast place with my parents.

In another post she writes about another place they go once a week:

We have been going once a week for the happy hour.  

Their Sangria is AMAZING!!!  Although, you either love it or hate it...Ryan, Erin, and I love it.  Ken hates it.  It is sweet with a hint of cinnamon and lots of yummy berries in it.  The bread is amazing and the pesto you use to dip it in...Oh my! I do enjoy obeying the verse about having a little wine for your frequent ailments...:)!

we love the Maui tacos.  The sauce is incredible.  Ken orders two, I order one...I love to eat the bread!

Then there's the place where she meets her friend for salad, and the restaurant with the embroidered sayings on the wall, and of course, the pizza place.  The lady practically lives in a restaurant!

We don't have any way to know what many people in history died from- cancer often isn't particularly obvious and it's not like there aren't any number of things that can (for example) make you cough up blood, waste away, and then die.

I suspect that there is something environmental causing the noticeable increase in the rate, but I also suspect (like global warming) that the role of the controllable behavior of consumers is being vastly overstated in many cases. Yes, you shouldn't smoke, drink like a fish, live on an all hot-dog diet, etc, but most of the carcinogens you're exposed to on a daily basis are outside your control. If you even know they're carcinogens...

3562936605_3aeb288f25.jpg.e9ea270beb6e34910e80d4b15794e509.jpg

Like, hey, plants uptake TCE, isn't that a fun fact?

Yummy! Yummy!  That's a word a five year old uses. 

Dammit, can't the woman write like an adult .  Delicious, luscious, delectable. mouth-watering, tasty, appetizing, flavorful, scrumptious, finger-licking, melt-in-your-mouth, succulent, heavenly, amazing, divine, savory, ambrosial, fit-for-a-king, enticing, exquisite,  et,, etc, 

Anything but yummy,  Oh and let's ban nourishing/ nutritious while we're at it

Eating out that many times I often wondered, how many days she actually eats her salad and soup? She makes a salad every for days. But does she split it into 4 portions, 2 or is it just one portion (+ the rest goes into the bin)?  Or is it soup, salad and restaurant every day?  

If her salad is just one portion, she can fix a new, fresh one every four days and it is not gross. However in this case her raw-egg-dressing will last so long it basically starts to hatch. If she has soup, salad + restaurant food, her portion size must be super tiny given her obsession with weight. She might only eat a couple of bites from everything she orders like my anorexic friend (of course a good drink is a different story)

My great-grandmother died of breast cancer in 1899 at the age of 49.  Death certificates are a rather recent invention and were not universally required in the U.S. until the early 1900s. Even then, looking back at old ones, the cause of death is often vague. I've seen "softening of the brain", "inanition" and "the ague" cited.  So there is no empirical evidence to support her claims.

Infant/child mortality was shockingly high before the 20th century. Likely cancer has moved up to second leading cause of death because viral, bacterial and parasitic causes have moved down.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived